This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#4876 2012-06-05 15:59:21

James07
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

scratcher5000 wrote:

Who is the next curator after Legolas_greenleaf? I am not sure if I asked this in the right place but if you know the answer to my question could you tell me (preferably tell me on my scratch projects because I don't usually check this forum post xD)

technoboy10

http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=James07

#4877 2012-06-05 16:29:53

michael224
Scratcher

Hi. I would like to be curator because i would like to give some lesser-known people a chance to get a bit of popularity and pick some semi-famous peoples old projects that might be really good but don't have a lot of views

Thanks
michael224  big_smile

And that is the end. Goodbye.

#4878 2012-06-05 16:42:30

bobbybee
Scratcher

Just wanted to bump this...

bobbybee wrote:

Hello. I’m bobbybee. I’ve been Scratching since 2009. (maybe even 2008 without an account). My best project so far, DragonThunder, is a one-of-a-kind project that I’ve been working on for many months, which proves I’m dedicated to the Scratch community. Honestly, if Scratch didn’t have such wonderful people on the forums, I’m not sure I would’ve ever stayed. And the reason I’m applying for curator is so I can step up my role in the community.

I’m interested in becoming a curator because I can fairly assess the wide range of Scratch projects and select the ones that best represent the Scratch community. I appreciate unique Scratch projects that are well thought-out and programmed equally well. If I were a curator, for example, I would help prevent the trends that occur on the homepage such as remix chains. Instead, I would leave space for the most unique projects, the projects that nobody looks at, but are often substantially better than famous projects. Why do I have qualification to judge fame or uniqueness? I’ve been on Scratch for more than two years, during which time I’ve Scratched many projects, uploaded or not, allowing me to gain a thorough understanding of a project’s quality. I am actively foruming and have a keen understanding on who is famous, getting projects front-paged and who is not. Based on feedback from other Scratchers, my programming is outstanding and this skill gives me the advantage to truly see whether a project is complex or basic, regardless of the project’s visuals. For example, if I’m judging a game, I will judge art, game-play, and sounds, but most importantly, I judge the programming. Focus on programming is key as in Scratch’s motto, “imagine, program, share”, which consists of the word “program,” and not the word “draw,” or “compose.” Either way, it is my opinion that uniqueness and programming truly are the two most important aspects of a project.

Even though I value uniqueness and programming, I particularly show these traits in projects that I might curate. For instance, I would more likely curate a well-programmed game with a unique plot. I also particularly enjoy projects that take normal, common ideas and put big spins on them like RedRocker’s 1s1s Ultra Pong. As for the programming side, I can get more selective about which projects are worth it to me. I have always been fascinated by multiplayer projects and there is a major reason why curators would be helpful to these projects: Featured Projects must work well online (there are no official online multiplayer methods at the time of writing), and the community slots wouldn’t work because more people are interested in the more common projects, which doesn’t leave room for the more unique projects (which often take more patience to set-up). Another type of hard, programming-related projects are unique 3D projects. I don’t find much interest in basic 3D projects, like sprites made in Blender, which are usually quite easy to do if you have 3D modeling experience, and shun upon much real programming, but I find excellence in 3D projects, which are using more pioneered methods, such as Canthiar’s ray tracer. But if I find a truly unique and well-programmed project, I can enjoy it, and curate it, regardless of some of the criteria I mentioned throughout this paragraph.

I’ve always had dreams of getting a leadership position in the Scratch community, such as curatorship, a wonderful opportunity. I continue to be dedicated to Scratch, as I proved with some of my unique, well-programmed projects that took much work and often collaboration. Another example of my dedication is that I designed a custom T-Shirt that I’ll be wearing to MIT Scratch Day 2012. I truly believe I have the necessary skills to be a great curator and look forward to making the Scratch Community an even better for programming, artists, and great minds alike. Scratch On!

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#4879 2012-06-06 06:10:18

benjamin2
Scratcher

I would love to be a curator on the Scratch homepage.

I would curate projects that range from a few hours old to a few weeks old, but I will mostly curate the newer projects of less-known Scratchers. I am a particular fan of puzzle games, platformers, but I also like many projects that are not games.

I wouldn't curate projects from very well-known Scratchers, because that isn't the purpose. One, they'll get tons of views and comments anyway, and two, there'll probably end up on the front page for most viewed or most loved.

I would add a new project about 3-5 times a week and I would accept requests but they'd have to follow guidelines, such as being appropriate, having a certain number of views/love its or less, and certain facts about the scratcher (not being frontpaged recently, for example).

Please consider letting me take on this role as it would be a fun and learning experience. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/gp6tZ.gif

#4880 2012-06-06 10:44:59

bionicle87
Scratcher

nice  smile

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare

#4881 2012-06-06 15:53:45

sonicpikmin
Scratcher

I would enjoy being a curator. I like projects that are cool, funny and nice. I also enjoy the work of people who wwork realy hard on their projects, and have cool characters. I think i might be a good curator!

Pokemon trade!  Celebi for victini!

#4882 2012-06-06 17:35:34

cjones590
Scratcher

Please make me a curator!
I'll do anything!
Anything!  sad

#4883 2012-06-06 19:10:28

UltraJordan
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Interested in applying to be a Scratch curator?

We choose curators that represent the diversity of the Scratch Community - girls, boys, gamers, storytellers, animators - Scratchers of all kinds! We especially like to choose Scratchers who have been helpful and contributing members of the Scratch community.

When applying to be curator, it's good to give some thought to the kind of projects you'd like to show. "Cool projects that most people have never seen!" is a nice idea, but it doesn't really give us a good sense of what you like and why. We want to know what makes a project interesting to you.

Try viewing the projects in your favorites, and see if you can find a theme that describes them. Talk about that theme in your post on this thread, and consider providing a few links to good examples of that theme.

For example, I really like projects that use sound input from the microphone to draw interesting designs on the screen. Here's an example of one that I recently added to my favorites: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MitFan/874786

Scratch On!

p.s. Want to read more about the curator role, including tips on how to make a good application? Check out kayybee's post: "Can I become the curator? and other curator questions."

I extremely want to become a curator. I have greatly contributed to the Scratch community and have been on Scratch for a long time.

#4884 2012-06-06 19:12:54

coolhogs
Scratcher

Who's next after yoshiboy?

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#4885 2012-06-07 09:52:07

sanjayraj
Scratcher

Hi, I would love to be a curator. Here's a link to one of my scratch projects

http://i46.tinypic.com/23sw40j.png

#4886 2012-06-07 13:09:43

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher

I would like to apply to be a curator.

If I were chosen, I would choose each project I curate carefully and give it a lot of thought- it's a big thing to be curated!

To gather a large range of nominations to be curated, I would advertise my curatorship in my signature and make a thread in the forums.

When I get some requests to be curated, I would first review the project in question. I would only curate projects with <50 views and only curate users with an average of <20 comments per project.

If the project and user in question meet these 1st two requirements, I'd ask some further questions;
"Is this project made to the user's best ability?"
"Would the Scratch Community enjoy this project or learn from this project?"
"Is it appropriate?"

If the project passes this test, there is a high chance of it being curated.

Types of Projects I would curate; (in order of preference)
• Clever Use of Pen feature (I love this, see my current signature)  wink
• Fun, Addictive Games
• Long-lasting games that Scratch users can come back to again and again
• Well-made or funny animations
• Simple, minimalist projects which are still interesting

I would keep a project on the front page for as long as I feel it deserves.

And that would be my system of curating!  wink

-PhirripSyrrip

Last edited by PhirripSyrrip (2012-06-07 13:11:09)

http://i46.tinypic.com/ao03lk.png

#4887 2012-06-07 14:59:38

cjones590
Scratcher

Please make me a curator.

#4888 2012-06-07 21:15:57

Bwilson55
Scratcher

I'm Intrested! That would really help some other projects that deserve more attention!  smile

#4889 2012-06-07 21:20:35

Bwilson55
Scratcher

benjamin2 wrote:

I would curate projects that range from a few hours old to a few weeks old, but I will mostly curate the newer projects of less-known Scratchers. I am a particular fan of puzzle games, platformers, but I also like many projects that are not games.

I wouldn't curate projects from very well-known Scratchers, because that isn't the purpose. One, they'll get tons of views and comments anyway, and two, there'll probably end up on the front page for most viewed or most loved.

I would add a new project about 3-5 times a week and I would accept requests but they'd have to follow guidelines, such as being appropriate, having a certain number of views/love its or less, and certain facts about the scratcher (not being frontpaged recently, for example).

Please consider letting me take on this role as it would be a fun and learning experience. Thanks!

I think you would be a great curator!

#4890 2012-06-07 22:56:56

RTAIce
New Scratcher

cool,but I don't know that,55

#4891 2012-06-07 23:04:06

humhumgames
Scratcher

cjones590 wrote:

Please make me a curator!
I'll do anything!
Anything!  sad

You would have a better chance of being one if you give reasons why you deserve to be a curator. Like what type of projects you would curate, how much experience do you have as a scratcher, things like that.  big_smile  Good luck!

#4892 2012-06-08 08:33:04

cjones590
Scratcher

I want to be a Curator.

#4893 2012-06-08 09:57:08

benjamin2
Scratcher

Bwilson55 wrote:

benjamin2 wrote:

I think you would be a great curator!

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/gp6tZ.gif

#4894 2012-06-09 10:26:44

UltraJordan
Scratcher

I've always wanted to be a curator. I've been on Scratch for about 8 months so I have lots of experience.

I will add a project to the front page once every day.

-UltraJordan

#4895 2012-06-09 12:00:40

coolhogs
Scratcher

coolhogs wrote:

Who's next after yoshiboy?

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#4896 2012-06-09 12:48:22

Cooldude007
Scratcher

I really want to be a scratch curator. I am a gamer and animator and been helpful to the community. I will make cool projects that no one has ever seen as well. My favourite projects are adventure projects and I put them in my favourites!

#4897 2012-06-09 17:14:38

soraandsonic
Scratcher

Hi, I would like to be curator because I think people should been seen not hiding from the crowd, if them want to be known, they should be known. Plz for my sister's first friend death.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/soraandsonic/2309546
Look at this!

#4898 2012-06-09 20:40:01

James07
Scratcher

UltraJordan wrote:

I've always wanted to be a curator. I've been on Scratch for about 8 months so I have lots of experience.

-UltraJordan

I have never seen UltraJordan post.  I thought he was sticking with Blob.

http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=James07

#4899 2012-06-09 20:45:36

scratcher5000
Scratcher

Hello Scratch Team,

If I were a scratch curator I would strive to choose projects that really emphasize on scratches basic theme; Imagine, Program, Share.

Ever since my project, Pilot Ace: 3D got curated I've always had a remarkable admiration for the curators who have to choose a select number of projects to be shown to the Scratch Community. The day Pilot Ace got curated was one of my happiest days ever.

As a curator I would try to show projects from all different genres. Here are some of the genres I would show:
-RPGs
-Platformers
-Side Scrolling games
-Projects that use Pen
-Animations/Stories
-Tutorials
-and much, much more

As a scratch curator I would also make sure I got a new project curated each day, so that way I could curate almost every single different type of genre known to the Scratch community.

I would show projects that are from scratchers who are not well known, and also from collaborations who are not well known. I would make sure that the projects follow the community guidelines and also are appropriate for all ages.

If I were to become the Scratch Curator, I would have a great time curating other people's projects and I would learn a lot too!

Scratch on!  big_smile

Click The Picture!!!https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AJkKdtvtfB8/T8wjCMxcatI/AAAAAAAAAIs/46buzBlD9U0/s0-d/cooltext709275256.png I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=scratcher5000&amp;action=onlineStatus&amp;type=text

#4900 2012-06-10 06:53:54

ExtremelyGamer
Scratcher

James07 wrote:

UltraJordan wrote:

-UltraJordan

I have never seen UltraJordan post.  I thought he was sticking with Blob.

WOW! 4900th reply!

"Submarines are like water like underwater airplanes" O_o

Board footer