This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-07-03 23:05:37

smallkat
Scratcher

Posting projects on website from school

Hi all,

I'm using Scratch in my ICT classes and love it. The one problem I have with it is I wanted all students to post their projects on the website but as the school has a proxy server it wouldn't allow it. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kate

#2 2009-07-04 05:17:55

natalie
Scratch Team

Re: Posting projects on website from school

Scratch 1.4 now has support for proxy servers.

Proxy server settings can be specified by editing the file called scratch.ini and adding the following:

ProxyServer=[server name or IP address]
ProxyPort=[port number]

Does that work for you?

#3 2009-07-04 06:30:53

immense
Scratcher

dont work for me

#4 2009-07-07 01:27:29

smallkat
Scratcher

Thanks Natalie, I'll talk to our IT guys and get them to give it a go.

#5 2009-07-13 02:55:51

smallkat
Scratcher

Hi Natalie,

I just tried it at school however it failed as I am behind an authenticated proxy.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kate

#6 2009-07-16 02:23:55

smallkat
Scratcher

Any ideas? I'm really hoping to get this working so that students can post their projects and get a real experience of sharing their work with others and having others comment on their projects.

Thanks again,

Kate

#7 2009-07-16 07:33:13

dav09
Scratcher

try using html code to upload it! .to get html code click embed on the project , click copy and paste it into a html box on the website. hope that works

#8 2009-07-20 01:47:06

smallkat
Scratcher

Thanks for the idea dav09 but I was hoping for something a bit easier as I want two classes of 26 kids to be able to upload their projects in class without any major hassles.

Kate

#9 2009-07-20 06:32:52

dav09
Scratcher

Its actually really easy.
1upload project
2click embed on the side
3copy the "as an applet code"
5paste it onto the website!
as easy as that

Last edited by dav09 (2009-07-23 05:37:22)

#10 2009-07-23 02:19:18

smallkat
Scratcher

Step 1 is the part I can't do. I can't upload the project from inside the school. I open a project I have made, click Share - Share this Project Online (I'm using Scratch 1.4) and it asks me for my username and password and the details of the project.

I fill in all the details and click Share.

It sits on Uploading... Connecting to scratch.mit.edu for a while. Then comes up with Failed: Address not found.

Any ideas?

#11 2009-07-23 05:37:06

dav09
Scratcher

smallkat wrote:

Step 1 is the part I can't do. I can't upload the project from inside the school. I open a project I have made, click Share - Share this Project Online (I'm using Scratch 1.4) and it asks me for my username and password and the details of the project.

It sits on Uploading... Connecting to scratch.mit.edu for a while. Then comes up with Failed: Address not found.

Any ideas?

Is the internet connection a good quality ?
Have you any viruses on your school computer ?
If your memory on your computer it might stop it from uploading !
And is your project below 10MB (thats the max for projects  ) ?

#12 2009-07-23 06:16:33

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

smallkat wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi smallkat - Many schools use what's called a proxy server when they set up their network.  This can mess up the Scratch Share function.  I think you will need to get your school's network people involved before you are going to be able to get Share to work.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#13 2009-07-23 06:47:36

dav09
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

smallkat wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi smallkat - Many schools use what's called a proxy server when they set up their network.  This can mess up the Scratch Share function.  I think you will need to get your school's network people involved before you are going to be able to get Share to work.

If this is the case just save a file to a saved e mail and then upload it at home!

#14 2009-07-30 22:44:15

smallkat
Scratcher

Hi guys,

I know it's a proxy issue. I'm behind an authenicated proxy so when I press share it asks for my scratch username and password but not my school internet username and password which means the students can't upload their work.

The students don't have scratch installed at home (and not all will install it) so I want everyone to upload projects from behind the authenicated proxy server. Is still possible?

Can there be a way of logging into the website and uploading the project from there so I can just get around this issue completely?

Thanks.

#15 2009-07-31 06:14:14

dav09
Scratcher

smallkat wrote:

Hi guys,

I know it's a proxy issue. I'm behind an authenicated proxy so when I press share it asks for my scratch username and password but not my school internet username and password which means the students can't upload their work.

The students don't have scratch installed at home (and not all will install it) so I want everyone to upload projects from behind the authenicated proxy server. Is still possible?

Can there be a way of logging into the website and uploading the project from there so I can just get around this issue completely?

Thanks.

if you could disable the proxy server for your classroom for a limited time or is you saved the projects onto your memory stick or save them in a email well then they wouldnt have to upload them ! you could upload them from your computer at home !

#16 2009-08-10 19:34:39

smallkat
Scratcher

Thanks for the ideas Dav09 but we can't disable the proxy server and me uploading the projects for the students defeats many of the aims I'm trying to achieve - i.e. they won't get the comments on their site, they will appear on mine and while the students can read them this is not the ideal situation. I really want the students to upload their own projects during class time.

Can someone from the scratch team let me know if there's any work being done to fix the proxy issue or if there can be a function added to the website to add projects online when you're logged in - thus avoiding the proxy issue.

Thanks.

#17 2009-08-15 09:17:56

dav09
Scratcher

smallkat wrote:

Thanks for the ideas Dav09 but we can't disable the proxy server and me uploading the projects for the students defeats many of the aims I'm trying to achieve - i.e. they won't get the comments on their site, they will appear on mine and while the students can read them this is not the ideal situation. I really want the students to upload their own projects during class time.

Can someone from the scratch team let me know if there's any work being done to fix the proxy issue or if there can be a function added to the website to add projects online when you're logged in - thus avoiding the proxy issue.

Thanks.

how about disableing the proxy server just for a limited time whiles the projects are been uploaded and then turn it back on when its finished the upload ! im not sure will this help but i think the reason this is happening is because the scratch servers are interacting with the proxy server and the scratch server crashes

#18 2009-08-15 09:21:53

frogger3140
Scratcher

Anybody have 1337 59u3@k 5k1115

http://j.mp/piBfFy
Woo, even better minecraft clone! | I feel that programming is better than animation, because you can interact with games but not animations.

Board footer