This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-02-26 14:22:49

Kresinho
Scratcher

Re: No Religion Related Avatars

ImagineIt wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

lunarman42 wrote:

I noticed how many people on Scratch have an avatar talking about god and how you should believe in him. I'm Christian, but I don't really go to church or anything, and I don't disrespect him. But I believe that there are MANY other Scratchers who are not Christian, and find that avatar offensive.

I think that religion related avatars should be banned, mainly because bringing up religion (or politics) can cause a huge argument, and sometimes an end to a friendship.

What are your thoughts?

If you say you don't really go to church or anything, you, my friend, are not a Christian. Think about it.

Just because you don't go to church doesn't make you not Christian. If you believe in the word of the Christian Bible, then you are Christian.

I didn't say he's not Cristian because he's not going to church, I put stress on the whole sentence and the way he said it. "but I don't really go to church or anything". When you say something like that "... or anything", I can see you are not a Christian.

Last edited by Kresinho (2012-02-26 15:18:08)

Get busy living, or get busy dying.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DV9pqgeDCnY/TNQ5yfQmfiI/AAAAAAAAAC8/ZUbppXRCUas/s1600/hrvatska.jpg

#27 2012-02-26 15:09:46

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

If you say you don't really go to church or anything, you, my friend, are not a Christian. Think about it.

Just because you don't go to church doesn't make you not Christian. If you believe in the word of the Christian Bible, then you are Christian.

I didn't say he's not Cristian because he's not going to church, I put stress on the whole sentence and the way he said it. "but I don't really go to church or anything". When you say something like that "... or anything", you are not a Christian.

Oh! Some people just put that after things for some reason.

#28 2012-02-26 21:59:48

Mokat
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

I didn't say he's not Cristian because he's not going to church, I put stress on the whole sentence and the way he said it. "but I don't really go to church or anything". When you say something like that "... or anything", I can see you are not a Christian.

Guys, we're not really supposed to talk about our religion on Scratch...  hmm

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#29 2012-02-26 22:11:25

nic51
Scratcher

lunarman42 wrote:

I noticed how many people on Scratch have an avatar talking about god and how you should believe in him. I'm Christian, but I don't really go to church or anything, and I don't disrespect him. But I believe that there are MANY other Scratchers who are not Christian, and find that avatar offensive.

I think that religion related avatars should be banned, mainly because bringing up religion (or politics) can cause a huge argument, and sometimes an end to a friendship.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah I agree with what ur saying but im not christian, im catholic (dont go to church  sad   roll  (i do bleave in god and jesus though) ) and i think that those should be banned as well and i think ur right 'bout those pics. bringing up an argument scratch on  tongue    lol    cool

Last edited by nic51 (2012-02-26 22:12:43)

#30 2012-02-26 22:39:29

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

veggieman001 wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

So, we can't share our beliefes, whatever they are, at all, because it has the potential to make someone angry?

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying that I am/not religious, but I am pointing out that the Internet is a free place, a tool where you can share your thoughts. Banning users for having a religious icon, seems like censoring the web, what the US was trying to stop when SOPA was around.  hmm

But discussion of religion is generally disallowed on Scratch, because there are so many differing beliefs and they don't want anyone to get hurt. They have blanket bans on some topics for this reason.

Actually, it's just disallowed on the forums; past experience with those types of topics show that they can generally go out of control in a forum environment very quickly no matter how much moderation there is.

Anybody is actually quite free to make a project about it and upload it to the main site so long as the project is respectful towards others. The same can be said of some other topics such as politics and sexual orientation.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2012-02-26 22:41:58)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#31 2012-02-26 22:40:12

veggieman001
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

So, we can't share our beliefes, whatever they are, at all, because it has the potential to make someone angry?

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying that I am/not religious, but I am pointing out that the Internet is a free place, a tool where you can share your thoughts. Banning users for having a religious icon, seems like censoring the web, what the US was trying to stop when SOPA was around.  hmm

But discussion of religion is generally disallowed on Scratch, because there are so many differing beliefs and they don't want anyone to get hurt. They have blanket bans on some topics for this reason.

Actually, it's just disallowed on the forums; past experience with those types of topics show that they can generally go out of control in a forum environment.

Anybody is actually quite free to make a project about it and upload it to the main site so long as the project is respectful towards others. The same can be said of some other topics such as politics and sexual orientation.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.  smile

#32 2012-02-26 23:01:05

trinary
Scratcher

It's generally best not to post inappropriate, offensive, or suggestive threads.

http://trinary.tk/images/signature_.php

#33 2012-02-26 23:01:58

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

veggieman001 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Actually, it's just disallowed on the forums; past experience with those types of topics show that they can generally go out of control in a forum environment.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.  smile

You're welcome. The notion that just because some topics aren't allowed on the forums means that they also apply to the main site is something that has to change as it's simply not true. Scratch can be a great medium for expressing diversity and opinion - a Scratch project just does that a lot better than a forum topic ever would given how wild the forums can be sometimes.

==========
Regarding the avatar issue, I think RedRocker227's initial post on this topic probably says it best. It's great to have people proud of what makes them who they are, be it religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, culture, etc. and there isn't anything wrong should they choose to express it in an avatar. Once we get into the world of prosthelytism and saying one is better than the other, then that falls into a realm of disrespect that is clearly not allowed around here (let alone anywhere).

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#34 2012-02-27 05:42:39

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Let me see if I can boil this down...It's okay to have an avatar that says who you are and what you believe - as long as it doesn't put down other people in any way. 

So it's okay to say in your avatar or signature "I'm a SteveJobist" (an invented religion by the way).  It's less okay to say "I'm a SteveJobist - and you should be one too".  It's definitely not okay to say "Become a SteveJobist because the other religions are wrong".

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#35 2012-02-27 06:30:36

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Let me see if I can boil this down...It's okay to have an avatar that says who you are and what you believe - as long as it doesn't put down other people in any way. 

So it's okay to say in your avatar or signature "I'm a SteveJobist" (an invented religion by the way).  It's less okay to say "I'm a SteveJobist - and you should be one too".  It's definitely not okay to say "Become a SteveJobist because the other religions are wrong".

Nice boiling down! I've seen avatars like "I'm a SteveJobist", but definitely not the latter ones.  hmm

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#36 2012-02-27 08:41:41

Liru
Scratcher

Well, I disagree with ones saying "I believe in n, you should too", I know Scratch is a place to share opinions and such, but trying to convert people on it is just wrong and will just cause arguments.

#37 2012-02-27 12:47:52

schusteralex2
Scratcher

So, no missionary foruming  tongue

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uj37ds.gif

#38 2012-02-29 09:06:10

jedidiahzhu
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

lunarman42 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Actually, that's only part of it. Some people BELIEVE in the Christian Bible, but they continue to go against God. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

So what you really need to do is to accept Jesus Christ as your savior.

#39 2012-02-29 09:08:49

jedidiahzhu
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

Well, I disagree with ones saying "I believe in n, you should too", I know Scratch is a place to share opinions and such, but trying to convert people on it is just wrong and will just cause arguments.

Arguments aren't always bad, you know. If somebody wants somebody else to know something because he or she believes that people who know it will be happy, that's a good thing, right?

The same goes with religion. People (including me) believe that anybody who believes in their religion will go to heaven, etc. So religious people try to persuade others to their religion.

#40 2012-02-29 09:24:55

Mokat
Scratcher

jedidiahzhu wrote:

Liru wrote:

Arguments aren't always bad, you know. If somebody wants somebody else to know something because he or she believes that people who know it will be happy, that's a good thing, right?

The same goes with religion. People (including me) believe that anybody who believes in their religion will go to heaven, etc. So religious people try to persuade others to their religion.

Exactly. Why should we make the person with the Religion related Avatar to be mad when they shouldn't have to be? Maybe there should be an ignore button for Avatars.

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#41 2012-02-29 09:58:17

veggieman001
Scratcher

guys if you dont want to see an avatar just adblock it

#42 2012-02-29 15:12:06

G0D_M0D3
Scratcher

Don't flame me.

I don't have a religion/belief/whatever you call it.

I'm fine with these images. In fact, I'm happy people are showing who they are. Now if you say "My religion is better blah blah blah blah" then, yeah, it shoud be banned. But the image in question says "He died for you, why not live for him?" It's giving you a choice, not saying, "He died for you, so live for him, or die also."

On the other hand, they have banned 'discussing who you are' in the past (LGBT, anyone?)

So, I'm kinda half-half on this whole thing.

Let's see with the mods have to say (once they post, that is).

Edit: Also, let's not turn this into a religion troll/flame war, or we'll have to get the ban hammers again.

Last edited by G0D_M0D3 (2012-02-29 15:13:11)

I made a MC texture pack! Get it at planetminecraft!
http://i.imgur.com/0EG0u.png

#43 2012-02-29 16:19:14

Luke121
Scratcher

As long as it's not "Oh my beliefs are true and your aren't LOL" it should be allowed. We have forums forum expressing yourself and who you are, as is the Scratch site in general, and I believe it's selfish to ruin someone else's time of something just because you see eye to eye with them.

Last edited by Luke121 (2012-02-29 16:20:01)

http://bit.ly/IlVuB5
Sorry PF, too lazy to make my own!  tongue

#44 2012-02-29 16:25:11

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

On the other hand, they have banned 'discussing who you are' in the past (LGBT, anyone?)

No they haven't, it's just discouraged on the forums because the forums are wild (read my previous posts on this topic). Religious topics and political topics aren't allowed on the forum for that same reason, too. You're still free to talk about LGBT, religion, and politics on the main site.  wink

Last edited by cheddargirl (2012-02-29 16:26:05)

#45 2012-02-29 16:31:07

bobbybee
Scratcher

What are you saying? I'm a SteveWozniakist  smile

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#46 2012-02-29 17:08:36

mewkid
Scratcher

I don't see what people shouldn't have that freedom. I am constantly active on a site where every little icon or word about religion is breaking the rules. I am not a religious person, In fact, I am not even christian. But even though that site is great and fun, the restriction on religion makes it kind of depressing, because everything is the same. I love meeting new people and hearing about their beliefs! Personally, I think it should stay. That's my belief.

#47 2012-02-29 17:50:32

pietestaccount1234
Scratcher

why should we? it's a free country. if we had this it would be like s.o.p.a. and p.i.p.a. were passed but for Avatars!

#48 2012-02-29 17:54:40

Greenatic
Scratcher

I'm a Jewish person who (with due reason) flinches every time I see one of the numerous "Join us!", "We're right!", or "You should do this religious thing!" avatars or projects (such as the one in question--"He died for you. Why not live for him?").  I think the Scratch Team is far too lenient on this issue.  Projects on the main site have the same potential to offend as rampant forum posts, if not more (due to the virtual impossibility to auto-filter them, and the extended communicative abilities granted to them by graphics and animation).  I feel the Scratch Team is taking a shaky stance along a fuzzy line, and that this is, perhaps, an universally improvised position on controversial issues (LGBT, religion, politics).  I would love to see the Scratch Team take a definite stance with some actual logic behind it.

(I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh, but I have strong personal convictions on this issue.)

Last edited by Greenatic (2012-02-29 17:57:20)

#49 2012-02-29 18:01:57

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Being atheist, I am completely against anything, avatars included, that tries to convert you or say you're wrong.  I don't like the "He died for you, why not live for him," thing because it basically says "He was a martyr, I think you should live to believe in his belief." That's trying to convert us.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#50 2012-02-29 18:06:50

Greenatic
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Being atheist, I am completely against anything, avatars included, that tries to convert you or say you're wrong.  I don't like the "He died for you, why not live for him," thing because it basically says "He was a martyr, I think you should live to believe in his belief." That's trying to convert us.

^Beautifully said.  Respect our rights to our beliefs.  If you think we're going to burn for eternity and you truly want to be merciful, leave us alone and let us actually enjoy our lives instead of screaming "Pagan!  Pagan!  You'll burn forever if you don't accept the cross!".  That's ignoring the numerous reasons that the idea of "hell" makes no sense in the first place, but it would contradict my point to discuss that here...   tongue

Refer to the last part of my previous post.

Greenatic wrote:

(I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh, but I have strong personal convictions on this issue.)

Board footer