This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#7751 2012-07-25 22:55:10

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Re: Minecraft Official Topic

samtwheels wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

And the changes to that system aren't particularly great. You can now get faster levels but with equally menial tasks. YAY SMELTING STONE! Besides, smelting doesn't provide enough XP in the balance anyway. It should give more than plain mining an already refined resource because it takes mining + coal. Unless some serious balancing has happened since I used the snapshot (at the time), enchanting is still completely wack.

It's not like you lose the XP from mining the coal, so I think it balances out.

The other things to cook with?

Lava, wood, etc.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#7752 2012-07-26 07:15:38

werdna123
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

My opinion on the updates: I've been going since around the end of Alpha and overall I think it's been improving. There have been a few annoying things here and there but overall it's been getting better. I think the reason so many people complain about it being too easy is because they've been improving as they go. So when they started of course it would be harder because they were newbies. Also I think they just feel nostalgic.

I feel like most of the stuff has been a downgrade from the older versions.

The game just feels cluttered now. Like throwing in whatever they think of and causing major annoyances.

Hunger hasn't done anything. Hunger MIGHT have made sense if animals still respawned. Now you have to farm exceedingly slow to grow animals that don't provide enough food to warrant it. (I realize they grow faster than a Minecraft day but honestly it's a video game) I have to grow some sort of wheat farm to safely do the part of the game that I enjoy (mining and upgrading my house). I used to do farms as an afterthought to allow me safety in fighting but with how slow health replenishing is even with full hunger that's moot.
Food was too easy to get in the old versions, as you walked around you could just go "Oh I'm injured, *kills pig*, that's better" but now you feel more hesitant about killing animals so you can breed them. And I've always thought animal farms would be fun and they are. And also hunger adds a lot to server games like the hunger games and pvp. And the old eating system was annoying in PVP, you almost kill them and they instantly eat a load of food and do a complete regen.

And the experience system was and still is extremely screwed up. You want the enchanting to be like gambling? That's fine. Just don't make getting to level 50 one of the most menial tasks I've ever accomplished if you do. Fighting mobs actively is fun, but you don't get higher levels that way. No, you MOB FARM. Oh the joy of having my character sit motionless for an hour then clicking the same spot 500 times. And even then, after wasting an hour that I could have been more productive in-game, I have to risk the levels on a potentially bad enchantment.
But you DO get higher levels by fighting mobs. And anyway, it's improving. In 1.3 you only need to get to 30 and there are more ways to get experience.

And the changes to that system aren't particularly great. You can now get faster levels but with equally menial tasks. YAY SMELTING STONE! Besides, smelting doesn't provide enough XP in the balance anyway. It should give more than plain mining an already refined resource because it takes mining + coal. Unless some serious balancing has happened since I used the snapshot (at the time), enchanting is still completely wack.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only ore smelting?
I have more but this is enough for now and I lazy.

#7753 2012-07-26 08:29:29

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

Engaging a zombie pigman in a fight? Seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Haha! I have done it! Look at this gold! Better get back to the overworld now"

*Sprint sprint sprint*

*WHAM*

"Huh?"

*Turns around*

*Shrug*

"This shouldn't take long"

*Wham slash WHAM*

"I thought the first one was alone! Better hurr- oh joy, here comes another"

*Gets to Nether Portal*

"I can hit him enough to delay him while the portal activates!"

*Hack slash wham*

"No! I got knocked out of the por-"

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

*Splash*

*Ssss*

sad

#7754 2012-07-26 08:39:20

werdna123
Scratcher

I'm not sure what's happening at the end of that.

#7755 2012-07-26 08:45:33

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

Well, it sounded dumb, so I'll put into English.

I went to the Nether in normal mode. (Sort of a big deal for me.. I typically do peaceful) I only saw zombie pigmen. Not even a ghast.  sad  But since I saw one that was ALONE, I thought I could take him out. So I fought and killed it. No rare drops, like I had hoped for. I sprinted back to my nether portal... just in case. I got hit by something! I turned around.. there was another zombie pigman. I was slightly worried now. I killed him. Just as I was about to start walking back to the portal, another zombie pigman came down from a cliff. I went into my portal, hoping to delay him while the portal activated. But he knocked me out of the portal, right off an insanely high cliff, and right into the vast ocean of lava that is the nether.

Goodbye, enchanted iron sword! I will miss your fire aspects and your title of "bane of arthropods".

#7756 2012-07-26 09:00:45

werdna123
Scratcher

Aw, that sucks.

#7757 2012-07-26 10:42:24

soupoftomato
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

The game just feels cluttered now. Like throwing in whatever they think of and causing major annoyances.

Hunger hasn't done anything. Hunger MIGHT have made sense if animals still respawned. Now you have to farm exceedingly slow to grow animals that don't provide enough food to warrant it. (I realize they grow faster than a Minecraft day but honestly it's a video game) I have to grow some sort of wheat farm to safely do the part of the game that I enjoy (mining and upgrading my house). I used to do farms as an afterthought to allow me safety in fighting but with how slow health replenishing is even with full hunger that's moot.
Food was too easy to get in the old versions, as you walked around you could just go "Oh I'm injured, *kills pig*, that's better" but now you feel more hesitant about killing animals so you can breed them. IMO, not being able to stack provided the balance at the time. And I've always thought animal farms would be fun and they are. I don't find clicking to things to make hearts then waiting 5 minutes fun but whatever. And also hunger adds a lot to server games like the hunger games and pvp. And the old eating system was annoying in PVP, you almost kill them and they instantly eat a load of food and do a complete regen. Eating was more strategic back then.  You have to make sure to eat just enough but not was it all.

And the experience system was and still is extremely screwed up. You want the enchanting to be like gambling? That's fine. Just don't make getting to level 50 one of the most menial tasks I've ever accomplished if you do. Fighting mobs actively is fun, but you don't get higher levels that way. No, you MOB FARM. Oh the joy of having my character sit motionless for an hour then clicking the same spot 500 times. And even then, after wasting an hour that I could have been more productive in-game, I have to risk the levels on a potentially bad enchantment.
But you DO get higher levels by fighting mobs. And anyway, it's improving. In 1.3 you only need to get to 30 and there are more ways to get experience.
Yeah, technically you are fighting mobs. But the only effective way to not waste your life getting high levels was cheat or mob farm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only ore smelting?I'm pretty sure it's anything that will go through a change when smelting provides XP

The BBCode is getting insane. D:

Last edited by soupoftomato (2012-07-26 10:43:05)

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#7758 2012-07-26 11:09:55

poopo
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

I went to the Nether in normal mode. (Sort of a big deal for me.. I typically do peaceful) I only saw zombie pigmen. Not even a ghast.  sad  But since I saw one that was ALONE, I thought I could take him out. So I fought and killed it. No rare drops, like I had hoped for. I sprinted back to my nether portal... just in case. I got hit by something! I turned around.. there was another zombie pigman. I was slightly worried now. I killed him. Just as I was about to start walking back to the portal, another zombie pigman came down from a cliff. I went into my portal, hoping to delay him while the portal activated. But he knocked me out of the portal, right off an insanely high cliff, and right into the vast ocean of lava that is the nether.

Goodbye, enchanted iron sword! I will miss your fire aspects and your title of "bane of arthropods".

1. I suggest you play on easy
2. Don't take a fire aspect sword to the nether because it is useless
3. You should either close of your portal room or not hit piggies. XD

http://i45.tinypic.com/28rnqki.jpg

#7759 2012-07-26 12:31:44

wolvesstar97
Scratcher

poopo wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

Playing in easy doesnt let you keep your items when you die  sad
I play in Peaceful too (I have the xbox version)

If anyone else plays on the xbox, I found a couple of good seed codes-

404 [tested] - Spawns you on a gravel beach. One block by the water starts an earthquake and a massive hole opens up in the ground. A waterfall is pouring down the hole, but DONT JUMP IN JUST YET. You'll have a hard time getting up again, you would either have to suicide or swim up the waterfall. Instead, collect some wood and make a bunch of ladders, then start drilling into the ground, placing ladders as you go. For the last couple bricks, stay on the ladder to make sure your not landing on lava. Finish off the ladder and explore! The cave system has TONS of diamonds, gold lapis lazuli and redstone!! There is also iron and coal EVERYWHERE! There is a bunch of waterfalls,  lava pools and lava flows. Near the main waterfall you can make an obsidian machine with 2 pistons to close off the flows on either side. Mine the obsidian then open. Close it again and repeat.

gargamel [tested]- Spawns you either in a dark cave or the valley. If it spawns you in the cave, take some time to get out, it's worth it. The valley is AWESOME, it has a bunch of floating mountains, ore caves and waterfalls.

i dont care - Supposedly spawns you in a jungle/mushroom world.

pickaxe heaven - Floating jungle mountains.

dead mau5 - Islands of a bunch of different biomes.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551365/psyko.png

#7760 2012-07-26 13:46:51

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

poopo wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

Can those tall dudes who love staring contests spawn on easy? :B

#7761 2012-07-26 13:58:55

poopo
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

poopo wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

Yeah, just don't look at them. XD Or you can wear a pumpkin and they won't attack.

http://i45.tinypic.com/28rnqki.jpg

#7762 2012-07-26 14:56:06

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

poopo wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

poopo wrote:

Yeah, just don't look at them. XD Or you can wear a pumpkin and they won't attack.

I know all of that. I was joking.  tongue

#7763 2012-07-26 15:09:39

wolvesstar97
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

poopo wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

Endermen or skeletons?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551365/psyko.png

#7764 2012-07-26 15:22:07

werdna123
Scratcher

wolvesstar97 wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

poopo wrote:

Endermen or skeletons?

Which is taller? Endermen.
Which stare at you if you stare at them? Endermen.

I think it's kind of obvious.

#7765 2012-07-26 15:26:41

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

wolvesstar97 wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

Endermen or skeletons?

Skeletons can stare at you..

#7766 2012-07-26 15:27:05

jukyter
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

wolvesstar97 wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

Endermen or skeletons?

What about snow golems? :c
For some reason I found a colony of them. I can't remember what mods I had then though. :p

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#7767 2012-07-26 17:22:38

slapperbob
Scratcher

Wow, the new pre-release adds nothing. They just took the last pre-release and slapped the name "1.3Pre" on it.  tongue

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5771/63588659ff6a873m3.jpg

#7768 2012-07-26 17:41:37

samtwheels
Scratcher

I just built a mob trap using pistons and tripwires! the tripwire activates a memory cell, blocking the exit with pistons. I'm about to add some dispensers to kill the mobs. It currently doesn't work with spiders, because the pistons only block the top half of the door, but I will fix that soon.

#7769 2012-07-26 17:44:22

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

slapperbob wrote:

Wow, the new pre-release adds nothing. They just took the last pre-release and slapped the name "1.3Pre" on it.  tongue

Tripwires? Editable books? Rotatable logs?

#7770 2012-07-26 17:49:12

samtwheels
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

slapperbob wrote:

He meant that there was no difference from the snapshot.

#7771 2012-07-26 22:44:12

samtwheels
Scratcher

I just realized that in 1.3, ice is unnecessary to get water in the nether. You can use dispensers to pour out water. I'm about to test this.

EDIT: Never mind, it doesn't work.

Last edited by samtwheels (2012-07-26 22:48:03)

#7772 2012-07-26 22:59:10

soupoftomato
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

slapperbob wrote:

He meant that there was no difference from the snapshot.

Dang guys.

They release this version as a pre-release even though it's pretty much the official 1.3 but don't let it be installed from the launcher so modders can catch up before the general crowd gets the update.

#7773 2012-07-26 23:20:44

ilackoriginality
Scratcher

spongebob123 wrote:

OMG MAN I'M ONLY KEEPING THE FREAKING MELODY GOODNESS ME

gosh golly jeepers!!

#7774 2012-07-27 02:23:45

bluecat600
Scratcher

i went into the nether, and there were 3 ghasts and i burnt to death in lava

I gaze off into the boundless skyline, noteblock choirs playin in the sunshine, turn round pick up my sword and wield the blade that once forced evil mobs to yield, if this battle shall leave me slain, I know Herobrine still calls my name, better just take a stand, that was when I ruled the land.

#7775 2012-07-27 07:20:17

catfan8
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Food was too easy to get in the old versions, as you walked around you could just go "Oh I'm injured, *kills pig*, that's better" but now you feel more hesitant about killing animals so you can breed them. IMO, not being able to stack provided the balance at the time. Not really, since you could just go kill a pig whenever you need a heal.And I've always thought animal farms would be fun and they are. I don't find clicking to things to make hearts then waiting 5 minutes fun but whatever. I'd have to agree with Mr.Blue on this one.And also hunger adds a lot to server games like the hunger games and pvp. And the old eating system was annoying in PVP, you almost kill them and they instantly eat a load of food and do a complete regen. Eating was more strategic back then.  You have to make sure to eat just enough but not was it all.
Isn't eating strategic now? When fighting mobs, on certain maps especially, you need to decide whether to eat the little food you have for regen, or wait and try to save it for later, if you mess up, you will starve to death. (If you play on hard like awesome people)

Yeah, technically you are fighting mobs. But the only effective way to not waste your life getting high levels was cheat or mob farm But now you can get better enchants at low levels, on an average night, you can get around 7 levels.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only ore smelting?I'm pretty sure it's anything that will go through a change when smelting provides XP The smelting is just a bit of bonus xp, probably not intended to be farmed.

The BBCode is getting insane. D:

3rd person opinions  big_smile

Last edited by catfan8 (2012-07-27 07:21:09)

http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/i9002/Sword-In-Back+get%21/HEROBRINE+Y+U+NO+EXIST/mca.png

Board footer