This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-06-18 03:41:37

kayybee
Scratcher

Re: Project theft solution

How about if anyone remixes anything, there'll be a box for "remix changes" so people who directly copy it will be like "..." I know it won't stop all of them but it will help

#27 2012-06-18 04:12:22

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Though with 2.0 coming up, i have an idea.
Maybe there is some way that the editor can check to see if the new project file is the exact same as the old one, minus the section about what the project is based on.  True, there would be many ways to cheat this, but at least it would prevent about 90% of direct copies (my estimate), so it may be worth putting into place.
TL,DR: Machine check each file to see if it's a duplicate
TL,DR:TL,DR: Machine check thing for double  smile

The development team is actually exploring ideas very similar to this in Scratch 2.0!  Better ways of stopping direct copies and better ways to show credit.  We know this is a problem area.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#28 2012-06-18 04:15:02

Wes64
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Though with 2.0 coming up, i have an idea.
Maybe there is some way that the editor can check to see if the new project file is the exact same as the old one, minus the section about what the project is based on.  True, there would be many ways to cheat this, but at least it would prevent about 90% of direct copies (my estimate), so it may be worth putting into place.
TL,DR: Machine check each file to see if it's a duplicate
TL,DR:TL,DR: Machine check thing for double  smile

The development team is actually exploring ideas very similar to this in Scratch 2.0!  Better ways of stopping direct copies and better ways to show credit.  We know this is a problem area.

Awesomesauce. That sonds great!

Experienced 2.0 Tester: Ask me questions!
Using Firefox 13.0, Flash plugin version 11.4.402.287, and Windows XP Professional.

#29 2012-06-21 21:23:41

boardsmm
New Scratcher

I suggest some kind of auto-credit feature for 2.0. Simply a list with names (links) of creators to previous iterations of the project. A user should perhaps be able to add names to this list, but not subtract names he himself did not add to it. (Or maybe what I just said should be links to the referenced projects instead of the creators.)

Also, fellow scratchers visiting a project should perhaps be able to "suggest" names that should be referenced.

My son who just turned 8 today is happily learning Scratch. It is so much fun and I would not be surprised if he is a great contributor to the coding community one day. As for now, though, it is SIMPLY too much to expect him to credit stuff properly. He can't even remember to put on his t-shirt. And it CANNOT fairly be compared to "theft" because code is a lot more abstract than "a candy" or whatever, especially when you are *supposed* to download other peoples code and learn/experiment/manipulate it. As for my soon 10 yr old daughter, she might better grasp the "theft" aspect but the greater concern, for me, is to keep her interest up in Scratch all together. Anything that is boring would just, well, you get it. The way to do it is to have the *system* do it automatically. If properly designed, it'll set a good role model for kids to learn from. And one day they will experience someone else using their work and begin to *understand* the concern.

Also if the system deals with this, it should be simple to keep track of whose work is used/copied etc - which is something that the original creator should get credit for! I suggest a "Top Inspirator List" or some such, showcasing the most "copied" projects to give them the honor they deserve. Copying IS after all a definite sign for appreciation, much more than a "like" vote.

Thank you!

#30 2013-02-12 21:17:22

joshuaho
Scratcher

Wes64 wrote:

Theft should be dealt with more severely. I see stolen projects at least 5 times a day. My projects are each copied at least 2-3 times on average. Some users have whole pages of copied projects. Sometimes a stolen project even makes it onto the front page.

I say if the scratch team concludes a project is stolen/copied, the copier gets a warning. Next time they steal, 2 day ban from sharing projects. For each offense after this, the ban doubles. So 4 days > 8 > 16 > etc...

For this, we could have a team of trusted users like with SDS, whose job is to go through all the projects marked as stolen. This would lessen the workload on the Scratch Team.

If it was stolen, you should first let the original uploader know about the theft. Then, flag it.

I had seen this type of theft, before, and so, I let the original uploader know about this. The original uploader and I gave him warnings, but it did not work. So, we flagged the project and it was removed.

The ban idea is a good one!  wink

Did you know that you can go to space and see Mars by clicking here?

#31 2013-02-12 21:26:39

joshuaho
Scratcher

northmeister wrote:

Lots of my projects are remixed without the remixer changing anything. I reported them, and it said remixing is allowed and you have to try to support it or something. I agree when they change stuff, but not if they don't change anything. In my minecraft series, someone copied Minecraft Cool Stuff Part 7, kept the title exactly the same (they didn't even change it to part 1 as they hadn't made any before), they kept the notes the same with my upcoming projects and such, and it got quite a few views from people who didn't see the based on sign and thought that they had made it. I've seen quite a few copied projects without a based on link, when the copiers import the project into a new project, and it's completely unacceptable.

First, ask nicely about credit or deleting the project, if the comments are not locked. If the comments are not locked, type in that you made it in the tag. If it still does not work, tell the remixer that you will flag it. If that still does not work, flag the project.
When you flag a copied project, you will need to describe how it is inappropiate. So, you need to say that it was a copied version. That way, the ST will listen more. I once flagged a copied project, told them it was a copied one, and in a few days, when I looked at the remix, there was only a scratch cat in the screen, which meant that it was removed.
I hope this helps.  tongue

#32 2013-02-14 15:32:59

joshuaho
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

There's no such thing as "stealing" projects on the Scratch website - by uploading a project, you agree that anybody can remix it, make changes, and upload it again to share with others. In general though, if a project is a direct copy (without any changes), then you can report it, and it will be removed - otherwise, it will stay.

In my opinion though, I consider it an honor to have one of my projects remixed. It basically means that they really liked the project, so they were inspired to download it, make changes (sometimes), and share it with their friends! The only situation where I might be angry is if somebody copied my project, and got front page.

The first two projects you linked to in your post did have changes, so they are not copies. Most likely the other projects also had changes too. Remember that remixing and making small changes is one of the easiest ways that people learn about how Scratch projects work, and what different blocks do - not all remixes will add a dozen new features.  smile

There is a problem, though. Some scratchers are saying that the project they made got COPIED literally. They flagged it, but then got a admin message about flagging a project for the wrong reason. But it was a copy! Is there anything wrong in flagging a copy? If not, then we would not get a message about flagging a project for the wrong reason.  hmm

#33 2013-02-14 15:58:08

joshuaho
Scratcher

TorbyFork234 wrote:

I don't support.

Many new scratchers are trying to see how the scratch program works. They look at the front page and say, "Hey, these projects are so good they're on the front page. What is it?"
Then they see it, and sometimes are amazed enough to download it to see how it works. Then they start experimenting by changing a number here and there, changing the color effect by somewhat. It helps them learn about the scratch program.

But, I also flag outright copies, or ones with the exact same project notes with almost no changes. But I think they have the right to upload a tinkered with project.

You are talking about remixing projects, but here, we are talking about copied projects. Project copying is NOT allowed and should be dealt with. Remixing helps, but scratchers can't copy projects.

Last edited by joshuaho (2013-03-21 16:27:04)

#34 2013-02-18 15:50:45

scratchisthebest
Scratcher

boardsmm wrote:

I suggest some kind of auto-credit feature for 2.0. Simply a list with names (links) of creators to previous iterations of the project. A user should perhaps be able to add names to this list, but not subtract names he himself did not add to it. (Or maybe what I just said should be links to the referenced projects instead of the creators.)

Nice idea!

Also, fellow scratchers visiting a project should perhaps be able to "suggest" names that should be referenced.

People might abuse this: people would add their name to a project they had nothing to do with in an attempt to "get popular", and we're back at square one.  sad

My son who just turned 8 today is happily learning Scratch. It is so much fun and I would not be surprised if he is a great contributor to the coding community one day. As for now, though, it is SIMPLY too much to expect him to credit stuff properly.

Perfect point. We don't need even more rules in Scratch. Frankly, like nobody reads the terms of service / guidelines, no matter how flashy / big they are.  sad

And it CANNOT fairly be compared to "theft" because code is a lot more abstract than "a candy" or whatever, especially when you are *supposed* to download other peoples code and learn/experiment/manipulate it.

Someone *please* stick this on the top of the community guidelines page.

As for my soon 10 yr old daughter, she might better grasp the "theft" aspect but the greater concern, for me, is to keep her interest up in Scratch all together. Anything that is boring would just, well, you get it.

True.

The way to do it is to have the *system* do it automatically. If properly designed, it'll set a good role model for kids to learn from. And one day they will experience someone else using their work and begin to *understand* the concern.

Also if the system deals with this, it should be simple to keep track of whose work is used/copied etc - which is something that the original creator should get credit for! I suggest a "Top Inspirator List" or some such, showcasing the most "copied" projects to give them the honor they deserve. Copying IS after all a definite sign for appreciation, much more than a "like" vote.

"the best kind of flattery" --my teacher

Thank you!

smile

Last edited by scratchisthebest (2013-02-18 15:51:28)

bye 1.4, we all loved you. but we all outgrew the site. 2.0 is a welcome change.
http://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.png

#35 2013-02-18 18:26:45

bob6
Scratcher

boardsmm wrote:

My son who just turned 8 today is happily learning Scratch. It is so much fun and I would not be surprised if he is a great contributor to the coding community one day. As for now, though, it is SIMPLY too much to expect him to credit stuff properly. He can't even remember to put on his t-shirt. And it CANNOT fairly be compared to "theft" because code is a lot more abstract than "a candy" or whatever, especially when you are *supposed* to download other peoples code and learn/experiment/manipulate it. As for my soon 10 yr old daughter, she might better grasp the "theft" aspect but the greater concern, for me, is to keep her interest up in Scratch all together. Anything that is boring would just, well, you get it. The way to do it is to have the *system* do it automatically. If properly designed, it'll set a good role model for kids to learn from. And one day they will experience someone else using their work and begin to *understand* the concern.

Thank you!

+1
Especially the "Top Inspirator List". That was a stroke of genius. If someone copies, they're just helping the victim! Although the only problem with this is that someone could create multiple accounts and remix one project to get it to top inspirator.

http://i46.tinypic.com/3148ksz.gif

Board footer