This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#601 2012-05-20 22:11:22

DIY
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

technoguyx wrote:

Yeah, I actually think the solo might be too much of a bother. Since the chorus progression repeats twice right now, the first could be the actual chorus, and the second a fading out instrumental chorus.

I think my two song ideas are finally complete enough to post, though far away from actual completion.

The first one is meant to be a smooth, yet flowing, and fast-paced song, with many 7th chords.  tongue  Originally written for one of my many failed irl bands, I intended to sing it but I never wrote any lyrics to it, but I think the song would fit a baritone voice rather than a bass. I think a clean electric guitar would fit the song better than an acoustic.

The second one is a pretty catchy, even funky song with an emotional, arpeggiated acoustic guitar intro, I loved how the "catchy" part of it turned out, but I find the transition between the intro and the rest of the song needs work, currently it's a rather sudden tempo and instrumentation change. The lead guitar sounds much better on an actual electric guitar, as usual.

Great! I'll be sure to check those out.

I finished my song I posted yesterday in the meantime. Here it is. I changed the ending to a fade on a variation of chords with a guitar solo.

About 'Out of the Possible', the idea sounds good instead of a solo. That should work out.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#602 2012-05-20 22:13:25

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, again, could you change permissions on those scores so I can view them?  hmm

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-20 22:47:59)

#603 2012-05-20 22:13:53

hpotter134
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

hdarken wrote:

One of the people who was in the band told the audience about it and they shared one of the projects to everyone there.

Oh, cool :3 I think I know who it is, considering he "was" in the band and mentioned being at MIT Scratch Day in the forums. Big thanks to him.  smile

Oh, that's cool  smile  Who was it?

Sorry I haven't recorded yet...I've been mulling over the song in my head a lot...and I can't seem to think of a good solo idea. Do you want it bluesy, or kind of light, or what?

I'm talking about DIY's song. What's confusing me is that the chord progression is really major ( I, IV, V ), but the melody is in a minor (because of the C natural)...so, normally I'd go straight to blues improv, but it's not really a bluesy song...

Any tips?

http://i45.tinypic.com/fxgtvc.png

#604 2012-05-20 22:21:41

technoguyx
Scratcher

Oh stupid me, I always forget the permissions. Done, should be visible to everyone now.

DIY wrote:

I finished my song I posted yesterday in the meantime. Here it is. I changed the ending to a fade on a variation of chords with a guitar solo.

That'll be one long guitar solo, it seems.  tongue

EDIT: hpotter134, considering only the Chorus has the A Minor melody, while the verses are entirely in A Major, I'd improvise something cheery in the latter scale.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-20 22:24:51)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#605 2012-05-20 22:33:45

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Oh stupid me, I always forget the permissions. Done, should be visible to everyone now.

DIY wrote:

That'll be one long guitar solo, it seems.  tongue

Yup, it will be!  tongue  I could help out there to throw in some ideas.

We could have solos by you, me and hpotter.

hpotter134 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

hdarken wrote:

One of the people who was in the band told the audience about it and they shared one of the projects to everyone there.

Oh, cool :3 I think I know who it is, considering he "was" in the band and mentioned being at MIT Scratch Day in the forums. Big thanks to him.  smile

Sorry I haven't recorded yet...I've been mulling over the song in my head a lot...and I can't seem to think of a good solo idea. Do you want it bluesy, or kind of light, or what?

I'm talking about DIY's song. What's confusing me is that the chord progression is really major ( I, IV, V ), but the melody is in a minor (because of the C natural)...so, normally I'd go straight to blues improv, but it's not really a bluesy song...

Any tips?

I'd go with what techno said. The song is made bluesy by the light chord progression. The song really isn't A minor, it's A major, but I do understand the melody confusion. Could you come up with a good bluesy solo by this weekend? Thanks.

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-20 22:34:16)

#606 2012-05-20 22:47:13

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, I listened to your song ideas and the first one indeed has a lot of bass, thus it would suit a baritone voice. Does anyone in the band have a rich baritone voice? Mine's is more bass-ish and the depth needed in the song won't suit me.

The second one is a nice ballad. The guitar intro doesn't lead that nicely in to the verse as you said, but I'm sure we can work something out. Distortion lead guitar will go well when it is actually played I suppose. The song, once complete will have a nice kick to it.

It's great that these ideas from you and I are pouring in. We definitely can have a second full-length album complete in no time. After completion (I've already completed three songs), the songs we composed can be recorded. I would urge you all to record the respective parts for my songs. I will update the first post with our new ideas soon, so we can keep track of all the songs in progress.

#607 2012-05-20 23:10:19

hpotter134
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Could you come up with a good bluesy solo by this weekend? Thanks.

Ok, I grabbed my brother's guitar and jammed something out. What do you think?

#608 2012-05-21 00:05:20

hdarken
Scratcher

hpotter134 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

hdarken wrote:

Any tips?

It was Lellowsfuzz.

http://i.imgur.com/VskBk.png
http://i.imgur.com/tgxVZ.jpg

#609 2012-05-21 06:23:13

TeadsTetRam
New Scratcher

I am assured, what is it already was discussed, use search in a forum.

#610 2012-05-21 06:46:59

DIY
Scratcher

hpotter134 wrote:

DIY wrote:

The link you sent is wrong.  hmm

Anyway, I tracked down the actual recording on SoundCloud myself. It is OK it seems. Not quite what I was expecting but I will mix it and see whether it suits the song.

TeadsTetRam wrote:

What do you mean?? Please stop spamming.

#611 2012-05-21 07:08:52

TeadsTetRam
New Scratcher

Yes, really. So happens. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.

#612 2012-05-21 08:32:46

DIY
Scratcher

TeadsTetRam wrote:

Quit the spam. You're not making any sense.

#613 2012-05-21 10:25:57

veggieman001
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

TeadsTetRam wrote:

It's a spambot, it's not going to listen to you :L

#614 2012-05-21 11:54:31

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

BREAKING NEWS!

Guys, I think I MAY have found a way to get better sound quality! It will take me a LITTLE bit more time to get it all sorted, but it should come out better?
I'll try a sample and I'll sing a bit of Out of the Possible, recording it the old way and this new trial way. Then you guys can see which is better? Might take me a little while to do this though, as I have a HUGE exam every day this week, and then THREE per DAY every day next week!

I probably should be revising right now actually, but meh, I'll do okay anyway. I tend to have a pretty good memory.  tongue

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#615 2012-05-21 12:57:59

technoguyx
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

BREAKING NEWS!

Guys, I think I MAY have found a way to get better sound quality! It will take me a LITTLE bit more time to get it all sorted, but it should come out better?
I'll try a sample and I'll sing a bit of Out of the Possible, recording it the old way and this new trial way. Then you guys can see which is better? Might take me a little while to do this though, as I have a HUGE exam every day this week, and then THREE per DAY every day next week!

I probably should be revising right now actually, but meh, I'll do okay anyway. I tend to have a pretty good memory.  tongue

Sounds good, can't wait to listen to this solution you possibly figured out. Seems like we're all loaded with exams this time of the year.  tongue

And since you intend to record the song soon, I really think we should figure out some lyrics for the chorus. Here's what I had so far:

I got to get this out of me
I got to leave this living hell
I'm gonna speak up, spread out my word
Breaking this silence of biblical proportions

That, to me, sounds pretty forced and generic.  hmm  The chorus should be 4 verses of (more or less) the same meter as the first two ones. I was considering going with "I got to leave this living hell" as a definite line, but I've gotten warned for using the word before here.  tongue

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-21 12:58:11)

#616 2012-05-21 15:22:30

jslomba
Scratcher

Hey DIY, can you please put links to all of the song ideas for our next album on the first post?

the the the the the

#617 2012-05-21 16:12:56

ImagineIt
Scratcher

hpotter134 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

hdarken wrote:

Any tips?

It was Lellowsfuzz. No singer? Can I be one?

Last edited by ImagineIt (2012-05-21 16:19:14)

#618 2012-05-21 17:16:11

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

BREAKING NEWS!

Sounds good, can't wait to listen to this solution you possibly figured out. Seems like we're all loaded with exams this time of the year.  tongue

And since you intend to record the song soon, I really think we should figure out some lyrics for the chorus. Here's what I had so far:

That, to me, sounds pretty forced and generic.  hmm  The chorus should be 4 verses of (more or less) the same meter as the first two ones. I was considering going with "I got to leave this living hell" as a definite line, but I've gotten warned for using the word before here.  tongue

I agree. Stupid exams. French tomorrow... Ugh...

Well I like the "got to get this outta me" part, cause its cool  tongue  I dunno why I like it, but there we go. I do think hell is a bit of a risky word, as it is quite a 'strong word, if you get my drift.

And excuse any mistakes in this, but my tablet decided to hate me today.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#619 2012-05-21 19:04:13

technoguyx
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

No singer? Can I be one?

We do have one: LolaRose1892. Apparently the first post still doesn't show her as the vocalist.

#620 2012-05-21 19:08:15

jslomba
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

Hey DIY, can you please put links to all of the song ideas for our next album on the first post?

the the the the the

#621 2012-05-21 20:39:45

technoguyx
Scratcher

Our song ideas, in an order that sounds good to me at least:

-Untitled, Opening (DIY)
-Untitled "funky" song (DIY)
-Untitled "smooth while not slow" song (technoguyx)
-"Out of the Possible" (technoguyx)
-Untitled, "masterpiece" (DIY) (I'd put it as the final or 2nd final song, but DIY wants it in the middle of the album.)
-Untitled "at first sad, catchy later" (technoguyx)
-"Flashback" (jslomba) (not sure if you approve of this yet, jslomba, but I feel like this song is worthy of being in this album)

That's 7 songs complete or near-complete songs. Woah, that was fast. ._. We can release a full-length album with these in Winter if we feel like it  smile

Notice that the album (in my mind) is pretty cheery at first, then changes to a sad mood (marked by the "smooth while not slow" song as transition) and then back to cheery again (marked by "first sad, catchy later"). This is obviously not a final order, I encourage you all to propose any changes to it.

Maybe we could put the "smooth while not slow" song, it doesn't sound like something to put early in the album. Maybe as album ending?

The "album opening" song also bothers me a bit, I don't really like it. A bit too plain and repetitive, it also ends a bit abruptly. Maybe it's the lack of lyrics, but I feel the album could still sound good starting straight with what is the second song in this list, the "funky" song in A.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-21 20:45:16)

#622 2012-05-21 20:42:07

hpotter134
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

hpotter134 wrote:

DIY wrote:

The link you sent is wrong.  hmm

Anyway, I tracked down the actual recording on SoundCloud myself. It is OK it seems. Not quite what I was expecting but I will mix it and see whether it suits the song.

TeadsTetRam wrote:

What do you mean?? Please stop spamming.

Ah...sorry about that.  This should work

#623 2012-05-22 00:14:50

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

TeadsTetRam wrote:

It's a spambot, it's not going to listen to you :L

Now what did I tell you about not posting here...? He/she hasn't posted since.

LolaRose1892 wrote:

BREAKING NEWS!

Oh, come on, I have my IGCSEs in progress (I have papers every day this week and the next, including one this afternoon) and I have recorded the parts for my complete songs. You all know that is the equivalent of O/Ls in UK, right?

Just kidding!  tongue  Yet with all my IGCSE papers, I'm managing just fine. I hope the recording quality will be good this time.

hpotter 134 will also have a go at it I suppose since techno and I have not yet decided on whom it will suit better.

Anyway, bonne chance pour votre examen de français!

[Yes, I do speak French!]

technoguyx wrote:

Hmm... yeah that could cause problems. It does sound a bit forceful like you said. I had a go at the lyrics myself, but since the meaning is vague, I couldn't make them fit a theme. Do you have a specific theme to the song?

jslomba wrote:

Alright, alright. You know I can't update the post with like seven songs overnight when I'm asleep. I did say I will do it today in one of my previous posts.  tongue

Thanks techno for adding the links for me!  big_smile

technoguyx wrote:

Our song ideas, in an order that sounds good to me at least:

-Untitled, Opening (DIY)
-Untitled "funky" song (DIY)
-Untitled "smooth while not slow" song (technoguyx)
-"Out of the Possible" (technoguyx)
-Untitled, "masterpiece" (DIY) (I'd put it as the final or 2nd final song, but DIY wants it in the middle of the album.)
-Untitled "at first sad, catchy later" (technoguyx)
-"Flashback" (jslomba) (not sure if you approve of this yet, jslomba, but I feel like this song is worthy of being in this album)

That's 7 songs complete or near-complete songs. Woah, that was fast. ._. We can release a full-length album with these in Winter if we feel like it  smile

Notice that the album (in my mind) is pretty cheery at first, then changes to a sad mood (marked by the "smooth while not slow" song as transition) and then back to cheery again (marked by "first sad, catchy later"). This is obviously not a final order, I encourage you all to propose any changes to it.

Maybe we could put the "smooth while not slow" song, it doesn't sound like something to put early in the album. Maybe as album ending?

The "album opening" song also bothers me a bit, I don't really like it. A bit too plain and repetitive, it also ends a bit abruptly. Maybe it's the lack of lyrics, but I feel the album could still sound good starting straight with what is the second song in this list, the "funky" song in A.

Well, you see, the opening song is missing lyrics and the song 'ends abruptly' because of the minim. The end cannot be sustained unless I add an extra note with four more counts on Noteflight. Once the song is recorded, the instruments will be sustained at the end, so it won't end abruptly as on Noteflight. I still think it's best as the album opener since it has the opening drum solo, which with a little variation will be perfect to start off. It is very fast, less than two minutes, so it isn't all that repetitive. Songs are always better when recorded than the MIDI version, so this is no exception. It sounds great in my head.

We really can't decide upon an order now itself for the album. Once I share my other songs, and if you have some, we can then have the scores ready for all songs and decide which songs go best where.

It is strategic of a band or artist to usually put a good, lively song to start off (setting the stage for the rest to come), the best song(s) in the middle (in this case, my song on Am and maybe 'Out of the Possible', if you're OK with the position) and again a great closing song at the end. For an EP, the scenario is quite different. Since it is a short set of songs, bands traditionally tend to put their best song last, a great opener, and a gradual build-up towards the end. That is why I decided to put Reload at the end (seeing it was the most polished, with great guitar work by hpotter). This usually tends to be the approach of bands and the order of songs is very important as it can make the difference between gatting the listeners hooked or not.

We should definitely set the bar of release to winter because during holiday season, there will be much more people with time to check out our songs. It is a strategic release date. With seven songs (and several more of my songs coming up) this should be easy to complete by then.

hpotter134 wrote:

Ah...sorry about that.  This should work

No worries, I located it already.  smile

By the way, do you think it is possible to change your sig to the Crimson Love one? The WIBY one is quite outdated now.

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-22 00:15:48)

#624 2012-05-22 00:27:53

DIY
Scratcher

STATUS UPDATE: *Updated the first post now*

Band members, be sure to check all the songs out and familiarise yourselves before you start recording. Recordings submitted soon will be greatly appreciated.

All my songs listed up there are ready for recording, but technoguyx has so far completed only 'Out of the Possible'. jslomba's 'Flashback' is still pending approval to be included in the album.

#625 2012-05-22 09:18:56

technoguyx
Scratcher

Obviously a definite order can't be decided now, especially when there might be more songs to come. It was just to give us an idea of how the album might sound.

I know the theme of Out of the Possible is really vague, and that's intentional, as it's a generic sad song.  tongue  Should I pick a specific theme for it, I'd say it's about being socially awkward, feeling guilty of causing this status, and attempting to escape it, eventually giving up in doing so at the end of the song ("What's the point now? There is none. What could I do? Live alone. (...) I'll have to cower out as to not confront it.").

These IGCSEs don't look much harder than the tests I'm given here in Chile (apparently, only few private schools use the IGCSE system), though still somewhat more complete. Education in Chile stinks.

Board footer