This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#501 2012-05-06 01:14:19

DIY
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

fg123 wrote:

I agree with veggie to some degree. Both mixing styles have their pros and cons. DIY's are more professional and musically correct, but TBtruthfullyH, I preferred the older mixes. The fact that it was a little off contributed to the fact that it's awesome, being that it's really just made by kids. I'm probably just going on a random tangent right now.  tongue 

Vocals for MVTU is a little soft. I hear a little static behind the mix.
Drums for MVTU are a little distorted from too much treble, better mic maybe?

When I'm besides you, is awesome, but vocals could be louder...

LSJ has some drum distortion, too much treble maybe...

Gone's piano sounds like it has a bit of echo/delay/reverb.
Drums are distorted... again? Drum machine. Just a suggestion  tongue
Techno's vocals are a little soft at points...

Reload's drums also has some artifacts, but it's a little better.
The vocals for this is awesome. Who sang it?

That's my two cents, don't kill me for it.

Reload is the best song from what I've heard of our audience although Lazy Sunday Jam sounds good too. Its organ solo and guitar work by hpotter134 are stellar. So in reply to your comment on the project Crimson Love, I'm not 'complimenting' myself. I'm saying the actual outcome was amazing. LolaRose1892 sang for Reload and the other two songs. I thought her harmonies for My Voice to You were good, but her soft voice never really suited When I'm Beside You.

Exactly, my mixes are intended to be in standard configuration, making them 'musically correct'. There is no reason why 'kids' of 11-15 years can't produce professional music. I have always hated that stereotype, and as we expand over the web, we must make an effort to sound professional, otherwise no one will ever take any notice of our music. This has always been my ultimate motive, and I hope my fellow colleagues will work towards that too.

Thanks for your feedback. Most of those points have been stated already and I've mentioned certain reasons for that in the posts above, like the keys covering up for various other flaws.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#502 2012-05-06 01:38:33

veggieman001
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Maybe you should think about recording the drums and then the bass first, and then having the other musicians record their parts to the rhythm section as opposed to individually? That would make the timing a bit better for everyone.

That was what I originally planned when I just started the band, but it doesn't really work since one member can delay the whole thing (perhaps unintentionally), as mentioned by DIY.

Well it could perhaps work now if you and jslomba record your tracks first.

#503 2012-05-06 13:24:31

technoguyx
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Maybe you should think about recording the drums and then the bass first, and then having the other musicians record their parts to the rhythm section as opposed to individually? That would make the timing a bit better for everyone.

That was what I originally planned when I just started the band, but it doesn't really work since one member can delay the whole thing (perhaps unintentionally), as mentioned by DIY.

Good point.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#504 2012-05-06 21:27:05

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

Good point.

When I get down to mixing, I'll see about that. How's the recording of bass going?

#505 2012-05-06 21:34:31

MrMonk999
Scratcher

who sang reload?

http://i.imgur.com/CAMJe.png

#506 2012-05-06 21:56:01

jslomba
Scratcher

Hey guys, I know how we can get licensed if you want  big_smile

the the the the the

#507 2012-05-06 22:33:35

technoguyx
Scratcher

MrMonk999 wrote:

who sang reload?

LolaRose did. She actually sang all songs except Gone (which I sang) on our newest album.

DIY wrote:

When I get down to mixing, I'll see about that. How's the recording of bass going?

I'll record tomorrow in the morning. I dedicated this weekend to practice, turns out the song is easier than I expected, and my bass line (with slap or without) is pretty simple and repetitive too.

Do you plan on adding lyrics to your song? It could use some if you ask me - since it's a short song we won't need too much.

jslomba wrote:

What exactly do you mean by licensed, and how?

#508 2012-05-06 22:39:46

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

MrMonk999 wrote:

who sang reload?

LolaRose did. She actually sang all songs except Gone (which I sang) on our newest album.

DIY wrote:

I'll record tomorrow in the morning. I dedicated this weekend to practice, turns out the song is easier than I expected, and my bass line (with slap or without) is pretty simple and repetitive too.

Do you plan on adding lyrics to your song? It could use some if you ask me - since it's a short song we won't need too much.

jslomba wrote:

What exactly do you mean by licensed, and how?

I will definitely add lyrics. Hope to see the tracks by tomorrow.

@ jslomba: Licensing is always gonna be hard. Please reocord your drum tracks soon. By when can I have them?  smile

#509 2012-05-07 10:23:49

technoguyx
Scratcher

Uploading the tracks right now. It's two takes, with different bass lines in the ending. It indeed was much simpler than I thought, the takes I recorded are nearly perfect :3

I also decided to pass the tracks through a tiny bit of overdrive and some compression from a VST amp plugin I have. If that bothers you enough that you can't fix it without some EQing, tell me.

#510 2012-05-07 10:53:00

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

Hey guys. I realise that my vocals are rubbish quality, and I also see that this is holding you guys back and making the final product sound not quite amazing as it should. For this reason, I suggest you find another vocalist.

I will be in no way offended if you do indeed replace me, as really, I am sort of suggesting it myself.

~LolaRose1892

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#511 2012-05-07 11:24:09

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Uploading the tracks right now. It's two takes, with different bass lines in the ending. It indeed was much simpler than I thought, the takes I recorded are nearly perfect :3

I also decided to pass the tracks through a tiny bit of overdrive and some compression from a VST amp plugin I have. If that bothers you enough that you can't fix it without some EQing, tell me.

Thanks. I'll check them out.  cool

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Hey guys. I realise that my vocals are rubbish quality, and I also see that this is holding you guys back and making the final product sound not quite amazing as it should. For this reason, I suggest you find another vocalist.

I will be in no way offended if you do indeed replace me, as really, I am sort of suggesting it myself.

~LolaRose1892

That's indeed a shame, but if that's your wish, I guess we'll have to find another vocalist.  sad

It's heartening to know that you've made your decision for the betterment of the band. It is really hard to find good vocalists, and to be frank, you're a pretty decent one. It will be an arduous task replacing you, but we'll try to find someone. However, I think that you are an outstanding harmoniser so when we need you, we'll be sure to call you!  smile

Look on the bright side anyway: many people loved your vocals for Reload!  big_smile

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-07 11:32:04)

#512 2012-05-07 11:46:27

technoguyx
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

~LolaRose1892

The only problem is, people that can bring us good quality recordings while being a good vocalist, are pretty hard to find here. Vocals like the ones you recorded for Reload actually sound pretty good, IMO the only song whose vocals were really bad in quality were My Voice to You. WIBY's were a little quiet but still good, and Reload's are pretty good.

I think we're judging by only the first song of the album here, the rest of the songs don't sound bad at all, after some processing while mixing. I say you should stay unless we find a very superior vocalist.  smile

#513 2012-05-07 12:41:56

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

~LolaRose1892

The only problem is, people that can bring us good quality recordings while being a good vocalist, are pretty hard to find here. Vocals like the ones you recorded for Reload actually sound pretty good, IMO the only song whose vocals were really bad in quality were My Voice to You. WIBY's were a little quiet but still good, and Reload's are pretty good.

I think we're judging by only the first song of the album here, the rest of the songs don't sound bad at all, after some processing while mixing. I say you should stay unless we find a very superior vocalist.  smile

Yeah, I agree.

EDIT: Where are the bass tracks? Did you upload them?

Last edited by DIY (2012-05-07 23:12:29)

#514 2012-05-07 15:17:36

jslomba
Scratcher

I think I'll have my drum tracks up by this weekend.

the the the the the

#515 2012-05-07 19:45:58

hpotter134
Scratcher

Hey all, sorry for not getting back to you guys for a while...

The EP sounds good  smile

I'll get recording ASAP. My brother recently got an electric guitar, so I might be able to record on that too if you want.

http://i45.tinypic.com/fxgtvc.png

#516 2012-05-07 20:43:50

DIY
Scratcher

hpotter134 wrote:

Hey all, sorry for not getting back to you guys for a while...

The EP sounds good  smile

I'll get recording ASAP. My brother recently got an electric guitar, so I might be able to record on that too if you want.

Great! You got my message? Is it possible for you to log on here a bit more frequently for a little while until I sort everything out for this song?

Glad you like the EP. It is good you now have an electric guitar. As techno pointed out earlier, the rhythm is played far out of the range on a normal guitar, so you may have trouble finding where to play the chords. Still, I'd prefer to play the funk pattern on my guitar with the new plug-in I received that adds a nice tone to it. If you want, you can record the lead on the electric guitar instead of acoustic now that you have access to one.

@ jslomba: Hope to hear it this weekend!

#517 2012-05-07 22:47:36

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Where are the tracks uploaded? They aren't on SoundCloud, nor did I receive any e-mail regarding the tracks.

#518 2012-05-07 23:36:55

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Where are the tracks uploaded? They aren't on SoundCloud, nor did I receive any e-mail regarding the tracks.

Didn't you just say you listened to them...? I sent you an e-mail with the link anyway.

DIY wrote:

Glad you like the EP. It is good you now have an electric guitar. As techno pointed out earlier, the rhythm is played far out of the range on a normal guitar

It's out of range due to low notes - they could be reached in pretty much any guitar with a low enough tuning. That's what I can tell from looking at the sheet though - I may be wrong  tongue

#519 2012-05-07 23:40:07

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Do you guys need another guitarist?

I'm good with it, you can check out my Youtube for some examples. I can play classical, chords etc.

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#520 2012-05-07 23:42:24

veggieman001
Scratcher

It doesn't look like they do.

#521 2012-05-07 23:43:02

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Most bands have two guitarists.

#522 2012-05-08 00:01:51

veggieman001
Scratcher

That's not true at all.

#523 2012-05-08 00:04:07

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Let me rephrase that: Some bands have two guitarists.

EDIT: Lead and rhythm. Also bass, but they already have 2 bassists.

Last edited by jji7skyline (2012-05-08 00:04:42)

#524 2012-05-08 00:13:20

veggieman001
Scratcher

Yes, some do. Most of those are live acts, though, and hpotter seems to be handling the guitar duties. A lot of lead stuff is played by the keyboard in Frozen Coco, too.

#525 2012-05-08 00:14:27

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Well, an extra lead/rhythm guitar can't hurt can it?  tongue

Board footer