This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-01-01 15:07:57

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

Moonbyte: a programming language in Scratch

Hello this is the MoonByte collaboration. Our goal is to build an object orientated programming language where you can edit the code of the language and create extensions that add code through a special feature, and in 2.0 share the extensions worldwide. Coders are needed and how it is done is first we have a language built in Scratch, then we build a duplicate language running in that language and a duplicate running in that one. You might ask why that is. Its because extension coding requires using extension scripts in extensions so we have to implement extensions at 3 levels and that means we need 3 levels. Thanks and please join. Note once the first layer is done this project will be mostly made in MoonByte.

Announcement
I have decided a few new things for this collaboration. First I decided we will be making many languages in the process of making MoonByte. First will be SunByte a fully Scratch based object orientated language. Then will be PlanetByte a better version of SunByte built in SunByte. Then comes MoonByte built in PlanetByte which is the same thing as PlanetByte but with more features. In MoonByte you can make extensions in PlanetByte and use those extensions in PlanetByte to make more extensions by implementing them at all 3 levels using converters which can be done from PlanetByte to SunByte. Then we can make versions of MoonByte named after different moons with GUI's and stuff. Our current goal is to develop SunByte. Also I have chosen to abandon our collaborations account so we can make this in 2.0 beta. Thanks YMIBANWAH.

Head Developer- YMIBANWAH
Team Leader- estile
Coders-

I'm considering restarting this from the beginning in 2.0. If you want to then post on this thread, and if you do, I'm wondering if you want me to start up a fresh thread.

Last edited by YMIBANWAH (2013-05-03 08:29:53)

Ingarts read it today!

#2 2013-01-02 10:05:51

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

Re: Moonbyte: a programming language in Scratch

Bump

Ingarts read it today!

#3 2013-01-05 17:17:27

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

Bump, anybody this would be a great project!

Ingarts read it today!

#4 2013-01-05 18:29:57

kayybee
Scratcher

this would be much to advanced for me, but I'll help you a little by saying this:
link to this page in your signature with the BBCode URL tags, it makes it easier for people to click
also, maybe show a sample of what you've done so far, so people know they aren't just signing up for a fake project

#5 2013-01-10 20:40:21

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

this would be much to advanced for me, but I'll help you a little by saying this:
link to this page in your signature with the BBCode URL tags, it makes it easier for people to click
also, maybe show a sample of what you've done so far, so people know they aren't just signing up for a fake project

Ok thanks, and if you can join it won't be a problem because after I get a version where you can use the language to code the language it will be much easier, and thanks for all the help, and I was waiting for people to join to start but might as well start, so people join!

Ingarts read it today!

#6 2013-01-13 10:24:29

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

Come on please join! I'm working on the bottom layer, and if nobody joins, I will just have to do it myself.

Ingarts read it today!

#7 2013-01-28 20:17:26

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

Bump

Ingarts read it today!

#8 2013-01-30 22:11:38

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Seems interesting. What will this be programmed in (I hope not binary)?

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#9 2013-01-31 17:47:34

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

Scratch. I only collaborate in Scratch. It will be better in 2.0 because it can have a feature for sharing extensions. Would you like to join?

Ingarts read it today!

#10 2013-01-31 21:24:03

OrcaCat
Scratcher

YMIBANWAH wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Scratch. I only collaborate in Scratch. It will be better in 2.0 because it can have a feature for sharing extensions. Would you like to join?

Wait, you're writing this in Scratch? And I would join, but I'm too busy with two things: Pokemon Apple Red and my signature (click it if you're confused).

#11 2013-02-01 19:45:54

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

YMIBANWAH wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Wait, you're writing this in Scratch? And I would join, but I'm too busy with two things: Pokemon Apple Red and my signature (click it if you're confused).

I guess maybe in a little bit after we finish most of Apple Red. I'm thinking about closing this and rebooting it a little later

Ingarts read it today!

#12 2013-02-11 16:27:49

pinnipediator
Scratcher

I'm a bit busy with the thing from orcacat's signature too, well, not right now anyway. Iv got some ideas that might help, and I'm very fluent with scratch 1.4, but I can't be very active. I might be able to help a bit though.

#13 2013-02-11 16:29:44

jamiewinter
Scratcher

i could be a team leader as long as i get to do some coding to also how about 2 separate leaders for different times?

Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/axelregulator/featured

#14 2013-02-11 16:40:46

pizza22
Scratcher

YMIBANWAH wrote:

Come on please join! I'm working on the bottom layer, and if nobody joins, I will just have to do it myself.

Hello, I am quite interested. I used to do a bit of python 3.0x so I know some of that syntax. I made a python project which could run simple (print) functions

#15 2013-02-11 18:05:47

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

pizza22 wrote:

YMIBANWAH wrote:

Hello, I am quite interested. I used to do a bit of python 3.0x so I know some of that syntax. I made a python project which could run simple (print) functions

Your in and can start whenever, plus I was thinking of similar syntax to Java. What do you want to help with?

Ingarts read it today!

#16 2013-02-11 18:07:59

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

jamiewinter wrote:

i could be a team leader as long as i get to do some coding to also how about 2 separate leaders for different times?

The team leader is the Manager under the leader who supervises, and yes you can program that's what this is about, and the Team Leader stays at all times because the other guys in the future are just added onto the team.

Ingarts read it today!

#17 2013-02-11 18:09:14

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

I'm a bit busy with the thing from orcacat's signature too, well, not right now anyway. Iv got some ideas that might help, and I'm very fluent with scratch 1.4, but I can't be very active. I might be able to help a bit though.

Sounds good and this will be both 1.4 and 2.0 based on your preference, and as long as you say something within 2 weeks of your last post I won't care about activity.

Ingarts read it today!

#18 2013-02-12 13:54:41

pizza22
Scratcher

YMIBANWAH wrote:

pizza22 wrote:

YMIBANWAH wrote:

Your in and can start whenever, plus I was thinking of similar syntax to Java. What do you want to help with?

Thanks, I am happy to do anything. But I could think of synatx if you like? Have we got a name?

#19 2013-02-12 17:46:06

pinnipediator
Scratcher

We should have graphics based around a graph, where you assign the axis, so if you want want 2d animation, you assign x, y and u (4th dimension- time, axis label, u). Assigning z axis would be a bit hard though. The graphics should be based on graph- based axis points, so you could have

Assign x  #create axis for grid
assign y
assign u

triangle = join:  # join  points listed below and call the      result triangle
  plot (1,3)=A
  plot (2,4)=B
  plot (3,5)=C
end join

From u 0 to u 10 # from frames 0 to 10 ( points on u axis)
translate triangle (+ x 5) # across the duration of frames 0 to 10, move triangle 5 points sideways

This is probably too complex for scratch, I just had a flash of inspiration. You might get where I'm going though.

#20 2013-02-12 17:46:43

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

pizza22 wrote:

YMIBANWAH wrote:

pizza22 wrote:

Thanks, I am happy to do anything. But I could think of synatx if you like? Have we got a name?

No name yet, and the thing about syntax is that a line of real code could take multiple lines so paramaters can easily be read by the program. Also first I need command functions before we need to make any syntax so we know what to make it for.

Ingarts read it today!

#21 2013-02-12 18:22:44

OrcaCat
Scratcher

I think we should make this in batch, if that's possible.

Last edited by OrcaCat (2013-02-12 18:23:42)

#22 2013-02-12 19:16:09

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

I don't know enough to make that so I think we will develop it in scratch and then port it into java or whatever else after and are you going to join because you used we as if you were part of it.

Last edited by YMIBANWAH (2013-02-12 19:19:24)

Ingarts read it today!

#23 2013-02-12 19:48:29

YMIBANWAH
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

We should have graphics based around a graph, where you assign the axis, so if you want want 2d animation, you assign x, y and u (4th dimension- time, axis label, u). Assigning z axis would be a bit hard though. The graphics should be based on graph- based axis points, so you could have

Assign x  #create axis for grid
assign y
assign u

triangle = join:  # join  points listed below and call the      result triangle
  plot (1,3)=A
  plot (2,4)=B
  plot (3,5)=C
end join

From u 0 to u 10 # from frames 0 to 10 ( points on u axis)
translate triangle (+ x 5) # across the duration of frames 0 to 10, move triangle 5 points sideways

This is probably too complex for scratch, I just had a flash of inspiration. You might get where I'm going though.

Sounds cool but way to advanced I was thinking of simple graphics first. I think the simple graphics should be useable to make extensions with advanced graphical abilities.

Ingarts read it today!

#24 2013-02-12 19:57:46

OrcaCat
Scratcher

YMIBANWAH wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

I don't know enough to make that so I think we will develop it in scratch and then port it into java or whatever else after and are you going to join because you used we as if you were part of it.

Well, yes, but don't expect me to be too active.

#25 2013-02-13 06:20:44

jamiewinter
Scratcher

So when do we start and what type of programming language are we making inside of scratch, to confirm.

Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/axelregulator/featured

Board footer