This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#6176 2012-03-24 17:15:54

fireheartocean
Scratcher

Re: Minecraft Official Topic

-Eyetwitch- WHO ARE THE YOGSCAST!?!? xD I'm rather annoyed about how I don't know who they are. It's quite embarrassing. xD

**May StarClan light your path**

#6177 2012-03-24 17:17:53

imnotbob
Scratcher

fireheartocean wrote:

-Eyetwitch- WHO ARE THE YOGSCAST!?!? xD I'm rather annoyed about how I don't know who they are. It's quite embarrassing. xD

Minecrafters who post videos on YouTube (rather hilarious, but they swear)

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#6178 2012-03-24 18:43:56

schusteralex2
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

schusteralex2 wrote:

VERY important question: All my controls are set to Button one and I can't change them, and I can't move, hit or anything. What can I do to fix this  hmm

How can you not change them? Press escape, options and then controls.

I did that, it just keeps only showing button 1 -_-

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uj37ds.gif

#6179 2012-03-24 19:35:59

G0D_M0D3
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

fireheartocean wrote:

Try watching monkeyfarm.

The only time he cusses is when he gets ambushed by a hidden creeper. That only happens twice.

I made a MC texture pack! Get it at planetminecraft!
http://i.imgur.com/0EG0u.png

#6180 2012-03-24 21:06:31

fireheartocean
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

fireheartocean wrote:

Aha. Thanks for the information.  smile  I'd watch one of their videos, but I'd have to turn my sound on and my parents would most likely tell me to turn it off if it had swears in it.  tongue

**May StarClan light your path**

#6181 2012-03-24 23:23:33

meowmeow55
Scratcher

So, most of you probably know by now that the Bukkit team has been hired by Mojang and are now hard at work making an API for Minecraft. (If you don't, you really ought to be keeping up with this sort of stuff. Read here and here for the "official" news. You'll see why I used quotes around that word in a little while.)

So, that's cool and all, right? Mojang makes an official API, plugins can be updated as soon as an update comes out and not have to wait for a mod API to update, and everybody's happy. Right? Wrong! obvious hint is obvious

First of all, it's going to be heck porting all the Bukkit plugins over to the new Mojang API. The new API will be nothing like Bukkit, as the Bukkit team can't just "move" their project into Minecraft. "Why?" you ask. "Bukkit was such an awesome project! They're sure not gonna chuck it out!" Well, guess what? They have to. The Bukkit API is licensed under the GNU Public License (GPL), which disallows use of the code in closed-source projects unless everyone who contributed to it gives permission. But there's no way all these people are gonna be giving permission. It's just not feasible.

Not to mention CraftBukkit (the server part of the Bukkit project) is "technically" illegal, since it includes the copyrighted Minecraft server code. So, after a year of looking the other way, Mojang just went ahead and hired the Bukkit folks, leaving this issue in the dust.

Oh, and there most likely won't be a Bukkit compatibility plugin for this new API, either, making it even more painful.

So, once you've read those two posts I linked above, now read the Spout newspost on the same subject. Now you've got a whole different view from the Bukkit and Mojang folks (pretty much the same one I'm trying to convey), and citations to back it up (so if you find yourself contesting what I'm saying, go see if Afforess mentioned it there, and click on the link). Bukkit's a zombie now; it'll be maintained for a little while, but once the Mojang API is up and running, bam! out Bukkit goes. (Unless someone decides to pick it up, of course, but that's not likely.)

Now what does Spout have to do with this? Well, just a few months ago, the Spout team decided to start writing their own Minecraft server from scratch (well, forked from the Glowstone project, but that was from scratch too). This means no Notch code to have legal issues with! (The team gets all their info from Minecraft Wiki documentation and protocol specs, so they're not even looking at the source code.) Eventually, they decided that all the Minecraft-related API and protocol/mobs/etc. would go into a plugin dubbed Vanilla (to keep the trademarked name "Minecraft" out of it), and Spout would be a voxel generic server that anyone could port any game to. And they're actually getting somewhere with it!

But enough ranting about Spout. The point is, they are actually going to have a BukkitBridge plugin, so the Spout server will be a good option for those who wish to easily transfer their server over once Bukkit goes under.

Also, this new API will be closed source, of course, since Minecraft itself is. Not a big deal, you think? Take a look at the list of Bukkit contributors again. (Oh yeah, and here's the CraftBukkit contributors too.) Bukkit wouldn't be even close to what it is today without the help of those people. With the new API being closed source, all that help is gone. The Bukkit team did turn down some pull requests for strange reasons, but at least there was a significant amount of help from the community. But when you have a closed-source project, you have no outside assistance. If you're a plugin dev and you find a bug in the new API, you won't be able to just report it on Github and/or fix it yourself. That had the bug fixed in probably under a week. Now, you will have to rely on a probably not-frequently-checked ticket system (look at this!) and maybe wait months for your bug to be fixed!

So, to sum it all up (i.e. TL;DR  roll ): The transfer to the new Minecraft server API from Bukkit is going to be far from painless. If any of you were around for the Hey0 to Bukkit transition (not me!  tongue ), you know what I mean; it's going to be much the same thing. The Bukkit team is starting over because of licensing issues, and the way the API is designed is completely and wholly their decision (which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it).  I highly recommend reading at least a smattering of the comments on the Spout and/or Bukkit newsposts, and also the licensing discussion thread on the Spout forum if you want to go even deeper into the subject. (There are probably numerous other places to look, most likely in the Bukkit forum, but I'll leave it up to you to find those. Well, okay, here's another thread.)

Anyways, apologies for the excruciatingly long-winded post! Just really felt like I needed to get this side of the story out there. Personally, I'm probably gonna go with Spout when it's released. How about you?

Yawn.

#6182 2012-03-24 23:28:49

backspace_
Scratcher

meowmeow55 wrote:

So, most of you probably know by now that the Bukkit team has been hired by Mojang and are now hard at work making an API for Minecraft. (If you don't, you really ought to be keeping up with this sort of stuff. Read here and here for the "official" news. You'll see why I used quotes around that word in a little while.)

So, that's cool and all, right? Mojang makes an official API, plugins can be updated as soon as an update comes out and not have to wait for a mod API to update, and everybody's happy. Right? Wrong! obvious hint is obvious

First of all, it's going to be heck porting all the Bukkit plugins over to the new Mojang API. The new API will be nothing like Bukkit, as the Bukkit team can't just "move" their project into Minecraft. "Why?" you ask. "Bukkit was such an awesome project! They're sure not gonna chuck it out!" Well, guess what? They have to. The Bukkit API is licensed under the GNU Public License (GPL), which disallows use of the code in closed-source projects unless everyone who contributed to it gives permission. But there's no way all these people are gonna be giving permission. It's just not feasible.

Not to mention CraftBukkit (the server part of the Bukkit project) is "technically" illegal, since it includes the copyrighted Minecraft server code. So, after a year of looking the other way, Mojang just went ahead and hired the Bukkit folks, leaving this issue in the dust.

Oh, and there most likely won't be a Bukkit compatibility plugin for this new API, either, making it even more painful.

So, once you've read those two posts I linked above, now read the Spout newspost on the same subject. Now you've got a whole different view from the Bukkit and Mojang folks (pretty much the same one I'm trying to convey), and citations to back it up (so if you find yourself contesting what I'm saying, go see if Afforess mentioned it there, and click on the link). Bukkit's a zombie now; it'll be maintained for a little while, but once the Mojang API is up and running, bam! out Bukkit goes. (Unless someone decides to pick it up, of course, but that's not likely.)

Now what does Spout have to do with this? Well, just a few months ago, the Spout team decided to start writing their own Minecraft server from scratch (well, forked from the Glowstone project, but that was from scratch too). This means no Notch code to have legal issues with! (The team gets all their info from Minecraft Wiki documentation and protocol specs, so they're not even looking at the source code.) Eventually, they decided that all the Minecraft-related API and protocol/mobs/etc. would go into a plugin dubbed Vanilla (to keep the trademarked name "Minecraft" out of it), and Spout would be a voxel generic server that anyone could port any game to. And they're actually getting somewhere with it!

But enough ranting about Spout. The point is, they are actually going to have a BukkitBridge plugin, so the Spout server will be a good option for those who wish to easily transfer their server over once Bukkit goes under.

Also, this new API will be closed source, of course, since Minecraft itself is. Not a big deal, you think? Take a look at the list of Bukkit contributors again. (Oh yeah, and here's the CraftBukkit contributors too.) Bukkit wouldn't be even close to what it is today without the help of those people. With the new API being closed source, all that help is gone. The Bukkit team did turn down some pull requests for strange reasons, but at least there was a significant amount of help from the community. But when you have a closed-source project, you have no outside assistance. If you're a plugin dev and you find a bug in the new API, you won't be able to just report it on Github and/or fix it yourself. That had the bug fixed in probably under a week. Now, you will have to rely on a probably not-frequently-checked ticket system (look at this!) and maybe wait months for your bug to be fixed!

So, to sum it all up (i.e. TL;DR  roll ): The transfer to the new Minecraft server API from Bukkit is going to be far from painless. If any of you were around for the Hey0 to Bukkit transition (not me!  tongue ), you know what I mean; it's going to be much the same thing. The Bukkit team is starting over because of licensing issues, and the way the API is designed is completely and wholly their decision (which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it).  I highly recommend reading at least a smattering of the comments on the Spout and/or Bukkit newsposts, and also the licensing discussion thread on the Spout forum if you want to go even deeper into the subject. (There are probably numerous other places to look, most likely in the Bukkit forum, but I'll leave it up to you to find those. Well, okay, here's another thread.)

Anyways, apologies for the excruciatingly long-winded post! Just really felt like I needed to get this side of the story out there. Personally, I'm probably gonna go with Spout when it's released. How about you?

you really went to town on this bukkit rant man :]

Your tiny hands
Your crazy kitten smile

#6183 2012-03-24 23:31:13

agscratcher
Scratcher

meowmeow55 wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't reach the length limit.

http://narwhaler.com/img/yu/5/no-barrel-i-insist-after-you-spiderman-yU5Ua7.jpg

#6184 2012-03-24 23:32:42

soupoftomato
Scratcher

agscratcher wrote:

meowmeow55 wrote:

The length limit is actually much longer, though I believe the longest technical term ever took something of 7 times that once when someone posted it.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#6185 2012-03-24 23:45:32

samtwheels
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

agscratcher wrote:

meowmeow55 wrote:

BlahBlah Really long post.  tongue

The length limit is actually much longer, though I believe the longest technical term ever took something of 7 times that once when someone posted it.

Why are you quoting it?

#6186 2012-03-24 23:48:02

soupoftomato
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

agscratcher wrote:

Why are you quoting it?

Is fun.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#6187 2012-03-25 00:23:32

samtwheels
Scratcher

I'm playing SkyBlock now.

#6188 2012-03-25 00:40:13

Ecliptic
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

SkyBlock mainly consists of the player mindlessly mining cobblestone from a generator.

If you can read this you are in range.

#6189 2012-03-25 05:04:14

werdna123
Scratcher

Ecliptic wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

SkyBlock mainly consists of the player mindlessly mining cobblestone from a generator.

Who the flip cares, it's fun.  big_smile

#6190 2012-03-25 06:37:54

WindowsExplorer
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

fireheartocean wrote:

Minecrafters who post videos on YouTube (rather hilarious, but they swear(Like, alot.))

http://i.imgur.com/H6LLdnK.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/VYuD7BY.png

#6191 2012-03-25 07:31:55

slinger
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

What is "SkyBlock"?
Nevermind, I found it. It looks cool  smile

Last edited by slinger (2012-03-25 07:37:48)

http://s0.bcbits.com/img/buttons/bandcamp_130x27_blue.png

#6192 2012-03-25 07:44:27

WindowsExplorer
Scratcher

slinger wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

What is "SkyBlock"?

I got to the nether in it  smile

#6193 2012-03-25 08:28:05

werdna123
Scratcher

I play Skyblock a bunch, here's my world:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cy5pt.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/2cy5pt.png

#6194 2012-03-25 08:30:17

werdna123
Scratcher

I have the most amazing cobblestone generator on it, I worked for ages on it. So basically you stand where the cobblestone spawns, and just look down and keep breaking (there are protection rails so you don't go in the lava). Since you're inside it, you very rarely lose stone to the lava, but if it falls in the other directions, it'll go into a waterway system, which send all the lost stone to a collection point in front of the generator. It also has a furnace under the spawned stone, so you can hold down the mouse to break the cobbie without breaking the block beneath it.

Last edited by werdna123 (2012-03-25 08:30:59)

#6195 2012-03-25 08:34:10

16Skittles
Scratcher

WindowsExplorer wrote:

slinger wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

What is "SkyBlock"?

how? There's a small amount of lava, not enough!

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#6196 2012-03-25 09:16:23

WindowsExplorer
Scratcher

16Skittles wrote:

WindowsExplorer wrote:

slinger wrote:

What is "SkyBlock"?

Reuse.

@werdna: My cobble stone gen is very simple, and GUARENTEED not to lose any.

#6197 2012-03-25 09:18:15

slinger
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

I have the most amazing cobblestone generator on it, I worked for ages on it. So basically you stand where the cobblestone spawns, and just look down and keep breaking (there are protection rails so you don't go in the lava). Since you're inside it, you very rarely lose stone to the lava, but if it falls in the other directions, it'll go into a waterway system, which send all the lost stone to a collection point in front of the generator. It also has a furnace under the spawned stone, so you can hold down the mouse to break the cobbie without breaking the block beneath it.

sounds amazing  smile

http://s0.bcbits.com/img/buttons/bandcamp_130x27_blue.png

#6198 2012-03-25 13:23:57

werdna123
Scratcher

WindowsExplorer wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

WindowsExplorer wrote:

Reuse.

@werdna: My cobble stone gen is very simple, and GUARENTEED not to lose any.

How does it work?

#6199 2012-03-25 15:19:47

Agg725
Scratcher

Lol my brother plays minecraft. It looks really fun. I'm even working on a "Minecraft Survival Guide" XD

http://i.imgur.com/LIoxG.png

#6200 2012-03-25 21:23:01

samtwheels
Scratcher

Agg725 wrote:

Lol my brother plays minecraft. It looks really fun. I'm even working on a "Minecraft Survival Guide" XD

If your writing a guide, you should buy it. Experience is better than watching a brother.

Board footer