This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#176 2012-06-07 11:49:51

9star
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: What to do when all text dissappears...

thank you soooooooo much!!!

I weigh less than a slice of Cheese

#177 2012-06-21 16:06:12

cheekycheese
Scratcher

To fix this you just need to:
a) if you made little changes, quite scratch without saving. All text should be back when you go into scratch again.
b) Save if you made a few changes and then restart your computer. Now open your project again. All text sghould be back. It worked for me, at least.

#178 2012-07-14 09:23:14

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher

JSO wrote:

Since Scratch 1.3, there has been a bug in Scratch that makes all text in Scratch suddenly disappear - most of you know it as the disappearing text bug.

Some think you lose all of your work when this glitch hits you, but there are some ways to get your project back  smile

• When you see the first text disappear, save it and close Scratch as soon as possible  big_smile
Only when you made almost no changes, you should quit Scratch without saving.

• Now open your project again. You should see that all text in the Scratch GUI is there, but your texts in your costumes and backgrounds are still gone... If none of your backgrounds/costumes had text in it, you're done  smile  If not, continue...

• Open all of your costumes/backgrounds with text on it one by one in the paint editor by clicking the "edit" button next to the thumbnail. Then click ok without making any changes. All text should slowly reappear...  big_smile

• Save (!) You don't want it to happen again...

Most of you know this already but some don't so I thought it would be useful to put this in a topic.

Be careful when you had this glitch with a certain project already. Probably something in the text is causing it and the chance of losing all of your work again is huge. So, you know, > http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/images/article/save_icon.gif <
As an alternative:

filo5 wrote:

There is a method already, but this one is simpler:

1. When Text Bug occurs, save your project and exit Scratch app.
2. Open Scratch again, and open your project. Text on sprites will be still invisible.
3. Don't do anything, just hit "Save" icon several (mostly 2) times to restore text.

How can I avoid this bug?
The Scratch team has not been able to track down the disappearing text bug, that's why it's in there for 3 versions already. If you find a way to reproduce it, please post your exact situation on this thread: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=245324

Paddle2See wrote:

Another thing to know about this bug is that it seems to be related to memory usage.  If you find that it happens to you a lot, consider shutting down other applications you may have running so that Scratch has more memory to work with.  Maybe think about buying more RAM for your computer.

The lack of memory can be produced by both other applications and Scratch itself, so this bug is more likely to occur when working on bigger projects.

JSO

This never happened to me, but thanks!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/jackdelamare/JPIV/JPIV-Userbar2.png after seven years of development fails I'm impatient... IT MUST COME

#179 2012-07-24 18:26:20

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Never has happened to me.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#180 2012-07-25 05:50:31

Splodgey
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

Never has happened to me.

Very lucky..........VERY.......

#181 2012-08-01 10:02:24

boaz4
Scratcher

I have a solution that will almost completely stop the dissapearing text bug.
If you have a certain sprite that has lots of scripts, and you know that you are not going to add more scripts anymore, do the following:
Export the sprite into a folder.
Delete the sprite from your project.
Save the project.
That way,  you got rid of lots of scripts. When you finish, add the sprite to your projet again.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8274/625265805511fc3m3.png

#182 2012-08-09 18:59:13

themariofireball
Scratcher

Never happened to me. big_smile
But i never made a big project. hmm

Last edited by themariofireball (2012-08-09 18:59:40)

IMPORTANT
I like trains          http://videos.dsitube.net/easteregg.gif

#183 2012-08-10 02:51:14

Martiscratch
Scratcher

a windows glitch dose not run on Linux or macosx because it happens on word 2003

http://signaturecraft.us/signatures/eJw1yDEOgCAMBdC9p_gnICphdnA18QwoNZIAJRTD9Z184-uP74gKjxIvxi3tzaii3ZA-PjPijdgxvBpjcCYeeOtKW2Ou3OhIAbuUIOUvpdnNtDhH1tL0AQVCHgk~.png

#184 2012-08-11 19:22:55

radicalace
Scratcher

I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT EVEN EASIER!!!!

I have found that when this bug occurs there is a simply way to get all your text back without going through every costume.

Step 1: Save
Step 2: Re-open the project
Step 3: Share the project online
Step 4: Save
Step 5: Re-open the project

For whatever reason this usually restores all your text.

#185 2012-08-19 00:33:03

shoebsaad
New Scratcher

that has been happening to me a lot! thanks for the help!

#186 2012-08-22 12:48:53

bballluke
Scratcher

Interesting... I actually think it doesn't matter how big the project is, or if you have text in it or not. I was making a don't-push-the-red-button project that had 2 scripts and 1 sprite. However, the 1 sprite had 101 costumes, all with text in them. I never got the glitch with that project. When I first joined Scratch, I made a small beta of a big game I was gonna make. The beta was less than 1mb, and it had no text at all. When I was about to save, I got the glitch. I did save it, though. I did have 2 variables with fairly long names though, but their text didn't disappear...

Last edited by bballluke (2012-08-22 12:50:32)

#187 2012-08-28 12:58:31

MrPikachu
Scratcher

Really helpful ^3^

Thank you!!!

http://i50.tinypic.com/2cntrbn.png

Enter my Contest!!!

Last edited by MrPikachu (2012-08-28 13:06:16)

#188 2012-09-13 19:01:48

Spyderblade
Scratcher

Has this happened to anyone with a Windows 7? It just happened to me, and IT DOES NOT LET ME SAVE! The Save button is gone, and you can't click anywhere within the app because the mouse dissapears! Any suggestions? Please answer as fast as you can because I need to save my work!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzbc5x.jpg
Am I online? http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=Spyderblade&amp;action=onlineStatus&amp;type=circle And, check out my Challenge Mission 2!!

#189 2012-09-13 19:03:26

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Spyderblade wrote:

Has this happened to anyone with a Windows 7? It just happened to me, and IT DOES NOT LET ME SAVE! The Save button is gone, and you can't click anywhere within the app because the mouse dissapears! Any suggestions? Please answer as fast as you can because I need to save my work!

Try pressing CTRL+S, it should save.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#190 2012-10-07 15:11:15

Alexb10
Scratcher

TimeFreeze wrote:

People talk about this a lot, though I've never gotten it in my life. Could it be because I have 2 gigs of RAM?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

XD YOU GO TO MY SCHOOL, MR. CONNOR HAS THAT ON HIS ROOM's DOOR>>>

Scratch 1.4! Leave my house! Go to Scratch 2.0!

#191 2012-10-14 08:11:52

jontmy00
Scratcher

I found a solution that works for me when I encounter this. Note that it may not work for everyone. Also, this only works on Windows. I use XP too.

1) Save your project.
2) Close it.
3) Re-open it.
4) All text back? Ignore this post. Otherwise, continue.
5) Close the project.
6) Open Task Manager.
7) Go to "Processes".
8) Right-click on "Scratch.exe".
9) Click "End Process".
10) Close Task Manager and re-open your project.
11) If all your text is back, great! Otherwise... Do it the manual way. Go through every costume.

FOR ALL THE NEWS ON UPDATES FOR SIMPLISTICRAFT, CLICK HERE.

#192 2012-10-28 15:32:48

MadMax99
New Scratcher

All my text went blank , a few moments ago . Then I tried JSO's method , but it was to tedious , especially if you have more than 200 text costumes . I discovered an easier method where you just save the project and then re-open it . For me my text reappeared the first time but if it doesn't , try it again until it does .

#193 2012-10-28 15:57:52

Zparx
Scratcher

repeat until <(text) = [restored]>
Close Scratch
Re-open your project
Save
end
OR

repeat until <(text) = [restored]>
Save
end
These are the only methods that are the most effective in restoring text. The second method is for people who CAN see the "Save" button when the glitch occurs, the first method is for people who can NOT see the "Save" button. I've noticed that a handful of people have developed ridiculous methods involving uploading projects and what not, but the bottom line is: Something happens in Scratch every time you save that slowly but surely restores text no matter how big the project. My methods have worked for me every single time on multiple computers/operating systems. I don't think this topic should have blown so far out of proportion. Once we get over the initial fear of data loss, everything becomes easier. I Hope I helped!

Last edited by Zparx (2012-10-28 16:08:22)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101119183412/halo/images/4/43/Hero2.png
^ My rank on Halo: Reach :3

#194 2012-11-04 13:48:49

Alexb10
Scratcher

(: Yay it works!

Scratch 1.4! Leave my house! Go to Scratch 2.0!

#195 2012-11-05 06:53:04

Splodgey
Scratcher

The memory theory so far proves correct. I've got a new computer with 16GB of RAM (old one had 1GB) and it hasn't happened since.

#196 2012-11-05 18:03:34

The_Blue_E
Scratcher

JSO wrote:

Since Scratch 1.3, there has been a bug in Scratch that makes all text in Scratch suddenly disappear - most of you know it as the disappearing text bug.

Some think you lose all of your work when this glitch hits you, but there are some ways to get your project back  smile

• When you see the first text disappear, save it and close Scratch as soon as possible  big_smile
Only when you made almost no changes, you should quit Scratch without saving.

• Now open your project again. You should see that all text in the Scratch GUI is there, but your texts in your costumes and backgrounds are still gone... If none of your backgrounds/costumes had text in it, you're done  smile  If not, continue...

• Open all of your costumes/backgrounds with text on it one by one in the paint editor by clicking the "edit" button next to the thumbnail. Then click ok without making any changes. All text should slowly reappear...  big_smile

• Save (!) You don't want it to happen again...

Most of you know this already but some don't so I thought it would be useful to put this in a topic.

Be careful when you had this glitch with a certain project already. Probably something in the text is causing it and the chance of losing all of your work again is huge. So, you know, > http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/images/article/save_icon.gif <
As an alternative:

filo5 wrote:

There is a method already, but this one is simpler:

1. When Text Bug occurs, save your project and exit Scratch app.
2. Open Scratch again, and open your project. Text on sprites will be still invisible.
3. Don't do anything, just hit "Save" icon several (mostly 2) times to restore text.

How can I avoid this bug?
The Scratch team has not been able to track down the disappearing text bug, that's why it's in there for 3 versions already. If you find a way to reproduce it, please post your exact situation on this thread: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=245324

Paddle2See wrote:

Another thing to know about this bug is that it seems to be related to memory usage.  If you find that it happens to you a lot, consider shutting down other applications you may have running so that Scratch has more memory to work with.  Maybe think about buying more RAM for your computer.

The lack of memory can be produced by both other applications and Scratch itself, so this bug is more likely to occur when working on bigger projects.

JSO

You forgot to add the part where you type a random character then backspace it. (or does that only apply to my computer.)

http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/0246zqc/My+Favorite+Lizard/R.I.P+Lime/mca.png   http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/7824xdj/Goodbye/Goodbye%2C+Lemon/mca.png  2012 wasn't real!!! HA HA YOU DOPES WHO THOUGHT IT WAS!

#197 2012-11-08 23:08:06

Zro716
New Scratcher

I didn't have to close out of Scratch to recover text, I just simply clicked on another sprite to open it up. This should work. If not, move the scripts around and the text should come back.

#198 2012-12-12 21:46:05

nitromian
Scratcher

This was really helpful, thanks for posting it!

#199 2012-12-26 00:46:07

dancingladybug31
Scratcher

I have one slight comment to add to that. I'm experiencing this glitch now, and I tried to save it. But when my file box opened, the text there disappeared! Now not only Scratch glitched, but my file box. The names of my projects disappeared.  sad 

So I tried closing Scratch. IT WON'T EVEN CLOSE. So I can't do anything to this bug. Please help!!!

#200 2012-12-28 18:56:54

numberonegamers
Scratcher

I have a solution!!!!! To those who post their projects and they get their text to disappear, here is the solution! Make sure the bug is ON. which means make all the text disappear. Then upload the project a couple of times and after a couple of tries, it will work!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer