This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#4926 2012-06-15 15:39:16

Lunastar-
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

coolhogs wrote:

Who's next after yoshiboy?

yoshiboy isn't even gonna be the curator until July- did you mean technoboy10? If so, I start in 3 days! Or if you do mean yoshiboy, it's NeilWest.  smile

L- Lunatic is my second middle name. | U- unique | N- Night has stars and "los lunas" in it.  wink  | A- awesomeful | S- Super punny|
T- Three-time curated, once featured | A- Awesomest. curator. EVER!!!! (woo hoo) | R- Rainbows rule, peoples!

#4927 2012-06-15 18:49:31

mamdmartin
Scratcher

I think I would be a great curator because I love to help others with scripts and I give advice on people's projects to make them better. I give constructive comments to make people feel better about their projects. I never spam to get views or anything else. And finally, Scratch is my passion and I want to be the most nice and helpful Scratcher that ever existed. This is why think I would be a great curator.

#4928 2012-06-15 19:06:14

coolhogs
Scratcher

coolhogs wrote:

SCRATCH TEAM, PLEASE READ:

I ask myself WHY, HOW, WHOM, and WHAT; WHY I would like to become curator, HOW I would curate projects, WHOM I should curate, WHAT I should curate. thus dividing this into 4 categories.

WHY:
Most projects don't get on the front page. They just get into the newest projects category for a few minutes, then they vanIsh. Unfortunately, some of these projects are very good. If I was chosen to be curator, then these projects would soon become legends. Remember Kaj? Well, he/she was a Scratcher who claimed that his projects weren't famous, and then threatened to destroy Scratch. With me, that would never happen again.

HOW:
I would curate projects using this key:
Programming: /5
Art: /5
Sound: /5
Appropriate-ness: /5
Below 10 Views/Love-its/Favorites: /10

I will explain why I chose this key:
Programming: Explains how much is complex. This doesn't matter. The project can be complex, or the project can be small.
Art: Creativity of using the Scratch Paint Editor or any other paint program to create art
Sounds: The 3rd most important part of this key. Sounds range from sound effects to full-time songs. Sounds is an important part of this key, because the sounds rely on the art. For example, if a project has a slow character, it would be best to put in a slow song, than a hyper song.
Appropriate-ness: The 1st important part of this key. Appropriate-ness defines if it's suitable for children or not. If it isn't suitable, then I wouldn't curate it. Instead I would flag it.
Below 10 Views/Love-its/Favorites: The 2nd important part of this key. If it's below 10 views/love-its/favorites, it will be curated. If it isn't, then I would not curate it. I would instead say to the project creator, “If it doesn't get above 10 views/love-its/favorites in the [time left as curator divided by 2], I will curate it.”

Whom:
I would curate users with:
No Fame (No front paged project)

What:
I would curate:
Platformers (Raycasters, Scrollers, Static)
Animations (Funny ones not ones with just the Scratch Cat walking around)
Simulation: (Like Cloning Machines, Chat, Gravity)

Just wanted to bump this, and say that I have no intention for fame.  smile
EDIT: I also changed some stuff in the WHOM category.

Last edited by coolhogs (2012-06-15 21:43:13)

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#4929 2012-06-15 21:26:43

soupoftomato
Scratcher

coolhogs wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

I ask myself WHY, HOW, WHOM, and WHAT; WHY I would like to become curator, HOW I would curate projects, WHOM I should curate, WHAT I should curate. thus dividing this into 4 categories.

WHY:
Most projects don't get on the front page. They just get into the newest projects category for a few minutes, then they vanIsh. Unfortunately, some of these projects are very good. If I was chosen to be curator, then these projects would soon become legends. Remember Kaj? Well, he/she was a Scratcher who claimed that his projects weren't famous, and then threatened to destroy Scratch. With me, that would never happen again.

HOW:

Programming: Explains how much is complex. This doesn't matter. The project can be complex, or the project can be small.
Art: Creativity of using the Scratch Paint Editor or any other paint program to create art
Sounds: The 3rd most important part of this key. Sounds range from sound effects to full-time songs. Sounds is an important part of this key, because the sounds rely on the art. For example, if a project has a slow character, it would be best to put in a slow song, than a hyper song.
Appropriate-ness: The 1st important part of this key. Appropriate-ness defines if it's suitable for children or not. If it isn't suitable, then I wouldn't curate it. Instead I would flag it.
Below 10 Views/Love-its/Favorites: The 2nd important part of this key. If it's below 10 views/love-its/favorites, it will be curated. If it isn't, then I would not curate it. I would instead say to the project creator, “If it doesn't get above 10 views/love-its/favorites in the [time left as curator divided by 2], I will curate it.”

Whom:
Who have been on Scratch for at least 1 month
Who have a variety of projects

What:
I would curate:

1 month or younger Scratchers are entirely ineligible?????

What if a newer member has an AMAZING project but hasn't had time to make more?
They're ineligible for 2/3 of those "Whom" things for no good reason.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#4930 2012-06-15 21:40:25

coolhogs
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

WHY:

HOW:

Whom:
Who have been on Scratch for at least 1 month
Who have a variety of projects

What:
I would curate:

1 month or younger Scratchers are entirely ineligible?????

What if a newer member has an AMAZING project but hasn't had time to make more?
They're ineligible for 2/3 of those "Whom" things for no good reason.

Yes, I'll change that..

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#4931 2012-06-16 02:04:35

CoolScrawl
Scratcher

I would like to become a curator. I will not curate famous projects or violent ones, but I will curate non violent and non-famous, but very clever projects. I can not do August since I am on holiday, but I would like a slot in September sometime. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/sFkNT3c.gif

#4932 2012-06-16 02:42:19

bluecat600
Scratcher

lhlien wrote:

test

[scratchblocks]
when gf clicked
say [please ignore] for (2) secs
wait (1) secs
say [just a test] for (3) secs
say [thank you] for (1) secs

If you want to test [scratchblocks] out, this is'nt the right place.  smile

I gaze off into the boundless skyline, noteblock choirs playin in the sunshine, turn round pick up my sword and wield the blade that once forced evil mobs to yield, if this battle shall leave me slain, I know Herobrine still calls my name, better just take a stand, that was when I ruled the land.

#4933 2012-06-16 10:32:52

JDboy
Scratcher

could i be a curator

#4934 2012-06-17 12:42:20

UltraAdam
Scratcher

Dear Scratch Staff
I would love to become a curator because
1. I would only add non-popular projects
2. I wont add violent projects
3. The Projects I would add would be from Scratchers that are not very popular at the momment

Please take on board what I have said and consider making me Curator!

Bye!

-Ultraadam  big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/oRiUo.gif

#4935 2012-06-17 20:46:13

Meapinator101
Scratcher

scratcher5000 wrote:

Hello Scratch Team,

If I were a scratch curator I would strive to choose projects that really emphasize on scratches basic theme; Imagine, Program, Share.

Ever since my project, Pilot Ace: 3D got curated I've always had a remarkable admiration for the curators who have to choose a select number of projects to be shown to the Scratch Community. The day Pilot Ace got curated was one of my happiest days ever.

As a curator I would try to show projects from all different genres. Here are some of the genres I would show:
-RPGs
-Platformers
-Side Scrolling games
-Projects that use Pen
-Animations/Stories
-Tutorials
-and much, much more

As a scratch curator I would also make sure I got a new project curated each day, so that way I could curate almost every single different type of genre known to the Scratch community.

I would show projects that are from scratchers who are not well known, and also from collaborations who are not well known. I would make sure that the projects follow the community guidelines and also are appropriate for all ages.

If I were to become the Scratch Curator, I would have a great time curating other people's projects and I would learn a lot too!

Scratch on!  big_smile

Great speech, I hope you become curator!

http://i.imgur.com/QR1fV.png

#4936 2012-06-17 23:34:35

thebriculator
Scratcher

is there an easy place to find a list of future curators? (the next 3 or so?)
thanks!

.     http://tiny.cc/2cwgpw    http://tiny.cc/viwgpw    http://tiny.cc/iwwgpw

#4937 2012-06-18 00:06:09

TorbyFork234
Scratcher

This is my 3rd entry to becoming curator.

Hello anyone who may be reading this application,

I would like to be curator. I have been curated before, and it was one of the happiest moments I had on Scratch. I would want that happiness to also go to other scratchers.
I would curate any category of projects, whether it be animations, games, simulations, music, etc... as long as it has smooth controls (not blocky glitchy stuff), has come from a scratcher who doesn't have that many views per project, and has uniqueness.

I see many awesome projects out there. But usually, when I see one project from a category (ex. raycasters), they all seem the same. The only difference between them would be the pen color, and/or the map. But there's always those small group of projects that stand out from the rest. They added in something that has never been attempted before.
An example of a project I would curate would be a smooth-playing platformer. The movement doesn't seem blotchy, it doesn't look like they spent 5 minutes on it and called it complete, and it has relatively good graphics. That's first check. Second check: The author has about 15 views a project, not that much. Third check: It has a different story to the character depending on what decisions you, the player, make. That is unique.
Or it could be an animation that has a slider to go to which second of the video you want to watch. Or even a sheet-music to Scratch number converter, with the ability to save the  music that you just made.
If I don't find a project that has that uniqueness to it (I will try my best to have it have something unique), I will try to find either
A.) a new category. It could be a type of game that isn't seen almost anywhere around Scratch (ex. a demolisher type game)
B.) a project with outstanding features. It could be an array based raycaster that you can jump in, has friction, and has different levels. It's not necessarily new, but it's a good combination of features.

Thank you for reading my big block of text and Scratch on!

~~TorbyFork234

#4938 2012-06-18 06:20:16

evo12
Scratcher

Dear scratch team,

I have always wanted to be a curator. I felt making people feel good would be nice. I have never been curator. I have asked 2 other times on this fourm page. I will keep asking to be curator until I can be curator, because one of my dreams on scratch,  Is to make people happy. I would curate the "Hidden wonders" of scratch. Thank you for listening to this comment.

All the best, Evo

http://i46.tinypic.com/2qjvqcw.jpg

#4939 2012-06-18 13:15:28

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Interested in applying to be a Scratch curator?

We choose curators that represent the diversity of the Scratch Community - girls, boys, gamers, storytellers, animators - Scratchers of all kinds! We especially like to choose Scratchers who have been helpful and contributing members of the Scratch community.

When applying to be curator, it's good to give some thought to the kind of projects you'd like to show. "Cool projects that most people have never seen!" is a nice idea, but it doesn't really give us a good sense of what you like and why. We want to know what makes a project interesting to you.

Try viewing the projects in your favorites, and see if you can find a theme that describes them. Talk about that theme in your post on this thread, and consider providing a few links to good examples of that theme.

For example, I really like projects that use sound input from the microphone to draw interesting designs on the screen. Here's an example of one that I recently added to my favorites: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MitFan/874786

Scratch On!

p.s. Want to read more about the curator role, including tips on how to make a good application? Check out kayybee's post: "Can I become the curator? and other curator questions."

Is there an age limit?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/jackdelamare/JPIV/JPIV-Userbar2.png after seven years of development fails I'm impatient... IT MUST COME

#4940 2012-06-18 15:36:03

Lucario621
Community Moderator

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

Is there an age limit?

Nope, I don't think so.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#4941 2012-06-18 15:48:03

ftf841
Scratcher

do you need parent permission?

http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/i9002/Achievement++get%21/Hi+there./mca.png
http://mag.racked.eu/mcimage/i354/Achievement++get%21/CAKE%21%21%21%21%21/mca.png

#4942 2012-06-18 18:45:53

rocketshipsrock
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator. I will pick three games that have very little views. I will make the games diverse, sports, rpg, or creative. I think I would be a great curator!

#4943 2012-06-18 20:31:32

Meapinator101
Scratcher

Hi scratch team. I would like to be curator for Scratch the website. I believe that curators do more than make someone famous, I believe curators try to make a point and try to recognize projects. If I'm curated I will curate projects that were really thought about. Probably projects by a collaboration.
          I don't think collaborations get enough credit. I think they should be recognized as a group and team. Collaborations have a huge growing space and a lot of potential. I'm a part of several collaborations like Rocket Investments where we focus on other scratcher growth. I would be great if someone curates some collaboration projects. I would curate projects like that.
          Like anyone would say I would curate unique projects. I would curate projects that are well thought out and are clever. Some that have a unique effect. Whether it is a great classic arcade game or a really good calculator.
         When I usually look at the front page and I see cool platformers  which is great. I personally like technology and science. I would curate some big breakthroughs that have great advanced programs. Although I don't program those myself I think more people need to see that.
           Scratch is really fun. It would be great if I'm curator. I would mainly curate collaboration projects and advanced breakthroughs. I would not curate any "famous" people because there is no point. But I will curate them if it is really good. I would really focus on finding those projects that don't get noticed. If someone is famous and they make a spectacular project people would see it any way. I see the front page as something that expands interests of the scratch community.
           My company, Rocket Investments gives and supports collaborations by giving them a progress report filled with compliments and advice and constructive criticism and making logos and advertisements. If I was curator I would thoroughly look through the project and give them advice and compliments just like me customers. I would give them advice through paragraphs along (like this) along with a side-by-side grading system out of 10.
             I really enjoy working with people on scratch.  Although I know there are many applicants for this job I think I would be great. I will be diverse and un-biased. Thanks and Scratch On!

Meapinator101

Last edited by Meapinator101 (2012-06-18 22:48:26)

#4944 2012-06-18 21:07:50

XenoK
Scratcher

Meapinator101 wrote:

Hi scratch team. I would like to be curator for Scratch the website. I believe that curators do more than make someone famous, I believe curators try to make a point and try to recognize projects. If I'm curated I will curate projects that were really thought about. Probably projects by a collaboration.
          I don't think collaborations get enough credit. I think they should be recognized as a group and team. Collaborations have a huge growing space and a lot of potential. I'm a part of several collaborations like Rocket Investments where we focus on other scratcher growth. I would be great if someone curates some collaboration projects. I would curate projects like that.
          Like anyone would say I would curate unique projects. I would curate projects that are well thought out and are clever. Some that have a unique effect. Whether it is a great classic arcade game or a really good calculator.
         When I usually look at the front page and I see cool platformers  which is great. I personally like technology and science. I would curate some big breakthroughs that have great advanced programs. Although I don't program those myself I think more people need to see that.
           Scratch is really fun. It would be great if I'm curator. I would mainly curate collaboration projects and advanced breakthroughs. I would not curate any "famous" people because there is no point. But I will curate them if it is really good. I would really focus on finding those projects that don't get noticed. If someone is famous and they make a spectacular project people would see it any way. I see the front page as something that expands interests of the scratch community.
           My company, Rocket Investments gives and supports collaborations by giving them a progress report filled with compliments and advice and constructive criticism and making logos and advertisements. If I was curator I would thoroughly look through the project and give them advice and compliments just like me customers. I would give them advice through paragraphs along (like this) along with a side-by-side grading system out of 10.
             Although I know there are many applicants for this job I think I would be great. I will be diverse and un-biased. Thanks and Scratch On!

Meapinator101

this is a great entry!  I hope you get curator.

Eternity Tasks has launched into Alpha One! http://tasks.eternityincurakai.com/EI%20projects.png

#4945 2012-06-18 22:01:37

Flashing
New Scratcher

I'd like to become a curator.
*More coming soon*

#4946 2012-06-18 22:35:43

Ecliptic
Scratcher

ftf841 wrote:

do you need parent permission?

I do not believe so. I'm pretty sure the only thing in which the Scratch Team needs your parent's permission is when one becomes a Community Moderator.

If you can read this you are in range.

#4947 2012-06-18 22:48:40

Meapinator101
Scratcher

XenoK wrote:

Meapinator101 wrote:

Although I know there are many applicants for this job I think I would be great. I will be diverse and un-biased. Thanks and Scratch On!

Meapinator101

this is a great entry!  I hope you get curator.

Thanks!

#4948 2012-06-18 22:50:19

scratcher5000
Scratcher

Meapinator101 wrote:

I really enjoy working with people on scratch.  Although I know there are many applicants for this job I think I would be great. I will be diverse and un-biased. Thanks and Scratch On!

Meapinator101

awesome speech!! you definitely deserve to be curator more than i do!  big_smile

Click The Picture!!!https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AJkKdtvtfB8/T8wjCMxcatI/AAAAAAAAAIs/46buzBlD9U0/s0-d/cooltext709275256.png I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=scratcher5000&action=onlineStatus&type=text

#4949 2012-06-18 22:52:05

scratcher5000
Scratcher

Flashing wrote:

I'd like to become a curator.
*More coming soon*

you can't be a curator until you're a full scratcher

Click The Picture!!!https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AJkKdtvtfB8/T8wjCMxcatI/AAAAAAAAAIs/46buzBlD9U0/s0-d/cooltext709275256.png I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=scratcher5000&action=onlineStatus&type=text

#4950 2012-06-18 22:55:31

Meapinator101
Scratcher

scratcher5000 wrote:

Meapinator101 wrote:

Meapinator101

awesome speech!! you definitely deserve to be curator more than i do!  big_smile

Thanks......... (:

Board footer