This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-08-14 09:51:56

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

A mild rant :)

[rant] But nice  smile

I've come to the external I/O scratch party late but been working with Scratch in English primary schools for years now  smile

I basically would like Scratch (or variant) to be able to communicate with a variety of external devices (Ardunio, DataHarvest FlowGo boxes,RaspberryPi - anything that can listen/talk through USB or TCP/IP.

I'd like blocks in Scratch to have "set output 1 On/off/Invert"  read value of A/D port 1, set motor 1 forward/backwards/reverse 50% etc

There are MANY people/projects doing some/all of this but they are scattered around the world and doing their own things  sad
S4A, Enchanting, Sense to name but a few (here is my small effort -http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/how-i-got-scratch-talking-to-my-raspberry_pi/ )

Could not one of the grown-ups pull things together and JGTS  smile 

Please  smile
[/rant]

#2 2012-08-14 16:14:06

bobbybee
Scratcher

Re: A mild rant :)

How about using remote sensor connections to communicate with a python script that can perform these functions?

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#3 2012-08-14 17:34:47

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

Re: A mild rant :)

How about using remote sensor connections to communicate with a python script that can perform these functions?

Thats what mine does (you helped me with that  smile  )- input isn't too bad as Scratch knows about Picoboards - its the output that's the main issue, either proprietry (WeDo) or fragmented Sense,S4A etc etc

Simon

Last edited by SimpleScratch (2012-08-14 17:35:13)

Board footer