This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#4776 2012-05-13 09:13:12

JackZapz
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

I love games and animations, and it would be amazing to share not-famous yet amazing games and animations with the scratch community

#4777 2012-05-13 10:39:02

ILOVETHEEARTH
New Scratcher

Hi I am Holli and I would really like to be a scratch curator because I think that giving other people a chance in the spotlight would boost their creativity and perhaps encourage them to make more games and improve their abilities of game making. Scratchers should be proud of their creations and I would like it if I made some one happy and make them proud of their accomplishments. If I am not chosen, I would like to give a shout out to all the scratches out their! Great Job you guys!

#4778 2012-05-13 13:23:52

KingFanta
Scratcher

I'd like to be a curator  big_smile

I know many people that deserve fame & curation because of their epicsauce projects, but they don't get it  yikes  Some of them are LockedOn : scratch.mit.edu/users/LockedOn, and NeonTyphlosionJr. : scratch.mit.edu/users/NeonTyphlosionJr

I will be a great curator, PLEASE let me be one.

Contact me by commenting on my latest project, I don't really use the forums that much  tongue

Last edited by KingFanta (2012-05-13 13:42:00)

I am KingFanta, King of the Fanta Kingdom, BOW DOWN TO ME  lol 
The Power of Fanta Compellz you!  cool  Check out my animations  tongue  http://scratch.mit.edu/users/KingFanta/

#4779 2012-05-13 17:23:31

Becabooz
Scratcher

I'd love to be a Curator, but my old account was hacked so im stuck with a new scratcher level  sad 
though i don't care!  big_smile 

[ scratchblocks]
when gf clicked
think [Woot] for 3 secs
[/scrarchblocks]

sorry i wanted to try tht to see if it worked on my ipad

#4780 2012-05-14 11:33:15

Benjbob
Scratcher

I would like to become a curater because I would choose projects that are fun, inventive and with a real twist. I am also an experienced scratcher. The projects that I would choose would be from people who are not yet noticed in the scratcher community and are good scratchers but are not given credit for their excellent work! All of the projects that I choose will be appropiate for all ages, so no blood or gore! Benjbob

#4781 2012-05-14 19:20:45

Pikapika12
New Scratcher

Benjbob wrote:

I would like to become a curater because I would choose projects that are fun, inventive and with a real twist. I am also an experienced scratcher. The projects that I would choose would be from people who are not yet noticed in the scratcher community and are good scratchers but are not given credit for their excellent work! All of the projects that I choose will be appropiate for all ages, so no blood or gore! Benjbob

Good  idea, but you can't be one until you're a Scratcher on the forums. Bye! ✌

#4782 2012-05-14 19:50:03

Egolay
Scratcher

Becoming a curator would be an honor. Choosing projects by users that really want to be famous, would be good for them. I would mostly choose projects that don't have a lot of views or comments, but they would still be good. For example, I would choose a project like this: Project

The types of projects I would choose would be games with a good plot, or good game play. I would also choose cool simulations. I would be helpful to people, encouraging them to do better on there projects so that they could be curated sometime. I would also choose projects with no bad material in it.

Why should you choose me? Well, I am a good scratcher that makes good projects. I have never been banned before. I have been on scratch for over a year(I recentlyy deleted all my projects). Please consider doing this. It would be a true honor to help the scratch community!

Your fellow scratcher,
Egolay

Last edited by Egolay (2012-06-05 18:15:59)

Join AOA!

#4783 2012-05-15 06:38:56

poemon1
Scratcher

Hello.  My name's poemon1. I think I would be a good curator because I never got banned, I am a good project finder. and I am a 'grammar-freak,' if that counts?
I'm 13 years old of may 12th. Here's some reasons to pick me:

1. I LOVE Scratch.
2. I've been Scratching for about... From 2006; I lost my password and username for the first account, and I forgot my e-mail.
3. I'm very intelligent. If you don't believe me, I built a record player, and bought some records.
4. I'm not serious all the time, I'm a humored person, and I laugh at most things, I am funny, I'm cool with people, and don't seem to get angry a lot on Scratch.
I get anger issues at home, but I'll never start a fight on Scratch.
5. I'm kind, nice, and I even do music requests sometimes. (In my band, the members get 10 free mp3 files).
6. I already mentioned this, but I love Scratch.
7. I'm in a few clubs, and collaborations (outside of Scratch).
8. I will pick good projects that I think are nice. Like those with a lot (or a good amount) of media.

and, I am a good project visualizer.
I am great with identifying songs, pictures, etc. when I see it.
              ~poemon1

p.s. Sorry it's too long. I'm very talkative, also.

I http://i48.tinypic.com/2j3lm3n.jpg Scratch

http://i47.tinypic.com/rrqe13.gif

#4784 2012-05-15 08:10:43

bobbybee
Scratcher

Hello. I’m bobbybee. I’ve been Scratching since 2009. (maybe even 2008 without an account). My best project so far, DragonThunder, is a one-of-a-kind project that I’ve been working on for many months, which proves I’m dedicated to the Scratch community. Honestly, if Scratch didn’t have such wonderful people on the forums, I’m not sure I would’ve ever stayed. And the reason I’m applying for curator is so I can step up my role in the community.

I’m interested in becoming a curator because I can fairly assess the wide range of Scratch projects and select the ones that best represent the Scratch community. I appreciate unique Scratch projects that are well thought-out and programmed equally well. If I were a curator, for example, I would help prevent the trends that occur on the homepage such as remix chains. Instead, I would leave space for the most unique projects, the projects that nobody looks at, but are often substantially better than famous projects. Why do I have qualification to judge fame or uniqueness? I’ve been on Scratch for more than two years, during which time I’ve Scratched many projects, uploaded or not, allowing me to gain a thorough understanding of a project’s quality. I am actively foruming and have a keen understanding on who is famous, getting projects front-paged and who is not. Based on feedback from other Scratchers, my programming is outstanding and this skill gives me the advantage to truly see whether a project is complex or basic, regardless of the project’s visuals. For example, if I’m judging a game, I will judge art, game-play, and sounds, but most importantly, I judge the programming. Focus on programming is key as in Scratch’s motto, “imagine, program, share”, which consists of the word “program,” and not the word “draw,” or “compose.” Either way, it is my opinion that uniqueness and programming truly are the two most important aspects of a project.

Even though I value uniqueness and programming, I particularly show these traits in projects that I might curate. For instance, I would more likely curate a well-programmed game with a unique plot. I also particularly enjoy projects that take normal, common ideas and put big spins on them like RedRocker’s 1s1s Ultra Pong. As for the programming side, I can get more selective about which projects are worth it to me. I have always been fascinated by multiplayer projects and there is a major reason why curators would be helpful to these projects: Featured Projects must work well online (there are no official online multiplayer methods at the time of writing), and the community slots wouldn’t work because more people are interested in the more common projects, which doesn’t leave room for the more unique projects (which often take more patience to set-up). Another type of hard, programming-related projects are unique 3D projects. I don’t find much interest in basic 3D projects, like sprites made in Blender, which are usually quite easy to do if you have 3D modeling experience, and shun upon much real programming, but I find excellence in 3D projects, which are using more pioneered methods, such as Canthiar’s ray tracer. But if I find a truly unique and well-programmed project, I can enjoy it, and curate it, regardless of some of the criteria I mentioned throughout this paragraph.

I’ve always had dreams of getting a leadership position in the Scratch community, such as curatorship, a wonderful opportunity. I continue to be dedicated to Scratch, as I proved with some of my unique, well-programmed projects that took much work and often collaboration. Another example of my dedication is that I designed a custom T-Shirt that I’ll be wearing to MIT Scratch Day 2012. I truly believe I have the necessary skills to be a great curator and look forward to making the Scratch Community an even better for programming, artists, and great minds alike. Scratch On!

Last edited by bobbybee (2012-05-15 08:11:28)

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#4785 2012-05-15 12:06:41

schusteralex2
Scratcher

bobbybee wrote:

-wall-of-text-

Great Speech  big_smile

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uj37ds.gif

#4786 2012-05-15 14:36:33

pwned95
Scratcher

I'd like to become a curator, because I've done some good engines(even if not all were posted as projects) and I am helpfull.

#4787 2012-05-15 15:45:18

pkease
Scratcher

http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/34562.png
I hope i will sometime!

#4788 2012-05-15 16:41:32

AgentRoop
Scratcher

schusteralex2 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

-wall-of-text-

Great Speech  big_smile

yeah, i'm blown away! You seem very passionate about scratch and contributing to the community. I hope that you can curate projects for lot's of unnoticed scratchers.

La La
I wrote an album.

#4789 2012-05-15 17:53:54

Pikapika12
New Scratcher

Pikapika12 wrote:

Benjbob wrote:

Good  idea, but you can't be one until you're a Scratcher on the forums. Bye! ✌

Oh. When I last visited, you were a new scratcher! I'm rooting for ya'! You deserve to be a curator. ♡♡♡✌

#4790 2012-05-15 18:27:14

bobbybee
Scratcher

AgentRoop wrote:

schusteralex2 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

-wall-of-text-

Great Speech  big_smile

yeah, i'm blown away! You seem very passionate about scratch and contributing to the community. I hope that you can curate projects for lot's of unnoticed scratchers.

Thanks!

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#4791 2012-05-15 18:32:13

coolhogs
Scratcher

coolhogs wrote:

SCRATCH TEAM, PLEASE READ:

I ask myself WHY, HOW, WHOM, and WHAT; WHY I would like to become curator, HOW I would curate projects, WHOM I should curate, WHAT I should curate. thus dividing this into 4 categories.

WHY:
Most projects don't get on the front page. They just get into the newest projects category for a few minutes, then they vanIsh. Unfortunately, some of these projects are very good. If I was chosen to be curator, then these projects would soon become legends. Remember Kaj? Well, he/she was a Scratcher who claimed that his projects weren't famous, and then threatened to destroy Scratch. With me, that would never happen again.

HOW:
I would curate projects using this key:
Programming: /5
Art: /5
Sound: /5
Appropriate-ness: /5
Below 10 Views/Love-its/Favorites: /10

I will explain why I chose this key:
Programming: Explains how much is complex. This doesn't matter. The project can be complex, or the project can be small.
Art: Creativity of using the Scratch Paint Editor or any other paint program to create art
Sounds: The 3rd most important part of this key. Sounds range from sound effects to full-time songs. Sounds is an important part of this key, because the sounds rely on the art. For example, if a project has a slow character, it would be best to put in a slow song, than a hyper song.
Appropriate-ness: The 1st important part of this key. Appropriate-ness defines if it's suitable for children or not. If it isn't suitable, then I wouldn't curate it. Instead I would flag it.
Below 10 Views/Love-its/Favorites: The 2nd important part of this key. If it's below 10 views/love-its/favorites, it will be curated. If it isn't, then I would not curate it. I would instead say to the project creator, “If it doesn't get above 10 views/love-its/favorites in the [time left as curator divided by 2], I will curate it.”

Whom:
I would curate users with:
No Fame (No front paged project)
Who have been on Scratch for at least 1 month
Who have a variety of projects

What:
I would curate:
Platformers (Raycasters, Scrollers, Static)
Animations (Funny ones not ones with just the Scratch Cat walking around)
Simulation: (Like Cloning Machines, Chat, Gravity)
I already have most of my projects picked out.

Can someone rate my speech using a /10?

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#4792 2012-05-15 19:48:04

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

coolhogs wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

I ask myself WHY, HOW, WHOM, and WHAT; WHY I would like to become curator, HOW I would curate projects, WHOM I should curate, WHAT I should curate. thus dividing this into 4 categories.

WHY:
Most projects don't get on the front page. They just get into the newest projects category for a few minutes, then they vanIsh. Unfortunately, some of these projects are very good. If I was chosen to be curator, then these projects would soon become legends. Remember Kaj? Well, he/she was a Scratcher who claimed that his projects weren't famous, and then threatened to destroy Scratch. With me, that would never happen again.

HOW:

Programming: Explains how much is complex. This doesn't matter. The project can be complex, or the project can be small.
Art: Creativity of using the Scratch Paint Editor or any other paint program to create art
Sounds: The 3rd most important part of this key. Sounds range from sound effects to full-time songs. Sounds is an important part of this key, because the sounds rely on the art. For example, if a project has a slow character, it would be best to put in a slow song, than a hyper song.
Appropriate-ness: The 1st important part of this key. Appropriate-ness defines if it's suitable for children or not. If it isn't suitable, then I wouldn't curate it. Instead I would flag it.
Below 10 Views/Love-its/Favorites: The 2nd important part of this key. If it's below 10 views/love-its/favorites, it will be curated. If it isn't, then I would not curate it. I would instead say to the project creator, “If it doesn't get above 10 views/love-its/favorites in the [time left as curator divided by 2], I will curate it.”

Whom:

What:
I would curate:

I'd give it an 8/10. It was pretty good!

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

#4793 2012-05-15 19:53:13

coolhogs
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

WHY:

HOW:

Whom:

What:
I would curate:

I'd give it an 8/10. It was pretty good!

Thanks, sonicfan12p.

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#4794 2012-05-15 20:34:02

puppymk
Scratcher

Pikapika12 wrote:

Here's my "speech":
I'm going to choose projects that are..
❁Unique
❁Insparational
❁Creative
❁Just plain awesome!
I want to be a curator because...
❁I will make a good curator
❁It sounds fun!
❁I can give my opinion on what should go on the front page
❁I have lots of time because my teacher gives me barely any Homework!
As a curator, I will..
❁Choose projects that aren't remixes
❁Choose projects that are appropriate for ages 10 and under (like me)
❁Probably not take any recommendations, because who knows what I like?
❁Keep Copyright and Creative Commons in mind
❁Choose 2 projects every other day
❁And most of all.. Be myself and have fun!
I hope you choose me because..
❁I think that I can tackle this job
❁It will be fun
❁I'm not just choosing unnoticed projects
I hope you choose me when I'm ready!
~Pikapika12~
(aka Lunastar-)

Great speech!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60598636/puppymk-sig.png

#4795 2012-05-15 22:45:39

scratcher5000
Scratcher

Who's gonna be the next curator after Chanmanpartyman (Sorry if this is not the right place to post things like this)

Click The Picture!!!https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AJkKdtvtfB8/T8wjCMxcatI/AAAAAAAAAIs/46buzBlD9U0/s0-d/cooltext709275256.png I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=scratcher5000&action=onlineStatus&type=text

#4796 2012-05-15 23:41:55

SuperNova337
Scratcher

I would love to be a curator. I love this website, I literally visit it whenever i am free.

<when green flag clicked>
<say[  SUPERNOVA337!!!

#4797 2012-05-16 04:38:21

Hardmath123
Scratcher

scratcher5000 wrote:

Who's gonna be the next curator after Chanmanpartyman (Sorry if this is not the right place to post things like this)

Legolas_Greenleaf

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#4798 2012-05-16 06:52:04

poemon1
Scratcher

One more thing... if I don't get to be curator, I would vote for Pikapika12.

http://i47.tinypic.com/rrqe13.gif

#4799 2012-05-16 09:25:56

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Hi there!

I'm Hardmath123, and I'm a geek. I used to be a nerd, but then I got Scratch. I see a subtle difference between the two: both nerds and geeks are smart, but nerds give out information to show off, while geeks give out knowledge to help others. Geeks are the creators, those who "do". A nerd would know the calculations required to launch a rocket which would orbit the moon and return, given the resources. A geek would know how to build a pretty impressive rocket out of a water bottle, baking soda, and vinegar.

I think Scratch is what made me a geek. Ever since I got Scratch, I have been expressing ideas, putting them into practice. It's easy to say "Someone should make an app which...", but it's hard to go ahead and do it. Scratch simplifies things to the level where you can confidently go out and try to do it. The brilliant community where geniuses around the world bend over backwards to help you achieve something obvious to them is just icing on the cake.

I've been on Scratch for over 2 years (817 days as of today). I am an avid programmer, and am, according to most of my comments, really good at it. Nowadays, I have moved on from Scratch to more advanced languages, JavaScript and Objective-C; but Scratch will always be the one language I'm just great at. I know it inside-out and upside-down — and, being a geek, I have been sharing my knowledge extensively.

I have over 1500 Wiki edits, the most by any non-administrator. I have over 1700 posts on the forums, out of which I'm proud of one sticky in the Advanced Topics. I'm really active there, and am constantly helping people out with their programming troubles, or helping develop great applications like BYOB 4.0/Snap. I also help out by pointing out glitches with the website or Scratch program often (BTW you still need to fix the footer on Wiki pages which says Terms of Use rather than Community Guidelines…).

Why?

Because I want to give back to Scratch. I have asked hundreds of questions, pestered many Scratchers with "How did you do that?" or "Please love-it this project". And now, 2 years later, when I normally get 200+ views on projects and am generally really well-known in the Community, and I think it's time to help others get where I am.

It's really satisfying to see your project rack up views. There's this really special feeling in getting a couple of friends and some good comments on a project. I know; I have been featured once, and it was one of the best three days ever. So I think the best way I can give back to Scratch is to make a few more Scratchers just as happy as I was those three days. And the only way I can see doing that is to become a curator.

Being a curator, I will do a few different things from other curators have said in their speeches: first of all, I'm going to pick fewer projects but curate them for a longer time. I will pick 15 projects and curate sets of 3 for 3 days each, so that those Scratchers get the best out of their time in the limelight. I would try to curate projects with few views, but I will be more tolerant than past curators; cutting off at 50 views rather than 10 or 20 as some curators say they will. This is because a good project will get quite a few views, and it's unfair to not curate it just because it got 17 views rather than 10. Finally, I will aim to curate projects not only of high standard (I can pick these out easily, since being on Scratch for so long has given me a keen eye for good programming), but projects which show the diversity of Scratch, the infinite ways it can be used. I will discern not only on quality, but also on content, unlike many curators who may ignore great content because the programming is a bit glitchy or the graphics look plain. I promise to curate at least one of the following project types:
• Tutorial: these are often great but not popular
• Educational project: Scratch is an educational program, isn't it?
• Animation and art: Scratch was designed with art and animation in mind.
• Simulation: These tend to be amazing but unpopular
• Game: These also need lots of work, but generally aren't featured
• Application/Utility, something practical: It's quite cool how creative people get putting Scratch in real life
• Remix chain: Ok, I've got to explain this one, haven't I? Well, my reason is that Scratch's motto is Imagine • Programe • Share. Sharing is part of the community, and remixing is one of the greatest was to share and interact directly with the community. But I'll definitely pick out a reasonable remix chain: there are many creative ideas out there, but are overshadowed by "add yourself doing…" projects. That's about to change.

I will NOT curate any project which breaks the Community Guidelines. I will be open to suggestions, but I won't curate a project recommended by its creator. Finally, I will try to curate projects which work on all three players, because people normally aren't interested in projects which explicitly ask you to download it even before you know what it's supposed to do.

I have a gallery with some of my favorite projects which I may curate, depending on how many views they have when I'm about to curate them. If you check it out, you'll see just how diverse my picks are.

Thank you for putting up with this enormous wall of text, and I hope you consider me for this position.

Sincerely,
Hardmath123

P.S. Scratch On!  big_smile

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#4800 2012-05-16 09:54:44

AwesomeStudios
Scratcher

I would like to be curator. I would feature projects with advanced coding, such as a chess game with an in-game AI as your opponent. I enjoy helping new scratchers with learning the language, as well as learning myself from more advanced scratchers. I hope you consider me!  smile

Board footer