This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-01-28 16:16:57

imnotbob
Scratcher

Writing tips?

I'm writing a story and desperately need tips. Thanks!

Also, if anybody could help me disable the mousepad on an Acer Aspire 5315, that would be great.

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#2 2012-01-28 16:22:07

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Re: Writing tips?

what type of tips?

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#3 2012-01-28 16:24:31

imnotbob
Scratcher

Just Fiction/Fantasy tips
Plus I turned off the mousepad

#4 2012-01-28 16:50:03

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

One popular way to get started is to take a favorite book, comic, or TV show...and then write your own stories using the pre-existing characters (fanfiction in other words).  It lets you play with story construction without having to go to all the effort of establishing characters and their environments.

I don't write myself...but I know some people that do and they seem to enjoy that technique  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#5 2012-01-28 16:54:01

imnotbob
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

One popular way to get started is to take a favorite book, comic, or TV show...and then write your own stories using the pre-existing characters (fanfiction in other words).  It lets you play with story construction without having to go to all the effort of establishing characters and their environments.

I don't write myself...but I know some people that do and they seem to enjoy that technique  smile

Thanks  smile

#6 2012-01-28 17:08:56

fireheartocean
Scratcher

Fiction and fantasy, you say? I've been writing since I was about five years old, so I might have a few tips...

I personally find it easiest to sketch a character first, draw what they look like a few times, and design their personality and history. Then, I try writing a few paragraphs as them, to make sure I know how they'd act in any situation. After I have a main character or two, I think of a plot and begin writing the story. I like writing in third person most. I also find that sketching characters and scenes helps me picture the story I wrote better and describe the places and characters better later on in the story.  smile  I hope that helped a bit- Sorry if it didn't.

**May StarClan light your path**

#7 2012-01-28 17:14:12

imnotbob
Scratcher

fireheartocean wrote:

Fiction and fantasy, you say? I've been writing since I was about five years old, so I might have a few tips...

I personally find it easiest to sketch a character first, draw what they look like a few times, and design their personality and history. Then, I try writing a few paragraphs as them, to make sure I know how they'd act in any situation. After I have a main character or two, I think of a plot and begin writing the story. I like writing in third person most. I also find that sketching characters and scenes helps me picture the story I wrote better and describe the places and characters better later on in the story.  smile  I hope that helped a bit- Sorry if it didn't.

That did help, thanks  smile

#8 2012-01-28 18:24:49

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Well, I'm not much of a writer, but it's still one of my favourite hobbies, so I'd say to make sure that you enjoy the story. If you don't enjoy it, the chances are, nobody else will. Again though, just because I love it, it doesn't mean I'm any good at it, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice.

Why

#9 2012-01-28 18:48:33

Dinoclor
Scratcher

Wait until inspiration strikes, write down your idea, develop your idea, start writing.

The stories that happen are AMAZING.

This is a temporary signature. It will exist until I think of something witty.

#10 2012-01-28 18:49:28

Albertt911
Scratcher

Read lots of books you enjoy in those genres. It's one of the best ways to learn the techniques they use, consciously and sub-consciously.

If you want ideas to start a story? Maybe draw/doodle? That's what I did, and it really helped me get a view of what I was imagining. ^_^

'The only problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, and the wise so full of doubt.'
http://dragcave.net/image/hutmJ.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/5eYiP.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/AqXnJ.gif

#11 2012-01-28 19:15:08

Wickimen
Scratcher

fireheartocean wrote:

Wow you sound exactly like me

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#12 2012-01-28 19:18:47

Dinoclor
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

fireheartocean wrote:

But not like me.

I think of an idea. I expand on the idea in my head. Then I either write in first or third person. I like first better.

Last edited by Dinoclor (2012-01-28 19:19:01)

This is a temporary signature. It will exist until I think of something witty.

#13 2012-01-28 19:31:59

Wickimen
Scratcher

Dinoclor wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

fireheartocean wrote:

But not like me.

I think of an idea. I expand on the idea in my head. Then I either write in first or third person. I like first better.

Well, yeah, you have to expand on the story idea too
But for developing characters, that's what I do

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#14 2012-01-29 00:00:05

MrMokey
Scratcher

open microsoft mouse and disable elan smartpad

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa344/mrmokey1/Thankyouitfitsperfectlysig.png

#15 2012-01-29 11:58:28

imnotbob
Scratcher

MrMokey wrote:

open microsoft mouse and disable elan smartpad

Thanks, but I got it  smile
I pressed FN+F7

#16 2012-01-29 16:19:55

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Make sure you're enjoying developing the story as you write. And don't take it too seriously all the time either, if it's fantasy you want to laugh a couple times to keep it from being super-boring.

Also, I try not to plan too much. If I think of an idea I keep it in the back of my head and then expand it as I start to write.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#17 2012-01-29 16:23:11

Freakish
Scratcher

Just write everything that comes into your head. (not literally everything) Then go back and edit it, don't spend to much time editing in the beginning, save that for the end.

http://i.imgur.com/y3RBV.jpg

Board footer