This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#651 2012-05-27 22:49:23

DIY
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

Techno, I finished yet another song of mine. It is a true piano ballad with immense variations (it is also rather long due to these variations, though the whole sequence repeats only twice, with slight differences). Characteristic to a lot of piano ballads, this has no rhythm guitar. I initially added a lead guitar part to it (which would play fills throughout the song), but it messed up the overall Noteflight score, so I'm leaving that to when we actually get down to recording. I would think this is one of my strongest songs (probably after the 'masterpiece'), so I'd prefer if this is prioritised when recording, over my other songs. Please band members, get to recording soon (techno excluded as I know you and I have started recording many of our songs already) and submit them as soon as possible.

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-27 22:50:02)

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#652 2012-05-28 09:55:21

technoguyx
Scratcher

Loved that piano ballad, especially how the drum beat fits it's respective piano part so well. Normally when I picture a piano ballad I picture something more complex and virtuosic, but the simplicity of the rhythm here gives it a pretty strong, solid sound.  smile

I figure a strong voice would fit the song, but as far as I'm aware none of us really has such a strong voice.  hmm

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#653 2012-05-28 10:41:20

jslomba
Scratcher

Hey guys, I finished one of my old song ideas. You can see it here.

the the the the the

#654 2012-05-28 15:54:37

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I figure a strong voice would fit the song, but as far as I'm aware none of us really has such a strong voice.  hmm

For which song is this? I just wanna know so I can see what you mean xP

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#655 2012-05-28 22:49:19

technoguyx
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

For which song is this? I just wanna know so I can see what you mean xP

The last song DIY posted, right above the post you quoted.

#656 2012-05-28 23:05:54

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Loved that piano ballad, especially how the drum beat fits it's respective piano part so well. Normally when I picture a piano ballad I picture something more complex and virtuosic, but the simplicity of the rhythm here gives it a pretty strong, solid sound.  smile

You're right. I really like the song in that sense. It will suit a strong voice, but I presume you have a bass voice? I too have a similar range although it is not too weak. If at all, we'll go for a bass voice I'd say.

#657 2012-05-28 23:12:48

DIY
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

Hmm... The cello can't be played by one of us band members unless we get a stand-in musician. That does give the rhythm of the song more than the guitar to me, so if it means we'll have to ditch the cello part, it's not going to sound too great. We'll have to work something out I guess.

#658 2012-05-28 23:22:22

DIY
Scratcher

Guys, my IGCSEs are ending this Thursday which means my whole form won't be going back to school for the rest of this term. That means I get a three month summer vacation!

This will indeed be of great value to me and the band as I will have a lot of time to post my song ideas (they just keep pouring in). During this three month break I hope we can get as many songs recorded as possible. It would be appreciated if you all recorded the songs up on the list (that's all of mine and 'Out of the Possible' since only those are complete and are confirmed album placements). Then I'd have enough time to mix (even in times of my IGCSEs, I have recorded a lot of my parts) and we could have so many songs completed by then.

Right now, I'm very good at all my remaining exam subjects, so I suppose the holiday starts here!  big_smile

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-28 23:22:51)

#659 2012-05-28 23:47:51

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

You're right. I really like the song in that sense. It will suit a strong voice, but I presume you have a bass voice? I too have a similar range although it is not too weak. If at all, we'll go for a bass voice I'd say.

Yes, I'm a bass. I consider myself a bass-baritone, as in bass vocal range (E2-E4 approximately) with a more baritone-esque timbre (lacking low tones when singing low tones, I've found). My voice isn't what I'd consider strong though, just listen to the vocal track in Gone.  tongue  But yes, a bass voice singing in it's upper range could sure do the job.

DIY wrote:

jslomba wrote:

Hmm... The cello can't be played by one of us band members unless we get a stand-in musician. That does give the rhythm of the song more than the guitar to me, so if it means we'll have to ditch the cello part, it's not going to sound too great. We'll have to work something out I guess.

Thing is, the cello has many three tone chords which are impossible (or so hard to make they're not worth it in the end) to perform in an actual cello. I'd say replacing that cello by an electric guitar would give it a better song, and be actually viable.

#660 2012-05-29 02:58:28

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

jslomba wrote:

Thing is, the cello has many three tone chords which are impossible (or so hard to make they're not worth it in the end) to perform in an actual cello. I'd say replacing that cello by an electric guitar would give it a better song, and be actually viable.

Yeah, an electric guitar with perhaps overdrive will be a good substitute to the cello imo.

#661 2012-05-29 15:06:22

jslomba
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

Yeah, an electric guitar with perhaps overdrive will be a good substitute to the cello imo.

yeah, that would work.

the the the the the

#662 2012-05-29 22:48:12

DIY
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

yeah, that would work.

It should. Could you please start recording our songs? My songs up there all complete and techno has completed 'Out of the Possible'.

#663 2012-05-31 22:31:09

technoguyx
Scratcher

I have tomorrow Friday and this weekend free (relatively - just a pair of tests and a short exposition about Sisyphus to prepare). Anything I should do? Perhaps completing the other songs of mine, I figure just repeating choruses and verses plus a bridge somewhere should do the job. I'm pretty sure I'm also missing a song to record.

#664 2012-05-31 23:08:11

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I have tomorrow Friday and this weekend free (relatively - just a pair of tests and a short exposition about Sisyphus to prepare). Anything I should do? Perhaps completing the other songs of mine, I figure just repeating choruses and verses plus a bridge somewhere should do the job. I'm pretty sure I'm also missing a song to record.

Yeah, that'll be good. How about recording my Dm piano ballad?

btw...

EXAMS ARE OVER!!! THIS MEANS I NOW HAVE A THREE MONTH VACATION WITHOUT ATTENDING SCHOOL (exams finished early this time)!  big_smile

#665 2012-06-01 01:09:27

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

btw...

EXAMS ARE OVER!!! THIS MEANS I NOW HAVE A THREE MONTH VACATION WITHOUT ATTENDING SCHOOL (exams finished early this time)!  big_smile

Already knew that about your exams, nice to hear that. Yes, it was the piano ballad I was missing. The bass is pretty simple if I recall correctly.  smile

EDIT: I also came with an idea for a definite logo I'm currently trying to sketch out. Hint: The G-clef reminds me of an "f", and a horizontally flipped F-Clef will be a "c".

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-06-01 21:53:20)

#666 2012-06-01 22:47:33

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

btw...

Already knew that about your exams, nice to hear that. Yes, it was the piano ballad I was missing. The bass is pretty simple if I recall correctly.  smile

EDIT: I also came with an idea for a definite logo I'm currently trying to sketch out. Hint: The G-clef reminds me of an "f", and a horizontally flipped F-Clef will be a "c".

Definite logo for the band?

The logo may be cool that way, I dunno. I'll wait till the finished result is done to comment.

The bass is indeed simple for that song.  smile  By when do you reckon you can record?

@ jslomba & hpotter134: I really need you to get started with recording our other songs because techno and I have progressed a lot already. We have to mix soon if we want this large album done by the end of this year.

#667 2012-06-01 23:01:19

technoguyx
Scratcher

Here's a quick sketch I just did of the possible logo. Should look much better drawn on a computer, but I'm horrible with art programs. But you get the idea.  tongue

I should have the ballad done this weekend. Tomorrow I have stuff to do and I kinda forgot to do it today >.>

#668 2012-06-01 23:10:36

jji7skyline
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Techno, I finished yet another song of mine. It is a true piano ballad with immense variations (it is also rather long due to these variations, though the whole sequence repeats only twice, with slight differences). Characteristic to a lot of piano ballads, this has no rhythm guitar. I initially added a lead guitar part to it (which would play fills throughout the song), but it messed up the overall Noteflight score, so I'm leaving that to when we actually get down to recording. I would think this is one of my strongest songs (probably after the 'masterpiece'), so I'd prefer if this is prioritised when recording, over my other songs. Please band members, get to recording soon (techno excluded as I know you and I have started recording many of our songs already) and submit them as soon as possible.

Nice one, I would recommend less repeats though  tongue

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#669 2012-06-02 03:13:27

DIY
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

DIY wrote:

Nice one, I would recommend less repeats though  tongue

The song only repeats two times ever although it's long, and that's a very varied sequence. It is can't possibly be repetitive?  tongue

You should listen to my best song (the fifth song linked on the first post). We have so many songs coming up and I'm sure you'll like them!

technoguyx wrote:

Here's a quick sketch I just did of the possible logo. Should look much better drawn on a computer, but I'm horrible with art programs. But you get the idea.  tongue

I should have the ballad done this weekend. Tomorrow I have stuff to do and I kinda forgot to do it today >.>

The sketch is good, but I'd stick to the current one. Unless it becomes old, we'll leave it as it is.

Hope to hear the ballad recorded soon!  smile

#670 2012-06-03 00:04:49

hpotter134
Scratcher

I went on a recording spree and got four tracks down (see my soundcloud) ...more coming soon.

I also figured I'd give songwriting a shot...I'm completely new to it though...but it would be great if I could get some advice/criticism from you, techno  smile  Here's my work in progress.

I like the logo idea, we could definitely work with that.

DIY, can you post the tracks you record, like you did for Lazy Sunday Jam, so we can listen to what you've got before you mix it together? That way we all see everything.  big_smile

http://i45.tinypic.com/fxgtvc.png

#671 2012-06-03 00:59:13

technoguyx
Scratcher

My "smooth" song isn't even near completion yet, I don't think a recording of it was necessary.  hmm  I still thank you for your effort.

As for your song, that's pretty good for your first songwriting attempt. The style is very different from the rest of our songs, it's almost a jazz fusion piece. I imagine these vocal harmonies will take a bit of organization to sing, but I'm sure we can work that out. Perhaps extend the song a bit and include it in the album?

#672 2012-06-03 04:22:55

DIY
Scratcher

hpotter134 wrote:

I went on a recording spree and got four tracks down (see my soundcloud) ...more coming soon.

I also figured I'd give songwriting a shot...I'm completely new to it though...but it would be great if I could get some advice/criticism from you, techno  smile  Here's my work in progress.

I like the logo idea, we could definitely work with that.

DIY, can you post the tracks you record, like you did for Lazy Sunday Jam, so we can listen to what you've got before you mix it together? That way we all see everything.  big_smile

All right. I'll upload my tracks if it helps.  tongue

Glad to see you posting after a while. I agree with Techno. Your song is pretty good for a first attempt.  big_smile

#673 2012-06-04 00:01:05

technoguyx
Scratcher

The bass track to the piano ballad should be on SoundCloud, as a private track.

#674 2012-06-04 00:04:37

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

The bass track to the piano ballad should be on SoundCloud, as a private track.

Alright, I'll check it out.  smile

jslomba doesn't seem to be answering this post at all.  hmm

#675 2012-06-04 09:31:52

hpotter134
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

My "smooth" song isn't even near completion yet, I don't think a recording of it was necessary.  hmm  I still thank you for your effort.

Oh...oops...no wonder it ended kinda suddenly  tongue
I was kinda going down the list in the first post  smile

Which songs are done and ready to record?

http://i45.tinypic.com/fxgtvc.png

Board footer