This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-01-01 12:18:52

Rocker98585
Scratcher

Advanced Scratch Idea

I have an epic Scratch idea: Advanced Scratch!

Features it would have:
-File manipulation
-File download block
-3D Game Making Easier: Games like Minecraft
-internet databases!
-text boxes. i need them.
-speech detection
-full screen games
-EXE Creation!
-Green Flag and Stop Button REMOVED
-Ability to Create Web Browsers
-Device manipulation
-DVD Capable!
-Much much much much more things I can imagine. Let's just say it can do anything c++ can do.

Please give responses!

Last edited by Rocker98585 (2013-01-01 12:19:08)

#2 2013-01-01 15:11:54

LS97
Scratcher

Re: Advanced Scratch Idea

That's cool, but then why not just use C++. These features are so advanced that the people likely to use them would probably be fine with C++ or another text-based language.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that 3 of those features (the EXE creation without control buttons and fullscreen) are present in my Pro Scratch2EXE program. You can find some instructions in this post  smile

#3 2013-01-01 19:52:03

nathanprocks
Scratcher

Re: Advanced Scratch Idea

Some mods such as Panther have blocks to read and write files.
I think Panther can also get data from a web page.
There are already mods that can create a .exe file.
Dreamod is making a mod that has 3D blocks.
For the speech detection, you can write a program using the Microsoft Speech API for Windows that sends voice commands through Scratch's Remote Sensor Connections. For Macintosh, there is probably a speech recognition API available too.
Text boxes would be possible to make... You could make the text box in Squeak and make a reporter block:

(text box [textbox v])
Simple web browsers have already been made in Scratch modifications, but they are very limited with what you can do with them (no flash, images, video, etc).
Device manipulation is already possible with Remote Sensor Connections. The Scratch Sensor Board and Lego WeDo both work without modifying Scratch. There are also programs that let you use your mobile device (iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, etc) as a motion/tilt sensor.
If you can find a DVD player plugin for Squeak, then a DVD capable Scratch modification would be possible.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

Board footer