This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#426 2012-02-25 12:52:11

scimonster
Community Moderator

Re: Links to Member-created Websites

What if someone sets up a forum somewhere, and then moves it to a different domain, keeping all the same databases and system. Does this count as a new forum or the same one?
Now, more complicatedly, what if someone creates a forum using one system, but after a while, they switch to a whole new system. Does this count as a new one or the same one?

#427 2012-02-25 16:07:50

wolvesstar97
Scratcher

wolvesstar97 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

wolvesstar97 wrote:

Is the Scratch Team still approving websites? Because I still want [link removed by moderator] approved.

I have a forum, but it is strictly "mordorated" (my LOTR pun of moderated.. heheh!). Nobody posts on the forums anyways.

Nice looking site!  But the earliest post I can find only dates back to December 21st - so it won't be eligible for approval until March 21st.  This is to give you time to shake all the bugs out of the system and get some experience with it before you "go public".

ihaveamac wrote:

I would like to have my MC server's forums approved (reported post with link).

Looks good to me - I've added it to the list  smile

The site was up before the first post.  I'll check on weebly to see when it was made.

Found it--  Nov. 11, 2011.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551365/psyko.png

#428 2012-03-01 04:40:58

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

scimonster wrote:

What if someone sets up a forum somewhere, and then moves it to a different domain, keeping all the same databases and system. Does this count as a new forum or the same one?
Now, more complicatedly, what if someone creates a forum using one system, but after a while, they switch to a whole new system. Does this count as a new one or the same one?

It sounds like you are trying to make my life more complicated  smile

Let's try and get it back to simple - if the admin accounts date back to more the 3 months old and there are a reasonable number of posts to show that there has been some activity on the site, then we are probably going to say it passes the 3 month rule.  So if you move a forum from one structure to another, and preserve the data, you are probably going to pass. 

Clearly, such a simple test lends itself to gaming - but it's good enough to separate out the complete new-comers to forums from those who have some experience and hopefully know what they are doing.  And that's the intent - to make sure that the forum and the people running it have been tested a bit before they "go public" on Scratch.

Hope that helps  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#429 2012-03-01 06:41:45

scimonster
Community Moderator

Paddle2See wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Let's try and get it back to simple - if the admin accounts date back to more the 3 months old and there are a reasonable number of posts to show that there has been some activity on the site, then we are probably going to say it passes the 3 month rule.  So if you move a forum from one structure to another, and preserve the data, you are probably going to pass. 

Clearly, such a simple test lends itself to gaming - but it's good enough to separate out the complete new-comers to forums from those who have some experience and hopefully know what they are doing.  And that's the intent - to make sure that the forum and the people running it have been tested a bit before they "go public" on Scratch.

Hope that helps  smile

Lol.

Slinger, ProgrammingFreak, and I are developing a site called Coders' Shed, which is basically a place for coders too hang out and help each other.  We started out a few days ago by installing FluxBB, but eventually we plan to develop the back-end ourselves. There's a thread down in MAC about it, and it includes a link to the static part of the site. Until the three months are over, there will be no links from there to the forums.  smile
Thanks for the answer!

#430 2012-03-02 18:40:35

RedRocker227
Scratcher

It's actually quite amazing, the amount of people that don't notice the "don't include the link to your site in the post" bit.

Last edited by RedRocker227 (2012-03-03 11:21:12)

Why

#431 2012-03-03 14:06:09

lallaway12
Scratcher

I would want to post ****************

thanks for your time

Last edited by lallaway12 (2012-03-03 14:10:33)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2re4ied.png

#432 2012-03-03 15:37:04

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

lallaway12 wrote:

thanks for your time

Hi lallaway12 - nice site!  But it looks like it was created very recently.  One of the requirements listed on the first post of this topic (please read them all) is that all sites must be at least 3 months old.  Please apply later after you have met all the requirements  smile

#433 2012-03-03 18:34:42

imnotbob
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

It's actually quite amazing, the amount of people that don't notice the "don't include the link to your site in the post" bit.

I know right???

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#434 2012-03-04 02:56:16

lallaway12
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

lallaway12 wrote:

thanks for your time

Hi lallaway12 - nice site!  But it looks like it was created very recently.  One of the requirements listed on the first post of this topic (please read them all) is that all sites must be at least 3 months old.  Please apply later after you have met all the requirements  smile

OK but Only I will be the admin because I broke the admin controls but it is perfect can you just shere the link because after 1 month I need mods

P.S. If the scrath team join they will be called the scratch team Tee Hee hee

http://i49.tinypic.com/2re4ied.png

#435 2012-03-04 16:31:59

bobbybee
Scratcher

One of the rules say the I'm the only person allowed to change the site. I'm on a collab that has a website--may I interpret this rule as only members of the collab are allowed to change the site?

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#436 2012-03-04 18:01:56

imnotbob
Scratcher

I was thinking about the three month rule. Maybe a moderator or Scratch Team member could overlook that if they think the forum is:

-made well
-appropriate
-moderated well

Just a thought  smile

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#437 2012-03-04 18:11:08

RedRocker227
Scratcher

I agree, that'd be good. And TBH three months is way too long anyway, in my honest opinion.

Why

#438 2012-03-05 00:13:30

Wickimen
Scratcher

Okay hi I made a website
It already has 8 members aside from me, though they're mostly inactive
I made the website January 6, and I coincidentally just thought of the site again today, March 3, exactly 3 months later  yikes
It has a forum, but if more people join I'll have mods and stuff
There is also a chatbox, which I have the ability to moderate and let the mods moderate (what a well-constructed sentence that was!), but if it's a problem I could of course remove it
The point is to share writing and stuff, but also just talk in general
There is a no-offensive-language-and-images policy clearly written in the rules, as well as no religion and politics and other sensitive issues allowed to be discussed on the forums
Okay
That's all  smile

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#439 2012-03-06 08:02:13

Alternatives
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

Okay hi I made a website
I made the website January 6, and I coincidentally just thought of the site again today, March 3, exactly 3 months later  yikes
There is also a chatbox, which I have the ability to moderate and let the mods moderate (what a well-constructed sentence that was!), but if it's a problem I could of course remove it
There is a no-offensive-language-and-images policy clearly written in the rules, as well as no religion and politics and other sensitive issues allowed to be discussed on the forums
Okay
That's all  smile

It'll be 3 months on April 6.

Also, jji7skyline's website is under 3 months and he's been advertising in his sig.
>:I

http://i42.tinypic.com/98vmms.png
Well if you wanted honesty, that's all you had to say. I never want to let you down or have you go, it's better off this way.

#440 2012-03-06 08:20:44

slinger
Scratcher

Yeah but his has no forums ;p

http://s0.bcbits.com/img/buttons/bandcamp_130x27_blue.png

#441 2012-03-06 18:14:08

Wickimen
Scratcher

Alternatives wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

Okay hi I made a website
Okay
That's all  smile

It'll be 3 months on April 6.

Dangit, you're right, I'd forgotten to even check
Didn't they change the rules though?
Eh nevermind the site is slightly suckish anyhow

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#442 2012-03-07 08:05:43

Alternatives
Scratcher

slinger wrote:

Doesn't it? I automatically think forum when I see punbb.

http://i42.tinypic.com/98vmms.png
Well if you wanted honesty, that's all you had to say. I never want to let you down or have you go, it's better off this way.

#443 2012-03-07 10:34:48

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Alternatives wrote:

slinger wrote:

Uh what? How is this PunBB?...

Why

#444 2012-03-07 10:47:39

stevetheipad
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

Alternatives wrote:

slinger wrote:

No, he was advertising his site, not that one. It has a forums tab but it doesn't actually have a forum on it, so it doesn't have to be approved here.  wink

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#445 2012-03-07 10:49:16

RedRocker227
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

Alternatives wrote:

No, he was advertising his site, not that one. It has a forums tab but it doesn't actually have a forum on it, so it doesn't have to be approved here.  wink

No but that's the only site that jji7skyline links to in his/her sig.

Why

#446 2012-03-08 15:41:13

cocolover76
Scratcher

My forum finally should be approved.
Remember, the link I will report is moved from PunBB-Hosting to Sharkserve to Invision Free.
EDIT:I'm completely sure it will be approved once Paddle notices, so I will post it even though it isn't approved yet.

Last edited by cocolover76 (2012-03-08 15:49:37)

http://i.imgur.com/HfEPZ.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/pvKb6.png

#447 2012-03-08 16:10:15

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

cocolover76 wrote:

Remember, the link I will report is moved from PunBB-Hosting to Sharkserve to Invision Free.
EDIT:I'm completely sure it will be approved once Paddle notices, so I will post it even though it isn't approved yet.

You forum looks much too new. Please be aware that forums need to be up for at least three months before they can be approved. A list of requirements for forum approval can be found on the first post of this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#448 2012-03-08 18:48:09

zippynk
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

cocolover76 wrote:

You forum looks much too new. Please be aware that forums need to be up for at least three months before they can be approved. A list of requirements for forum approval can be found on the first post of this thread.

This is where it gets complicated.

Their forum was up for about 3 months, but PunBB Hosting deleted it for inactivity, so they moved it to a different host and a different BB system.

Personally, I think that it's ok to let them advertise it, as long as they set it up on PunBB hosting 3 months ago.

I'm not a mod, though. Just giving my opinion.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60598636/trifocal_interlude_soundcloud_button.png

#449 2012-03-09 00:18:06

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

zippynk wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

cocolover76 wrote:

This is where it gets complicated.

Their forum was up for about 3 months, but PunBB Hosting deleted it for inactivity, so they moved it to a different host and a different BB system.

Personally, I think that it's ok to let them advertise it, as long as they set it up on PunBB hosting 3 months ago.

I'm not a mod, though. Just giving my opinion.

The problem is that the forum is starting off fresh, so it looks new and unestablished again; given it's new fresh start, it's hard to say that this new forum is just as well structured and established as the old one.

Paddle gave some sort of reply on this before, it kind of hints that, when forum hopping, forums that show some proof of previous and well-established activity is better when it comes to approval:

Paddle2See wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Hope that helps  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#450 2012-03-09 04:48:58

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

wolvesstar97 wrote:

Is the Scratch Team still approving websites? Because I still want [link removed by moderator] approved.

I have a forum, but it is strictly "mordorated" (my LOTR pun of moderated.. heheh!). Nobody posts on the forums anyways.

Regarding your request - the forums appear to have been established on
Dec 21, 2011 - so the earliest they can be approved is Mar 21st, 2012 (the 3 month rule).  The forums are the major concern so the fact that the rest of the site is older doesn't make any difference.  Please be sure you have read the security guidelines mentioned in the first post as well.  Just drop us another reminder in 12 days and you'll be in business  smile

Board footer