This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-11-02 18:44:27

Vanslar
Scratcher

energy consuming colors

i recently read that darker screens save energy. perhaps we could turn scratch into a darker, more energy friendly site?

also, see www.blackle.com

I am a royal pain in the butt, I am ~Vanslar~       
      Want better gravity? Go to
Realistic Gravity, By Vanslar 2-D
Want a better way to spend your spare time? CubeField

#2 2007-11-03 00:54:18

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

Re: energy consuming colors

Nah, I like the site's current theme better than anything else. I don't care about the screen!  big_smile

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#3 2007-11-03 08:34:19

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

The power difference from different colors is insignificant.  Most of the power for a modern flat-panel screen goes into the backlight, which takes the same amount of power no matter what is displayed.  Changing the overall brightness of the screen affects the power more than anything that is displayed.

If you have an old CRT monitor, that takes far more power than more modern flat-panel LCD displays.

#4 2007-11-04 19:17:20

Vanslar
Scratcher

hmm, 1 person wouldnt make much diff, but if you add all of the scratchers, woudlt it be worth it?

I am a royal pain in the butt, I am ~Vanslar~       
      Want better gravity? Go to
Realistic Gravity, By Vanslar 2-D
Want a better way to spend your spare time? CubeField

#5 2007-11-04 19:19:34

archmage
Scratcher

Vanslar wrote:

hmm, 1 person wouldnt make much diff, but if you add all of the scratchers, woudlt it be worth it?

Personally I don't think the colour black would set the correct mood for the site.

Plus I am pretty sure that what kevin said was true and darker colours only effect power consumption on the old crt monitors AKA The big cube monitors.

Last edited by archmage (2007-11-04 19:21:20)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

Board footer