This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#551 2012-05-12 13:37:36

veggieman001
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

But you see that's one of my main issues with the recordings; the drums always sound super compressed and tinny.

#552 2012-05-12 21:48:58

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

But you see that's one of my main issues with the recordings; the drums always sound super compressed and tinny.

I do agree they sound "tinny" but asking jslomba to re-record the tracks won't help unless he can get hold of another drum kit. The compression may be due to his mic but I think I can do a thing or two to get rid of that. Also, I may try LMMS's various plug-ins to remove the clanky metal sound of the drums. I can assure you that the finished result will be good.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#553 2012-05-12 22:17:56

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Yeah, I too was thinking of going for a full album. Looks like great minds think alike!  big_smile

IMO, if we start work on the songs for the album straightaway, it should not drag on till early 2013. I hope we can get it done by before the end of this year.

I personally have a lot of songs (20+ ideas) which I will upload on Noteflight very soon after my GCSEs are over in less than 20 days.  tongue 

If you can contribute some more yourself, we can have around the 8-12 song range and later maybe even move onto double albums. I'm flooding with ideas right now...

Andres-Vander wrote:

Who are the members of frozen coco? In the card game, the non-event/equipment cards can combine together into a stronger monster so maybe I can use that as an idea

Er... Frozen Coco is a band...

If you want a list of the members, you can check the first post of this thread.

Andres-Vander is making a Scratch-based card game, and probably will include the band as it's members as cards. I guess he forgot to explain that  tongue

Double albums might be a bit too much (a single full one is more than enough imo), but I'm sure with your lots of ideas and some of mine we could make a pretty good full album.

I've had some ideas I planned for a solo release of mine, but I'm pretty sure I could write down some chill, maybe even jazzy ones for the band. I'll try to start with one now.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-12 22:19:27)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#554 2012-05-12 22:44:38

veggieman001
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

I do agree they sound "tinny" but asking jslomba to re-record the tracks won't help unless he can get hold of another drum kit. The compression may be due to his mic but I think I can do a thing or two to get rid of that. Also, I may try LMMS's various plug-ins to remove the clanky metal sound of the drums. I can assure you that the finished result will be good.

It's definitely not the drum kit, they couldn't really sound like that. And alright, you can try.

#555 2012-05-12 23:21:20

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

It's definitely not the drum kit, they couldn't really sound like that. And alright, you can try.

It could be. I have a neighbour who has a horrid drum kit which clanks all the time. When I had a go with it, it sounded totally bad, even without capturing the sound on a recording. I'm not saying it is, but it could be. It is unlikely that it is a cause of the mic since there are no other signs of bad quality, e.g. background noise sounds like an annoying burr that drowns the recording. There's none of that.

Any instrument could be unpleasant if it is not synchronised well...

By passing the tinny track through a couple of amp sims and EFX plug-ins on LMMS, this really shouldn't be a problem. So I will take care of all that, no worries. Thanks.

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-12 23:22:48)

#556 2012-05-12 23:26:22

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

Yeah, I too was thinking of going for a full album. Looks like great minds think alike!  big_smile

IMO, if we start work on the songs for the album straightaway, it should not drag on till early 2013. I hope we can get it done by before the end of this year.

I personally have a lot of songs (20+ ideas) which I will upload on Noteflight very soon after my GCSEs are over in less than 20 days.  tongue 

If you can contribute some more yourself, we can have around the 8-12 song range and later maybe even move onto double albums. I'm flooding with ideas right now...

Andres-Vander wrote:

Who are the members of frozen coco? In the card game, the non-event/equipment cards can combine together into a stronger monster so maybe I can use that as an idea

Er... Frozen Coco is a band...

If you want a list of the members, you can check the first post of this thread.

Andres-Vander is making a Scratch-based card game, and probably will include the band as it's members as cards. I guess he forgot to explain that  tongue

Double albums might be a bit too much (a single full one is more than enough imo), but I'm sure with your lots of ideas and some of mine we could make a pretty good full album.

I've had some ideas I planned for a solo release of mine, but I'm pretty sure I could write down some chill, maybe even jazzy ones for the band. I'll try to start with one now.

Sounds great. For my solo online career, I'm kicking off with covers, but if I feel there is a song that I prefer playing all instruments for, I may use those for my solo work.

The third album could be a double. I'm not talking of the second here. I just have so many ideas, and if we mix the songs in as little a time as I did for Crimson Love, I'm sure it won't be a long wait.

I have already transcribed two new songs of mine on Noteflight which I will be showing you soon.

#557 2012-05-12 23:31:35

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Sounds great. For my solo online career, I'm kicking off with covers, but if I feel there is a song that I prefer playing all instruments for, I may use those for my solo work.

The third album could be a double. I'm not talking of the second here. I just have so many ideas, and if we mix the songs in as little a time as I did for Crimson Love, I'm sure it won't be a long wait.

I have already transcribed two new songs of mine on Noteflight which I will be showing you soon.

What I meant is that a double album, be it now or years later, is not really necessary. Too much of a wait - I'd rather keep releases constant.

#558 2012-05-13 02:17:07

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

What I meant is that a double album, be it now or years later, is not really necessary. Too much of a wait - I'd rather keep releases constant.

Singles can do that.  tongue

People would like to listen to singles released in quick intervals and then await a great surprise. Double albums won't be much of an issue in that case.

#559 2012-05-13 09:23:12

veggieman001
Scratcher

But is there any specific reason you guys need to make a double (unless you're going to be doing a concept album or rock opera (which would be cool for sure))?

#560 2012-05-13 11:02:36

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

But is there any specific reason you guys need to make a double (unless you're going to be doing a concept album or rock opera (which would be cool for sure))?

Yeah. Why can't we? A double album doesn't have to be a concept one or rock opera. Take the 'White Album' (unofficially named so)by "The Beatles" for instance; it was neither concept (like their previous album 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band') nor rock opera. I really don't see the point.

I'd prefer if you'd leave all these discussions to the band unless highly necessary.

Thanks.

#561 2012-05-13 15:14:55

technoguyx
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

There's no point to it, exactly what I mean. Though I do agree that a concept album would be good.

And there's not much point either in discussing this now, if you ask me - I think we agreed on releasing a pair of singles plus a full-length album later.  tongue  Whether we release a double album in the future or not is something we should discuss after that, if the band is still popular and going strong.

#562 2012-05-13 15:23:06

veggieman001
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Yeah. Why can't we? A double album doesn't have to be a concept one or rock opera. Take the 'White Album' (unofficially named so)by "The Beatles" for instance; it was neither concept (like their previous album 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band') nor rock opera. I really don't see the point.

Yeah but I said there's no reason. There was no reason for the White Album.

#563 2012-05-13 21:46:31

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Yeah but I said there's no reason. There was no reason for the White Album.

Er... No - you don't seem to know much about the background of The Beatles... The White Allbum was made in contrast to Sgt. Pepper. It was meant to oppose the style of its predecesor. It deliberately contained songs of extremely different styles from hard rock to acoustic ballads, etc. Sgt. Pepper's popularly rated the best album ever in the world even today and The White Album runs a close favourite of many due to its various styles. There was a reason for The White Album, and a good one indeed. This is not called concept. Concept albums are like Sgt. Pepper where the band mimicked another imaginary band, or comes up with a hidden story within the songs of an album.

True techno, we agreed on that, but there is no reason why for later albums we can't do so. Especially with many my song ideas (which you'll soon see, techno), a double album won't be a bad idea. If I managed to mix Crimson Love really fast with a heavy work load plus exams, many songs could be mixed in a matter of moths really. This is an idea not to be neglected but considered. Remember, it's a suggestion that isn't certain, but it's not definite that we aren't going with that either, especially from what I've stated.

#564 2012-05-14 06:55:08

locker99
Scratcher

Yeeeeessssssssshhhhhhh!

Crimson Love is finally out! Why didn't you guys tell me so? I've been anxiously awaiting its release!

I quite like it, but some issues are there with the instruments like the drums in Gone sound awkward and piano tends to overpower other intruments. Bass had its highs and lows in Gone (I'm not sure whether you intended to play it like that DIY), but I liked the bass on Reload. The vocals on My Voice to You were messed up. Maybe find a new singer? I'm proud I played violin for Gone for such a popular and historic band! The other songs are nice, well done!

I love your songs two new songs, techno and DIY. What are we doing next? Can't wait to get started!

The locker99 Scratch Awards... Be prepared!
http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/locker99/1145702_sm.png

#565 2012-05-14 21:45:46

DIY
Scratcher

locker99 wrote:

Yeeeeessssssssshhhhhhh!

Crimson Love is finally out! Why didn't you guys tell me so? I've been anxiously awaiting its release!

I quite like it, but some issues are there with the instruments like the drums in Gone sound awkward and piano tends to overpower other intruments. Bass had its highs and lows in Gone (I'm not sure whether you intended to play it like that DIY), but I liked the bass on Reload. The vocals on My Voice to You were messed up. Maybe find a new singer? I'm proud I played violin for Gone for such a popular and historic band! The other songs are nice, well done!

I love your songs two new songs, techno and DIY. What are we doing next? Can't wait to get started!

Dude, you were never in the band. You are just a stand-in violinist. We really don't need a violinist for any of the two songs we are doing right now, so we'll tell you if we need you.

#566 2012-05-15 23:57:12

DIY
Scratcher

techno, jsl and hpotter, I came up with another song that we could include in our second album (a full-length album). It does not have any lyrics yet, and thus no final title, but I have temporarily noted on the current one that it is the second album's opening song. I thought this would be a perfect album opener since it is very pacey (yes, another fast song of mine), clocking in at just around 1.45. I managed to complete this song so fast bacause it is short and simple to transcribe. My other songs that I will be sharing with you soon has taken a long time to perfect, and still I'm trying to make the finished transcribed result to sound amazing. It is impossible to put down the 20+ song ideas of mine currently on to Noteflight as many of them are rather complex pieces. Hope you enjoy this!

#567 2012-05-16 12:45:05

technoguyx
Scratcher

Like it, sounds pretty bluesy in a way. I think jslomba could improvise a little on the drum intro. Some little electric guitar blues licks near the end might sound good too.

Aaaand that reminds me I still need to finish my own song in Noteflight. Gotta work on that now. No school today due to protests, so I got time now.

EDIT: I still think jslomba's song, Flashback (posted quite a while ago), should be included in our album too. Needs a little bass and guitar, though.

EDIT2: I think we can call "Out of the Possible" (yes, definite title!) done. Well, it only needs lyrics on the chorus and someone to improvise a guitar solo for the end. Maybe hpotter134. Either an acoustic solo like the one in WIBY, or a rock-esque guitar solo would sound good, we'd have to experiment with that a little. The Noteflight sheet music for the song is here.

Really, I need help for the lyrics. I've come up with some and they are in the corkboard, but they don't follow an specific meter and sound pretty forced to me.  hmm

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-05-16 13:51:49)

#568 2012-05-16 17:52:25

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but I've been laden with exams. So what have I missed? Do you need me to do anything? I wowould read through all the past posts, but I only have like another minute until I have to log off, so that could be tricky  smile

So yeah. Anything I need to do?

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#569 2012-05-16 18:20:41

gbear605
Scratcher

I don't know if you are still accepting members, but if so, I would love to join.  I play piano.  I can post a recording of myself playing piano for you, if you like.

EDIT: Was just reading some of the thread, and noticed that someone had recently asked to join and was rejected.  I still ask that you would consider me, but if I'm not accepted, I totally understand.  I'll still post a recording of myself, either tonight, or tomorrow morning or afternoon. (I'm in EST time zone)

Last edited by gbear605 (2012-05-16 18:53:58)

Yeah, I'm mostly inactive.  I check in once in a while though.  If you want to contact me, I have a contact form at my website, http://escratch.org

#570 2012-05-16 22:12:46

technoguyx
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but I've been laden with exams. So what have I missed? Do you need me to do anything? I wowould read through all the past posts, but I only have like another minute until I have to log off, so that could be tricky  smile

Nothing specific, like recording, yet. You could check out Out of the Possible (that sad song you liked), it's pretty much finished except for the chorus, which needs lyrics.

gbear605 wrote:

I don't know if you are still accepting members, but if so, I would love to join.  I play piano.  I can post a recording of myself playing piano for you, if you like.

EDIT: Was just reading some of the thread, and noticed that someone had recently asked to join and was rejected.  I still ask that you would consider me, but if I'm not accepted, I totally understand.  I'll still post a recording of myself, either tonight, or tomorrow morning or afternoon. (I'm in EST time zone)

We don't need any new members and DIY is already covering all of our piano needs, sorry.

#571 2012-05-16 22:22:55

All4one
Scratcher

Wow, you guys are really coming out with some great songs. Sounds even better than the first album. :D

Last edited by All4one (2012-05-16 22:23:04)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#572 2012-05-16 22:29:50

technoguyx
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

Wow, you guys are really coming out with some great songs. Sounds even better than the first album.  big_smile

And will hopefully sound better on record too - the first album's songs also sounded great on Noteflight, but it's entirely different once we record our parts on our respective instruments.

#573 2012-05-16 23:28:06

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Like it, sounds pretty bluesy in a way. I think jslomba could improvise a little on the drum intro. Some little electric guitar blues licks near the end might sound good too.

Aaaand that reminds me I still need to finish my own song in Noteflight. Gotta work on that now. No school today due to protests, so I got time now.

EDIT: I still think jslomba's song, Flashback (posted quite a while ago), should be included in our album too. Needs a little bass and guitar, though.

EDIT2: I think we can call "Out of the Possible" (yes, definite title!) done. Well, it only needs lyrics on the chorus and someone to improvise a guitar solo for the end. Maybe hpotter134. Either an acoustic solo like the one in WIBY, or a rock-esque guitar solo would sound good, we'd have to experiment with that a little. The Noteflight sheet music for the song is here.

Really, I need help for the lyrics. I've come up with some and they are in the corkboard, but they don't follow an specific meter and sound pretty forced to me.  hmm

Glad you like it! I totally agree with you that it could do with some bluesy licks. The drum solo intro could do with a little variation too, but I've decided on a gradual build-up in volume. That can be done while I mix.

I will help you out with lyrics for your song if you are struggling. I'm good in that department. About the guitar solo at the end, why don't you leave the ending bass line and the chord variation as it is. It sounds fine this way in my opinion. Just a suggestion.

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Nothing specific, like recording, yet. You could check out Out of the Possible (that sad song you liked), it's pretty much finished except for the chorus, which needs lyrics.

gbear605 wrote:

We don't need any new members and DIY is already covering all of our piano needs, sorry.

I'd agree. LolaRose, since you volunteered to back down, I'd say a lot of songs could be sung by the rest of the males in the band (techno, hpotter and I; I'm not sure if jslomba sings) and since you are a great harmoniser, you take on that role wherever needed.

That way your bad recording quality won't ba criticised and will not hurt us.  smile

gbear605, sorry, but as techno said, I'm covering piano. That's my fixed role for the band (unless when techno struggles with a particular bass part, I step in to help him there).

technoguyx wrote:

All4one wrote:

Wow, you guys are really coming out with some great songs. Sounds even better than the first album.  big_smile

And will hopefully sound better on record too - the first album's songs also sounded great on Noteflight, but it's entirely different once we record our parts on our respective instruments.

Thanks All4one! You've been such a loyal fan of my HP games and now Frozen Coco!  wink

Also, I love your current sig with the quote by John Lennon: "Meanings of all songs come after they are recorded. Someone else has to interpret them." Rock on Beatles!  big_smile

Whenever I jam my new song, I think it sounds way better than on Noteflight techno, and I'm sure every song can't be transcribed in MIDI format as well as we intend the final result to be, so I'm sure the recorded version will sound much better!

#574 2012-05-17 00:45:24

veggieman001
Scratcher

I am really really really liking "Out of the Possible"

#575 2012-05-17 00:58:18

locker99
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

I am really really really liking "Out of the Possible"

Soz I don't mean to point the elephant in the room, but don't post here unless highly necessary as it is said on the first post. But I agree, I love the song too! The technoguyx/DIY partnership is taking FC to another level. XD

Technoguy, can you add a violin bit for 'Out of the possible'? I will love to play it for the song and whats more, I think it is good with strings! :)

The locker99 Scratch Awards... Be prepared!
http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/locker99/1145702_sm.png

Board footer