This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#251 2012-06-23 20:27:26

POP-MEOW
Scratcher

Re: Scratch 2.0 Update: Moving to the Cloud

i think you should be able to choose whether or not people can see a draft version your project, and furthermore, i think you should be able to disable downloads if you want to.
(like if you want no remixes or stolen ideas)

#252 2012-06-23 21:11:50

dreamod
New Scratcher

POP-MEOW wrote:

i think you should be able to choose whether or not people can see a draft version your project, and furthermore, i think you should be able to disable downloads if you want to.

Disabling downloads is disabling learning, not stealing. I have learned a lot about programming, most which I wouldn't have learned without downloading projects and learning from them. I feel that is important that one should be able to see all projects.

So, when you find an amazing project and want to learn from that, how would you feel if the user has disabled downloads? I would be upset. How much haven't you learned from other projects?

Keep in mind that everybody doesn't have a great java or flash player on their computer, so they might have to downloaded it for it to work. I could agree with the draft, though. I hope this has changed your opinion of the way you see downloading and remixing. Scratch is all (actually 33%) about sharing.

#253 2012-06-25 10:57:11

RoboNeo9
Scratcher

I think drafts should be private unless the creator of the project wants the draft to be out in the public.

#254 2012-06-25 23:03:51

cheeta
Scratcher

dreamod wrote:

POP-MEOW wrote:

Disabling downloads is disabling learning, not stealing. I have learned a lot about programming, most which I wouldn't have learned without downloading projects and learning from them. I feel that is important that one should be able to see all projects.

So, when you find an amazing project and want to learn from that, how would you feel if the user has disabled downloads? I would be upset. How much haven't you learned from other projects?

Keep in mind that everybody doesn't have a great java or flash player on their computer, so they might have to downloaded it for it to work. I could agree with the draft, though. I hope this has changed your opinion of the way you see downloading and remixing. Scratch is all (actually 33%) about sharing.

I have learned tons from looking at scripts of other projects. However, if I had just copied the scripts, like most people do, I would not learn a thing.  People's work should be able to be seen so people can learn how to make it, but remixing should be able to eneble or disable if the person wants there scripts to be used, not looked at for educational purposes.  Another, more important than remixing, is importing.  This needs to have an option to eneble / disable.  I worked for years on a project, shared, and got ignored.  To my horror, another person imported the entire project and got all the credit for it, even getting top loved, something I can only dream of.  The same can be done for scripts and sprites, not learning how to make or drawn them, but just copy.  We should have the choice to protect our work, even if people can still view our scripts to see how they were created.  At least this forces them to remake it, where they will figure some part of the programming out along the way.  And if they are not skilled enough to remake it, why should they deserve to use the scripts of another person if they can't even copy it.  Scripts should be able to be viewed always so Scratch remains the educational program it is, but users should be able to lock importing and remixing projects and sprites with their scripts.  This way Scratch will be even more educational because people will actually have to program their own work, with the help of viewing other's projects! Amazing.  And, with the choice off allowing remixing and importing, all those cool engines and scripts can still be used by others if the user approves.  Very serious programmers like me will be able to continue using Scratch with the comfort of knowing we will get credit for our work and not have to fear the effort we put into projects will be taken from us without even having a choice.

#255 2012-06-26 01:54:38

luiysia
Scratcher

I think it should be kind of like Google Docs, where you can choose to share it and you can assign sort of "ranks" to people, like people who can edit and people who can just look. I also think that live coding would be cool  smile

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#256 2012-06-26 09:42:46

dreamod
New Scratcher

cheeta wrote:

dreamod wrote:

POP-MEOW wrote:

I have learned tons from looking at scripts of other projects. However, if I had just copied the scripts, like most people do, I would not learn a thing.  People's work should be able to be seen so people can learn how to make it, but remixing should be able to eneble or disable if the person wants there scripts to be used, not looked at for educational purposes.  Another, more important than remixing, is importing.  This needs to have an option to eneble / disable.  I worked for years on a project, shared, and got ignored.  To my horror, another person imported the entire project and got all the credit for it, even getting top loved, something I can only dream of.  The same can be done for scripts and sprites, not learning how to make or drawn them, but just copy.  We should have the choice to protect our work, even if people can still view our scripts to see how they were created.  At least this forces them to remake it, where they will figure some part of the programming out along the way.  And if they are not skilled enough to remake it, why should they deserve to use the scripts of another person if they can't even copy it.  Scripts should be able to be viewed always so Scratch remains the educational program it is, but users should be able to lock importing and remixing projects and sprites with their scripts.  This way Scratch will be even more educational because people will actually have to program their own work, with the help of viewing other's projects! Amazing.  And, with the choice off allowing remixing and importing, all those cool engines and scripts can still be used by others if the user approves.  Very serious programmers like me will be able to continue using Scratch with the comfort of knowing we will get credit for our work and not have to fear the effort we put into projects will be taken from us without even having a choice.

I think that sounds even better. I would never dream of stealing something like that, so I really couldn't picture someone doing that. I also agree with luiysia (above).

#257 2012-06-26 10:46:00

cheeta
Scratcher

@Dreamod Yeah, sadly some people do, and there is no way for Scratch to be a serious programmer if you can't protect your work.  I don't know why Scratch has to force people to make their scripts available to everyone, I think everyone deserves a choice.  I have gotton good enough at Scratch to compete with many gaming sites out there, but am afraid to post anything at all after seeing work be stolen from me and most of my friends.  About a 20th of the top loved projects are complete rip offs of other games using the sprites and/or scripts of others.

I love the google docs idea, great for collabs!  You can put projects online knowing your scripts are only available to the people you choose, so if you are sharing a collab engine with you friend there won't be a chance another project appears with that engine before the collab is finished.

Last edited by cheeta (2012-06-26 10:48:49)

#258 2012-07-01 02:36:37

luiysia
Scratcher

Also, maybe there could be some way of telling where a sprite comes from, like a mouseover text or something. That might help with the theft, since at least people will know it wasn't completely original.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#259 2012-09-24 12:53:57

titangames
New Scratcher

I was wondering if Scratch 2.0 couyld have 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional lists, which would make it easier to make 2d and 3d games.

Exp: if item 2,3 of List = "Text"

I got this idea from the original Basic!

#260 2012-09-24 13:38:42

scimonster
Community Moderator

titangames wrote:

I was wondering if Scratch 2.0 couyld have 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional lists, which would make it easier to make 2d and 3d games.

Exp: if item 2,3 of List = "Text"

I got this idea from the original Basic!

I tried to get them to do it, but sorry, they won't.  sad

#261 2012-09-24 23:47:19

LiquidMetal
Scratcher

It should be possible to make a framework for imaginary extra dimensions with custom blocks in 2.0.

#262 2012-09-24 23:48:39

LiquidMetal
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

Also, maybe there could be some way of telling where a sprite comes from, like a mouseover text or something. That might help with the theft, since at least people will know it wasn't completely original.

All you would need to do is take a screenshot of the sprite, and import it as a new sprite, and any saved information about that sprite is lost.  sad

#263 2012-09-25 07:00:36

ProgrammingPro01
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

I think it should be kind of like Google Docs, where you can choose to share it and you can assign sort of "ranks" to people, like people who can edit and people who can just look. I also think that live coding would be cool  smile

That actually seems like a good idea, great for collaborations.

Bye 1.4!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sobbing.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

#264 2012-09-26 13:50:57

titangames
New Scratcher

Why won't it work? you just could have tabs for viewing the items in the list???

#265 2012-09-26 13:53:26

Gravitation
New Scratcher

titangames wrote:

Why won't it work? you just could have tabs for viewing the items in the list???

Wait, what exactly are you talking about?

#266 2012-10-10 12:01:33

Rick3137
Scratcher

Personally, I am for unrestricted remixing. Anything else is just plain BORING. For an example of boring, just look at the Stencyl website. There is no remixing and it shows.
  I never worry about someone stealing my stuff. I have made alot of stuff just for remixing and no one uses it. Anyone so good that they worry about loosing their work, should try another language.

#267 2012-10-10 12:16:38

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#268 2012-10-10 12:33:14

yousmiledatme
New Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

that /would/ be cool

#269 2012-10-10 13:29:36

transparent
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

Okay, I really like this idea. The only problem would be that some stuff would get overwritten and lost in the progress. Other than that, I really like it.  smile

yes, yes i do.

#270 2012-10-14 07:21:37

Remake
New Scratcher

I dont like it that much... My internet is bad. So when im working on a project, and my internet goes down, i will have everything lost. Thats pretty bad. But a 'Multiplayer Scratching' would be cool. Where you can watch someone who's scratching something. You just watch and learn. And also chat! That would be pretty cool. Sorry for bad english

-Remake ;D

#271 2012-10-14 07:33:55

transparent
Scratcher

Welcome to Scratch, Remake. Cool name, by the way.  wink

yes, yes i do.

#272 2012-10-14 13:03:57

ahirbhairav
Scratcher

Remake wrote:

I dont like it that much... My internet is bad. So when im working on a project, and my internet goes down, i will have everything lost. Thats pretty bad. But a 'Multiplayer Scratching' would be cool. Where you can watch someone who's scratching something. You just watch and learn. And also chat! That would be pretty cool. Sorry for bad english

-Remake ;D

That is AWESOME!

#273 2012-10-15 06:22:42

moretzprogramming
Scratcher

Remake wrote:

-Remake ;D

You can get the downloadable version.

Check out my music, Noise Dots (in flash), and my Upside-Down Cat!

#274 2013-01-07 02:52:43

happyjoey2012
Scratcher

but what if my scripts has passwords
eg: a chat room that only my friends can go on because they know the password
all someone has to do is press "look inside" and find the password.
I want a lockable look inside button.
yikes

i didn't trip i just attacked the floor with my ninja stile!

#275 2013-01-07 07:44:52

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

happyjoey2012 wrote:

but what if my scripts has passwords
eg: a chat room that only my friends can go on because they know the password
all someone has to do is press "look inside" and find the password.
I want a lockable look inside button.
yikes

then you'd have to use some sort of hashing, as there will be no way to lock the look inside button.
Or you could validate only by user id

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

Board footer