This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#626 2012-05-22 09:37:56

DIY
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

technoguyx wrote:

Obviously a definite order can't be decided now, especially when there might be more songs to come. It was just to give us an idea of how the album might sound.

I know the theme of Out of the Possible is really vague, and that's intentional, as it's a generic sad song.  tongue  Should I pick a specific theme for it, I'd say it's about being socially awkward, feeling guilty of causing this status, and attempting to escape it, eventually giving up in doing so at the end of the song ("What's the point now? There is none. What could I do? Live alone. (...) I'll have to cower out as to not confront it.").

These IGCSEs don't look much harder than the tests I'm given here in Chile (apparently, only few private schools use the IGCSE system), though still somewhat more complete. Education in Chile stinks.

A common misconception is that the IGCSEs are easier than GCEs (another examination). It's not. It certainly is not an easy exam though many take it lightly. I'm just an efficient guy who manages work very well. IGCSEs is a common stream of exams; I'm surprised you don't seem to have heard much of it. Since I manage time well, I hardly ever feel the stress get hold of me. IGCSEs are governed by Edexcel International. It is an international body. I've not heard of the education system in Chile. Are you sitting local or international exams next year (I presume that's when you have your O/Ls)?

And since the song is generic, I can't really step in to help out. It has no clear direction for me (it sounds vague), so I'll leave that to you.

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-22 09:59:51)

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#627 2012-05-22 13:32:02

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

YAY! I got it recorded! Does it sound any better than my previous recordings? Better quality sound I mean.

http://soundcloud.com/candlii/out-of-the-possible

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#628 2012-05-22 15:16:05

jslomba
Scratcher

It's fine if you use Flashback  wink

the the the the the

#629 2012-05-22 21:07:43

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

YAY! I got it recorded! Does it sound any better than my previous recordings? Better quality sound I mean.

http://soundcloud.com/candlii/out-of-the-possible

To be honest, even with my mediocre speakers (I don't have my best ones at the moment), there is too much background noise. I listened to your previously recorded vocal tracks for Reload and there was much less noise in that.

Is there an A/C or other electrical appliance running in your room? Perhaps that's what's causing the sound.

jslomba wrote:

It's fine if you use Flashback  wink

Alright. The order hasn't been decided yet, so depending on which songs make it into the album (depending on how good they are), we may record your's soon.

#630 2012-05-22 23:05:27

technoguyx
Scratcher

That recording of Out of the Possible sounds pretty good, considering it's probably a quick take. I knew the song would suit you well  smile  But yes, the background noise is a problem. But not a really big one (for me, at least), it's just about as noisy as the tracks you recorded for Crimson Love, and I could easily remove the noise off that with a Reaper  VST plugin, as it's a more or less constant noise. And even if I can't remove it entirely, the rest of the instruments will drown the noise out.

Your voice does sound much clearer than in the Crimson Love recordings, I noticed. If you could reduce the noise (because unless you're using a high-end mic, there's bound to be noise, most likely you won't be able to fully remove it), it would be perfect. Like DIY pointed out, it may be interference from various electrical appliances. I've also read dimmer interruptors, or using unshielded cables (audio or electrical) can cause quite a bit of interference.

@DIY: All tests here in Chile are local. Save for some few private schools, no international standardized tests are applied.  hmm

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#631 2012-05-22 23:23:05

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

That recording of Out of the Possible sounds pretty good, considering it's probably a quick take. I knew the song would suit you well  smile  But yes, the background noise is a problem. But not a really big one (for me, at least), it's just about as noisy as the tracks you recorded for Crimson Love, and I could easily remove the noise off that with a Reaper  VST plugin, as it's a more or less constant noise. And even if I can't remove it entirely, the rest of the instruments will drown the noise out.

Your voice does sound much clearer than in the Crimson Love recordings, I noticed. If you could reduce the noise (because unless you're using a high-end mic, there's bound to be noise, most likely you won't be able to fully remove it), it would be perfect. Like DIY pointed out, it may be interference from various electrical appliances. I've also read dimmer interruptors, or using unshielded cables (audio or electrical) can cause quite a bit of interference.

Yeah, the interference seems to be coming from a vent, A/C or unshielded cables. Something I noticed when mixing her vocals on to the Crimson Love master tracks was that the instruments didn't cover up for the interference in her tracks (before you suggested Reaper's noise removal which you and I used later). In order to make it audible, once the gain is increased, weak points in the recording are noticed clearly (parts of the vocal track which have been removed by the noise removal process as well). This is because of the similar frequencies. Though the background disturbance is louder than before, the vocals are more or less clear, like the Reload track I told her to retake. I suppose this shouldn't be too much of a problem, although invariably the quality of your song will be affected in some way.

technoguyx wrote:

@DIY: All tests here in Chile are local. Save for some few private schools, no international standardized tests are applied.  hmm

Aw, that does stink. I've not heard much about the education system in Chile, but it does sound horrid from what you say.  neutral

#632 2012-05-23 11:42:31

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

It may have been the laptop? It was still turned on, just sitting on the desk, and it does tend to whirr a bit. I needed the laptop to see the words though, and to hear the tune. Maybe there's a way that I could get the MP3 version of the Noteflight?

At least the weird sort of popping noise is gone, and it really did sound awful! That was my main goal. To get rid of annoying popping noise.

#633 2012-05-23 21:35:15

technoguyx
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Maybe there's a way that I could get the MP3 version of the Noteflight?

You can download a .wav directly from Noteflight. If I recall, you click on File, Export and then choose "WAV audio file", or something along those lines.

Yes, I noticed there's no popping now too.  smile

Came up with a chorus for Out of the Possible at school today:

I got to get this out of me
I need to speak up for myself
I cannot bear the pain I feel
Out of the Possible

I'd only have to modify the score slightly since the last verse is intentionally out of meter (the last syllable is a held note). I'll try to take care of that now.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-23 21:35:51)

#634 2012-05-23 21:36:48

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

It may have been the laptop? It was still turned on, just sitting on the desk, and it does tend to whirr a bit. I needed the laptop to see the words though, and to hear the tune. Maybe there's a way that I could get the MP3 version of the Noteflight?

At least the weird sort of popping noise is gone, and it really did sound awful! That was my main goal. To get rid of annoying popping noise.

MP3 version meaning the track as a .wav file? There is a way, but it is the same as if you listen to it on Noteflight, so I'm not sure why you'll need it.  hmm

#635 2012-05-23 21:38:25

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

You can download a .wav directly from Noteflight. If I recall, you click on File, Export and then choose "WAV audio file", or something along those lines.

Out of the Possible

I'd only have to modify the score slightly since the last verse is intentionally out of meter (the last syllable is a held note). I'll try to take care of that now.

Woah, I posted like just after you.  tongue

Yeah, add the chorus lyrics now and that'll be complete. And that is exactly how I export it as a .wav on Noteflight.

#636 2012-05-23 21:55:14

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

There is a way, but it is the same as if you listen to it on Noteflight, so I'm not sure why you'll need it.  hmm

Playing the song eats up quite a bit of CPU. Even using the Noteflight Java applet alone slows down my computer quite a bit, causing my notebook in particular to whirr while composing or listening to a song. LolaRose likely has the same problem, and the background noise we hear is the whirring being picked up by the mic. If she listened to the song in an external MP3 player, the notebook wouldn't use as much CPU and it'd ideally whirr less.

We can call "Out of the Possible" complete and ready for recordingsmile  Which songs of yours do you need recorded, DIY? I'll try to record as many as possible this weekend.

(EDIT2: I noticed hpotter134 did a take on Out of the Possible. I didn't really like it, it's a bit out of tempo  hmm  Because of that and the changes I've recently made to it, @hpotter134: Can you record the song again?  smile  )

(EDIT: The Opening and the "masterpiece", I suppose? I'll record those two plus Out of the Possible, then.)

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-23 21:59:13)

#637 2012-05-23 23:15:16

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

There is a way, but it is the same as if you listen to it on Noteflight, so I'm not sure why you'll need it.  hmm

Playing the song eats up quite a bit of CPU. Even using the Noteflight Java applet alone slows down my computer quite a bit, causing my notebook in particular to whirr while composing or listening to a song. LolaRose likely has the same problem, and the background noise we hear is the whirring being picked up by the mic. If she listened to the song in an external MP3 player, the notebook wouldn't use as much CPU and it'd ideally whirr less.

We can call "Out of the Possible" complete and ready for recordingsmile  Which songs of yours do you need recorded, DIY? I'll try to record as many as possible this weekend.

(EDIT2: I noticed hpotter134 did a take on Out of the Possible. I didn't really like it, it's a bit out of tempo  hmm  Because of that and the changes I've recently made to it, @hpotter134: Can you record the song again?  smile  )

(EDIT: The Opening and the "masterpiece", I suppose? I'll record those two plus Out of the Possible, then.)

Yeah, record those songs of mine. All my songs up there are ready, so thanks, it'll be greatly appreciated if you can record this weekend.  smile

jslomba, you too, could you start recording?

hpotter's rhythm did seem inconsistent to me (similar with the Reload tracks which I had to spend a lot of time cutting and salvaging myself. He's great at lead of course, but if the problem persists (maybe his acoustic isn't suitable for the funk rhythm, caused usually by the strings being suspended too high), you and I are good at rhythm anyway, so it won't be an issue.

About the Noteflight thing, depending on the age of a computer, its processor and the browser being used, the computer can lag, causing it to burr when playing notation online. Is your computer a rather old one, LolaRose, with an old processor? This could cause problems. If the mic is a good one (which unfortunately isn't the case here), it shouldn't detect things like the hum of the computer, only close range depending on its positioning. Anyway, we can get the .wav file if needed, but I still wonder if that is the real cause. Unless it is an in-built laptop mic?

#638 2012-05-24 12:36:01

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of the Possible

Yeah, add the chorus lyrics now and that'll be complete. And that is exactly how I export it as a .wav on Noteflight.

Thanks guys!

I need it because my laptop whirrs, so it doesn't help my recording quality, but I need to be able to hear the music SOMEHOW and my little Walkman doesn't whirr at all, so... I'm sure you get what I mean now.  smile

AWESOME chorus BTW!

#639 2012-05-24 23:17:43

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

Thanks guys!
I need it because my laptop whirrs, so it doesn't help my recording quality, but I need to be able to hear the music SOMEHOW and my little Walkman doesn't whirr at all, so... I'm sure you get what I mean now.  smile

AWESOME chorus BTW!

Great, glad to see we helped out.  smile

By when can you upload your track for 'Out of the Possible'?

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-24 23:21:36)

#640 2012-05-25 15:02:22

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Great, glad to see we helped out.  smile

By when can you upload your track for 'Out of the Possible'?

I didn't realise that I was required to record it already, but I'll do that soon as I can.

It won't be tonight I don't think, or tomorrow because tonight there are people round for photos (AGAIN) and then tomorrow and Sunday I'll be at the caravan for a little break with my family. Monday I'll be at a choir practice, and Wednesday is piano, but I PROMISE I will try and squeeze it in somewhere. I could have done it yesterday, but I didn't know you wanted me to do it, as I knew hpotter had to try out for it.

Bottom line is, I'll do it soon, when I find time.  smile

#641 2012-05-25 15:04:01

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

Out of interest, how old are you DIY? Just curious... If you don't wanna tell me then that's okay.  smile

#642 2012-05-25 23:10:34

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of interest, how old are you DIY? Just curious... If you don't wanna tell me then that's okay.  smile

I'm 15. Same as Techno I believe. How old are you? (if you don't mind answering that)  tongue

#643 2012-05-25 23:22:42

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

I'm 15. Same as Techno I believe.

Yes, same.

I can have Out of the Possible recorded for tomorrow. I'm having a little trouble playing the Opening song, so either I play it with a different bass line, or DIY records bass for that song. The "masterpiece" shouldn't be hard, I should be able to get it done by tomorrow, or Sunday at most.

#644 2012-05-26 01:33:56

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

I'm 15. Same as Techno I believe.

Yes, same.

I can have Out of the Possible recorded for tomorrow. I'm having a little trouble playing the Opening song, so either I play it with a different bass line, or DIY records bass for that song. The "masterpiece" shouldn't be hard, I should be able to get it done by tomorrow, or Sunday at most.

OK, cool. I know, the bass line for the opening song was made rather complex and fast. I am particular about keeping that bass line as it gives the jest of the song. I will play bass in that case. Hope to hear the other recordings soon.

#645 2012-05-26 06:17:54

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

I'm 15. Same as Techno I believe. How old are you? (if you don't mind answering that)  tongue

12, but 13 in middle of Summer!  smile

#646 2012-05-26 07:38:35

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

DIY wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

12, but 13 in middle of Summer!  smile

Wow, I must say you sound much mature than that, and that is a compliment!  smile

#647 2012-05-26 19:54:20

technoguyx
Scratcher

I swore you were around 14 after hearing your voice. That's a compliment in the same way DIY's comment above is.  tongue

I'm uploading the bass to the untitled song in A minor (AKA the "masterpiece") now. I seriously didn't expect the song to be 7 minutes long. ._. I recorded the bass for Out of the Possible too, and I'll upload it as well. I just want to ask you, DIY, to upload the tracks in progress (as private tracks) a couple times before we release the album to the public, so any things wrong with the tracks (like the bass being inaudible, which caused pretty big problems a while ago) may be pointed out by us. No need to rush this album like we did with Crimson Love.  wink

I think the bass will be pretty audible this time, though - in Crimson Love the tracks weren't passed through amplification (virtual or real), which I think led to the tracks having pretty unstable dynamics and a far from full sound.  hmm  This time I'm passing all the tracks through 3rd Bass (my bass amp VST of preference).

#648 2012-05-26 22:25:07

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I swore you were around 14 after hearing your voice. That's a compliment in the same way DIY's comment above is.  tongue

I'm uploading the bass to the untitled song in A minor (AKA the "masterpiece") now. I seriously didn't expect the song to be 7 minutes long. ._. I recorded the bass for Out of the Possible too, and I'll upload it as well. I just want to ask you, DIY, to upload the tracks in progress (as private tracks) a couple times before we release the album to the public, so any things wrong with the tracks (like the bass being inaudible, which caused pretty big problems a while ago) may be pointed out by us. No need to rush this album like we did with Crimson Love.  wink

I think the bass will be pretty audible this time, though - in Crimson Love the tracks weren't passed through amplification (virtual or real), which I think led to the tracks having pretty unstable dynamics and a far from full sound.  hmm  This time I'm passing all the tracks through 3rd Bass (my bass amp VST of preference).

Good. I agree, that'll make it quite audible. Thanks for uploading the bass tracks. I'll check them out when I have the time.

Meanwhile, I'll tell jslomba to record the drum tracks. Just out of interest, has hpotter uploaded his redone takes of "Out of the Possible" guitar tracks. If not, you could contact him through SoundCloud like you suggested since he seems to always post here when I do so.

The 7 minutes will be a fade out, or I might cut it short abruptly, so it shouldn't be nearly as long.  wink

#649 2012-05-27 07:31:10

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

So now I'm a 12 year old who sounds like a 14 year old, is the height of the average 16 year old and is as crazy as a 5 year old! Whoop!  big_smile

#650 2012-05-27 12:31:51

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

So now I'm a 12 year old who sounds like a 14 year old, is the height of the average 16 year old and is as crazy as a 5 year old! Whoop!  big_smile

LOLZ!  lol

Board footer