This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-02-28 22:07:06

evhan55
Scratcher

How do you use Scratch in your classroom?

Hello Everyone!

My name is Evelyn Eastmond and I'm a developer on the Scratch team.  Next week, I will be presenting a workshop to educators at the Art and Code Conference hosted at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

At the workshop, I plan to give educators an introduction to Scratch, some examples of how Scratch is already being used in classrooms, and some tips on how to get started with Scratch in their own classrooms.

I thought it would be nice to start a forum topic to ask all of you:

- How do you use Scratch in your classroom?
- What tips would you give to other educators who want to use Scratch in their classroom?
- What challenges have you faced as you've used Scratch in your classrooms?
- What is your greatest "Scratch in the Classroom" success story?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and I hope this forum serves as a good resource to educators who are just discovering Scratch for the first time in the future.

If you'll be at the Art and Code conference, I'd love to hear from you!

All the best,
Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

#2 2009-03-01 15:46:30

golfer3
Scratcher

Re: How do you use Scratch in your classroom?

hello to you!  smile

#3 2009-03-02 05:49:55

scratch_me
Scratcher

Hi,  This is GREAT!  I'm a parent (see my post in newcomers today) and started my 14yr old with it this weekend.  It was very simple getting him involved:-)  I saw that he was walking aimlessly around the house, so I started Scratching for the first time (I've got some programming skills + HUGE gaming skills).  I was ROFLing at my silly app within 5 minutes.  He obviously came to see what I was up to.  We were both ROFLing 5min later:-) REALLY rolling around :-)  It took us <20min to finish the silly app. I then explained Space Invaders to him and gave him Task1: create the tank taht shoots missiles and a few enemies that fly around left to right.  He finished it later that day, we then added Score+HighScore functions and he spent an hour or 2 debugging.  He will finish the Space Invaders game within a couple of weekends.  Then I'll show him another  old Arcade game(side scroller type) and set him small objectives that work to the final game.  I'm sure that we'll come up with original ideas after a few such projects.

for a classroom setup:  Choose a simple old-style game.  Let the kids play for 10-15 minutes to figure it out+rules.  then give them small objectives...maybe set them up in groups, each group with a different objective.  Then get each group to incorporate the other groups efforts into their work.  You'll end up with a few versions of the same  game.

#4 2009-03-02 08:25:00

Room243
Scratcher

- How do you use Scratch in your classroom?
I just introduced it and taught it to grades 5 and 6 in our school.  I teach Technology as part of the Related Arts department.  I have the freedom to “create” the curriculum so I took three weeks to teach and create with it.

- What tips would you give to other educators who want to use Scratch in their classroom?
I would tell you not to get intimidated.  You really only have to have an open mind and guide the instruction.  I printed out and used the “project cards” you download from the website and found that a great guide.  The kids were always a step ahead of me but I was able to facilitate the projects and trouble shoot as they learned along side them. 

- What challenges have you faced as you've used Scratch in your classrooms?
We had done scratch for “fun” on a topic of their choice.  I would like to use it to support the curriculum in our building.  I would like the teachers to “buy into” its educational value. (Which I think once they see it and its potential – they will love it) I am planning to present it at the next in service meeting in mid March.  I want them to see how we can use it as a tool to display understanding.  Something as simple as a book report can be completed through Scratch.  Using the Stage as the “setting”, the Sprites as the “characters” and the bubble dialogue communicate a scene for the “plot”.  I just need for a teacher to step forward and want to overlap our projects. 

- What is your greatest "Scratch in the Classroom" success story?
I guess seeing different students shine.  There are the “bright” tech savvy kids and they always are enthusiastic and vocal about new information but with Scratch, I was able to see some students I hadn’t noticed before really communicate their technology understanding to me.  It was another avenue to demonstrate growth for some students. 

Lisa
Technology Teacher in a Massachusetts Middle School

#5 2009-03-05 06:54:07

kirkf
Scratcher

My wife home schools our children and I am going to get her involved with this forum...I think this will be a very good idea for us to use to help teach our kids new things.

You never stop learning
thanx

#6 2009-03-05 08:58:56

adityasm9
Scratcher

kirkf wrote:

My wife home schools our children and I am going to get her involved with this forum...I think this will be a very good idea for us to use to help teach our kids new things.

You never stop learning
thanx

scratch is for kids AND grown ups.the online community has simple games to complicated algorithms and math projects.So like you said "You never stop learning".

#7 2009-03-14 16:13:40

Blotter590
Scratcher

Hi, I started using Scratch in my classes last year. I teach technology education. One of our TSA events (Technology Student Association) is to create a video game. One of my students wanted to work on that. Apparntly he had stumbled on Scratch at home. He showed me the program. After that I played around with the program for a while. I decided to have my 8th grade students try to make games in class.
I came up with some basic criteria that had to be met in their games. They loved the program and did alright with it. In October of last year, I had the opportunity to go to a Scratch workshop in Norfolk. That was very interesting.
Since I started using Scratch in class, each class I have make games does better with the program than the previous. I have 3 classes that just finished their games on Friday. They came up with some really good projects.
Suggestions for educators: Experiment with the program whenever you have time. Find good projects on the website, download them, and look at the scripts to see how to do different things. Use the reference materials provived by the site. I put the reference guide and geting started guide into folders at each computer for students to use. I also have learned a lot from my students. Some of them go home and are addicted to the program. Those students show me how to do all sorts of things using the program.
I have used the program to make some fun review games for my classes also. There is so much that the program could be used for. I love it!

#8 2009-03-14 16:15:38

golfer3
Scratcher

Blotter590 wrote:

Hi, I started using Scratch in my classes last year. I teach technology education. One of our TSA events (Technology Student Association) is to create a video game. One of my students wanted to work on that. Apparntly he had stumbled on Scratch at home. He showed me the program. After that I played around with the program for a while. I decided to have my 8th grade students try to make games in class.
I came up with some basic criteria that had to be met in their games. They loved the program and did alright with it. In October of last year, I had the opportunity to go to a Scratch workshop in Norfolk. That was very interesting.
Since I started using Scratch in class, each class I have make games does better with the program than the previous. I have 3 classes that just finished their games on Friday. They came up with some really good projects.
Suggestions for educators: Experiment with the program whenever you have time. Find good projects on the website, download them, and look at the scripts to see how to do different things. Use the reference materials provived by the site. I put the reference guide and geting started guide into folders at each computer for students to use. I also have learned a lot from my students. Some of them go home and are addicted to the program. Those students show me how to do all sorts of things using the program.
I have used the program to make some fun review games for my classes also. There is so much that the program could be used for. I love it!

yes i love♥ scratch too!!!!

#9 2009-03-15 16:22:02

Maki-Tak
Scratcher

Hi I'm a homeschooling kid and we learn Scratch for technology. I am trying to move on to more complex programs but its really hard.

http://i.cubeupload.com/zZE0XJ.png

#10 2009-03-15 18:53:38

golfer3
Scratcher

Maki-Tak wrote:

Hi I'm a homeschooling kid and we learn Scratch for technology. I am trying to move on to more complex programs but its really hard.

have u mastered scratch yet? if not i'd say not to move on then, but if u have mastered scratch move on and try other programs!  smile

#11 2009-03-18 16:30:40

16c
Scratcher

i like scratch making animaton which is good for design work
but sometimes it is a bit hard to figer it out intil you get the hang of it

it rocks   cool

Last edited by 16c (2009-03-18 16:31:46)

#12 2009-04-29 06:19:20

popov75
Scratcher

Hello!

I just discover scratch, and it is r

#13 2009-04-29 19:53:21

bosox398
Scratcher

Scratch is Fun
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what Scratch was programmed by??
I will write the Answer below.
===================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Answer:

The programm is called
Squeak
or Etoys

#14 2009-05-26 17:51:16

gafaer
Scratcher

I use Scratch in My Global Awareness Project and I think we are going to get a good grade for it from using it.

#15 2009-05-29 17:45:24

miztech
Scratcher

I would like to know how none technology teachers use Scratch.  Are there teacher users who Scratch, for example, instead of PowerPoint presentations to introduce units or content?  I am wondering if it might be a tool that gets teachers more interested in technology without being too intimidating.

#16 2009-05-31 11:30:49

room209
Scratcher

There are quite a few good math project connections out there.  I've used Scratch in a pre-algebra class to demonstrate/apply concepts such as experimental vs theoretical probability, coordinate geometry and the different quadrants, transformations in geometry, and slope and intercept when graphing equations.

Karen R.

Last edited by room209 (2009-05-31 13:07:22)

#17 2009-06-05 17:57:26

Mayhem
Scratcher

I use scratch programs quite often as a teaching aid, as anyone viewing my projects will see.  I've made numeracy and phonics games and models, and animated part of the easter story, and a Hindu creation story.

I've also used the scratch *community* as a teaching aid.  When we did an international languages day, I was able to ask a scratch member from Poland to record some audio phrases for my class to listen to.

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

Board footer