This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-05-23 15:06:07

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Re: Why Scratch is now completely messed up.

Leo_the_Lion wrote:

Now, not that I support Shadowed1's point, but I think you're all putting words in his mouth. Shadowed1 said nothing about new scratchers and how their first projects are usually garbage. In fact, he never insinuated that the people he was talking about were new scratchers. Of course, I strongly disagree with the idea that "Scratch is for making games and putting effort into them," and yet, I understand what he's talking about. I'm not the best scratcher myself, nor am I the worst, but I agree that Scratch is seeing many many MANY users who's projects consist of coloring projects and just... pictures. Not plural, actually. A picture. I have nothing against artists, but... when I go to check out someone's projects, I'm looking for something a little different from... pictures of warrior cats. Nothing against warrior cats, don't get me wrong, I'm sure that series is amazing. I'm not suggesting that there are TOO MANY warrior cat drawings on scratch, or that these artists should quit scratching. No, I don't think that in the least. But my points in this post are:

1: For the love of Scratch, stop putting words in his mouth.
2: Try moving projects, maybe animation is your thing, if games aren't.
3: No hate on warrior cats.
4: New scratchers DO deserve the right to have rubbish projects, but Shadow never said anything about that so FOR THE LOVE OF SCRATCH STOP PUTTING WORDS IN HIS MOUTH!

Sorry, got carried away there.

Shadowed1 also tried to put words into the mouth of the Scratch Team by giving a false interpretation of Scratch goals.  hmm

It is very hard to explain Scratch's goals without including New Scratchers because Scratch is, after all, aimed at people new to programming, whose programming may not be at par at first. So once someone starts attacking what they feel is a "rubbish project", then it also is more or less also an attack on those new to programming, even if "New Scratchers" is not included in the actual text body of the attack or even if the one performing the attack was not aiming at them at all. It kind of reminds me of when people start to attack users using generalizations - even if the attack is made only on one person, using generalizations makes that attack include those who fit into the generalization even if that was not the original intent.

As for the picture projects, to quote Paddle:

Please do not confuse the goals of the project:  Scratch is not "supposed to be about making games and putting hard work into them".  Scratch is for letting people express their creativity on the computer with all kinds of projects:  Art projects, stories, coloring contests, simulations, math projects, games, pet pictures, etc.  Scratch is a big place and hosts a large variety of different interests.  I suggest you find Scratchers with similar interests and have fun with them and worry less about what the front page is showing.

That being said, if you're disappointed when finding a project that is just a picture, then just continue to move on and try to find something else. No need to complain when you find a project that you do not like, all types of projects are accepted here.  wink

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#27 2012-05-23 17:28:04

777w
Scratcher

Shadowed1 wrote:

I can't go 2 seconds without seeing another completely useless project. I mean, most projects that are on the front page at the moment are minecraft videos, colouring competitions (hint: you click the fill button) and rushed, sloppy projects.

Scratch is supposed to be about making GAMES and PUTTING HARD WORK INTO THEM so they get appreciated. So few people now are making quality games (in comparison to the number of people that are making utterly useless projects) that I feel seriously demotivated about working on another project.

Scratch's motto is "imagine, program, share". If you're planning on making a half-decent project, you have to IMAGINE the idea and put at least a few scripts in it i.e. PROGRAMMING. To imagine something it has to be ORIGINAL. I swear, there are at least 50,000 projects that are colouring in competitions.

Actually, the projects on the front page at the moment are slightly better compared to what I usually see, but nonetheless still filled with useless junk. But seriously, if you are going to post a project, at least put a reasonable amount of time into it and be different from the norm.

To fix this, curators have to choose projects that are QUALITY projects, not some half-baked project from some random out there. If you get front paged, you should have to WORK FOR IT.

Also, if you are posting a project to be featured: 1. Check that that project is not made by yourself and 2. Check that the project is WORTH FEATURING. And if you are the moderator featuring the project, check the project before you feature it.

On a side note: GET RID OF THE TOP REMIXED LINE ON THE FRONT PAGE. IT IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND NOT BEING USED FOR THE INTENTION IT WAS BEING USED FOR I.E. PROJECTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE.

In conclusion, Scratch is now a horrible mess. I can't believe that the 1% of people who post constructive and fun projects are being overridden by the 99% of people who don't have the patience to work on the project before they share it. I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

~Shadowed1

scratch isnt necessarily for games you know
anyway, as for the rest, its the communitys fault not the scratch teams
most of the people on here are the young children and beginning programmers this site was designed for, you cant expect too much out of them
its not like this site is full of professionals making games, movies, and other stuff for a living

#28 2012-06-05 13:52:29

Firedrake969
Scratcher

+infinity

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#29 2012-06-06 11:12:29

shpeters
Scratcher

I both agree and disagree. While it is a good thing for new scratchers the amount of work and effort that goes into them is really limited. I find it annoying how people get fame and on the front page for art and my 1s1s maze is forgotten.

http://i.imgur.com/bboYO.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/66Yki.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/uLUsl.jpg

#30 2012-06-06 12:11:26

Mokat_Test
Scratcher

shpeters wrote:

I both agree and disagree. While it is a good thing for new scratchers the amount of work and effort that goes into them is really limited. I find it annoying how people get fame and on the front page for art and my 1s1s maze is forgotten.

I find the number of coloring competitions that get on the frontpage daily annoying. Yesterday the top ten most remixed projects were all coloring competitions. Most of them just involve drawing a fairly simple drawing and asking people to remix, paying them for winning in love its and art trades.

i dont know what to put here

#31 2012-07-02 18:07:30

mintfang
Scratcher

I think you should quit being mean to people who havent had TIME to figure out scratch! i havent figured it out!  mad

http://i33.tinypic.com/25p1rw6.png

#32 2012-07-02 18:21:05

Molybdenum
Scratcher

Maybe we sould just make different categories; ex.
On the front page there is a link/top 3 area with a see more button. The link/button takes you to a page with several categories, like this:
Puzzle
  Mazes: X (picture) Y (picture) Z (picture)
  Puzzle platforming: X (pic) Y (pic) Z (pic)
Action/adventure
  Platforming: X (pic) Y...

And each X, Y, and Z, should be the top viewed/remixed/love-it/favorite for each category. I'm not exactly sure how you would put something into a category without people trying to abuse the system (ex. put a puzzle in the most viewed section of the page just to get more views), though.

"The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake."
(|Balls and Platforms: Stay on!|) (|NaOS-H: An operating system... Or is it?|)

#33 2012-07-03 11:15:14

zammer990
Scratcher

I'm mixed on this, while the volume of pointless colouring competitions and annoying song projects is truly detestable, there's very little you can do, unless you're going to go around insulting people on their projects. I propose that there be a section for animations, colouring competitions, games etc. Or a section for new scratchers projects.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ynq7nn.jpg Play now!

#34 2012-07-03 11:47:31

Wes64
Scratcher

First of all, I cant be bothered to read everyone's post so if I repeat something, my bad.

Shadowed1 wrote:

Scratch is supposed to be about making GAMES and PUTTING HARD WORK INTO THEM so they get appreciated. So few people now are making quality games (in comparison to the number of people that are making utterly useless projects) that I feel seriously demotivated about working on another project.

If you think that is what Scratch is for, then you have missed the point entirely. Games, while usually the most intricate projects, are not the only thing meant to be constructed by Scratch users. Also, just because a project does not suit you does not mean it is "utterly useless". Useless to you, yes, but not to other users.

Shadowed1 wrote:

To fix this, curators have to choose projects that are QUALITY projects, not some half-baked project from some random out there. If you get front paged, you should have to WORK FOR IT.

I do agree with this, in that projects on the front page should have some work behind them. A lot of famous users get every project they upload front paged, even if that project is poor. But keep in mind many of these users are young, and do not know how to respectfully deal with fame yet.

Shadowed1 wrote:

On a side note: GET RID OF THE TOP REMIXED LINE ON THE FRONT PAGE. IT IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND NOT BEING USED FOR THE INTENTION IT WAS BEING USED FOR I.E. PROJECTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE.

I agree, some users remix their projects by themselves just to get front-paged. its kind of a free pass to fame.

I think that there is something to this idea. I believe that users should be told about how to respect other people whilst being famous. this wouldn't be any massive restriction, but just let them know that a) anything you upload is likely to be front paged, b) you should think about the time it took to make that project before you upload, and c) you should never take advantage of that fame. Just keep it in moderation, getting every small thing front paged is not the way to go

Experienced 2.0 Tester: Ask me questions!
Using Firefox 13.0, Flash plugin version 11.4.402.287, and Windows XP Professional.

#35 2012-07-05 12:41:51

Karaxis
Scratcher

Shadowed1 wrote:

I can't go 2 seconds without seeing another completely useless project. I mean, most projects that are on the front page at the moment are minecraft videos, colouring competitions (hint: you click the fill button) and rushed, sloppy projects.

Scratch's motto is "imagine, program, share". If you're planning on making a half-decent project, you have to IMAGINE the idea and put at least a few scripts in it i.e. PROGRAMMING. To imagine something it has to be ORIGINAL. I swear, there are at least 50,000 projects that are colouring in competitions.

Actually, the projects on the front page at the moment are slightly better compared to what I usually see, but nonetheless still filled with useless junk. But seriously, if you are going to post a project, at least put a reasonable amount of time into it and be different from the norm.

Also, if you are posting a project to be featured: 1. Check that that project is not made by yourself and 2. Check that the project is WORTH FEATURING. And if you are the moderator featuring the project, check the project before you feature it.

In conclusion, Scratch is now a horrible mess. I can't believe that the 1% of people who post constructive and fun projects are being overridden by the 99% of people who don't have the patience to work on the project before they share it. I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

~Shadowed1

Ok, I see where you're coming from, but really if you're so bothered go learn some different programming. Unity 3D and Lua are very good engines which have massive potential, and using Blender to make game models is a good idea. Just remember, Scratch is a very simple programming engine (seriously, my game was over 2mb and it lagged like hell, I had to remove some key stuff).

#36 2012-07-05 13:11:41

funelephant
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

Unite wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Since Scratch is designed for beginning programmers and children (some of them very young), it's not surprising that a number of the projects are quite simple.  And that's a good thing - we want people to feel free to learn and explore without reservation.  Even the simple remix projects like "Add yourself..." help people learn to use the computer and share their ideas with like-minded people.

This is not to say that we don't also see some very complex and well-crafted projects on the site as well - but they are always going to be outnumbered by the beginners. 

Please do not confuse the goals of the project:  Scratch is not "supposed to be about making games and putting hard work into them".  Scratch is for letting people express their creativity on the computer with all kinds of projects:  Art projects, stories, coloring contests, simulations, math projects, games, pet pictures, etc.  Scratch is a big place and hosts a large variety of different interests.  I suggest you find Scratchers with similar interests and have fun with them and worry less about what the front page is showing  smile

Now, since this doesn't really seem to be a Question about Scratch, I'm moving it to Suggestions.

agreed. its like the population of scratchers. there are more new scratchers then full scratchers. that's because every month more scratchers join then the amount of new scratchers turning into full scratchers. You have to except that some people might not be as good as a scratcher as you. Im good at art, but when I have to do art in school, I don't go around saying that people shouldn't make art because it isn't as good as other people's, like mine. I except that some other people might not be as smart as me or most of the time I have to except that people ARE smarter then me. Just like size and shape. its okay if you staart off rough, there are always ways you can learn. I hope this helped with this.  big_smile

I agree with Paddle2See and Unite. Take a look at my first project! It's very simple! I think that this idea is taking it a step too far. If I told you that you couldn't make projects anymore because they're horrible, how would you feel? This is pretty much just telling New Scratchers that they aren't allowed to learn. Making projects is part of learning! If you don't learn, the world gets nowhere! I believe that everyone's first project is pretty much rubbish, but you can see the projects getting better as you go along! It's because we're learning! We've developed more programming skills along the way!

Exactly!
And Scratch is not about making games. People can make whatever they want (well, as long as it's appropriate) and it's not really their fault it ends up on the front page.

People need to seriously stop bickering about people's projects getting on the front page.

nicki begs to differ
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ab0e6e8fd347c5e39c2821bcab9d16e6/tumblr_mgu35sui1L1rfb7aqo2_500.gif

#37 2012-07-05 13:19:42

funelephant
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Leo_the_Lion wrote:

Now, not that I support Shadowed1's point, but I think you're all putting words in his mouth. Shadowed1 said nothing about new scratchers and how their first projects are usually garbage. In fact, he never insinuated that the people he was talking about were new scratchers. Of course, I strongly disagree with the idea that "Scratch is for making games and putting effort into them," and yet, I understand what he's talking about. I'm not the best scratcher myself, nor am I the worst, but I agree that Scratch is seeing many many MANY users who's projects consist of coloring projects and just... pictures. Not plural, actually. A picture. I have nothing against artists, but... when I go to check out someone's projects, I'm looking for something a little different from... pictures of warrior cats. Nothing against warrior cats, don't get me wrong, I'm sure that series is amazing. I'm not suggesting that there are TOO MANY warrior cat drawings on scratch, or that these artists should quit scratching. No, I don't think that in the least. But my points in this post are:

4: New scratchers DO deserve the right to have rubbish projects, but Shadow never said anything about that so FOR THE LOVE OF SCRATCH STOP PUTTING WORDS IN HIS MOUTH!

Shadowed1 also tried to put words into the mouth of the Scratch Team by giving a false interpretation of Scratch goals.  hmm

It is very hard to explain Scratch's goals without including New Scratchers because Scratch is, after all, aimed at people new to programming, whose programming may not be at par at first. So once someone starts attacking what they feel is a "rubbish project", then it also is more or less also an attack on those new to programming, even if "New Scratchers" is not included in the actual text body of the attack or even if the one performing the attack was not aiming at them at all. It kind of reminds me of when people start to attack users using generalizations - even if the attack is made only on one person, using generalizations makes that attack include those who fit into the generalization even if that was not the original intent.

Please do not confuse the goals of the project:  Scratch is not "supposed to be about making games and putting hard work into them".  Scratch is for letting people express their creativity on the computer with all kinds of projects:  Art projects, stories, coloring contests, simulations, math projects, games, pet pictures, etc.  Scratch is a big place and hosts a large variety of different interests.  I suggest you find Scratchers with similar interests and have fun with them and worry less about what the front page is showing.

That being said, if you're disappointed when finding a project that is just a picture, then just continue to move on and try to find something else. No need to complain when you find a project that you do not like, all types of projects are accepted here.  wink

Exactly. My first project didn't do ANYTHING!

nicki begs to differ
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ab0e6e8fd347c5e39c2821bcab9d16e6/tumblr_mgu35sui1L1rfb7aqo2_500.gif

#38 2012-07-05 13:34:03

CheckItNow12
Scratcher

I'm sorry, but did I just READ that?

Some people need time to figure out Scratch. Heck, Even I needed to figure it out back then! Scratch is meant for kids of all ages, and some young children will need to have patience to get used to it. Scratch is about programming, creating anything you want! Its not about making high quality games.

Speaking of which, sure, some people might not put that much work into their games. May e some of those people are new. The point is, it not about good games, and even which, still exist nonetheless.

I strongle agree with Paddle, Cheddar, Mokat and Unite. Scratch is about sharing your creativity and is aimed at people new to programming. But of course, everyone has their tastes and that's just fine.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47/NicolBolas_Alara/Doctor%20Who/raincry.gif

#39 2012-07-05 17:33:43

LEGOengineer261
Scratcher

I agree with shadowed1, mostly at least. I wish there would be some way to go through the scratch website without running into thousands of poor quality projects in the way, that way beginners can still mess around with their projects, but have good quality projects on the first page when you search something... Although I have no idea how to do that.

Oh, and also if scratch is supposed to be a way of letting our 'creativity flow', then I think that most peoples creativity is sorta ugly. :\

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p562/LEGOengineer261/IronmanSERIOUSBOSS.jpg

#40 2012-07-05 17:47:48

funelephant
Scratcher

LEGOengineer261 wrote:

Oh, and also if scratch is supposed to be a way of letting our 'creativity flow', then I think that most peoples creativity is sorta ugly. :\

That was just rude.

nicki begs to differ

#41 2012-07-07 10:31:43

benjamin2
Scratcher

funelephant wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Leo_the_Lion wrote:

About my first 50 projects have 0 scripts.

http://i.imgur.com/gp6tZ.gif

#42 2012-07-07 10:46:29

soniku3
Scratcher

CheckItNow12 wrote:

I'm sorry, but did I just READ that?

Some people need time to figure out Scratch. Heck, Even I needed to figure it out back then! Scratch is meant for kids of all ages, and some young children will need to have patience to get used to it. Scratch is about programming, creating anything you want! Its not about making high quality games.

Speaking of which, sure, some people might not put that much work into their games. May e some of those people are new. The point is, it not about good games, and even which, still exist nonetheless.

I strongle agree with Paddle, Cheddar, Mokat and Unite. Scratch is about sharing your creativity and is aimed at people new to programming. But of course, everyone has their tastes and that's just fine.

+anything!

internet's all about cats today.

#43 2012-07-07 10:50:09

soniku3
Scratcher

funelephant wrote:

LEGOengineer261 wrote:

That was just rude.

Yes,like i'm a kid thats 4 years old. only got flooded by comments like:Boring and My projects are way better. I mean just mess around is it? Isn't it? I like almost every project. They give it a try. Come on.

#44 2012-07-07 11:33:15

funelephant
Scratcher

benjamin2 wrote:

funelephant wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Leo_the_Lion wrote:

About my first 50 projects have 0 scripts.

I didn't actually know how to work scratch until my like 5th project!

nicki begs to differ

#45 2012-07-07 12:25:39

WarioX
Scratcher

I agree with this, scratch is completly clogged up with pointless projects. If you're going to make a game, make it good or don't share it online.

http://i49.tinypic.com/oqdogx.gif
Play Blob Nation ~ The Game With Accounts And Highscores!

#46 2012-07-07 12:33:59

soniku3
Scratcher

WarioX wrote:

I agree with this, scratch is completly clogged up with pointless projects. If you're going to make a game, make it good or don't share it online.

you know i don't adgree this is for all ages. and the project may be so bad as possible but its his/her choice! And look at my post! other!

#47 2012-07-07 12:35:01

soniku3
Scratcher

soniku3 wrote:

funelephant wrote:

LEGOengineer261 wrote:

That was just rude.

Yes,like i'm a kid thats 4 years old. only got flooded by comments like:Boring and My projects are way better. I mean just mess around is it? Isn't it? I like almost every project. They give it a try. Come on.

#48 2012-07-07 14:01:31

soniku3
Scratcher

WarioX wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

you know i don't adgree this is for all ages. and the project may be so bad as possible but its his/her choice! And look at my post! other!

Yeah, I agree that it's the person's choice, but it still messes up scratch if you clutter it with pointless projects  tongue

its just messing around. there it is made for!

#49 2012-07-08 00:42:51

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

WarioX wrote:

Scratch is used by beginners who are new to programing, there's a lot of projects out there that are uploading experiments or simply experiments with the Scratch blocks, not necessarily complete projects per se. If you don't like the project you see in front of you, then simply move on and search for something that you'll eventually like; if you're not a fan of the fact that Scratch is open to projects designed by people new to programming, well, the ST isn't going to change the ideals and goals behind the site just because a handful of Scratchers don't like what's being uploaded.  hmm

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#50 2012-07-08 06:27:26

JakieMcCool
Scratcher

Scratch is intended for young childeren so what do you expect?

when gf clicked
 think [JakieMcCool] for (3) secs
 say [Presents] for (3) secs
 think [Another forum post] for (3) secs

http://jgametechnology.webs.com/

Board footer