This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-04-05 14:38:30

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Spring 2012 Scratch CM Elections: Nominees

Anyone who meets all the criteria described on the  Scratch Community Moderators page can nominate themselves on this thread by posting a brief statement.

(Nominations only, please. All other posts on this thread will be removed, so that the thread stays brief and easy to read. If you'd like to discuss or have questions about the elections, please post on the election discussion thread).

Scratch On!

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#2 2012-04-05 15:19:05

XenoK_Studios
Scratcher

Re: Spring 2012 Scratch CM Elections: Nominees

I'd like to begin, by saying being a Scratch Community Moderator would be a very high honor.  I have high standards for grammar, politeness, and do not tolerate bullying.  This account may be only 4 months old, but I've been an active scratcher since 2009 with my very first account, erisok.  Over the years, I have watched the community grow, and would like to help make this the absolutely best it may be.  Also, I am fourteen years of age, and am willing to commit a number of hours toward this.  I have helped scratch in many ways, such as contributing a number of suggestions, I actively report topics relevant to the issue involved.  I also am an active wiki editor, with almost 200 edits.  Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by XenoK_Studios (2012-04-05 16:52:42)

New signature under construction

#3 2012-04-05 15:45:57

silvershine
Scratcher

Hello!

I believe that I have the necessary experience to become a community moderator. Since I joined Scratch three years ago (I’ve switched accounts a few times), I’ve always been trying to find ways to take on a more active role in the Scratch community. I’ve been lucky enough to help out with the most recent collab challenges, and through these experiences, I’ve learned a lot about how to help others, and how to lead by example. When it came time to review submitted projects, I always tried to give the best feedback that I could.

Outside of the collab challenges, I do my best to help other Scratcher’s with their questions in the forums. Having answered many questions about Scratch, I have learned more about programing and being a member of a community then anywhere else. I also really enjoy participating in discussions on the forums, and understanding different viewpoints on many of the current scratch issues.

I hope that I’ll have the opportunity to continue helping the Scratch community by becoming a moderator. Thanks for reading this!  smile

Last edited by silvershine (2012-04-06 17:59:20)

#4 2012-04-05 16:57:14

technoboy10
Scratcher

Moderating is a big responsibility, but I think I'm qualified. Here's why:

Experience
I've been an active member of the Scratch community for almost four years. I know I don't have many forum posts, but I really didn't discover the forums until a few months ago. I'm also an active SDS curator and a Scratch Wiki editor.
Helpfulness
Like I said before, I'm a Design Studio curator, so I give helpful and encouraging tips to people who submit things to the gallery. I also browse the Questions About Scratch forum frequently, and answer any unanswered questions that I can.
Other
I check the website nearly every day. This includes the main site AND the forums.

Please consider me for this position.
Thanks, Technoboy10.  big_smile
EDIT: major overhaul of my speech.
EDIT2: changed one section

Last edited by technoboy10 (2012-04-09 08:19:03)

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#5 2012-04-05 18:49:53

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Scratch has changed dramatically since the last elections. Miscellaneous became obsolete. Two new forums were introduced. Forums changed names. The [img] tags were deleted. You could say that these changes make trolling and spamming harder, and will make moderating easier. In my opinion, these changes open up a whole new era of opportunity.

I enjoy helping out on Scratch and I also like helping people with scripts, bugs and projects. I also love participating in Scratch collaborations! I treat this election as a whole new opportunity to help out, and give something back to the community.

Another reason to consider electing me as a Pasture Monitor is that I live in a different Time Zone from many other Scratchers. I live in +10 from GMT. This means that I can protect the forums when many commercial spammers and evil trolls strike. The time when many people are offline, especially mods and members of the Scratch Team.

I hope you consider this very carefully and make a wise vote.

Thanks and Scratch On!  tongue

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#6 2012-04-05 21:20:40

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Hello everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read this. I’m gettysburg11 from Pennsylvania, and I’ve been here on Scratch since June of 2008. As such, I’ve seen a lot, from the great and fun to the bad and ugly. But even through it all, I can say without a doubt that I’ve enjoyed my time here. The community has been very good to me, and I would like to become a Community Moderator in order to give back to you guys.

During the time I’ve spent here, I’ve tried my best to be as helpful as possible, whether it be through answering questions in the former All About Scratch forum or new Questions About Scratch and Help With Scripts forums, commenting on suggestions in the Suggestions forum, or helping out in the Troubleshooting/Bugs and Glitches forum. Also, I enjoy talking about various interests in the MaC and RaP forums too.

I will admit that I haven’t been on here as much as I would like to be lately, but the time for me to moderate is opening up rapidly, and if elected I will dedicate as much time as possible to being here to help everyone out with whatever they may need. Like I said before, this is all about me wanting to help the community in order to give back. I can remember plenty of times where there was a troll attack or commercial spamming going on without a mod online to be able to clean things up. I have plenty of time to be on the forums now, and thus if anything happens it can be taken down with more speed.

One of the things I find most important about being a moderator is that it is a position of major responsibility. Being a moderator isn’t just having a fancy title next to my name to me, it’s a commitment, and one that I will make sure to honor if elected.

So to sum things up, I really hope you will choose me as one of your next community moderators because I want to help you, the community, and make the forums the best they can be. Thanks for your time in reading this, and I hope you choose me to be one of your next Scratch Community Moderators!  big_smile

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#7 2012-04-06 02:03:20

slayerrobe7
Scratcher

Hello everyone,(I'll Keep this Brief)
To begin i would like to thank everyone for reading this. I love scratch and the forum is where i spend a lot of my internet time. I think i would make a Good mod because I have always been a stickler for the rules. I enjoy helping and i think this would be a good help for the overworked Scratch team and current mods. I am very active and i check out all the forums often. I have always been a lets go person so I think I could get rid of BAD post before many people see them.

!!!When it comes to Scratch2.0 I am totally like freaking out!!!

#8 2012-04-06 05:07:35

LS97
Scratcher

For those who know me, the following post will not come as news to you, so I'll keep it simple. However, let me introduce myself to the larger community of (potential) voters  wink

I am a fourteen-year-old boy with a passion for programming. Back in my youngest years I would use Powerpoint as a means of creating games, but that soon turned out to be unsuccessful. So I was delighted when a friend of mine introduced me to Scratch in May 2009. For a couple months I learned how to program using Scratch and made some pretty cool games.

Then, in June, I discovered that tab in the header called forums and since then have been an active member of the forum community. At first I was the one who asked the questions, but soon started helping others out with their problems. I am a regular visitor of the Advanced Topics, Questions about Scratch, the old Miscellaneous, and the new Help with Scripts forum.

Now that the (too long) section of history is over, I'll say that I like to post replies with correct spelling, grammar, and that I try my hardest not to be insulting or discouraging! I know what it's like to be a moderator thanks to my experiences on other forums, and I've dealt through my own big load of spam and offensiveness. Moderating is a big responsibility that I hope to have.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll consider me as your next choice of Community Moderator!  smile

#9 2012-04-06 20:21:15

Lucario621
Community Moderator

So, what are my best qualities? What experience do I have? What can you expect from me? Read further to find out!

I have been a a constantly positive contributor in the Scratch Community, for almost 5 whole years. I'm quite a dedicated Scratcher, as I have participated in all of the Scratch Day events at MIT, and I am an administrator/bureaucrat on the Scratch Wiki! In addition, I've been a valuable helper on the Scratch Forums (5000+ posts). I have also know the Scratch program in and out, having created many projects and posted thousands of constructive comments on others' projects.

I want to become a Community Moderator because I think I would serve as a great role model in the community, as I show that even though I have had my mistakes in the past (no bans though), I have gotten better and have regained much of my reputation, and am a very positive Scratcher, giving good advice to Scratchers of all ages and knowledge, with all-around experience.

I am also active on the community, usually on at least 1-2 hours each day.

However, a speech can't show everything. Check out my posts by searching for author of Lucario621, and you can see where I have contributed on the forums. It's easy for my to say that I'll be a great moderator, but I can definitely show it too.

The Scratch Community has been a great place where I have learned a lot about programming, creative learning and the internet. I'd love to further help the Scratch Community by becoming a moderator, and giving something back. So do please give me consideration as a person you should be voting for; you won't regret it.

Thanks, and Scratch On!

Last edited by Lucario621 (2012-04-07 20:43:35)

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#10 2012-04-06 21:31:14

MoreGamesNow
Scratcher

I've been Scratching for 2 and a half years and on the forums for almost as long.  The threads I search most actively for are the questions, and I'm therefore most active in the "Help With Scripts" and "Questions About Scratch" threads, but I also recognize that the Scratch forums are more than just a question-and-answer website.  I recognize the importances of welcoming new Scratchers, and also have a proficient enough knowledge of JavaScript, PHP, Scratch, a smattering of C and Java (but not Squeak, unfortunately) to not be totally out of my depth in the Advanced Topics forum too.

I have been active on the Main Site as well, and, while I may not have amassed an excessively large project count, I feel myself proficient in Scratch - a tremendous help on the forums - as well as a solid member of the Main Site community.

On the forums, I am more passive than most.  I don't feel a need to respond to every thread and interject my opinion, especially if I feel I have nothing to contribute.  I try to be as helpful as possible, and to give everyone the benefit of the doubt - on the Internet, it is all too easy to misinterpret comments.

A Community Moderator position isn't something I deserve.  It isn't really something you can deserve.  It is a position that shows that I respect the community, and the community respects me, and believe I am trustworthy enough to have faith in.  Do I meet the qualifications? Yes.  Do I have the capability to be a good moderator? I believe so.  But so do many Scratchers.  I know Scratchers who are too young and behave with the maturity to be tremendous moderators.  And all of the Scratchers who have applied are moral, just, and respectable.  What it comes down to is service to the community, and who you believe will serve the community well, and, regardless of what the future holds, I intend to do just that.

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/218929/rubiks-cube-animated-rotating.gif
"Cogito ergo sum" --  I think, therefore I am

#11 2012-04-07 11:03:40

MiaFan2010
Scratcher

I am a Scratcher since August 2011, And I've been looking for the Scratch program in late 2009. I visited the Scratch website in 2010, but I have no choice of creating an account for the Scratch website and forums. I finally got on the Scratch Website in August 2011 and my first project was a TR-909 Drumpad. In September 2011, I made my first Operating System which is originally named Scratch OS X, but renamed to MAC OS X Leopard for now. I make Operating Systems including FunComputer, MiaFanOS, Windows and Macintosh. I am always interested of being a Scratch Community Moderator. Nominate Me!

Last edited by MiaFan2010 (2012-04-07 11:04:11)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69693487/miafan2010%20new%20signature.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3798/mf2b.png

#12 2012-04-07 12:16:34

scratcher7_13
Scratcher

I would like to be a community moderator because I am fairly active, and
I would like the chance to help out around the Scratch community. I try to be helpful to anyone who needs help, and I try to be polite all the time.

Thank you to all that read this statement.

♫ 90% of teens can't do math. If you are one of the 40% of teens who can, copy and paste this into your signature. ♫♪
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6273449/BlockLibraryTitle.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/mr9Hf.gif

#13 2012-04-07 18:22:59

sparks
Community Moderator

Hi everyone! After a lot of thought I have decided to run for the role of community moderator!
________________________________________________________________________________________

I have always enjoyed being a part of the forums, answering questions, both advanced and basic and having a laugh on the way!

For me, the vibrant community found on this site is the main reason why I'm still with Scratch; the people are helpful, clever and kind in almost all instances and the forums have by far the friendliest atmosphere of any online community I have yet found! It's great to see people clubbing together to solve a problem, with at least one answer often appearing within minutes and I have always enjoyed being a part of this, answering questions, both advanced and basic and having a laugh on the way!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Every question is a gem, every idea a flower bud waiting to grow and develop in Scratch's soft, loamy soil.

I am now a full-time Scratch Design Studio Curator and I find finding a great project people have never seen and then watching the world love it as much as I did and incredible experience! I like to think that putting those as-of-yet-unseen projects into front-page galleries gives the Scratchers the confidence to keep working on amazing pieces of art and programming and it's this confidence I aim to instil in people with every question on the forum that I answer - every question is a gem, every idea a flower bud waiting to grow and develop in Scratch's soft, loamy soil.

As a community moderator I would be able to push for changes to the forums that make their use even more enjoyable

For me, being on the Scratch forums is all about improving things and making the forums accessible to as many people as possible; I've worked on projects that allow users without web-hosts to share small images with the community using nothing but bbcode; created an API that is popularly used across the forum to show online/offline status and info about new projects;  created a block library that helps users add their own blocks easily to Scratch and many more projects besides. As a community moderator I would be able to push for changes to the forums that make their use even more enjoyable, hopefully attracting more users to the community here off of the main site!
I spend a few hours on the Scratch forums a day, just tabbing through new threads to stay up to date. I already moderate and run three websites so I know what it's like to deal with a spam or troll attack and have a good eye for spotting posts that need watching, though I still have a lot to learn!
As a community moderator I can only hope to live up to the standards set out by the current ones, who work very hard to keep this site as friendly, productive and well-structured as it is, so please consider nominating me for the open position, it would be an honour to help!

Last edited by sparks (2012-04-07 18:27:24)

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#14 2012-04-08 15:19:43

Zeusking19
Scratcher

Hello, I am Zeusking19. I joined the forums sometime last year and have seen many changes, wonderful things and the great spirit of the community. As always, where there is good, there is bad. Spam, Trolling and other nasty posts made by scratchers who chose to do the wrong thing. But the community moderators and Scratch team help to make the forums a better place.

I didnt really care about the image tags. Times change. I miss Misc, but we have better, more organised forums now. And this couldnt be done without the great community and the awesome people at MIT Lifelong kindergarten.

Why do I want to be a community moderator? Well...

I am a friendly chap willing to help every scratcher, no matter what their problem. If a bad topic is around, I will kindly state why I think it should be closed, often with humor. It would be an honour to me if I were to become a community mod. Would you like a moderator who is friendly, helpful and always listens and responds with constructive comments? Then that is the mod you should have.

Thank you and Scratch on  smile

http://i49.tinypic.com/2w7e1jm.pnghttp://dragcave.net/image/eFGFz.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/9hE5q.gif

#15 2012-04-08 16:16:52

scimonster
Community Moderator

I really hope it’s not too late to enter a nomination...

---

Hi! It’s me, Scimonster. I’m a 13 year old boy, and I think programming (and foruming) are two of the best things ever. I’ve been an active and helpful member of the Scratch community for almost 2 years now, and I think most of you recognize me. I’ve been around since cheddargirl was only a mod, and there was no Flash Player.  tongue  I’ve seen a bunch of Scratch history, and have played a part in it too.

In my two years that I’ve been Scratching, I’ve helped out many users in the All About Scratch forums of old, and also the new QAS and HWS forums. I was given the privilege to be a Scratch Wiki administrator, before I even asked for it! I’m a (slightly inactive) SDS curator. I was also appointed a librarian for the Block Library in Advanced Topics.
I almost always use correct spelling and grammar. In maybe 10 of my over-8000 posts, I might have gone against the TOS. I’ve never been banned. I always try to be constructive and helpful. I view many topics each day, but don’t post because I don’t have anything new to say. Why bother retelling something said several times upthread? It’s just a minor form of spam, IMO.

As a mod, I would continue to be an active and helpful member of the community. I have had some practice moderating on another forum running FluxBB, so I know the basic mod space, and how it works. I would be happy to check reports, and move and close topics that need it as part of my job. I also often check topics that look interesting, so when people forget to report a topic for closure, I might get to it anyways.  smile
I’m also in a different timezone than Scratch Time. 7 hours ahead, in +2 GMT. This is extremely useful when people in Boston are sleeping, and there’s a troll attack (which I hope rarely happens).

I’m not running just for the fancy title beneath my username, though I would love to have that. xD I’m running because I believe I could be a good moderator, who keeps Scratch and the community that uses it a happy, friendly place for all.

If I got elected, I wouldn’t let moderating interrupt my schoolwork, which you guys (ST) always stress. I would try and put in an hour or two about every day.

I hope you choose me, but I’m fine if you don’t. It looks like there are many other users here better qualified than me.

As always, Scratch on!

#16 2012-04-09 06:51:00

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Hello!  I have decided to try running for moderator.  I am a 13-year-old, in case you don't know me. My account may say 2010, but I've been using Scratch since 2007 and I would consider myself a decent programmer, though I don't use the program that often.

I know that currently I don't use the main site a lot.  However, I will try to be active on both the main site and the forums, though I'm not sure if I'll upload tons of projects.

I think I would make a good moderator because I try to stay open-minded to people's ideas and beliefs, and not be prejudiced.  This means I do and would treat everyone equally, no matter if they're eight years old or fifteen, a boy or girl, rich or poor, skinny or heavy, tall or short, etcetera.

There are many people who have posted here before me who I believe would be a good mod, and I completely understand if you wish to vote for one of them.  However, I do hope that I get chosen as community moderator.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#17 2012-04-09 09:25:20

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Hello everyone! This is ProgrammingFreak here, and I'm running for moderator.

My dream has always been to be a moderator (most people know that), but in the last couple of months I've really started to appreciate and understand what it takes.
The community is growing continuously each and every day, and we need someone to show how the community should act and behave like.
I think that I am a suitable candidate for such a job. I enjoy helping people. It's kinda cool to see how appreciative and happy people can get when they understand something that had seemed hard to them at first.

Then there is the problem of spamming. Some spammers aren't trying to be malicious, they are just...spamming. But no matter what the intent, it's still spam. And it needs to be take away as soon as possible.

I have had much experience in modding other fluxbb forums, and know how everything works and the importance. Scimonster annd I have also worked together on a forums, and it has been moderated very well. I also endorse him, as he would be a great selection.

When I think about being a moderator, I don't think about the self advantages such as 0-second rule and a new title. I actually think about helping and being able to be a role model of how every Scratcher should act like.

My parents also make me understand that extra curricular things, such as Scratch, are a privilege. And they come after all my school is done. I would probably spend at least 1-3 hours modding, on average, enjoying every minute of it.  smile

Thanks for your time. I hope you choose the best suited user, whoever that may be.  wink

~ProgrammingFreak.

#18 2012-04-09 13:40:38

Goliath1
Scratcher

I've been interested in being a Moderator on Scratch since I joined in 2010. I am 19 years old, and I'm also a college student. Being in college has made me a very responsible and hard-working person. I love Scratch and I've always wanted to be a significant part of the community, so I worked really hard to give myself a good reputation, and I feel like I'm ready to take on the responsibility of keeping our community safe and fun!
      I've been in positions like this before, where you have more privileges and perks than others, but I've always viewed that as having earned the trust of my superiors, and then I can earn the trust of everyone else. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that good authority cannot succeed without trust, and responsibility, because the decisions of an authoritative figure have a far greater effect on others than the decisions of people not in a position of power.
      I hope that I can be a big part of the Scratch Community, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

http://8t39t548rug88j.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/imagesft.jpg

#19 2012-04-09 14:16:27

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to be a CM!
We're closing this thread now while we choose the candidates. Look for an announcement this evening.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

Board footer