This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#676 2012-06-06 23:13:26

DIY
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

I just finished recording drums for the 'Opening Song'. jslomba hasn't posted here in a while, so I really couldn't delay it if we are to release the album by the end of the year.  hmm

Since you found the bass hard, this means I will be playing all the instruments for that song. hpotter doesn't play the rhythm exactly how I intended either.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#677 2012-06-07 19:15:05

jslomba
Scratcher

I'm here, I'm here. I'll record the drums this weekend.

Sorry I haven't been posting lately.

the the the the the

#678 2012-06-07 22:49:39

DIY
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

I'm here, I'm here. I'll record the drums this weekend.

Sorry I haven't been posting lately.

Since I've recorded the Opening Song drums, you can start recording the drums for the other songs. Links to them can be found on the first post of this thread.

So far, all my songs on that list are complete so you can record the drum tracks for them. Of Techno's songs though, only Out of the Possible is ready for recording.

#679 2012-06-07 22:54:48

technoguyx
Scratcher

I really need to finish the other tracks. D: I'll progress on them slowly as long as I can find some time, like now.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#680 2012-06-07 23:08:19

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I really need to finish the other tracks. D: I'll progress on them slowly as long as I can find some time, like now.

Cool. I have a ballad coming up, which I will share with you soon.  smile

#681 2012-06-08 00:41:13

technoguyx
Scratcher

I think we can call the "first sad, then funky" ready for recording. Mostly repeated choruses and verses, but I added a pair of guitar solos and a bridge in which one of those is played. I also reduced the tempo a bit - it was too fast before. It turned out to be quite the long song, too - it's about 5 minutes I think, and I usually don't write long songs.  tongue  Now all it needs is lyrics. And lyrics are my weak point. D:

I'll play the "Distorted Guitar", "Solo Guitar" and "Bass" tracks in this song. As usual, the acoustic guitar and drums will be played by hpotter and jslomba respectively.  smile

#682 2012-06-08 01:34:27

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I think we can call the "first sad, then funky" ready for recording. Mostly repeated choruses and verses, but I added a pair of guitar solos and a bridge in which one of those is played. I also reduced the tempo a bit - it was too fast before. It turned out to be quite the long song, too - it's about 5 minutes I think, and I usually don't write long songs.  tongue  Now all it needs is lyrics. And lyrics are my weak point. D:

I'll play the "Distorted Guitar", "Solo Guitar" and "Bass" tracks in this song. As usual, the acoustic guitar and drums will be played by hpotter and jslomba respectively.  smile

I know you are a good guitarist like me and can't wait to hear you!  smile

Any piano parts? Tell me a theme you want for the song and I may be able to help out with lyrics.

#683 2012-06-08 02:35:32

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, your song is good. The reprise in the end is unexpected (although I was aware there was more to it since you said it was 5 minutes  tongue ) and is a nice idea.

The one issue there seems to be with it is that the pinch harmonies are slightly off at certain points. They sound discordant to me. I only could decipher that by listening by ear, as I usually am able to tell if something's off or not. I did not yet go through the notation, so I may be wrong, but I would imagine it would sound better on the root chord, not the harmonic one.

I'll go through it again however, and tell you what I think of that part. The rest is fine. Could you change it to the way I mentioned and then notify me? Thanks.  smile

Last edited by DIY (2012-06-08 06:29:41)

#684 2012-06-08 11:56:00

technoguyx
Scratcher

The "reprise" sounds fine to me, so do the pinch harmonics in the solo. Though I do agree they might sound better on the root note - I notated them on the fifth. Going by strict theory, the root note being played is a F# over an A chord. F# would be a sixth in that chord, and it's fifth, C#, would be the major 3rd of the A chord. So the root note isn't even part of the chord in the first place.  tongue

As I mentioned, the harmonics don't sound that bad to me.  hmm  Maybe they'll sound better in the actual instrument - if they still sound bad I might play the root note as the harmonic instead.

EDIT: Just throwing an idea there, what if we released an AMV (animated music video - i.e. not your typical recorded video, but an animation instead) along with the album's release? I'm pretty sure there's at least one collab with the intention of creating animations in this very forum, we could contact one of said collabs, or a single user with experience in the matter.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-06-08 12:30:12)

#685 2012-06-08 12:55:37

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

The "reprise" sounds fine to me, so do the pinch harmonics in the solo. Though I do agree they might sound better on the root note - I notated them on the fifth. Going by strict theory, the root note being played is a F# over an A chord. F# would be a sixth in that chord, and it's fifth, C#, would be the major 3rd of the A chord. So the root note isn't even part of the chord in the first place.  tongue

As I mentioned, the harmonics don't sound that bad to me.  hmm  Maybe they'll sound better in the actual instrument - if they still sound bad I might play the root note as the harmonic instead.

EDIT: Just throwing an idea there, what if we released an AMV (animated music video - i.e. not your typical recorded video, but an animation instead) along with the album's release? I'm pretty sure there's at least one collab with the intention of creating animations in this very forum, we could contact one of said collabs, or a single user with experience in the matter.

I never said I didn't like the reprise you know.  tongue

I took a careful look at the notation and what is up now seems fine. About the AMVs, we need not hire anyone in the department. It is a good idea and I'm rather proficient at producing cut-scenes for videogames and trailers. You may have seen some of my well known work on Scratch.

In this case, we'll create an AMV for just one song, perhaps the best one. I like the idea, and it should definitely be considered.  smile

#686 2012-06-09 11:25:14

DIY
Scratcher

Band members, here's another song I've started on. It is a slow ballad and is our first duet (for male and female vocals). LolaRose1892 and one of us guys will have to do vocals on this song. It is not complete yet, but so far is the only song I've made for the 2nd album with lyrics. Lyrics to my other songs will be added later. Feedback is greatly appreciated from any band member. Techno, I could do with your expertise on how to structure the rest of the song.

#687 2012-06-09 14:54:09

technoguyx
Scratcher

You call that slow? It's pretty upbeat right now.  tongue  Given the rhythm of the song, I'd say it'll turn out to be another of our typical pop rock-esque songs.

I say you end that first chorus (I'll assume the "So stay with me", etc. part is the chorus, since the two vocalists sing in unison and it contains the word "baby" a bit too many times lol) with a D before going on to a small pre-verse bit with the same, or a similar progression and instrumentation as the chorus, without lyrics. Then the song moves to the second verse, another chorus and maybe this time a pre-verse with a simple guitar solo before another chorus and a bridge with a different chord progression, perhaps in a minor key. Then a final chorus. Perhaps a whole tone higher - in A. It's cliche, but it gives the song a touch of magnificence, to say so.  wink

So, uh, yeah, I would continue the song going by standard pop song structure, pretty much.  tongue

#688 2012-06-09 15:51:00

technoguyx
Scratcher

@hpotter134, do you mind if I add both overdriven and clean parts in the "smooth" song? The choruses are intended to be played with an overdriven tone - you could record the choruses and the rest of the song separately.

EDIT: Said song is now ready for recording. Needs lyrics - I wrote some ideas for it one time but I didn't remember the rhythm of the song well, so now I'll have to figure out how to fit them into the song's current rhythm.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-06-09 16:17:52)

#689 2012-06-09 20:16:05

All4one
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Said song is now ready for recording. Needs lyrics - I wrote some ideas for it one time but I didn't remember the rhythm of the song well, so now I'll have to figure out how to fit them into the song's current rhythm.

You know, if you had some amplified guitar tracks in the back there, and if you played the guitar solo on an electric guitar, you could have a hard rocking song with an almost glam metal sound.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#690 2012-06-09 21:37:05

technoguyx
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

Said song is now ready for recording. Needs lyrics - I wrote some ideas for it one time but I didn't remember the rhythm of the song well, so now I'll have to figure out how to fit them into the song's current rhythm.

You know, if you had some amplified guitar tracks in the back there, and if you played the guitar solo on an electric guitar, you could have a hard rocking song with an almost glam metal sound.

The guitar solo is, indeed, meant to be played in an electric guitar with quite a bit of gain  wink  But I feel my guitar skills aren't worthy of a glam metal guitarist.  hmm

EDIT: I recorded two of my own songs' bass tracks, the "smooth" and the "funky" ones. ULing them to SoundCloud as private tracks for you to download, DIY.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-06-09 23:58:34)

#691 2012-06-10 04:23:50

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

You call that slow? It's pretty upbeat right now.  tongue  Given the rhythm of the song, I'd say it'll turn out to be another of our typical pop rock-esque songs.

I say you end that first chorus (I'll assume the "So stay with me", etc. part is the chorus, since the two vocalists sing in unison and it contains the word "baby" a bit too many times lol) with a D before going on to a small pre-verse bit with the same, or a similar progression and instrumentation as the chorus, without lyrics. Then the song moves to the second verse, another chorus and maybe this time a pre-verse with a simple guitar solo before another chorus and a bridge with a different chord progression, perhaps in a minor key. Then a final chorus. Perhaps a whole tone higher - in A. It's cliche, but it gives the song a touch of magnificence, to say so.  wink

So, uh, yeah, I would continue the song going by standard pop song structure, pretty much.  tongue

Hmm... Perhaps I'll take your suggestion, but my intention was to go for an unorthodox song structure. Do you think you could save a copy of my song and show me what you exactly mean? Ending in a chorus a wholetone higher is cliche; we have already used it in Gone and I would avoid doing that. Also, it started out slow but transformed a lot once I transcribed that, so it's my mistake.  smile

I was thinking more of a piano solo for my song, but I guess a guitar solo will go well too after jamming in my music room.

technoguyx wrote:

That's good. jslomba and hpotter can record their respective tracks, or will you be playing all the guitars?

technoguyx wrote:

The guitar solo is, indeed, meant to be played in an electric guitar with quite a bit of gain  wink  But I feel my guitar skills aren't worthy of a glam metal guitaristhmm

What do you mean by that? I thought you are a pretty good guitarist.  big_smile

#692 2012-06-10 13:27:06

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Hmm... Perhaps I'll take your suggestion, but my intention was to go for an unorthodox song structure. Do you think you could save a copy of my song and show me what you exactly mean? Ending in a chorus a wholetone higher is cliche; we have already used it in Gone and I would avoid doing that. Also, it started out slow but transformed a lot once I transcribed that, so it's my mistake.  smile

I was thinking more of a piano solo for my song, but I guess a guitar solo will go well too after jamming in my music room.

Hm, unorthodox structures are always fun to mess with  tongue  Yes, I thought about saving a copy of your song and continuing it myself, but the way you propose it sounds good too.

Maybe completely change what we currently have, and make it a purely piano/vocal ballad, at least for the first verse and chorus? After that, a short piano solo, then the rest of the instruments enter subtly and progressively. Maybe they would enter after the second chorus, too - making pretty much half the song a "pure" piano ballad.

DIY wrote:

jslomba and hpotter can record their respective tracks, or will you be playing all the guitars?

Yes, they can and should.  smile

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

But I feel my guitar skills aren't worthy of a glam metal guitaristhmm

I wouldn't say I'm "good", just fine enough to compose, and ocassionally record tracks.  tongue  But so far, I haven't had any problems with my own tracks - they're simple enough for me to play. The only real problem I have, is that I can't get a good guitar sound out of the amp and cabinet VSTs I currently have. My cheap-o amp sounds better than what I managed to create yesterday after recording the bass tracks.  lol

#693 2012-06-10 13:48:05

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

Hm, unorthodox structures are always fun to mess with  tongue  Yes, I thought about saving a copy of your song and continuing it myself, but the way you propose it sounds good too.

Maybe completely change what we currently have, and make it a purely piano/vocal ballad, at least for the first verse and chorus? After that, a short piano solo, then the rest of the instruments enter subtly and progressively. Maybe they would enter after the second chorus, too - making pretty much half the song a "pure" piano ballad.

DIY wrote:

jslomba and hpotter can record their respective tracks, or will you be playing all the guitars?

Yes, they can and should.  smile

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

But I feel my guitar skills aren't worthy of a glam metal guitaristhmm

I wouldn't say I'm "good", just fine enough to compose, and ocassionally record tracks.  tongue  But so far, I haven't had any problems with my own tracks - they're simple enough for me to play. The only real problem I have, is that I can't get a good guitar sound out of the amp and cabinet VSTs I currently have. My cheap-o amp sounds better than what I managed to create yesterday after recording the bass tracks.  lol

Your suggestions for the song are good.  smile

I will try them out, but do you suppose you can upload a copy of my song the way you would edit it. I will edit it myself too and then we can determine what good things can be put into the final version from both.

LOL about what you mentioned last. The quality of your bass tracks are good so far, I must agree. You are a good bass player though.  tongue

#694 2012-06-10 22:12:05

technoguyx
Scratcher

Here's the G-Major ballad after adding some of my own ideas. I intended to turn it into a piano-only ballad but it sounded horrible (either Noteflight or I'm horrible writing piano ballads  tongue  ), so I decided to go with the more "pop rock" sound I assumed the song had.

#695 2012-06-10 23:17:31

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Here's the G-Major ballad after adding some of my own ideas. I intended to turn it into a piano-only ballad but it sounded horrible (either Noteflight or I'm horrible writing piano ballads  tongue  ), so I decided to go with the more "pop rock" sound I assumed the song had.

Yup, I thought so myself. Thanks for uploading. I'll edit it my own way and see if we can combine both versions.  smile

#696 2012-06-11 12:32:42

DIY
Scratcher

I just listened to your edit of my song. I noticed you had progressed on my song since it is different to the version I heard this morning, so it's good to see that you're continuing work on it!  big_smile

The interlude is a good idea. We can now easily work out a good piano/guitar solo segment and a good guitar solo at the end. I really like the idea of the slow guitar arpeggios at the end, where there will be a solo guitar. Is that intended to be the complete song or are you going to progress more on it? I don't mind either way, although there could be a fade out from this point.

I will polish it in my free time, and create the final version. Thanks a lot for the work! It's greatly appreciated.  smile

EDIT: Could you complete the female vocal interlude? I'd like you to transcribe the tune you have for the melody in mind so that we can complete it with lyrics. Thanks.  tongue

Last edited by DIY (2012-06-11 12:42:52)

#697 2012-06-11 12:46:46

technoguyx
Scratcher

Yes, I progressed and will keep progressing in it. Forgot to post that here.  tongue  After the guitar solo and the interlude, the song should somehow change to another verse (can't figure out how to make this change cleanly) and chorus, then it finally ends.

As of now, I have no vocal melody in mind for the female interlude. :3

#698 2012-06-11 12:53:14

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Yes, I progressed and will keep progressing in it. Forgot to post that here.  tongue  After the guitar solo and the interlude, the song should somehow change to another verse (can't figure out how to make this change cleanly) and chorus, then it finally ends.

No hurry. Could you come up with one and tell me once you're done?  smile

We can maybe have the guitar solo for 32 bars, with a gradual fade-out, so that the song is of decent structure and length. In that case, we won't have to add another verse and it won't sound too abrupt. The extra verse could complicate matters, but if you do come up with a good progression back to the verse, feel free to edit the score and share your idea. Then we can evaluate the two.

Glad you'll keep up the progress on it. This is great as it is, but you can continue to see where it leads. In my opinion, we'll need another chord variation if we don't want the tune to get repetitive, as an interlude, if you get what I mean.  tongue

Otherwise, this is fine.

#699 2012-06-11 13:01:15

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

We can maybe have the guitar solo for 32 bars, with a gradual fade-out, so that the song is of decent structure and length. In that case, we won't have to add another verse and it won't sound too abrupt. The extra verse could complicate matters, but if you do come up with a good progression back to the verse, feel free to edit the score and share your idea. Then we can evaluate the two.

Glad you'll keep up the progress on it. This is great as it is, but you can continue to see where it leads. In my opinion, we'll need another chord variation if we don't want the tune to get repetitive, as an interlude, if you get what I mean.  tongue

Otherwise, this is fine.

Yes, I get what you mean. The idea of a long, fading-out guitar solo doesn't sound bad either, though it might render the song a bit short.

I also just came up with the idea of reducing the tempo a bit, making the song a little less pacey, perhaps fitting the lyrics better.

#700 2012-06-11 13:05:23

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

Otherwise, this is fine.

Yes, I get what you mean. The idea of a long, fading-out guitar solo doesn't sound bad either, though it might render the song a bit short.

I also just came up with the idea of reducing the tempo a bit, making the song a little less pacey, perhaps fitting the lyrics better.

I'm fine with you slowing down the tempo a bit. I was under the same impression when I first transcribed the song. However, it gives the song a lively beat to it this way, so I dunno.

Board footer