This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2012-12-03 16:04:05

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Re: Meet the Scratch 2.0 Dev Team!

Wow, bit of a derailment here guys.  smile 

I'm not much of a hacker, but I can tell you that the python code Scratch 2.0 is written in seems much easier to understand and read than the php of the current site.  smile 

But feel free to start a thread on python vs. php.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#52 2012-12-03 16:17:33

ImagineIt
Scratcher

JH1010 wrote:

I am afraid the future for Scratch is gloomy. Not the near future but in 10 years time everybody will use tablet computers. Since Scratch violates tablet app rules it will become defunct along with the computer itself.

Um... They'll update it?

#53 2012-12-03 16:19:53

ImagineIt
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

Just because the future is gloomy doesn't mean I can't say so.

How is the future gloomy? (except that they're using Python instead of PHP, and PHP is much more awesome)

1. No forums

Yes there will be...
2. No TBGs

Join tbgs.tk maybe?
3. No PHP
So? What's wrong with it being Python?

4. No comments in projects
So? They aren't needed, and nobody said they wouldn't be added, they just haven't YET.

5. No mods
Learn flash...

Me thinks that is enough.

#54 2012-12-03 18:44:21

veggieman001
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

JH1010 wrote:

I am afraid the future for Scratch is gloomy. Not the near future but in 10 years time everybody will use tablet computers. Since Scratch violates tablet app rules it will become defunct along with the computer itself.

Um... They'll update it?

I also disagree strongly that everyone will use tablet computers; there's still a significant portion of the population that just doesn't like using tablets. They've also got significantly less precise control. Programming on a tablet? No thank you.

#55 2012-12-03 19:14:22

henley
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

How is the future gloomy? (except that they're using Python instead of PHP, and PHP is much more awesome)

1. No forums
2. No TBGs
3. No PHP
5. No mods

1. There will be forums.
2. There are two or three user-made large TBG's with Scratch Members on them.
3. There's nothing wrong with that, Python is easier to understand anyways
4. Sorry if I'm not caught up on my Scratch 2.0 news, but I thought there were comments?
5. I'm sure there will be mods.

EDIT: If by "mods" you mean Scratch Modifications, then yes, there will be plenty. Flash is an actual programming language that people know.

Last edited by henley (2012-12-03 19:15:27)

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

#56 2012-12-03 19:19:30

henley
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

JH1010 wrote:

Um... They'll update it?

I also disagree strongly that everyone will use tablet computers; there's still a significant portion of the population that just doesn't like using tablets. They've also got significantly less precise control. Programming on a tablet? No thank you.

If they somehow make a precise, usable tablet anyways, there's no reason to say it wouldn't work with Scratch as of 2.0 anyways. No one would buy a tablet that doesn't support flash more than an actual computer, and if touching worked like a mouse, and there was some form of keyboard, and it runs flash, who's to say it wouldn't work with Scratch?

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

#57 2012-12-03 20:02:13

veggieman001
Scratcher

henley wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Um... They'll update it?

If they somehow make a precise, usable tablet anyways, there's no reason to say it wouldn't work with Scratch as of 2.0 anyways. No one would buy a tablet that doesn't support flash more than an actual computer, and if touching worked like a mouse, and there was some form of keyboard, and it runs flash, who's to say it wouldn't work with Scratch?

Adobe is phasing Flash out, slowly, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's no such thing as Flash in 10 years. It's already not supported for mobile devices—what's next?

#58 2012-12-03 21:02:44

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Greetings from Seattle! My friend Natalie alerted me of this thread. Thanks Natalie!  smile 

Indeed, I'm now at Microsoft Research, which is the academic branch of Microsoft (somewhat separate from the product side of things). I'm on the team that created a tool similar to Scratch called Kodu. If you like making 3D games you should check it out. So I'm still doing research related to online creativity (some of it using historic Scratch data, actually), so I'm still lurking around here from time to time  wink 

I'm also doing work on other things, such as online social movements (think Arab Spring).

Anyway, feel free to ping me on Twitter :-)

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#59 2012-12-03 21:15:34

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Greetings from Seattle! My friend Natalie alerted me of this thread. Thanks Natalie!  smile 

Indeed, I'm now at Microsoft Research, which is the academic branch of Microsoft (somewhat separate from the product side of things). I'm on the team that created a tool similar to Scratch called Kodu. If you like making 3D games you should check it out. So I'm still doing research related to online creativity (some of it using historic Scratch data, actually), so I'm still lurking around here from time to time  wink 

I'm also doing work on other things, such as online social movements (think Arab Spring).

Hi andresmh!  Nice to hear from you  smile
Have a nice time with Microsoft  big_smile

Hopefully we'll see you around a few times in the future  wink
(man, I go overboard on smilies a lot these days XD)

Last edited by SJRCS_011 (2012-12-03 21:16:26)

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#60 2012-12-03 21:19:16

jvvg
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Hey, Andres! As you could probably see, we've all been wondering where you've been. I am one of the few people that's actually looked at the ScratchR code, and I can say you definitely did a good job. It works really well. However, CakePHP is very confusing. Anyway, the Scratch Website was an awesome project, and I hope to do something that awesome in the future.

http://tiny.cc/zwgbewhttp://tiny.cc/e1gbewhttp://tiny.cc/zygbewhttp://tiny.cc/izgbew
Goodbye, Scratch 1.4  sad                                                        Hello Scratch 2.0!  smile

#61 2012-12-04 12:44:40

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

henley wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Adobe is phasing Flash out, slowly, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's no such thing as Flash in 10 years. It's already not supported for mobile devices—what's next?

That was just Steve Jobs...

Alt of Firedrake969.

#62 2012-12-04 18:40:00

veggieman001
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

henley wrote:

That was just Steve Jobs...

No, it's fo' tha reelz, my friend.

#63 2012-12-05 07:10:51

ImagineIt
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Hi, just wanted to give some feedback on Kodu. I feel it's a little empty. First off, there are no if-else statements and it's a pain needing to make a new line every time. Next, I dislike not being able to use your own characters. This could just be me not finiding it, but ok. Next, I wish you could use your own if statements. One example would be if x=54 and y=-32. On the keyboard, to make a confusing game where left arrow = left, and right = right, it doesn't let you really, because you can only choose all arrows as a whole. This is fine with all other keys though. There are more things, but I don't want to list them.

In conclusion, it's good for you if you're a beginner, but I think that if you become experienced in scratch, or any programming language, you will find it very empty.

#64 2012-12-05 21:41:45

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Wow, bit of a derailment here guys.  smile 

I'm not much of a hacker, but I can tell you that the python code Scratch 2.0 is written in seems much easier to understand and read than the php of the current site.  smile 

But feel free to start a thread on python vs. php.

Yay, Django!

Last edited by OrcaCat (2012-12-05 21:42:04)

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#65 2012-12-06 16:49:36

LuckyLatios
New Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

1. No forums
2. No TBGs
3. No PHP
5. No mods

1. Yes there will be...
2. tbgs.tk  smile
3. ... so? Why does THAT matter?
4. Maybe they aren't added yet.
5. Again, so?

#66 2012-12-06 21:49:46

henley
Scratcher

Why would anyone assume there's not going to be forums? Lol

#67 2012-12-08 06:34:59

JH1010
Scratcher

3) People thing that PHP is better than Python.
5) You will be able to make modifications to the Scratch Source Code because there will be a downoadable version. But you will have to make it in Flash and Python rather than Squeak and PHP.

Board footer