This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-17 09:09:01

loiskertesz
Scratcher

Name Projects

My 137 9th graders ( who have had a partial year of java) have completed a "Letters" project after 3 days of topics as a quiz grade - (60 minutes to work using any notes, previous assignments etc) Most have no sound. Sound is a BIG mistake in a large class.  I found that out after our Halloween assignment. 
My problem is how to send a few ( maybe 10 - 20) to the gallery.
1.  All the projects have the same name ( MyLetters)
2.  I have access through the student folders to them  but if I upload them they will have my name on them - How can I give the student credit ( by initials or first name)
3.  do I have to do these one at a time?

We are now working on variables and broadcasting and conditionals - they love it

#2 2007-05-17 12:45:53

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Name Projects

Could each kids sign up for an account and then upload the project with their own name? Often times this is a very rewarding experience. They can also join the gallery and add their project to the gallery. (In the future gallery owners will be able to add projects to their gallery)

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-05-17 15:23:26

loiskertesz
Scratcher

Yes they could, but you don't really want 137 student projects - even if half of the students wanted to do this, it would be a lot.  And, some of them were really not very special.

I have been thinking about using their first names and class period in the description block so they get credit and created a gallery under our school name.  Can I have sub galleries inside a gallery?

#4 2007-05-18 00:11:53

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

At this moment you cannot have subgalleries. If you are worried about the site hosting 137 students projects, don't be, the more the merrier :-)

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#5 2007-05-18 11:18:04

loiskertesz
Scratcher

So, let me get this straight - I make a the gallery and they post to it? 
1.  Do they have to create a login name or can they post without it?
2.  Can I remove anything that I don't like in the gallery?

This is off the topic but so many of the galleries have nothing in them are you going to "clean house" one of these days?

#6 2007-05-19 11:58:15

tammy
Scratcher

Hi loiskertesz,

1. In order to post to a gallery, they do need a login name.  Then you can either invite them all to the gallery, or they can find the gallery themselves and subscribe to it.  Then when they upload their projects using their login name, they can add them to the gallery from their "My Stuff" pages.
2. Once something is added to a gallery, only the person who added it can remove it from the gallery.

That's an interesting idea about cleaning house.  We are thinking of ways to organize galleries and make them more accessible.  Do you think we should just delete galleries with nothing in them?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing the students' projects!
-Tammy

#7 2007-05-20 00:41:02

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Empty galleries more than 10 days old should be deleted---they are almost certainly dead.

Gallery owners should be the ones to add and delete projects from a gallery, with project owners being permitted to deny permission for addition.  Right now the gallery "owner" has no control over the contents of the gallery, which is really unfortunate.

#8 2007-05-21 15:33:31

loiskertesz
Scratcher

yes empty galleries should be removed after so many days - it appears that some people open more than one under almost the same name.

I think the young students do not understand the purpose of a gallery.

We are running so close on time.  I do hope some of my students have time to upload

Board footer