This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2011-09-29 14:04:21

bbbeb
Scratcher

Re: Welcome to the Advanced Topics

Nice sticky.  wink

And if anyone needs help witn basic/moderate squeak, VB, or C#, I'm here. And so is LS97.  big_smile

Back in my day.... there were no laws that censored the internet... now, there are.... nah.

#27 2011-09-30 13:40:19

Magnie
Scratcher

And I'm here if anyone needs help in Python.  big_smile

#28 2011-10-01 14:06:35

scimonster
Community Moderator

I guess you don't need to like it for stickying anymore.  tongue

#29 2011-10-02 12:49:47

Hardmath123
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

I guess you don't need to like it for stickying anymore.  tongue

Point. Thanks!

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#30 2011-10-05 14:46:55

sparks
Community Moderator

I like the "unsaid rulebook" at the top there, I didn't see it earlier! Since it says please add, I would suggest mentioning that it's a good idea to explain your working when helping someone so that they can learn and always correct people politely, smiling and showing that it's no biggie to avoid offending them. IDK if either of those are worth adding as they sort of apply to the whole fora and apply, perhaps less to new memebers of AT, so I'm not offended if you don't add them, but those are things I always try to do  smile

Last edited by sparks (2011-10-05 14:47:25)

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#31 2011-10-05 16:09:42

TheArgentina10
New Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

TheArgentina10 wrote:

Hey im trying to make a soccer game with multiple ppl and idk how to be able t switch between ppl. everything i do just makes all of my guys move at the same time when i hit the arrow keys. Any Ideas?

Well, perhaps you could use different keys for each person. Such as WASD and then the arrow keys.  wink

I tried that  but im looking for a game with 4 people on each side so that would take up to many keys and just get confusing. ive looked at other games that were based off of soccer and its just 2 ppl and its not strategic at all. ive looked at everything in that game and nothing has popped up

#32 2011-10-05 16:15:42

sparks
Community Moderator

Scratch can't read more than about four key-presses as once, so you'll struggle to get four people all trying to move their characters... It's a little unfeasible I'm afraid  hmm

I think it might be a good idea to post your question in "All about Scratch" which is more suited to your question than advanced topics  smile

Last edited by sparks (2011-10-05 16:16:28)

#33 2011-10-09 04:53:22

Hardmath123
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

I like the "unsaid rulebook" at the top there, I didn't see it earlier! Since it says please add, I would suggest mentioning that it's a good idea to explain your working when helping someone so that they can learn and always correct people politely, smiling and showing that it's no biggie to avoid offending them. IDK if either of those are worth adding as they sort of apply to the whole fora and apply, perhaps less to new memebers of AT, so I'm not offended if you don't add them, but those are things I always try to do  smile

Sure, I'll add it.  smile

#34 2011-10-09 16:30:33

rookwood101
Scratcher

Pro AT User Tip: (To add to your guide if you wish)
Remember to try google first, many of the questions on the forum are solved easily by doing that. Us AT users that answer your questions aren't gods that know everything, we just know how to Use Google.
So remember kids: Google First, Forums Second.

http://i.imgur.com/zeIZW.png

#35 2011-10-10 08:09:28

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Welcome to the Advanced Topics
A jump-start into the ATs

This is meant to be a guide to new AT-ers, telling them what all we do around here. Feel free to contribute.  smile

Eventually, you will outgrow all the stuff you love — your favorite jeans, your stuffed Barney, etc. Similarly, after a while, it's logical that eventually we will outgrow Scratch. The Advanced Topics or ATs is a place where we go after we outgrow Scratch. It's a place where there's always something new and cool going on — BYOB, the Block Library, etc. It's like a lab, in a way, because it's a place where we experiment and learn, not just about Scratch and Squeak, but also try to improve the forum experience via JavaScript, PHP, and more. The stuff we do around here is awesome, as you will soon see, and has changed the world of Scratch many times. Ever seen a signature telling whether or not a user is online? It originated here. Ever wonder how people get a stretch block in Scratch 1.4? It was discovered in the Advanced Topics.
The stuff we do here can be divided up like this:

• Scratch Development
Here, we use the Scratch Source code to edit/create blocks, make new menus, add patches, etc. Mostly, we create new blocks. If you are interested, the ultimate block-making site is the Block Library.

• Modding
This isn't moderating the forums, it's modifying Scratch. Modifications can be distributed as stand-alone programs. Popular modifications include BYOB by Jens and bharvey, Panther by these people, Bingo by LS97, and Enchanting by clintonb. Scratch is modified by downloading the source code and editing it. To add features, you need to know Squeak Smalltalk.

• Website and webpage integration
This is a relatively new topic. Here, we try to integate Scratch to the website, or try to improve the website experience. Some breakthroughs we have had are:
• Self-updating links and images using PHP
• A forum like system
• A way to share images online without posting them to a site.
• Detecting when new projects are shared
• A web page which lets you create custom blocks with no programming knowledge
• A BBCode editool system (under development).
• A version of Scratch written completely inside HTML/JS, that runs in your browser.
This topic is just emerging, and is being developed beautifully.

• Advanced Scratch Programming
Yes, the ATs are also a place to share advanced Scratch programming. Scratch programs that use complex algorithms, or are breakthroughs in Scratch (ie a recursive engine, a chess engine, or a programming language within Scratch), deserve to be shared and discussed here. Sometimes, people integrate Scratch with other languages (The coolest example I can think of would be connecting it to AppleScript, to read the Gyroscopic sensor values of a MacBook Pro, for a balance game), connect it to the real world in cool ways (People have used Bluetooth to use a Wii remote or Kinect to control Scratch), or connect Scratch programs via Mesh (I've seen many chat programs). The idea is not to advertise, but to develop.

That was just the tip of the iceberg. There is much, much more going on here. But please keep these things in mind:

The ATs Unsaid Rule Book [actually, a few quotes that are appropriate here  tongue ]:

• Sharing knowledge makes you more popular than having knowledge. Don't keep what you know to yourself, share it and make the community richer.

• 90% of the people who you help will help you someday; and the remaining 10% haven't read the first point. So spend 2 minutes every day answering another post if you can.

• Ask for help if you need it. Trust me, it doesn't make you look weird. And some of the best minds around here will fall over each other to help you out. I once asked how to make the  smile  smiley, and got ten replies.

• Correct people if they are wrong (politely!), and don't be offended if you're corrected. That's how you learn. (Contributed by sparks)

• Try searching for something before you ask for help. It can spare other ATers some time. (Contributed by rookwood101)
AT experts, please add to this!

The ATs are a place to develop Scratch as high as it goes, to stretch it to its limits, and learn. So welcome to one of the coolest places on Scratch!

-Hardmath123

OK, sparks and rookwood101?

Last edited by Hardmath123 (2011-10-10 08:09:57)

#36 2011-10-10 10:48:51

rookwood101
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Welcome to the Advanced Topics
A jump-start into the ATs

This is meant to be a guide to new AT-ers, telling them what all we do around here. Feel free to contribute.  smile

Eventually, you will outgrow all the stuff you love — your favorite jeans, your stuffed Barney, etc. Similarly, after a while, it's logical that eventually we will outgrow Scratch. The Advanced Topics or ATs is a place where we go after we outgrow Scratch. It's a place where there's always something new and cool going on — BYOB, the Block Library, etc. It's like a lab, in a way, because it's a place where we experiment and learn, not just about Scratch and Squeak, but also try to improve the forum experience via JavaScript, PHP, and more. The stuff we do around here is awesome, as you will soon see, and has changed the world of Scratch many times. Ever seen a signature telling whether or not a user is online? It originated here. Ever wonder how people get a stretch block in Scratch 1.4? It was discovered in the Advanced Topics.

• Scratch Development
Here, we use the Scratch Source code to edit/create blocks, make new menus, add patches, etc. Mostly, we create new blocks. If you are interested, the ultimate block-making site is the Block Library.

• Modding
This isn't moderating the forums, it's modifying Scratch. Modifications can be distributed as stand-alone programs. Popular modifications include BYOB by Jens and bharvey, Panther by these people, Bingo by LS97, and Enchanting by clintonb. Scratch is modified by downloading the source code and editing it. To add features, you need to know Squeak Smalltalk.

• Website and webpage integration
This is a relatively new topic. Here, we try to integate Scratch to the website, or try to improve the website experience. Some breakthroughs we have had are:
• Self-updating links and images using PHP
• A forum like system
• A way to share images online without posting them to a site.
• Detecting when new projects are shared
• A web page which lets you create custom blocks with no programming knowledge
• A BBCode editool system (under development).
• A version of Scratch written completely inside HTML/JS, that runs in your browser.
This topic is just emerging, and is being developed beautifully.

• Advanced Scratch Programming
Yes, the ATs are also a place to share advanced Scratch programming. Scratch programs that use complex algorithms, or are breakthroughs in Scratch (ie a recursive engine, a chess engine, or a programming language within Scratch), deserve to be shared and discussed here. Sometimes, people integrate Scratch with other languages (The coolest example I can think of would be connecting it to AppleScript, to read the Gyroscopic sensor values of a MacBook Pro, for a balance game), connect it to the real world in cool ways (People have used Bluetooth to use a Wii remote or Kinect to control Scratch), or connect Scratch programs via Mesh (I've seen many chat programs). The idea is not to advertise, but to develop.

That was just the tip of the iceberg. There is much, much more going on here. But please keep these things in mind:

The ATs Unsaid Rule Book [actually, a few quotes that are appropriate here  tongue ]:

• Sharing knowledge makes you more popular than having knowledge. Don't keep what you know to yourself, share it and make the community richer.

• 90% of the people who you help will help you someday; and the remaining 10% haven't read the first point. So spend 2 minutes every day answering another post if you can.

• Ask for help if you need it. Trust me, it doesn't make you look weird. And some of the best minds around here will fall over each other to help you out. I once asked how to make the  smile  smiley, and got ten replies.

• Correct people if they are wrong (politely!), and don't be offended if you're corrected. That's how you learn. (Contributed by sparks)

• Try searching for something before you ask for help. It can spare other ATers some time. (Contributed by rookwood101)
AT experts, please add to this!

The ATs are a place to develop Scratch as high as it goes, to stretch it to its limits, and learn. So welcome to one of the coolest places on Scratch!

-Hardmath123

OK, sparks and rookwood101?

looks good to me  smile

http://i.imgur.com/zeIZW.png

#37 2011-10-14 14:44:03

sparks
Community Moderator

Yeah, it sounds somehow harsh but I don't see why we should sugarcoat something that happens anyway... maybe better to be blunt  tongue

#38 2011-10-14 15:48:06

gbear605
Scratcher

I would suggest adding a section about programming in other languages, because
A) The scratchteam/moderators seem to be directing some programming stuff here
B) You have website development, why not programming.

By programming, I mean anything from ruby, to python, to java.

Yeah, I'm mostly inactive.  I check in once in a while though.  If you want to contact me, I have a contact form at my website, http://escratch.org

#39 2011-10-15 12:23:42

Hardmath123
Scratcher

gbear605 wrote:

I would suggest adding a section about programming in other languages, because
A) The scratchteam/moderators seem to be directing some programming stuff here
B) You have website development, why not programming.

By programming, I mean anything from ruby, to python, to java.

Good idea!

#40 2011-11-03 18:26:57

cocolover76
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

That was just the tip of the iceberg

That's a good thing. I was worried, because I do more than those few languages.
A lot more.
And by a lot, I mean A Lot.

http://i.imgur.com/HfEPZ.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/pvKb6.png

#41 2011-11-03 18:48:55

sparks
Community Moderator

cocolover76 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

That was just the tip of the iceberg

That's a good thing. I was worried, because I do more than those few languages.
A lot more.
And by a lot, I mean A Lot.

Good for you  smile  There are a ton of people here speaking all sorts of languages, which is great because you'll likely find someone who can help you with about any problem! If you know several programming languages then I hope to see more of you around, we always welcome people both learning and advanced here  smile

#42 2011-11-14 16:42:29

robinp
Scratcher

I know VB(Visual Basic), Python, Alice, Scratch (of courses!)

http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=robinp&action=onlineStatus&online=http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/i57.1/Achievement+get%21/ONLINE!%21/mca.png&offline=http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/i57.1/Achievement+get%21/OFFLINE!%21/mca.png

#43 2011-11-18 15:21:18

ratchetclank98
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

TheArgentina10 wrote:

Hey im trying to make a soccer game with multiple ppl and idk how to be able t switch between ppl. everything i do just makes all of my guys move at the same time when i hit the arrow keys. Any Ideas?

Well, perhaps you could use different keys for each person. Such as WASD and then the arrow keys.  wink

That could work, or you could set a variable, maybe make it character or player, then set it to whichever one you want to move.  Then you just say they only move if player equals their number, and you can switch between players by whatever key you chose to use for that.

#44 2011-11-22 06:56:27

Hardmath123
Scratcher

eventexception wrote:

Please give link to´s for:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Website and webpage integration

• A way to share images online without posting them to a site. by sparks
• A web page which lets you create custom blocks with no programming knowledge —Search for "Scramble by Hardmath123"
• A version of Scratch written completely inside HTML/JS, that runs in your browser. Snap!

Sharing knowledge makes you more popular than having knowledge. Don't keep what you know to yourself, share it and make the community richer.

Three link to´s to bulleted lines please, at least for the red one  big_smile

Instead of starting a new similar topic, i intended to read first whats already done.
Forums search resulted in a cluttered output, no useful link to

Last edited by Hardmath123 (2011-11-22 06:58:57)

#45 2011-11-22 07:27:12

eventexception
Scratcher

Thanks Hardmath123!
Would be great if more link to´s appear in your very first post by editing  big_smile

I added a Scratch2html5 Html5 online conversion proposal here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1007743

http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.1

#46 2011-12-06 05:52:47

bubsythebobcat
Scratcher

Well everyone has to outgrow something. sooner or later i may out grow bubsy  sad

SORRY BUT THIS ACCOUNT IS CLOSED AND NO LONGER ACTIVE. GOODBYE)

#47 2011-12-06 06:21:58

Hardmath123
Scratcher

bubsythebobcat wrote:

Well everyone has to outgrow something. sooner or later i may out grow bubsy  sad

I'd hate to see that happen. I think.

#48 2011-12-14 21:25:06

midnightleopard
Scratcher

You only ever 'outgrow' the surface of scratch. There is so much more to do.

http://pwp.wizards.com/5103673563/Scorecards/Landscape.png

#49 2011-12-15 11:59:43

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

ratchetclank98 wrote:

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

TheArgentina10 wrote:

That could work, or you could set a variable, maybe make it character or player, then set it to whichever one you want to move.  Then you just say they only move if player equals their number, and you can switch between players by whatever key you chose to use for that.

Yes, this would work and I'd love to see this.

#50 2011-12-30 10:19:42

flashgocrazy
Scratcher

woa. Another Stickeyed topic on the AT section

◕‿◕

Board footer