This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#4276 2012-02-01 14:57:55

Servine
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

Hi Lightnin!

I really think I should be the next curator, as I will explain below. I have applied a few times, and I think this application will really win it for me!

My History with Scratch
I first discovered scratch in 2009. I was coming to school in the snow, and entered my first scratch lesson halfway through it. I can still remember what I did. At first, my friend helped me out, showing me how to draw a sprite. I found it a nice and easier to use alternative to Microsoft's Paint Application. Then, our teacher showed us all an example of what is now an extremely basic animation, with a bad frame rate, but was then an amazing discovery for most of us. Sadly, I was not in the amazed part. After seeing the teacher's example, I had an idea (every year in one of the lessons, I try to improve it!) The idea? Jetpack Man! All he would do was fly around with the glide block, animating himself all the time. Sadly, I think that I never actually completed the animation. After that, apart from our final 2 lessons for that year, I never used Scratch again.

Or so I thought. A year later, I was bored at home one day. Somehow, I decided to download Scratch. After noticing that our schools' version was (and still is) 1.1, and the current version was 1.4, I thought there would be better features. However, after the download, I could only notice a few tweaks, and discovered the new blocks later on. So, when I made a REALLY simple animation, with a talking dog promoting Scratch, I noticed a project under the Featured Project tabs. If it wasn't for that one project, my interest in IT/ICT would have took a giant dip. I played it, amazed. I downloaded it, and examined it. After a few days, I started making my own game, a flower growing one. I came across a stump, but the nice Scratchers in the "New Scratchers" forum REALLY helped me. My first game, DONE.

I felt happy, and finished my game in early 2011 (I could probably replicate and improve it now!). Sadly, the oldest game I could remember was Virtual Villagers, a remake. The user "Wedsneday" was especially helpful in my journey, as she helped me understand the list feature. She also contributed the main artwork in my Virtual Villagers remake (found on my oldest account!)

Believe it or not, I actually first showed a fond interest of game making when I was 6. I used PowerPoint, and I realised a week later, I actually had to make a scenario for every possible thing, me chopping off loads of features I had come up with. So, I actually owe thanks to the Scratch Team and all you lovely users who helped me so much, and posted advice topics! Thank-you!

However,(nearly) every person I could remember on scratch has gone! (Bye archmage, o8jackt, ssss!)

I have also been front paged!

Why I think I should be the curator

I'm not going to do the traditional "I have a keen eye for good projects" (even though I do) scenario. I would seriously actually like to be curator because I feel that I actually know a lot of deserving people, who deserve credit. I can remember a few people who are like an undiscovered talent, who are covered by layers of undeserving 5 second animations and pointless project featuring just a mere "Yay." or a Rickroll (honestly, I am getting rick-rolled in PROJECTS now!). I think I should become curator as I think I can lead Scratch onto the right track, by kickstarting the Chosen By section. If people notice the great people out there, those people have a higher chance of continuing their great work, thus replacing the pointless rickrolls, "Yay's" and annoying 5 seconds animations. Eventually, Scratch will become the nice, not trolly place where people who are showing an interest in programming, not trolling, can post!

If I am elected, I am most likely to pick the following genres of projects...

Games
Simulations
Animation
Projects requiring input from the keyboard
Mesh

Thanks Lightnin/ST Admin,
Please seriously consider me!

Your's Sincerely,
Servine

http://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/?name=Servine

#4277 2012-02-01 15:19:03

mazzer25
New Scratcher

Hi can u got scratch on iPod touch I was just wondering

#4278 2012-02-01 15:22:34

Servine
Scratcher

mazzer25 wrote:

You can't now. You could before, until silly Apply said NO. YOU CANT DO THAT. ITS AGAINST OUR POLICIES.

So basically, Apple are jerks.

#4279 2012-02-01 15:29:31

NeilWest
Scratcher

Servine wrote:

(long speech)

I love your speech! I just don't think that Mesh projects should be chosen, not everyone understands Mesh and therefore, won't be able to play the games. But other than that - you added alot of detail and good ideas. I hope you get chosen!

#4280 2012-02-01 15:38:07

Servine
Scratcher

NeilWest wrote:

Servine wrote:

(long speech)

I love your speech! I just don't think that Mesh projects should be chosen, not everyone understands Mesh and therefore, won't be able to play the games. But other than that - you added alot of detail and good ideas. I hope you get chosen!

thanks. I hope I do too!

If you're running, GOOD LUCK!

when gf clicked
if <i am elected>
 be amazed
 say [YES! THANKYOU SO MUCH!]
 think [Half of these blocks are not even real!]

#4281 2012-02-01 20:05:50

dadkid101
Scratcher

I would really love to  be a curator, picking out projects for the front page. I often just randomly browse the site searching for random projects. If I were chosen, I would  often go the the random tab and search for projects. I have been on scratch since early/mid 2011. I often upload projects of all variations. It has been an honor on scratch and I wont quit for a long time. I keep up to date with many scratchers and am online often. Being a curator would be an honor. An now, for a few of projects of my style ( Well the projects come later) My style of projects is like random, because I like many kinds of projects. I enjoy platformers to drawing to OS's. If you read this, pleeeeease consider me to be chosen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile     Dadkid101 Out  tongue

-Dadkid101
http://internetometer.com/image/34674.png

#4282 2012-02-01 20:09:12

dadkid101
Scratcher

Servine wrote:

mazzer25 wrote:

You can't now. You could before, until silly Apply said NO. YOU CANT DO THAT. ITS AGAINST OUR POLICIES.

So basically, Apple are jerks.

You can use Splashtop. It costs money, but if you get on your computer too, you can control the whole computer with your ios device.

-Dadkid101
http://internetometer.com/image/34674.png

#4283 2012-02-02 02:23:56

Yoshiboy
Scratcher

I have no Idea! Its so cool!

scimonster wrote:

Yoshiboy wrote:

How long would the position last? I'm thinking about asking to be one, I don't think I've been on scratch long enough though.  hmm

2 weeks.
How did you get to be a Scratcher already?

Winter...

#4284 2012-02-02 04:04:43

Yoshiboy
Scratcher

Hello, I'm Yoshiboy and I would like to apply to be a scratch curator.

Ever since scimonster showed it to me, almost all I've done on the computer is scratch. I'd love to learn all there is to scratch, including what its like to be a curator and make people happy. Vannilacream curated my project Fruit archer, and I got 1200 views on it in about a week (I think). I was so happy, ever since that I have wanted to be a curator. It makes me feel happy when others are happy because of what I've done. I would curate projects that people have put a lot of work into. I would also like to just give new Scratchers a chance to get noticed. Before I got curated by Vannila, I thought 14 views in 1 hour was incredible. I am horrible at making games that are any good, or projects that make you laugh. So I would like to make up for it by sharing the funny and well-done stuff that others have made. I like animations as well as platformers. I would pick games that are totally original. I would choose projects that can help you learn, like science experiments. It isn't like "I think I should be the next curator because..." there are probably many who can do much better than me. I would also pick really neat pen projects that you can draw with, and I would also choose projects that had something to do with what is currently going on, like Christmas projects at Christmas time.

Please consider me for the next curator.

I hope I get chosen, Thanks  smile

when gf clicked
<if <(answer) = [You are the next curator.]>>
switch to costume [shocked]
think [I never thought I'd get picked!] for (2) secs
change y by [as far as possible]
play sound [YAHOO!!!]
switch to costume [exited]
<repeat until <(breath) = [0]>>
change y by [5000]
change y by [-5000]
<end>
say [I think I'd better take nap] for (5) secs
wait until <(breath) = [full]>
<else>
think [oh well, there is always next time! :D] for (4) secs
<end>

Last edited by Yoshiboy (2012-03-29 05:57:25)

Winter...

#4285 2012-02-02 16:51:06

Xion777
Scratcher

I would really like it if the Scratch Team would allow me to be a curator.
I have a very unique way of looking at a project and I know if something is fun, or entertaining, or great scripting and graphics.

I know what projects to select that would draw the scratchers attention just by looking at the project without even fully opening up the page to view it!

I will select a variety of different projects "I" think should deserve to be front paged, and to lift some of the scratchers spirits.

I hope you agree with me and if you select me to be Scratches curator, GREAT!
If I posted the message in the wrong place, someone let me know.
THANK YOU!

think [Xion777] for (3) secs
[/scratchblocks]

Hope that Worked

Paradiddle

#4286 2012-02-03 02:57:53

Yoshiboy
Scratcher

Xion777 wrote:

(speach)

[/scratchblocks]

Hope that Worked

You need to write [ scratchblocks ] without the spaces before you write the blocks, but you put the right thing at the end.

You can also check to see if it worked by clicking the "Preview" button, then scroll to the top of your browser and a preview of it should be there.

PS: I like your speech.  wink

Last edited by Yoshiboy (2012-02-03 02:58:11)

Winter...

#4287 2012-02-03 10:00:37

technoboy10
Scratcher

Hi, I'm technoboy10, and I would like to apply for curator.
Why I should be curator
I think that I should be curator because I enjoy seeing new and awesome projects.
What kinds of projects I would curate
I would curate projects that utilize new and creative ways of doing things on Scratch (such as artificial intelligence in Scratch, creative pen uses), or that simplify other programming techniques (1s1s). I would probably not curate animations.
My Credentials
I have been on Scratch for nearly 5 years, however I took about a 2 year long hiatus and rediscovered it. I am also an SDS curator (which hopefully shows that I'm responsible  wink  ) and a Scratch Wiki editor.

I hope you will consider me as curator. Thanks!
————————————————
EDIT: added my credentials.
EDIT2: More Credentials! :3

Last edited by technoboy10 (2012-03-31 09:22:31)

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#4288 2012-02-03 11:45:51

Klondikedesigns
New Scratcher

Hi, i'd like to be a curator if it's possible, i like mostly platformer games and some animations (espescially stickboy).

#4289 2012-02-03 12:52:10

Natural-Horses
Scratcher

Klondikedesigns wrote:

Hi, i'd like to be a curator if it's possible, i like mostly platformer games and some animations (espescially stickboy).

Hi Klondikedesigns, to apply for curator, you have to be a 'scratcher' just spend more time on the site, put projects, get active on the forums , etc. to be a screatcher, good luck.  big_smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/30dh5jl.jpg I'm proud to be Pro-life!  big_smile

#4290 2012-02-03 13:41:51

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Klondikedesigns wrote:

Unfortunately, you're still a New Scratcher, so you can't apply. Sorry.

Why

#4291 2012-02-03 21:15:01

pkease
Scratcher

If I were curator, I would   choose  girls, boys, gamers, storytellers, animators - Scratchers of all kinds! We especially like to choose Scratchers who have been helpful and contributing members of the Scratch community.

#4292 2012-02-04 04:45:27

CoolRed3
Scratcher

think [scripts in your posts if needed!] for (2) secs 
I search for many good projects and I like them but somehow I don't get chosen to be curator. I've tried to become one but my dream won't come true. Is it my age? If it is, what's wrong with it? 
 say [What's wrong with me being a curator?] for (100 ) secs 

Last edited by CoolRed3 (2012-02-04 04:49:45)

Happy to help!

#4293 2012-02-04 07:59:13

mazzer25
New Scratcher

thanks for that information maybe we could create a scratch app for ipods jus a suggestion but i know it is highly UNlikely to b e able to do that
smile

#4294 2012-02-04 09:02:42

bieberfever13
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator that selects several stage games, like he super mario brothers games!  big_smile  big_smile

If you want total awesomeness: CLICK THIS!!!!!
I dare you.

#4295 2012-02-04 09:37:18

l-drago100000
Scratcher

I would like to be curator. I would focus on games because scratchers put a lot of time and effort into them.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5867/ld1j.png Now testing Scratch Beta 2.0.

#4296 2012-02-04 11:05:35

Yoshiboy
Scratcher

pkease wrote:

If I were curator, I would   choose  girls, boys, gamers, storytellers, animators - Scratchers of all kinds! We especially like to choose Scratchers who have been helpful and contributing members of the Scratch community.

I think your supposed to write what kind of projects you would pick. Just letting you know.  wink

Winter...

#4297 2012-02-04 14:00:59

soraandsonic
Scratcher

I want servine to be curator! But I do too

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/soraandsonic/2309546
Look at this!

#4298 2012-02-04 14:07:56

Natural-Horses
Scratcher

soraandsonic wrote:

I want servine to be curator! But I do too

Perhaps you should make a summery of why you want to be a curator , and what projects you're intrested in curtating.  big_smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/30dh5jl.jpg I'm proud to be Pro-life!  big_smile

#4299 2012-02-05 16:11:03

Victoria393
Scratcher

can i please be a scratch curator if it's possible? i would pick lots of projects that no one knew about that had great potential  smile

CHEESE and pickles

#4300 2012-02-05 17:26:10

catsarah
Scratcher

i want to be one!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lra9xx6PKG1r2h4emo1_500.gif     so very large? its that BIG???

Board footer