This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-02-04 15:16:31

shadowmouse
New Scratcher

Scrollable canvas

What about being able to expand the canvas?
Novices could keep the canvas the same size as it usually is but more advanced users could increase it (via a button in scratch, not a block) and then decrease it again if there is a problem.
Then you could have motion blocks for the stage/background/whatever you want to call it, even rotation blocks because you could always have point in direction or go to blocks to pull the canvas back to the right orientation and place if things go wrong. This could be very useful for side scrollers and games with a large map.

#2 2013-02-05 00:52:57

Necromaster
Scratcher

Re: Scrollable canvas

It's called: "Multiple sprites representing different areas on the map, it's very easy to setup."

#3 2013-02-05 11:56:47

shadowmouse
New Scratcher

But if you do that, then it jumps from one area to another. I mean if you could have each area that you can smoothly and easily scroll around and then move to the next area. Say I was to make a pokemon red/blue clone, if each village could only be the size of the normal canvas then it would greatly reduce playability. The alternate of making a sprite for every grid-square is a very long winded way of doing it.

On second thoughts, what if the paint editor would go bigger than thd stage so that even if the stage stayed at the same size you could make something much bigger scroll across it without it jerking.

#4 2013-02-05 12:32:52

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

Hmm...could have sworn I already said something here... Anyway, jumping from one area to another, I'm not certain what you mean by that. Many have made smooth scrollers with multiple background sized sprites, they aren't hugely complicated. More info on them is here.

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

Board footer