This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-03-17 03:02:39

joseph
Scratcher

Scratch and AI

HI I would like to see future upgrades to Scratch that allows for artificial intelligence and natural language programming a la Logo.  the treshold is low enough but the ceiling could be raised a lot more. I like Scratch a lot but there is a lot of potential for improvements. I wouldn't like to see Scratch remain a language for babies.
Now that we have this technology of   "visual programming"  lets develop it to its outmost and come up with a very sophisticated language.
Thanks.

#2 2007-03-17 05:03:48

serge
Scratcher

Re: Scratch and AI

I agree with you Joseph.
SCRATCH could be close to FLASH for example (and no need javascript programming), but SCRATCH must evolve,with sophisticated functions.

#3 2007-03-18 11:07:24

jay
Scratch Team

I often think to myself, what is the most powerful single feature I could add to Scratch without making it confusing? In doing this I have to consider the features that are already there and the experiences of a brand new Scratcher person. It is a fun and challenging design question. Do you have any thoughts?

#4 2007-04-11 23:59:01

pkimelma
Scratcher

Jay, one easy solution used by a lot of teaching systems is to uncover more features after they get used to it. So, you could have a beginning and advanced mode (under extras for example), which exposes more options and controls. This would help to reduce the problem you are concerned with. Being in beginning mode would not stop an imported or opened script from running (if it used more advanced features), it would just hide them from the toolboxes.

Board footer