This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#426 2012-04-24 22:50:02

technoguyx
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

DIY wrote:

Compressing all songs would give a worse overall quality, but we could then link the SoundCloud and BandCamp tracks in the project notes. I have already started working on the project and it is turning out quite well with an interactive taskbar as well. Start on any other publicity you can get.

That project sounds good so far, I hope everything turns out well.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#427 2012-04-25 04:02:40

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

Compressing all songs would give a worse overall quality, but we could then link the SoundCloud and BandCamp tracks in the project notes. I have already started working on the project and it is turning out quite well with an interactive taskbar as well. Start on any other publicity you can get.

That project sounds good so far, I hope everything turns out well.

Don't worry, it will!  wink

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#428 2012-04-25 07:58:57

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

Hey, I was wondering if you guys wanted to do a single together? That would be fun.  smile

Are you in a band or a solo artist? What style? Any examples of your work you'd like to show us? Sounds like a good idea to me too.

Rock/Pop-ish/Synth kinda.
I am solo currently, though I am in a band IRL. I can show you an example soon.  wink

big_smile

#429 2012-04-25 08:09:56

DIY
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

Hey, I was wondering if you guys wanted to do a single together? That would be fun.  smile

Are you in a band or a solo artist? What style? Any examples of your work you'd like to show us? Sounds like a good idea to me too.

Rock/Pop-ish/Synth kinda.
I am solo currently, though I am in a band IRL. I can show you an example soon.  wink

big_smile

Go ahead and show your example.  smile

I'm not too sure techno and I would agree on Syth, but anything from rock, ballads, altern and pop should do.

Of course, as I mentioned before we have another big album on our hands after our first one which is releasing this week, so many of our own ideas will be prioritised, as is understandable.

We will always consider your suggestion.  big_smile

Last edited by DIY (2012-04-25 08:10:25)

#430 2012-04-25 08:44:16

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Well, it's not really techno-robotic-like.  tongue  It just has minimal type synths in it.  wink

#431 2012-04-25 09:00:28

DIY
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

Well, it's not really techno-robotic-like.  tongue  It just has minimal type synths in it.  wink

By techno, I was referring to technoguyx.  tongue

#432 2012-04-25 09:36:02

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

By techno, I was referring to technoguyx.  tongue

Oh lol.

#433 2012-04-25 11:25:25

technoguyx
Scratcher

I actually like the idea of incorporating synth instruments on our music, I even thought about doing something in FL Studio myself for a song or two. I'll wait for a sample of your work, though I'm sure synth rock would sound awesome. Not in a "techno with a little guitar" way, but more "rock with an electronic mix in the background, getting some spotlight at times".

#434 2012-04-25 21:26:12

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, the project is done and ready for release anytime soon. I may have to upload it slightly earlier than the scheduled release since I have arranged with the curator to get it curated during the weekend.

So that's good news. The earlier the better!  big_smile

#435 2012-04-26 11:29:37

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, Crimson Love's out now! Check the band account!

#436 2012-04-26 15:22:59

jslomba
Scratcher

That's so awesome! My favorite is Reload, then probably LSJ

the the the the the

#437 2012-04-26 20:51:55

DIY
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

That's so awesome! My favorite is Reload, then probably LSJ

Thanks for adding the text on your sig. I'll make new ones for you guys soon.

I agree, Reload is probably my favourite too. It took a lot of hard work for me to revamp cos I just had the intro to work on, but I git through. The guitar and organ solos blow you away! Plus it's 4.10, making it the longest song in the album.

#438 2012-04-26 21:30:37

veggieman001
Scratcher

Really cool to see this out!

"My Voice to You"
I do really like this song. There are some parts where the guitar feels really powerful. I preferred the version with designer45, though. I feel like the more trebley vocals fit the song well and I liked the keyboard better too. Also the Crimson Love version sounds muddled.  hmm

"When I'm Beside You"
Pretty much have the same complaints with this one, although as I said before it's a brilliant song. Also, the vocals in the Crimson Love version sound really weak and choppy. I preferred the bright sound of the piano in the original as well.

"Lazy Sunday Jam"
This one sounds really great! I've loved this one from its conception and it has come together really well. Although it's repetitive, it's not so long that it gets annoying and has enough variation to keep me interested in it.  smile

"Gone"
Really dig the sound of the high part on the keyboard in this. The drums sound really off though.  hmm  Also, I can barely hear the guitar. I really like the sound of Techno's vocals in this too, they really fit the song in my opinion. Man they keyboard is brilliant in this. The drums are just killing it for me.

"Reload"
Quite good. Again, the vocals sound really choppy and I think the higher frequencies should have been boosted on them. I can't really understand the vocals at all how they are.  hmm  The drums also get a little off at parts.

Overall
Really great and strong songs, although the recordings could be improved. The vocals are really beautiful but they need better equalisation and if possible, the choppiness removed somehow. The drums could be a bit bassier, IMO. And I think the keyboard also needs to be a bit more trebley too, so as to make the mix less muddled.
Keep up the good work, guys, and I look forward to hearing your future releases!

#439 2012-04-26 22:00:07

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

"My Voice to You"
I do really like this song. There are some parts where the guitar feels really powerful. I preferred the version with designer45, though. I feel like the more trebley vocals fit the song well and I liked the keyboard better too. Also the Crimson Love version sounds muddled.  hmm

"When I'm Beside You"
Pretty much have the same complaints with this one, although as I said before it's a brilliant song. Also, the vocals in the Crimson Love version sound really weak and choppy. I preferred the bright sound of the piano in the original as well.

"Lazy Sunday Jam"
This one sounds really great! I've loved this one from its conception and it has come together really well. Although it's repetitive, it's not so long that it gets annoying and has enough variation to keep me interested in it.  smile

"Gone"
Really dig the sound of the high part on the keyboard in this. The drums sound really off though.  hmm  Also, I can barely hear the guitar. I really like the sound of Techno's vocals in this too, they really fit the song in my opinion. Man they keyboard is brilliant in this. The drums are just killing it for me.

"Reload"
Quite good. Again, the vocals sound really choppy and I think the higher frequencies should have been boosted on them. I can't really understand the vocals at all how they are.  hmm  The drums also get a little off at parts.

Overall
Really great and strong songs, although the recordings could be improved. The vocals are really beautiful but they need better equalisation and if possible, the choppiness removed somehow. The drums could be a bit bassier, IMO. And I think the keyboard also needs to be a bit more trebley too, so as to make the mix less muddled.
Keep up the good work, guys, and I look forward to hearing your future releases!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to see you enjoyed the keys!

BTW, the vocals had some horrible background interference which had to be salvaged. If the gain on the vocal track was increased, a kind of wah wah (an effect for guitar) sound could be heard. This let the vocals of LolaRose1892 down, spoiling a much better possible outcome, and making it 'muddled'.

I'm surprised you seem to prefer trebly sounds. You're right, the drums in Gone were the hardest to mix. The track jslomba played had to be worked on quite a bit to get it on timing with the rest. No offense jslomba, I know it's a hard song to play drums for!

Reload's probably the strongest song in this album, as many have told me, and I'm pretty proud of the way hpotter134 converted my revamp of the song into a rock ballad!

Once again, thank you for responding with encouraging feedback and I too can't wait for our future releases.

#440 2012-04-26 22:31:30

veggieman001
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

"My Voice to You"

"When I'm Beside You"

"Lazy Sunday Jam"

"Gone"

"Reload"

Overall

BTW, the vocals had some horrible background interference which had to be salvaged. If the gain on the vocal track was increased, a kind of wah wah (an effect for guitar) sound could be heard. This let the vocals of LolaRose1892 down, spoiling a much better possible outcome, and making it 'muddled'.

I'm surprised you seem to prefer trebly sounds. You're right, the drums in Gone were the hardest to mix. The track jslomba played had to be worked on quite a bit to get it on timing with the rest. No offense jslomba, I know it's a hard song to play drums for!

Reload's probably the strongest song in this album, as many have told me, and I'm pretty proud of the way hpotter134 converted my revamp of the song into a rock ballad!

Once again, thank you for responding with encouraging feedback and I too can't wait for our future releases.

Ah, that makes sense about the vocals. Hope something will be worked out in the future as you'll have more time, as I know you wanted to get this out this month.  smile

And yeah, I like trebley things. They just mix better with my ears, I think. A lot of things I like are fairly trebley.

#441 2012-04-26 22:56:22

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

"My Voice to You"

"When I'm Beside You"

"Lazy Sunday Jam"

"Gone"

"Reload"

Overall

Ah, that makes sense about the vocals. Hope something will be worked out in the future as you'll have more time, as I know you wanted to get this out this month.  smile

And yeah, I like trebley things. They just mix better with my ears, I think. A lot of things I like are fairly trebley.

LOL, yeah, we'll need someone to get a better mic.

#442 2012-04-26 23:13:26

technoguyx
Scratcher

...Did you just buy SoundCloud Pro on our band account or did I misunderstand the e-mail I read?  tongue

Nice to know Crimson Love is finally out, will listen to the tracks tomorrow (EDIT: nvm, listening to it now. Only complaints I have is that the tracks, and particularly the bass, could sound a little louder, and that the vocals in MVTY are pretty off in the second verse). Will update my sig.

EDIT: Changed the genre to Pop Rock if you don't mind. Shouldn't be tracks be downloadable, too?

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-04-26 23:21:02)

#443 2012-04-26 23:29:52

technoguyx
Scratcher

Oh god.

That piano intro in Gone just gave me serious chills. The rest of the instruments sound pretty tiny and quiet though. This seems to be a problem with most tracks, the instrumentation just doesn't seem as atmospheric as in the Noteflight tracks, being pretty cold instead.

I'm not sure if it's too late for this, but I could remaster the tracks a little myself (now that I can), making sure it sounds like I said - louder, everything in sync and with an overall more filling atmosphere. Do you, DIY, have no problem uploading the master tracks to all the songs for me to mix them myself?

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-04-26 23:31:32)

#444 2012-04-26 23:30:08

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

...Did you just buy SoundCloud Pro on our band account or did I misunderstand the e-mail I read?  tongue

Nice to know Crimson Love is finally out, will listen to the tracks tomorrow (EDIT: nvm, listening to it now. Only complaints I have is that the tracks, and particularly the bass, could sound a little louder, and that the vocals in MVTY are pretty off in the second verse). Will update my sig.

EDIT: Changed the genre to Pop Rock if you don't mind. Shouldn't be tracks be downloadable, too?

World describes it better since Reload is a Rock Ballad, Gone a piano ballad, LSJ an instrumental (doesn't really fit anywhere). World is a more universal term, so I think we should stick to that.

Yup, I did get Premium (trial so far). I'll try it out to see if it benefits us. Surprise!  big_smile

For now just link your sig to the project. I know about the vocals in MVTY too, but LolaRose1892 sang it horribly off tempo.

I have made bass values louder than what you had set them to in MVTY and WIBY before.  hmm

Gone, LSJ and Reload has heavy bass. I really like how my bass turned out in Reload, especially since like you said, it was a hard part to play and improvise.

#445 2012-04-26 23:32:15

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Oh god.

That piano intro in Gone just gave me serious chills. The rest of the instruments sound pretty tiny and quiet though. This seems to be a problem with most tracks, the instrumentation just doesn't seem as atmospheric as in the Noteflight tracks, being pretty cold instead.

I'm not sure if it's too late for this, but I could remaster the tracks a little myself (now that I can), making sure it sounds like I said - louder, everything in sync and with an overall more filling atmosphere.

No problem, I'll work on that. Maybe it's the heavy sound of the acoustic grand. I'll try filtering the piano. If you notice as well, the tracks have much less interference than the originals and are of much better quality.

RE: Your edit: I'll have a go myself. I'm free for the day, so I could work on it to completion this evening.

Last edited by DIY (2012-04-26 23:33:37)

#446 2012-04-26 23:35:49

technoguyx
Scratcher

Higher bass values don't mean much in such a quiet mix, if you ask me. And the serious chills comment was meant to be a compilement, I loved that.  wink

Being honest, though I did like how some things turned out, there's many things I didn't like, leaving me not quite satisfied with the end result. I could throw in some few changes myself in the following days, as I mentioned in an edit.

#447 2012-04-26 23:41:29

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Higher bass values don't mean much in such a quiet mix, if you ask me. And the serious chills comment was meant to be a compilement, I loved that.  wink

Being honest, though I did like how some things turned out, there's many things I didn't like, leaving me not quite satisfied with the end result. I could throw in some few changes myself in the following days, as I mentioned in an edit.

Look at my edit above  tongue

DIY wrote:

RE: Your edit: I'll have a go myself. I'm free for the day, so I could work on it to completion this evening.

I'll work on the areas you suggested. The overall reception seems to be great though. It was not easy with drums going off for Gone and the vocals of LolaRose1892 were a real headache to cut and mix.

The end result is quite creditable, but I will work on it today and upload soon.

P.S. I'm arranging the publicity, and hopefully in a few hours we'll have our project advertised greatly!  big_smile

#448 2012-04-27 07:59:39

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

I'll work on the areas you suggested. The overall reception seems to be great though. It was not easy with drums going off for Gone and the vocals of LolaRose1892 were a real headache to cut and mix.

Yes, but I still feel with some changes it could be far better. What about sending me the tracks, plus the .rpp (assuming you're using Reaper. I can work with .flp too) files by e-mail (perhaps uploading them to another website in a password protected .zip), after you do the editing you mentioned? I'm pretty sure I can fix exactly what's wrong in some of the songs, to reupload everything this weekend.

And yes, I imagine off-sync tracks must be hard to work with.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-04-27 08:00:23)

#449 2012-04-27 08:33:27

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

Yes, but I still feel with some changes it could be far better. What about sending me the tracks, plus the .rpp (assuming you're using Reaper. I can work with .flp too) files by e-mail (perhaps uploading them to another website in a password protected .zip), after you do the editing you mentioned? I'm pretty sure I can fix exactly what's wrong in some of the songs, to reupload everything this weekend.

And yes, I imagine off-sync tracks must be hard to work with.

I mentioned I'll work on them. If I need help, I'll contact you.

#450 2012-04-27 09:32:13

technoguyx
Scratcher

Ok, it's just that I'd prefer if you showed me the tracks with the changes you've made before uploading them to the public.

Board footer