This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-02-01 08:38:13

grtabor
New Scratcher

How to check WeDo hardware is working

Hi. I'm new - hello everyone.

I've just bought the Lego WeDo robotics set for my son for his birthday (coming up 7). I can predict he will be incredibly pleased when he receives this and really keen to get it running so I thought it would be sensible to check out how it works - I'm aiming to use it with Scratch (hence the post here). I have Scratch running on my computer and tried plugging in the USB unit and the motor/distance sensor. Although I can find the blocks (I had to switch on "Show Motor Blocks" to find the motor blocks; it didn't auto recognise) nothing seems to activate - I can't get the motor to operate or the sensor to sense. Is there any way of checking what is going wrong? I can think of 3 alternatives:

1. I need to do something to Scratch to get it to recognise the USB unit
2. My computer USB connection is faulty/inadequate for the purpose
3. The WeDo unit is faulty

(any other possibilities?) I'd like to eliminate 1 or 2 before going back to the suppliers as they will probably tell me to get the WeDo programming environment (which I don't want to do as its a. expensive and b. less good than Scratch, which I/my son is already learning).

Any help gratefully received

Gavin

#2 2013-02-02 01:11:36

MrFlash67
Scratcher

Re: How to check WeDo hardware is working

Try installing a driver, that was my friend's problem with the pictoboard.

Who would win, SOPA or PIPA?

#3 2013-02-02 01:41:09

abee
Scratcher

Hi grtabor
I guess you did a good choice for your son!

grtabor wrote:

1. I need to do something to Scratch to get it to recognise the USB unit

Nothing requires. Just plug it into any USB port. WeDo will be recognized as a HID (Human Interface Device). So it doesn't need any drivers. You can check it at "device manager", if you are using Windows.
In usual, when you start Scratch, motor blocks will come up after a couple of seconds.
What OS and version do you use? If you're using some kind of Linux, you need to modify some files.

2. My computer USB connection is faulty/inadequate for the purpose

It is possible case. Try other USB ports first. If you connect WeDo via a bus powered USB hub, its electric current might be insufficient to drive it. In this case, connect it your PC directly or use self powered USB hub.

3. The WeDo unit is faulty

It is a worst case. I recommend to test your WeDo with other PC. If it still doesn't work, your WeDo might have a trouble.
I hope it helps you.

#4 2013-02-02 07:37:36

grtabor
New Scratcher

Thanks. I was trying it on my Ubuntu workstation at work - I'll sneak the unit home and try it on the Windows machine. Abee - you mention modifying files in Linux - can you fill me in with some more details? (I'd like to be able to use it with Linux)

Gavin

#5 2013-02-02 22:42:30

abee
Scratcher

OK. Please check the following topic.
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic … 61#p871961
That is about Scratch_1.4.0.1-0ubuntu5_i386.deb but I guess it's same for scratch_1.4.0.6~dfsg1-2~ubuntu12.04.1_all.deb.

#6 2013-02-09 14:31:50

grtabor
New Scratcher

Just to say the hardware works fine with Windows 7 machine - plugged it in, it searched for the driver and came up with something appropriate in a minute or so. Abee: Thanks for the link I'll explore that.

G

#7 2013-03-29 01:07:37

EllaDuncan
New Scratcher

I am using WeDo with Scratch on Ubuntu. It works absolutely fine.

Board footer