This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-06-10 20:03:31

Owaba
Scratcher

Hi! I'm new!

I used to spend everyday trying to working on a social network, but I found php hard. So I started looking for an easy programming language. Then I found this! Scratch for me is great(I ain't so great at it), and I thought I should join the site. So here I am! Any helpful tips or links would be great.
Thanks ,and according to the forums, Scratch On  big_smile  !

#2 2009-06-10 20:22:18

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Re: Hi! I'm new!

Hey Owaba, welcome to Scratch! I hope you enjoy your time here on the Scratch website. Feel free to ask around the forums for any help you need. You can check out the 'All About Scratch' section to help get you started, and the 'FAQ' questions will probably answer some of the questions you may already have. Feel free to ask for help in the 'Troubleshooting' section if you have any problems, or drop a suggestion in [well, where else but] 'Suggestions'. 

Feel free to share you projects along with the rest of the community, I hope you enjoy the projects here! Scratch on!  cool

Last edited by cheddargirl (2009-06-10 20:22:41)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#3 2009-06-10 21:05:05

The-Whiz
Scratcher

Hello!

#4 2009-06-10 22:45:50

Owaba
Scratcher

Hi guys, thanks for the help cheddar

#5 2009-06-13 20:25:21

bosox397
Scratcher

Hi

Dear Scratch Users,
I'm done with scratch, or at least making projects. I have made one last big game, thats both fun and teaches a lesson about water. It'd mean a lot if you gave me feedback.                              http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bosox397/569201

#6 2009-06-21 21:55:03

fantasytales_test
Scratcher

the thing i would reccommend 100% is to look at archmage's tutorials, because they are probably the most useful resources scratch has to offer.  for more info check out my forum post  for everything you need to know http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18305

#7 2009-06-22 19:09:28

jefftd77
Scratcher

Welcome Owaba!

You've found a great site here! I've been browsing around and there's sooo much information to absorb. Just keep reading and I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time!

#8 2009-06-23 00:28:34

fantasytales_test
Scratcher

tips: if you don't know how to do something (such as scrolling)  check out tutorials such as archmages (thats what i did when i first started out) 
remember to talk to people like paddle2see, andresmh, and other members of the scratch team (im not sure if paddle2see is but i know hes helpful) if you have any questions.  also try to be outgoing and make friends, the more friends you have the more views you will get.  try to be an active participant in the forums, and try to enter your projects into as many galleries and contests as you can because wether you win or lose you are still getting a view.  tag your projects approptiately and don't whine about not having many views, instead try harder and over time your scratch skills will improve and you will start to get noticed (it took me over a year to get front page)  also a big tip is to try and submit your projects to the scratch_design_studio galleries as they get many views and it is fun too.  also here are some tips on decreasing your projects file size.  there is a little button up top that says "extras"  it should have compress images and compress sounds.  make sure to do this often as it will make your game run way faster.  also try not to add too many scripts, instead try to fit more into less scripts (i have halved the scripts i used in a game before and doubled the speed)  try not to pick long songs to go with your projects, as they will be big no matter what.  i would say no more than 2.5 minutes, and compressed to low if that much.  remember the lower the file size the less lag and if it can run online smoothly your views will increase sufficiently.  you know some people sya not to spam, but i can tell you this, as long as you don't spam in excess and actually give your input and thought into the comment as well, spamming isnt so bad, just try not to do it too much or you will make alot of scratchers unhappy.  to get a forum signature you need 50 posts, (that in cludes replies) however nobody is going to like you if you spam posts to get there, so tno need to rush it, then you go to profile, then personality, and then type it in.  if you post an ad as your signature, then it will be displayed on every post and your views could go up.  also another way to get popular is to comment on as many projects as you can, the more projects you view, the more likely you are to get more friends, and in turn more views.  so it is always good, remixing others projects can sometimes get you on their bad side, so i wouldn't reccommend remixing if they specifically say not to remix, hey i support remixing, but i don't support annoying others.  now here are the most IMPORTANT tips:
1. make sure to try to be on scratch often, but of course not too often, just don't stay off scratch for months or weeks at a time (unless your on vacation, i love vacation)  this way people will know your sociable, well on scratch anyway   
2. try to share often, i'd say its good to make at least 1 GOOD project at least once every 1-3 months because your still going for quality not quantity and you don't need to be overwhelmed.  of coourse your welcome to share as often as you like, the more the merrier, just keep it in balance, not too much
3.  the most important one is to make your peojcts as high tech and proffesional as possible, the real way to get views is to deserve your views by making view-worthy projects, over time you will get those views if you keep on trying, and this is the most important thing of alll.
4. watch out for that spider crawling on the ceiling above you    your gonna check just watch...

#9 2009-06-23 14:38:25

iselin
Scratcher

welcome. always nice to see new people joining the forum:)

#10 2009-06-23 23:16:32

akanglil
Scratcher

welcome owaba..

#11 2009-06-24 00:24:19

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

fantasytales_test wrote:

[Lots of useful tips]

Perhaps you should split your post into sections, it is quite hard to read large pieces of text like that  wink

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#12 2009-06-24 01:02:40

fantasytales_test
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

fantasytales_test wrote:

[Lots of useful tips]

Perhaps you should split your post into sections, it is quite hard to read large pieces of text like that  wink

sorry about that

#13 2009-06-26 05:52:51

Despair
Scratcher

Yeah I know scratch is easy and welcome to scratch.

Board footer