This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#326 2012-04-07 13:10:55

technoguyx
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

Hey, I've been progressing a little on this song idea. I'm pretty much done with the first verse and I'm considering some distorted guitar power chords for the chorus, but in my mind that would sound way too much like Buckethead's Soothsayer, the song that inspired mine.

That song idea plus jslomba's Flashback would make pretty good songs for our next album. We should start thinking about ideas for songs now, since Crimson Love only needs vocals to be released.

EDIT: If FreshStudios is really sure about leaving, I say we contact KalinaStar or LolaRose1892. I think KalinaStar's singing would sound better in a mix (louder, clearer), and her recordings are of a higher quality. LolaRose has better pitch, though.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-04-07 13:36:05)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#327 2012-04-07 17:41:41

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Hey, I've been progressing a little on this song idea. I'm pretty much done with the first verse and I'm considering some distorted guitar power chords for the chorus, but in my mind that would sound way too much like Buckethead's Soothsayer, the song that inspired mine.

That song idea plus jslomba's Flashback would make pretty good songs for our next album. We should start thinking about ideas for songs now, since Crimson Love only needs vocals to be released.

Hey there! I know why you would think that, yes, but can I say a few things?

Indo
EDIT: If FreshStudios is really sure about leaving, I say we contact KalinaStar or LolaRose1892. I think KalinaStar's singing would sound better in a mix (louder, clearer), and her recordings are of a higher quality. LolaRose has better pitch, though.

First, thanks for even considering me as a singer for your band, as it means a lot to me! Also, I can clearly see what you mean when you say what you did, comparing us. My mic is fairly rubbish, but I do my ultimate best to give you guys what you want. I have pravticed so much that I know the songs word for word, and have downloaded all three tracks onto my MP3 player and am listening to them pretty much nonstop.

I will work hard for you, and am also a quick learner. I tend to be able to pick up the tune of a song and know the words after only a few listens. Jar of Hearts? Heard it on the radio and on TV a few times, but know it off by heart and have taught myself to play it on piano.

KalinaStar is also ultra-talented, and has an AMAZING voice, I'll give you that. But one thing I have noticed is that, she did say she can't read notes? Am I mixing her uo with someone, or is that right?

Anyways, like I said, I play piano, so can read notes no problem.

Also, if my recording isn,t great quality, it's because my mic is pretty bad to start with, and I don't sing very loud because of different reasons. Mainly because I don't want to disturb my family.

Sorry for any spellings mistakes here by the way, but I'm on my tablet which is quite hard to type on.

But anyway, thanks sooo much for the chance to do this, and please do let me know if you need me, as i am oly too happy to help out! Oh, and since KalinaStar and I are both amazing  big_smile  you could combine our recordings and have her singing the chorus and me the verse or something! We both have our strong and weak points, s you could rotate between us! Just a thought...

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#328 2012-04-07 18:46:39

technoguyx
Scratcher

IIRC it's FreshStudios the one who said she can't read notes.

Both of you are quite good singers in your own ways, but tbh I think having only 1 singer works better. When Frozen Coco just started, we had two singers, and it didn't work out quite well.  tongue

#329 2012-04-07 19:18:02

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

IIRC it's FreshStudios the one who said she can't read notes.

Both of you are quite good singers in your own ways, but tbh I think having only 1 singer works better. When Frozen Coco just started, we had two singers, and it didn't work out quite well.  tongue

Oops! Sorry, I got mixed up then!  hmm

Yeah, that's fine, I can see how that might be a struggle.

BTW, do you have any idea which of us will be chosen yet?

#330 2012-04-07 19:50:58

technoguyx
Scratcher

Nope, no idea. And even if I had, I don't think I could tell you just like that.

I'm trying to record Gone right now :3 Mostly practicing and setting up my recording equipment right now - it's going better than I expected.  big_smile

EDIT: ...And by "better than expected" I meant it's not glass-breaking horrible, but still not good at all - my singing sounds quite bad at times. D: I'll try to get at least one decent take today (it's not meant to be the final one anyway) and improve on that other day.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-04-07 20:15:42)

#331 2012-04-07 20:29:14

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Nope, no idea. And even if I had, I don't think I could tell you just like that.

I'm trying to record Gone right now :3 Mostly practicing and setting up my recording equipment right now - it's going better than I expected.  big_smile

EDIT: ...And by "better than expected" I meant it's not glass-breaking horrible, but still not good at all - my singing sounds quite bad at times. D: I'll try to get at least one decent take today (it's not meant to be the final one anyway) and improve on that other day.

Good point. Well it's 1:28am here, so i should probably go to sleep.  big_smile

Have fun doing that then!

#332 2012-04-07 21:44:04

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

LOL, I'm sure it won't be 'glass-breaking horrible!  tongue

And btw, KalinaStar couldn't read notes too.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#333 2012-04-07 21:50:11

technoguyx
Scratcher

I can't read sheet music either, I just can't seem to.  hmm

I'll upload a pair of quick takes I managed to record right now, just so you know more or less how will it sound and what my voice sounds like. But they definitely won't be the final tracks, they don't sound good as I said.

EDIT: Done. You should have received a notification in SoundCloud (they're private tracks) but here's a link anyway. I think the second quick take sounds better.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-04-07 21:56:29)

#334 2012-04-07 22:35:26

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I can't read sheet music either, I just can't seem to.  hmm

I'll upload a pair of quick takes I managed to record right now, just so you know more or less how will it sound and what my voice sounds like. But they definitely won't be the final tracks, they don't sound good as I said.

EDIT: Done. You should have received a notification in SoundCloud (they're private tracks) but here's a link anyway. I think the second quick take sounds better.

I'm not free now (it's early morning). I'll check them out later. Thanks.

#335 2012-04-08 04:30:19

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

So i was right? I was right.

#336 2012-04-08 04:38:10

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

Yeah, that means you are probably in. The only thing is the background interference in your recordings...

#337 2012-04-08 04:48:59

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

DIY wrote:

Yeah, that means you are probably in. The only thing is the background interference in your recordings...

Yes. That. I don't seem to be able to do anything about that. I don't really have any other means of recording, so it's the best I can do.

Is there anything you can do to get rid of it? Cause I'm a complete novice at editing sounds and stuff.  sad

#338 2012-04-08 05:28:12

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

DIY wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Yes. That. I don't seem to be able to do anything about that. I don't really have any other means of recording, so it's the best I can do.

Is there anything you can do to get rid of it? Cause I'm a complete novice at editing sounds and stuff.  sad

Yeah, I can try.

#339 2012-04-08 07:07:30

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

DIY wrote:

Yeah, I can try.

Thanks!

#340 2012-04-08 21:54:14

DIY
Scratcher

My Voice to You and When I'm Beside You have been completely mixed. The finished result is good, except for the poor recording quality of the vocals. Now I aim to remaster just the vocal tracks, minimising the background interference. Techno, do you know of an effective way to get rid of background interference? I don't want just the parts where there's no singing to be removed, but the overall track disturbance, which is going to be hard. Anyway, I will work on that. I think I may have a solution to it.

#341 2012-04-09 09:06:25

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

My Voice to You and When I'm Beside You have been completely mixed. The finished result is good, except for the poor recording quality of the vocals. Now I aim to remaster just the vocal tracks, minimising the background interference. Techno, do you know of an effective way to get rid of background interference? I don't want just the parts where there's no singing to be removed, but the overall track disturbance, which is going to be hard. Anyway, I will work on that. I think I may have a solution to it.

Yeah, I'm sorry bout that guys...  sad

#342 2012-04-09 09:42:44

veggieman001
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Have you tried using Audacity's built in noise removal on the vocal tracks?

#343 2012-04-09 09:49:11

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

Audacity is way too basic for this kind of sound editing. I have used more superior audio editing programs like Reaper, FL Studio, GarageBand and even SoundBooth in order to minimise this. Poulin le Cab may help, but the change is very little. Anyway, I managed to eliminate the background disturbance to some extent.

Techno, I'll be e-mailing My Voice to You so you can see what I mean.

#344 2012-04-09 10:05:27

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

I didn't know that's what it was used for. :O
That will be very helpful for me.

#345 2012-04-09 10:07:13

veggieman001
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

DIY wrote:

Yeah, it can be really useful. I can understand if you don't want to use it though, DIY.  smile

#346 2012-04-09 10:09:31

DIY
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Yeah, it can be really useful. I can understand if you don't want to use it though, DIY.  smile

Yeah, a software like this is too basic I suppose. Thanks for your concern.

#347 2012-04-09 10:42:26

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, I need you to urgently check your e-mail. I would be grateful if you could check it out as soon as possible and get back to me with what I've requested as soon as possible.

#348 2012-04-09 11:28:30

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Techno, I need you to urgently check your e-mail. I would be grateful if you could check it out as soon as possible and get back to me with what I've requested as soon as possible.

I don't seem to have any new e-mail from you. Is it MVTY? You could upload it as a private track in SoundCloud.

My way to remove background noise (which I used in the vocal tracks I did for Gone - pretty effective) involves using the REAPER VST plugin ReaFir, an all-around dynamics processor. Put it in the Substract mode and then while you play a section of pure noise in the vocal track, check Automatically build noise profile while the noise lasts. The plugin should then substract exactly what the noise sounds like from the overall sound, greatly reducing it, though perhaps slightly affecting the sound.

I also wrote some lyrics ideas for the Untitled Sad Song, tell me what you guys think:

Out of the possible, this was the worst
All things I knew before, were not the truth
Dissapointment, feel of guilt
Abandonment, lack of trust.

Well perhaps there is a thing that I, could do
Maybe there's a better world out there.

A bit generic perhaps, but that's because I have no idea what the song could be about. I'll try to write them in Noteflight when I come back from school.  smile

#349 2012-04-09 11:39:30

veggieman001
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

My way to remove background noise (which I used in the vocal tracks I did for Gone - pretty effective) involves using the REAPER VST plugin ReaFir, an all-around dynamics processor. Put it in the Substract mode and then while you play a section of pure noise in the vocal track, check Automatically build noise profile while the noise lasts. The plugin should then substract exactly what the noise sounds like from the overall sound, greatly reducing it, though perhaps slightly affecting the sound.

That's exactly what Audacity's Noise Removal does too.

#350 2012-04-09 12:13:19

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

I don't seem to have any new e-mail from you. Is it MVTY? You could upload it as a private track in SoundCloud.

I also wrote some lyrics ideas for the Untitled Sad Song, tell me what you guys think:

Out of the possible, this was the worst
All things I knew before, were not the truth
Dissapointment, feel of guilt
Abandonment, lack of trust.

Well perhaps there is a thing that I, could do
Maybe there's a better world out there.

A bit generic perhaps, but that's because I have no idea what the song could be about. I'll try to write them in Noteflight when I come back from school.  smile

I resent the e-mail. You should have received it now. If you could do the edits you suggested yourself, I would greatly appreciate it. Please try to send me the final mix very soon. The lyrics sound good, maybe I can help you out there to improve it.

@ veggieman001: Audacity's Noise Removal is quite ineffectiveI have found through experience, not like the other softwares.

Board footer