This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#8226 2012-08-09 20:42:20

Nexstudent
Scratcher

Re: Minecraft Official Topic

Though it can be unfair, you people have to remember that its power is determined by the block and pyramid height.

An iron pyramid, the easiest to make, won't be too OP(I hope).

It would be a cool thing for spawns in MP, and for adventure mode.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9325/vedder.jpg

#8227 2012-08-09 21:12:41

soupoftomato
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

geohendan wrote:

What I really don't like is how expensive it is. You have to put it on a pyramid of diamond blocks or emerald blocks or something, it's like it requires creative mode.

I think that's the point.

They should have done a flat-out survival restriction.

The idea of obtaining powers just seems like it ruins the game and adds unfitting technology.

I've said this before, people always complain about new things being unfitting. The nether, potions, enchanting, all were complained about! A lot of people accept potions and enchanting now, and nearly everyone is fine with the nether. Change happens, deal with it.

When did you start playing?

I've had the game since Alpha 1.1 which is just before the Nether, and I've been fine with a LOT of stuff. The Nether was fine with me. Potions and enchanting were fine with me. I felt like the game could benefit from the elements of them. I don't necessarily like exactly how they were implemented but they weren't bad. These were all mainly fine with me because they fit in with the theme. The setting has always been a medieval style world. Redstone isn't technology, it's officially considered magic. When pistons were added, their sleek metallic graphics from the mod were abandoned for the ruff, wooden style we have now.

But a beacon? I guess you could argue for it being some magic god sending his powers down but that ruins an aspect of the game for me. It's more fun without any knowledge of a divine power causing the world. It leaves more wonder in the game. More stuff open to interpretation to how you want to play.  The way I see it, the beacon is something out of science-fiction and that doesn't fit either.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#8228 2012-08-09 22:20:14

pikachu1337
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

I think that's the point.

They should have done a flat-out survival restriction.

The idea of obtaining powers just seems like it ruins the game and adds unfitting technology.

I've said this before, people always complain about new things being unfitting. The nether, potions, enchanting, all were complained about! A lot of people accept potions and enchanting now, and nearly everyone is fine with the nether. Change happens, deal with it.

I've had the game since Alpha 1.1 which is just before the Nether, and I've been fine with a LOT of stuff. The Nether was fine with me. Potions and enchanting were fine with me. I felt like the game could benefit from the elements of them. I don't necessarily like exactly how they were implemented but they weren't bad. These were all mainly fine with me because they fit in with the theme. The setting has always been a medieval style world. Redstone isn't technology, it's officially considered magic. When pistons were added, their sleek metallic graphics from the mod were abandoned for the ruff, wooden style we have now.

But a beacon? I guess you could argue for it being some magic god sending his powers down but that ruins an aspect of the game for me. It's more fun without any knowledge of a divine power causing the world. It leaves more wonder in the game. More stuff open to interpretation to how you want to play.  The way I see it, the beacon is something out of science-fiction and that doesn't fit either.

And yet you call yourselves minecrafters.
For god's sake, those are the SAME REASONS people were skeptical about pistons!
And before that, maps!
And before that, booster rails!
And before that, ladders!
And before that, fences!

http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/24779.png Help my city grow!
Welp.  Obama was elected.  Country's doomed.  Abandon ship?

#8229 2012-08-09 22:33:54

Nexstudent
Scratcher

I myself DO wish that survival would be emphasized a bit more, and not this strange beacon of sorts.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9325/vedder.jpg

#8230 2012-08-09 22:34:46

soupoftomato
Scratcher

pikachu1337 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

And before that, maps!
And before that, fences!

I'M SORRY

I didn't realize there was more requirements than enjoying a game to consider yourself someone who enjoys a game!

I was skeptical of none of thosee but beacons is really idiotic.

By implying I can't call myself a Minecrafter you really just imply that you think everything Jeb touches turns to gold which is not true.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#8231 2012-08-09 23:23:01

samtwheels
Scratcher

I started playing in 1.0, but I've seen a lot of people's opinions. I enjoy going through old topics on the forums.

#8232 2012-08-10 07:30:53

777w
Scratcher

pikachu1337 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

And before that, maps!
And before that, fences!

since when were people skeptical about pistons
and maps
and booster rails
and fences
because they were science-fictiony and possibly hinted at some sort of god?

#8233 2012-08-10 10:41:00

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

Nexstudent wrote:

I myself DO wish that survival would be emphasized a bit more, and not this strange beacon of sorts.

I agree. I bought the game when they JUST added pistons, and gave up during 1.8, and starting up again in 1.2.5. Now that I understand the game, I want this thrill that there is a new redstone gadget, or a new exploration tool, or even just a new mob.

Still, I haven't tried this beacon yet, and I DO want to try it out. At least you can get a higher jump.  big_smile

#8234 2012-08-10 10:58:31

werdna123
Scratcher

777w wrote:

pikachu1337 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

And before that, maps!
And before that, fences!

and maps
and booster rails
and fences

Some people were skeptical about booster rails, I think, but that's it.

#8235 2012-08-10 11:10:01

Animeboy975
Scratcher

I think the villager zombies look hilarious  lol

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zqr6o6.gifMiiverse:Ryanshy47

#8236 2012-08-10 11:20:12

spongebob123
Scratcher

Is it just me or do Creepers look similar to Chikoritas?  yikes

#8237 2012-08-10 12:48:54

pikachu1337
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

777w wrote:

pikachu1337 wrote:

And before that, maps!
And before that, fences!

and maps
and booster rails
and fences

People were skeptical about anything that wasn't just a block at first.

http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/24779.png Help my city grow!
Welp.  Obama was elected.  Country's doomed.  Abandon ship?

#8238 2012-08-10 12:54:47

samtwheels
Scratcher

I finally got LAN working (my brother had to enter the actual IP, it couldn't find it on it's own). It's awesome!

#8239 2012-08-10 13:00:13

777w
Scratcher

pikachu1337 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

777w wrote:

and maps
and booster rails
and fences

People were skeptical about anything that wasn't just a block at first.

but you said "same reasons" and soup said nothing about whether or not it was a block

#8240 2012-08-10 14:09:36

slapperbob
Scratcher

I can't get LAN servers working. When my friend tries to connect to it, it just keeps saying 'Scanning for LAN worlds' and never stops. It never stops scanning for me, too. Any help?

Last edited by slapperbob (2012-08-10 14:09:47)

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5771/63588659ff6a873m3.jpg

#8241 2012-08-10 14:11:12

777w
Scratcher

slapperbob wrote:

I can't get LAN servers working. When my friend tries to connect to it, it just keeps saying 'Scanning for LAN worlds' and never stops. It never stops scanning for me, too. Any help?

are you both playing in the same house? lan is "local area network" and if im not mistaken that only goes about as far as a single building

#8242 2012-08-10 14:18:20

samtwheels
Scratcher

777w wrote:

slapperbob wrote:

are you both playing in the same house? lan is "local area network" and if im not mistaken that only goes about as far as a single building

Try direct connecting. Worked for me.

#8243 2012-08-10 14:39:17

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

777w wrote:

slapperbob wrote:

Ooh, sounds fancy. What is it?  yikes

#8244 2012-08-10 14:41:23

slapperbob
Scratcher

777w wrote:

slapperbob wrote:

Yes, we're in the same house. I know my computer stuff.  tongue

Last edited by slapperbob (2012-08-10 14:41:36)

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5771/63588659ff6a873m3.jpg

#8245 2012-08-10 14:42:17

Laternenpfahl
Scratcher

Nexstudent wrote:

Though it can be unfair, you people have to remember that its power is determined by the block and pyramid height.

An iron pyramid, the easiest to make, won't be too OP(I hope).

It would be a cool thing for spawns in MP, and for adventure mode.

I think it should have different effects depending on block used. Also, it should use the ingots/gems as fuel.

http://i46.tinypic.com/6yd4c0.png

#8246 2012-08-10 14:56:43

777w
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

777w wrote:

its a button under "multiplayer" that says "direct connect" where you, instead of choosing from a list, directly connect to a server

#8247 2012-08-10 15:59:59

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

777w wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

its a button under "multiplayer" that says "direct connect" where you, instead of choosing from a list, directly connect to a server

yikes  That's POSSIBLE? So I could, say, go straight to ChewyPudding's* server if I knew his IP address? And my faraway cousins could do the same to my lonely little world?

(You've probably heard of ChewyPudding. He's a nice guy.  smile  )

#8248 2012-08-10 16:04:35

777w
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

777w wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

yikes  That's POSSIBLE? So I could, say, go straight to ChewyPudding's* server if I knew his IP address? And my faraway cousins could do the same to my lonely little world?

you could also just add server to your list but yeah
and no, i havent heard of chewypudding, ive hardly scratched the surface of the mc community

#8249 2012-08-10 16:05:48

samtwheels
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

777w wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

You could do it to ChewyPudding, assuming it uses the server software, but LAN servers can only run on your network.

#8250 2012-08-10 17:10:47

samtwheels
Scratcher

I'm going to the End!

Board footer