This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#301 2012-02-19 16:41:59

werdna123
Scratcher

Re: Forum post counts now shown in levels

Paddle2See wrote:

scimonster wrote:

And veggie, why do you keep posting your post count? Isn't that kind of defeating this?  neutral

Perhaps he's trying to convince us to remove the post count everywhere...not just on the public display?

Haha, that's a good way of trying to convince you actually.

I'm at 6602 posts, by the way.

#302 2012-02-19 16:55:44

veggieman001
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

scimonster wrote:

And veggie, why do you keep posting your post count? Isn't that kind of defeating this?  neutral

Perhaps he's trying to convince us to remove the post count everywhere...not just on the public display?

This is my 13249th ^^

#303 2012-02-19 16:59:39

videogame9
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

This is my 13249th ^^

This is my 1625th!

It's not as big a number as yours.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4118/newvg9logo.png
QUOTE OF THE RIGHT NOW: why are we arguing about dead babies? -videogame9

#304 2012-02-19 17:08:31

veggieman001
Scratcher

videogame9 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

This is my 13249th ^^

This is my 1625th!

It's not as big a number as yours.

Quite

#305 2012-02-19 17:25:38

RedRocker227
Scratcher

This is my 6227th! Just thought I'd, you know, continue the chain.

Why

#306 2012-02-19 17:50:28

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Liru wrote:

By the way, where are you finding all this spam?

They usually occur in random spots on the forums.

One example is when some posts something along the lines of "this is my _th post", or "congrats on your _th" post to another user.

Another examples are less obvious person will try to post as much as he/she can. This can be done via posting several threads at once, or posting in the other languages forums via Google translate, or bumping old threads, or commenting irrelevant posts on threads. Often times, when questioned about it, the post count inflation is one of the reasons for posting so much in a short amount of time (the other being that they want to try and dominate the forums such that their name appears almost everywhere, but that issue is already somewhat tempered by the time posting limit).

They're usually removed quickly, though, which is probably why you haven't been seeing a lot of them.

Though when some of us go to the other language forums and post using Google Translate, a good number of us are trying to help.

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#307 2012-02-19 19:32:01

coolstuff
Community Moderator

SJRCS_011 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Liru wrote:

By the way, where are you finding all this spam?

One example is when some posts something along the lines of "this is my _th post", or "congrats on your _th" post to another user.

Another examples are less obvious person will try to post as much as he/she can. This can be done via posting several threads at once, or posting in the other languages forums via Google translate, or bumping old threads, or commenting irrelevant posts on threads. Often times, when questioned about it, the post count inflation is one of the reasons for posting so much in a short amount of time (the other being that they want to try and dominate the forums such that their name appears almost everywhere, but that issue is already somewhat tempered by the time posting limit).

They're usually removed quickly, though, which is probably why you haven't been seeing a lot of them.

Though when some of us go to the other language forums and post using Google Translate, a good number of us are trying to help.

True, and you're more than welcome to continue doing that. But people who may be doing that for the sake of posting certainly won't have a great deal of motivation anymore.

#308 2012-02-19 19:50:57

jji7skyline
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

True, and you're more than welcome to continue doing that. But people who may be doing that for the sake of posting certainly won't have a great deal of motivation anymore.

But what of newbies? The will want to get the >1000 post badge or whatever  hmm

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#309 2012-02-19 20:34:24

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

jji7skyline wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

It's most likely that the need to get a high post count will stop once that limit is reached.

When post counts were visible, there was kind of some pressure and/or pride in having a large post count to show off. Now since there's a limit and no one can see each other's post count, that kind of takes the pressure off.

Granted the best way to limit the motivations behind post count inflation is to completely hide post counts from view, but at the same time post counts hold the benefits of showing who is an active and long-time member and who is not. A tier system is a balance between the two - though it does not remove the pressure to post so much, it should alleviate the issue a good amount to prevent some post count inflation.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#310 2012-02-19 20:47:23

gabric
Scratcher

Well, I guess that is a smart thing to implement.

http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/i57.1/Found+a+good+server%21/Welcome+to+CupCake+Craft%21/mca.png

#311 2012-02-20 06:53:22

scimonster
Community Moderator

werdna123 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

I've updated my idea:
An Experienced Scratcher level that is given to trusted people who help out lots by mods/ST. This level would fix the problem that people can no longer determine the experience of Scratchers. It would allow the person to only have a 30-second-rule for posting, since there would be little risk of people abusing it to spam.

You might say, then people would spam to try and get ST to notice them and make them Exp. Scratchers, however, the only spam would be to try and help people and answer questions, etcetera.

I really want to see a Mod. or someone in the Scratch Team's opinions on this.

I think this is the only way I could accept completely getting rid of post counts. Great idea, chap.

Thanks! Yeah, I guess it would be good to get rid of the post count entirely if we did that.

And you'd be able to determine the difference between new people, the sort of average person and the experienced/helpful people without needing a post count.

Hmm, I'd still like the post count tiers even with that.  neutral

#312 2012-02-20 09:18:39

Greenatic
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

It's most likely that the need to get a high post count will stop once that limit is reached.

When post counts were visible, there was kind of some pressure and/or pride in having a large post count to show off. Now since there's a limit and no one can see each other's post count, that kind of takes the pressure off.

Granted the best way to limit the motivations behind post count inflation is to completely hide post counts from view, but at the same time post counts hold the benefits of showing who is an active and long-time member and who is not. A tier system is a balance between the two - though it does not remove the pressure to post so much, it should alleviate the issue a good amount to prevent some post count inflation.

But many of us think there should be more tiers after >1000.   hmm

#313 2012-02-20 09:54:05

jslomba
Scratcher

maybe just a <5000 and a <10000 after <1000

the the the the the

#314 2012-02-20 10:22:28

Greenatic
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

maybe just a <5000 and a <10000 after <1000

I think there should be a >2500 and a >7500 as well.   smile

#315 2012-02-20 13:54:21

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Greenatic wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

One of the problem with having higher and higher tiers is that it kind of gives users an extra goal to reach. Cutting it off at a low tier should alleviate some of that pressure.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#316 2012-02-20 14:00:29

scimonster
Community Moderator

cheddargirl wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

One of the problem with having higher and higher tiers is that it kind of gives users an extra goal to reach. Cutting it off at a low tier should alleviate some of that pressure.

I still don't see what was so bad with a bit of competition.  hmm

#317 2012-02-20 14:07:25

scimonster
Community Moderator

Oh nice, it's my 7700th post (it is). The problem is, now people will publicize (like this) whenever they reach a milestone only visible to them.  hmm

Oh, and you got the tiers backwards in the first post.

#318 2012-02-20 14:19:55

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

scimonster wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

The website is for Scratch, not a place to compete for posting counts. By associating posting as some kind of competition, you've already implied that it has become sort of a game to you, which is one of the things that the tier system is trying to discourage.

scimonster wrote:

Oh nice, it's my 7700th post (it is). The problem is, now people will publicize (like this) whenever they reach a milestone only visible to them.  hmm

Well, we'd have to take your word for it though, since no one else but you and those with adminisrator privileges can see it.

#319 2012-02-20 14:27:24

veggieman001
Scratcher

LOL GUYZ GES WUT I GOTS FIFTEEN MILLION POSTS DONT U BELIV ME LOL

#320 2012-02-20 14:28:42

scimonster
Community Moderator

cheddargirl wrote:

scimonster wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

The website is for Scratch, not a place to compete for posting counts. By associating posting as some kind of competition, you've already implied that it has become sort of a game to you, which is one of the things that the tier system is trying to discourage.

scimonster wrote:

Well, we'd have to take your word for it though, since no one else but you and those with adminisrator privileges can see it.

I suppose it has become a game of sorts...

Can regular mods see them?

#321 2012-02-20 16:31:36

Greenatic
Scratcher

This isn't about extra goals.  This is about the fact that the experience difference between 10 and 100 is virtually the same as between >1000 and >5000.

#322 2012-02-20 17:27:11

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

Greenatic wrote:

This isn't about extra goals.  This is about the fact that the experience difference between 10 and 100 is virtually the same as between >1000 and >5000.

not exactly.
When Miscellaneous was around, sometimes there wasn't much of a difference between the two.
Is it me, or does it seem like I'm one of the only people supporting this completely?

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#323 2012-02-20 17:27:52

Greenatic
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

not exactly.
When Miscellaneous was around, sometimes there wasn't much of a difference between the two.
Is it me, or does it seem like I'm one of the only people supporting this completely?

No longer the case.   tongue

Last edited by Greenatic (2012-02-20 17:28:20)

#324 2012-02-20 17:28:18

veggieman001
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

not exactly.

I support this too, and I have the most posts.

#325 2012-02-20 17:51:50

Mokat
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

not exactly.

I support this too, and I have the most posts.

Sigh. Miscellaneous.  sad

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

Board footer