This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-07-30 12:32:19

Mick
Scratcher

X & Y

I learned what x & y mean in 3 days with Scratch.

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#2 2007-07-30 23:54:30

natalie
Scratch Team

Re: X & Y

How did you learn to use them? I'm interested to know, what do you think is the hardest part to understand or figure out?

#3 2007-08-10 17:05:48

Mick
Scratcher

um.. well i duble click the block then put different numbers in it & after a while i new what they meant. the hardesnt bit would be 'why are they called x & y'. i still havent figured that out.  tongue

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#4 2007-09-19 14:13:52

LeBurt
Scratcher

Mick: X and Y are just labels, we could have called them anything but the inventor of this system (called the cartesian system of coordinates), the French René Descartes, decided to give them these names.

#5 2007-09-26 01:36:09

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Actually Mick's question is quite interesting. Why did we choose X and Y and not A and B?  Natalie was also trying to find a an answer for this and from what I remember she found that the decision was made by one of the people who was printing one of the first books about coordinates (hundreds of years ago) because it was easier for the printing process to use those two letters. Something like that. 

It's interesting that we always tend to accept this kind of facts without thinking why they happened this way.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#6 2007-10-18 14:30:02

Mick
Scratcher

Wow, that's cool! I wonder why X & Y was easyer to print.

<think[ Hmmm...

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#7 2007-10-18 15:57:56

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

Yep: Rene Descartes used those letters first in his 1637 book "The Geometry," which you can browse through for free on Google Books. Interestingly, he also came up with idea of using a superscript to indicate an exponent, and the famous phrase "I think, therefore I am." Also, he's famous for sleeping really late. I suspect that he chose lowercase x and y because, if you look at the text of the book, he had already used capital A and B for points defining line segments (which of course we still do in high school), and probably wanted to use much different letters for the distances from the axes (i.e., lower case, and much farther along in the alphabet). JMHO, though...

#8 2007-10-18 17:37:27

ElMikkino
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Actually Mick's question is quite interesting. Why did we choose X and Y and not A and B?  Natalie was also trying to find a an answer for this and from what I remember she found that the decision was made by one of the people who was printing one of the first books about coordinates (hundreds of years ago) because it was easier for the printing process to use those two letters. Something like that. 

It's interesting that we always tend to accept this kind of facts without thinking why they happened this way.

X and Y sound cooler  cool .

Certified Bunnay Agent
--------ElMikkino-----------

#9 2007-11-05 19:41:15

nicolasx
Scratcher

ElMikkino wrote:

andresmh wrote:

No it is because X means horizontal or to the side, Y means Vertical or in up and down and if there was a Z it would be Diagonal

Last edited by nicolasx (2007-11-12 14:57:42)

#10 2007-11-05 22:27:19

dehrha02
Scratcher

speaking of X and Y, it would be nice if we could toggle a reference grid On and Off.

#11 2007-11-06 20:03:13

ElMikkino
Scratcher

nicolasx wrote:

ElMikkino wrote:

andresmh wrote:

No it is because X means horizontal or to the side, Y means Vertical or in up and down and if there was a Z it would be Diagonal

http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/5461

I was joking  smile .

Certified Bunnay Agent
--------ElMikkino-----------

#12 2007-11-21 12:09:36

pasta3049
Scratcher

3D coordinates use X, Y and Z so in 2 dimensions only need X and Y.

Last edited by pasta3049 (2007-11-21 12:10:00)

#13 2007-12-05 02:57:52

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

nicolasx wrote:

Z isn't diagonal, Z is the third dimension. When you look right-left, that'll be X, up-down is Y and right in front is Z.  smile
I found about X and Y a long time ago, when I tried, and failed miserably, to use 3dsmax.  tongue

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#14 2007-12-06 08:10:11

magicmark
Scratcher

the z axis is perpendicular to both the x and y axes !

Board footer