This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#851 2012-07-18 19:51:42

technoguyx
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

jslomba wrote:

jslomba wrote:

I just finished another song. I used the cello as a substitute for guitar again since it fits the song better. I hope you consider using it.

Listened to it before, sounds good. The intro sounds a bit shallow if you ask me, not sure if adding other instruments there would sound good. You should try using the Electric Bass instrument instead of the Bass (which is actually a double bass iirc) one, sounds better to me at least.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#852 2012-07-18 21:41:50

DIY
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

I just finished another song. I used the cello as a substitute for guitar again since it fits the song better. I hope you consider using it.

What the-... Noteflight still doesn't work for me! I don't know how this happened suddenly to all three computers of mine. Every other website loads perfectly well. 48 hours ago the whole thing was fine...

technoguyx wrote:

Well, the only song with lyrics so far is Out of the Possible. I think it we could experiment with some additional harmony at spots (making the chorus a 3-part harmony between Mari, you and me). You could try to come up with something in the meanwhile, not necessarily recording it.

A 2-part harmony sounds all right in my opinion. Having yours and Mari's vocals should do fine. A 3-part harmony won't suit the song, and could potentially mess up the song. The bass voice kind of adds a darker tone to the song (which was always what struck me about "Out of the Possible") whereas a high harmony might take away that feel. And Mari's voice sounds amazing on its own, so the more tracks we add over the mix, the more will be taken away from the great vocals.

I have a song (composed on my short holiday on my acoustic guitar) with two vocal parts (the second one isn't exactly harmonies) and I think Mari's voice will sound good on it. Since there is no real harmonny part (the second vocals sing a very similar tune to the first), one person's voice would match the song for both parts, and it just sounds good in my head with Mari's voice. You'll see what I mean Techno, when I upload the song (after this frigging Noteflight problem's done with).

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-18 22:03:10)

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#853 2012-07-19 08:14:34

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

So, getting down to buisness.  big_smile

Now that I'm doing harmony, what do I need to record?  smile

Well, the only song with lyrics so far is Out of the Possible. I think it we could experiment with some additional harmony at spots (making the chorus a 3-part harmony between Mari, you and me). You could try to come up with something in the meanwhile, not necessarily recording it.

That could be fun! Will do~  smile

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#854 2012-07-19 10:58:35

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

A 2-part harmony sounds all right in my opinion. Having yours and Mari's vocals should do fine. A 3-part harmony won't suit the song, and could potentially mess up the song. The bass voice kind of adds a darker tone to the song (which was always what struck me about "Out of the Possible") whereas a high harmony might take away that feel. And Mari's voice sounds amazing on its own, so the more tracks we add over the mix, the more will be taken away from the great vocals.

I just saw this.  smile 

So I'm not required to sing it now?

Anything else for me to sing then?

#855 2012-07-19 11:00:33

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

Sorry I haven't posted anything in the last day or so. Anyhow, DIY, you said you had something important to talk to me about?

#856 2012-07-19 11:05:24

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

Also, I was reading through the newest posts, and I just wanted to mention - Lola, apology accepted. I totally understand; I tend to be a bit snappish with people when I'm in a bad mood as well. xD

#857 2012-07-19 11:05:37

DIY
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

Sorry I haven't posted anything in the last day or so. Anyhow, DIY, you said you had something important to talk to me about?

Thanks for posting here Mari as I told you to through Tumblr.  smile

First of all, I need you to stay online so we can chat about this development in detail. Do you reckon you can do that?

Anyway, I want you to have a look at this song of mine. The lyrics to it are not complete in the second verse, as you may see (it follows the same melody as the first) and we may add a separate bit for the female interlude, or leave it as it is.

Before I proceed any further, are you going to be online for a while?

#858 2012-07-19 11:13:22

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

Yeah, I'll be here for a bit. I have to go to lunch sometime soon, but I'll probably be online long enough for us to discuss this  smile

Let me get my computer really quick so I can listen to the song. (Can't use Noteflight on an iPad  tongue )

#859 2012-07-19 11:22:44

DIY
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

Yeah, I'll be here for a bit. I have to go to lunch sometime soon, but I'll probably be online long enough for us to discuss this  smile

Let me get my computer really quick so I can listen to the song. (Can't use Noteflight on an iPad  tongue )

Yeah, what I did was, I got the app for my iPad so that I could view Noteflight scores. I suggest you do the same; it's worth it and convenient, specially for me (I'm on the move a lot during this three month vacation).  tongue

Did you give it a listen? It's our most contrasting song as of yet (it has so many melodies merged into it) and came off as an experimental song of mine. The duet parts sing the same notes, in the verse and chorus (where both male and female sing). To some, it'll be great, to others, it's probably crap (as is with any experimental piece XD), but many of my friends seem to like the idea. I know you were excited about doing this duet. What do you think of it?

#860 2012-07-19 11:25:41

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

ContinentalRain wrote:

Yeah, what I did was, I got the app for my iPad so that I could view Noteflight scores. I suggest you do the same; it's worth it and convenient, specially for me (I'm on the move a lot during this three month vacation).  tongue

Did you give it a listen? It's our most contrasting song as of yet (it has so many melodies merged into it) and came off as an experimental song of mine. The duet parts sing the same notes, in the verse and chorus (where both male and female sing). To some, it'll be great, to others, it's probably crap (as is with any experimental piece XD), but many of my friends seem to like the idea. I know you were excited about doing this duet. What do you think of it?

I did listen to it, it's good  smile  There's a chance that I might have to work on hitting some of the high notes, though... I should warn you, I don't have a particularly wide vocal range. xD

#861 2012-07-19 11:33:13

DIY
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

DIY wrote:

ContinentalRain wrote:

I did listen to it, it's good  smile  There's a chance that I might have to work on hitting some of the high notes, though... I should warn you, I don't have a particularly wide vocal range. xD

Alright, I'd love to hear a demo of you singing it though. Could you send me an e-mail with a demo of you singing it anytime soon (preferably today)? I'm surprised you don't have a wide vocal range, but your voice sounds great as it is!  big_smile

Can you do that? (You'll have to stay online a bit longer though, I have more stuff to address so we can get some solid progress on this song)

#862 2012-07-19 11:36:50

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

ContinentalRain wrote:

DIY wrote:

Alright, I'd love to hear a demo of you singing it though. Could you send me an e-mail with a demo of you singing it anytime soon (preferably today)? I'm surprised you don't have a wide vocal range, but your voice sounds great as it is!  big_smile

Can you do that? (You'll have to stay online a bit longer though, I have more stuff to address so we can get some solid progress on this song)

I unfortunately won't be able to record anything until next week, I'm out of town and staying with some family friends, and therefore have no access to recording equipment (or a quiet place where I feel comfortable singing, for that matter).

But I can stay online for just a little bit longer, I think.

Edit: I actually have to go now D: I'll be back in a bit though. Sorry for the inconvenience  hmm

Last edited by ContinentalRain (2012-07-19 11:40:21)

#863 2012-07-19 11:44:42

DIY
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

DIY wrote:

ContinentalRain wrote:

I unfortunately won't be able to record anything until next week, I'm out of town and staying with some family friends, and therefore have no access to recording equipment (or a quiet place where I feel comfortable singing, for that matter).

But I can stay online for just a little bit longer, I think.

Oh that's fine, I remember you mentioning that on Tumblr in one of our previous conversations too. So long as you remember to do so (I understand it's holiday time and stuff, but can you upload by, say, Tuesday?). It's important we fix a deadline as I am going to do some recording for the new songs too and need to get down to mixing.

Also, while you're at it (you can do this on vacation I suppose), is it OK by you to make an attempt at finishing the lyrics to my song? I have composed whole scores on Noteflight on this long vacation, so I hope you'll be able to put down some lyrics during yours.

I know you are great in that department (your originals are awesome in lyrical arrangement) so I guess you can do that?  smile

EDIT: Just saw your edit.  tongue

It's fine. I hope it won't be long though. I'll be online for the next four hours or so (I am online a lot  tongue ), but please do try and make it quick, for I shall be checking on my Twitter as well and won't be able to make a speedy reply.

Unless you want to chat on Twitter?

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-19 11:53:32)

#864 2012-07-19 14:31:18

jslomba
Scratcher

I got the recording done for Out of the Possible

Last edited by jslomba (2012-07-19 14:38:04)

the the the the the

#865 2012-07-19 20:52:34

DIY
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

I got the recording done for Out of the Possible

All right. Hopefully we can finish recording the song soon.

#866 2012-07-20 03:31:10

DIY
Scratcher

The Noteflight problem I was experiencing has finally been fixed. jslomba, I listened to your song and I have pretty much the same to say as Techno. Bass instead of Electric Bass is a huge blunder which should be corrected as the instrument you've chosen is like the conventional large double bass, which produces a completely different sound.

EDIT: jslomba, don't forget to do the drums for this song of mine too.

EDIT 2: Also, the notes of the electric guitar (in this case, cello) pitch off notes. I can sense this when listening by ear. I haven't taken a good look at the notation but to my ear, some notes are pitched off.

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-20 09:10:29)

#867 2012-07-20 13:21:59

technoguyx
Scratcher

Well, I now have all tracks for Out of the Possible except for the piano. I might make a quick raw mix to get an idea of what it sounds like, when I can (gotta go out right now). Nice job on that track jslomba  smile

#868 2012-07-20 13:24:41

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Well, I now have all tracks for Out of the Possible except for the piano. I might make a quick raw mix to get an idea of what it sounds like, when I can (gotta go out right now). Nice job on that track jslomba  smile

Yeah, I'll be doing piano for it soon. Maybe tomorrow.  smile

#869 2012-07-20 14:11:23

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

Also, I was reading through the newest posts, and I just wanted to mention - Lola, apology accepted. I totally understand; I tend to be a bit snappish with people when I'm in a bad mood as well. xD

Thanks Mari~  wink
I totally didn't mean to offend you in any way, but then when DIY said that you might find it a bit hurtful I did see what he meant, and I am still REALLY sorry  smile
You're an AMAZING singer. Way better than I am xD

#870 2012-07-20 23:54:00

technoguyx
Scratcher

Parents will be out tomorrow morning; that means I'll record Out of the Possible's male vocals  big_smile  and watch MLP

Most of the ideas I'm coming up with now are for my own songs.  hmm  I mentioned many pages ago that I wanted to start a solo career, maybe releasing a short album fan-names-price. Likely release some singles to get my name around a bit.

I still gotta figure out how to record guitar decently. I can get quite good sounds out of my cheap-o amp and a bass multieffect unit, but using VST guitar effects I can barely get anything decent. D: May I ask how do you record guitar tracks, DIY? I would mic my amp but my current mic is horrid and I'm bankrupt as of now. >.>

#871 2012-07-21 00:23:59

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Parents will be out tomorrow morning; that means I'll record Out of the Possible's male vocals  big_smile  and watch MLP

Most of the ideas I'm coming up with now are for my own songs.  hmm  I mentioned many pages ago that I wanted to start a solo career, maybe releasing a short album fan-names-price. Likely release some singles to get my name around a bit.

I still gotta figure out how to record guitar decently. I can get quite good sounds out of my cheap-o amp and a bass multieffect unit, but using VST guitar effects I can barely get anything decent. D: May I ask how do you record guitar tracks, DIY? I would mic my amp but my current mic is horrid and I'm bankrupt as of now. >.>

Glad to hear about the male vocals.  smile

I have a mixer unit, to which two massive speakers are connected (they stand about a metre up from the ground and are quite wide). That gives me a good overall sound for any instrument plugged through the mixer because of the many adjustable knob levels. Up to six instruments can be plugged at the same time. What I do to record is, I place my mic at the centre of my music gallery (you capture overall sound well, ricocheting off the square room's walls) while sitting/standing a good distance away from it and record. The sound produced is so good from the large speakers (they have great bass boost) that I need not run them through any VSTs.

I also sometime plug my guitar amp (separate from the mixer) directly to the large speakers to record. That is only however, when I need overdrive (my mixer doesn't have a setting for overdrive). My amp isn't widely renowned either, but the quality from it is very good.

I'm surprised your current mic is bad. What happened to the one with which you recorded the other bass tracks and Gone vocals?

Also, good luck with your solo career as well. I don't intend to write my own songs for my solo career (I prefer to perform with a band), but I can't wait to hear your work!  big_smile

#872 2012-07-21 00:38:24

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

I'm surprised your current mic is bad. What happened to the one with which you recorded the other bass tracks and Gone vocals?

That's the mic I'm talking about, haha. Not enough lows for me, and it sounds noticeably cheap. You think it actually sounds good?  tongue

To record bass, I plug it into a cheap USB unit and then it goes directly to 3rdBass. No mic involved at all, and the sound I get from that VST is quite good. However I can't just do the same with my guitar, my guitar effect VSTs sound quite digital or add a ton of noise to my track (especially with high amounts of overdrive/distortion, which I plan to use a lot in my hypothetical solo album  wink  ).

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup compared to mine  tongue  I should give that empty square room in my house a good use as soon as I can get hold of decent gear.

EDIT: "getting my name around" reminded me of Twitter. Reopened my account. I think Frozen Coco could use a shared Twitter too, if we ever want to get our name outside Scratch.  smile  If we only could have updates more often. >.>

EDIT2: ...I'll guess you registered @FrozenCocoBand.  tongue

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-07-21 00:49:31)

#873 2012-07-21 00:55:35

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

That's the mic I'm talking about, haha. Not enough lows for me, and it sounds noticeably cheap. You think it actually sounds good?  tongue

To record bass, I plug it into a cheap USB unit and then it goes directly to 3rdBass. No mic involved at all, and the sound I get from that VST is quite good. However I can't just do the same with my guitar, my guitar effect VSTs sound quite digital or add a ton of noise to my track (especially with high amounts of overdrive/distortion, which I plan to use a lot in my hypothetical solo album  wink  ).

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup compared to mine  tongue  I should give that empty square room in my house a good use as soon as I can get hold of decent gear.

EDIT: "getting my name around" reminded me of Twitter. Reopened my account. I think Frozen Coco could use a shared Twitter too, if we ever want to get our name outside Scratch.  smile  If we only could have updates more often. >.>

EDIT2: ...I'll guess you registered @FrozenCocoBand.  tongue

The sound quality is decent of your other mic I thought. But then again, I didn't listen on headphones, so maybe I'm wrong.

I had to plan the setup of my equipment carefully to get a good overall sound.

Yup, I already opened a Frozen Coco Twitter account.  tongue

Give me a shout if you want me to follow you on my personal account and vice versa, and I'll add you.  smile

EDIT: You're on FB, right?

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-21 00:57:01)

#874 2012-07-21 01:15:19

technoguyx
Scratcher

Go ahead, follow me and I'll follow back. I'd rather not give my FB, that one's a bit more personal.  tongue

I haven't even fixed volume and sync issues in my quick mix of OOtP, and it already sounds great  big_smile

#875 2012-07-21 01:28:43

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Go ahead, follow me and I'll follow back. I'd rather not give my FB, that one's a bit more personal.  tongue

I haven't even fixed volume and sync issues in my quick mix of OOtP, and it already sounds great  big_smile

Yeah, my FB is rather personal too I guess.  tongue

Great about OotP. I myself am currently mixing the masterpiece now with my completed guitar and piano tracks (all instruments are done now) and it's sounding great too!  big_smile

Board footer