This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#376 2012-02-23 18:35:19

veggieman001
Scratcher

Re: Forum post counts now shown in levels

Mokat wrote:

wolvesstar97 wrote:

rabbit1131 wrote:

This makes all the points I wanted to say.

^my point

But really, this is actually not a valid idea, because you can just click on profile, and it shows your post count!

That only shows your post count. But Veggie kept on posting their post count everywhere, so that kinda defeted the purpose.

:>

#377 2012-02-24 15:16:55

Mokat
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Mokat wrote:

wolvesstar97 wrote:

^my point

But really, this is actually not a valid idea, because you can just click on profile, and it shows your post count!

That only shows your post count. But Veggie kept on posting their post count everywhere, so that kinda defeted the purpose.

:>

My post count is 689, by the way ^.^
now I'm at 827

Last edited by Mokat (2012-03-04 18:32:55)

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#378 2012-02-25 07:57:50

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

If it really is, what would be an alternative way, aside from the post count change, to discourage spamful / meaningless posts made only for the purpose of upping one's count?

Yeah, that's the problem...
No. That's the true answer. Just some side little thing.
Well, I'm not so sure what APIs FluxBB has, but maybe you could see who's posted more than an average of, say, 50 times a day, in the past couple days, and just ask them why they're posting so much. Make sure it has good intentions. Except that's a bunch of modwork... Maybe an automatically generated admin message reminding them that they've been posting a lot, and should make sure they have good intentions while doing so.

I was thinking more along the lines of something Scratchers could do to prevent post count spamming, or to intervene gently when they find it, and flag when necessary.  Mods have their hands pretty full as it is, and need to have time to focus on other things, like answering questions, creating awesome activities, making projects, that sort of thing.

So maybe we need a new rank which is between Scratcher and Community Moderator: something which allows:

a) Moving topics
IMO that's a kind of spam, I once saw a topic about cheese in the Advanced Topics.

b) Locking/hiding posts
(from the view of New Scratchers and Scratchers; but not from Mods who can delete them)

c) Reports by them could come in bold for higher priority

Just an idea. It could help, there are a zillion helpful Scratchers who would love to help mod in little ways. I can think of at least 20 on the spot.  smile

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#379 2012-02-25 12:48:44

scimonster
Community Moderator

Hardmath123 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Well, I'm not so sure what APIs FluxBB has, but maybe you could see who's posted more than an average of, say, 50 times a day, in the past couple days, and just ask them why they're posting so much. Make sure it has good intentions. Except that's a bunch of modwork... Maybe an automatically generated admin message reminding them that they've been posting a lot, and should make sure they have good intentions while doing so.

I was thinking more along the lines of something Scratchers could do to prevent post count spamming, or to intervene gently when they find it, and flag when necessary.  Mods have their hands pretty full as it is, and need to have time to focus on other things, like answering questions, creating awesome activities, making projects, that sort of thing.

So maybe we need a new rank which is between Scratcher and Community Moderator: something which allows:

a) Moving topics
IMO that's a kind of spam, I once saw a topic about cheese in the Advanced Topics.

b) Locking/hiding posts
(from the view of New Scratchers and Scratchers; but not from Mods who can delete them)

Just an idea. It could help, there are a zillion helpful Scratchers who would love to help mod in little ways. I can think of at least 20 on the spot.  smile

I'm not one of them, am I? XD
And I think that rank is planned, but I think moving and hiding topics is a bit much.  hmm

#380 2012-02-25 13:16:00

imsosuperswell1
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

scimonster wrote:

a) Moving topics

b) Locking/hiding posts

I totally support this post!  big_smile

http://i43.tinypic.com/34y3brb.png

#381 2012-02-25 13:21:57

RedRocker227
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

scimonster wrote:

It's all true, but, take me for an example, I did take part (minorly) in post count races, but never resorted to spamming. It's an extra challenge. I do enjoy helping people, and I certainly like the friendliness, but yes, I checked users' post counts quite often, and tried to beat them. Before this change, I was aiming to beat Paddle to 10,000. Now, I'll never know.

That's an interesting point, especially because you have been a long time and really helpful member of the community. The thing is, not everyone will avoid total spamming, as you did.

But is that post race with P2S really so important to your experience on Scratch?

If it really is, what would be an alternative way, aside from the post count change, to discourage spamful / meaningless posts made only for the purpose of upping one's count?

Uh... I post over fifty times every day though :>

Why

#382 2012-02-25 13:40:52

veggieman001
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

That's an interesting point, especially because you have been a long time and really helpful member of the community. The thing is, not everyone will avoid total spamming, as you did.

But is that post race with P2S really so important to your experience on Scratch?

lolmetoo

#383 2012-02-25 13:47:27

scimonster
Community Moderator

veggieman001 wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

lolmetoo

Well, make sure you always have good intentions. ;P

#384 2012-02-25 13:48:43

veggieman001
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

lolmetoo

i do jeez what are you my mom

#385 2012-02-25 13:52:57

scimonster
Community Moderator

veggieman001 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

lolmetoo

i do jeez what are you my mom

lol. just doin mah job. ;D

Last edited by scimonster (2012-02-25 13:53:14)

#386 2012-02-25 14:16:08

werdna123
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

I've updated my idea:
An Experienced Scratcher level that is given to trusted people who help out lots by mods/ST. This level would fix the problem that people can no longer determine the experience of Scratchers. It would allow the person to only have a 30-second-rule for posting, since there would be little risk of people abusing it to spam.

You might say, then people would spam to try and get ST to notice them and make them Exp. Scratchers, however, the only spam would be to try and help people and answer questions, etcetera.

I really want to see a Mod. or someone in the Scratch Team's opinions on this.

#387 2012-02-25 14:34:17

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

werdna123 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

I've updated my idea:
An Experienced Scratcher level that is given to trusted people who help out lots by mods/ST. This level would fix the problem that people can no longer determine the experience of Scratchers. It would allow the person to only have a 30-second-rule for posting, since there would be little risk of people abusing it to spam.

You might say, then people would spam to try and get ST to notice them and make them Exp. Scratchers, however, the only spam would be to try and help people and answer questions, etcetera.

We've been talking this over for a few months - how to reward experienced and helpful Scratchers.  We currently have the Community Moderator positions, which give expanded powers and trust to a selected few members.   I think what you are proposing here, is something intermediate between a regular Scratcher and a Community Moderator. 

I can see where the Community might enjoy such a position...and it might motivate people to be more helpful in the community.  I can also see where it might get to be a bit of a tangled mess trying to decide who is worthy of the honor, selecting candidates and explaining to people why they did or didn't make it.  It's not an easy thing.  There's a lot to think over  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#388 2012-02-25 14:49:15

RedRocker227
Scratcher

I think that's a great idea, werdna123.

Why

#389 2012-02-25 14:50:25

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Oh, and you forgot to change the original post; it still says that it'll say ">#".

Why

#390 2012-02-25 15:47:21

werdna123
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

I've updated my idea:

We've been talking this over for a few months - how to reward experienced and helpful Scratchers.  We currently have the Community Moderator positions, which give expanded powers and trust to a selected few members.   I think what you are proposing here, is something intermediate between a regular Scratcher and a Community Moderator. 

I can see where the Community might enjoy such a position...and it might motivate people to be more helpful in the community.  I can also see where it might get to be a bit of a tangled mess trying to decide who is worthy of the honor, selecting candidates and explaining to people why they did or didn't make it.  It's not an easy thing.  There's a lot to think over  smile

Hmm, is it hard doing the Scratcher status?

#391 2012-02-25 21:51:55

Hardmath123
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

a) Moving topics

b) Locking/hiding posts

And I think that rank is planned, but I think moving and hiding topics is a bit much.  hmm

Here are some of the people who could be in the rank:
Chrischb (TBG mod + Wiki)
Veggieman001 (Wiki)
scimonster (Wiki)
Lucario621 (Wiki)
sparks (ran for mod)

Last edited by Hardmath123 (2012-02-26 02:26:41)

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#392 2012-02-25 21:59:44

joletole
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

I've updated my idea:

I love this idea. I know that I will never become a mod or become part of the Scratch Team and 100 of 1,000's of Scratchers probably don't have a chance at it either. So this is a nice goal to set to some people. +1

#393 2012-02-26 02:48:58

scimonster
Community Moderator

Hardmath123 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

a) Moving topics

b) Locking/hiding posts

Veggieman001 (Wiki)
Scimonster (Wiki)
Lucario621 (Wiki)
sparks (ran for mod)

Chris already has the Collab Counselor status.  tongue

#394 2012-02-26 10:36:58

hari_2153
New Scratcher

Long time to go to 1000 post..
Trying..

Lucky To All

#395 2012-02-26 10:37:35

RedRocker227
Scratcher

hari_2153 wrote:

Long time to go to 1000 post..
Trying..

Lucky To All

Scratch isn't about getting a high post count.

Why

#396 2012-02-26 10:53:02

veggieman001
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

a) Moving topics

b) Locking/hiding posts

veggieman001 (Wiki)
scimonster (Wiki)
Lucario621 (Wiki)
sparks (ran for mod)

LOLme

#397 2012-02-26 13:12:34

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Paddle2See wrote:

Yep. They would definitely have to be hand selected, not automatic or anything.

Also, what would make them special? Would it just be a status? (that would be perfectly fine with me) Or would they have some similar abilities as moderators? I'm not really sure. Also, how many people would get the rank? And how do you make sure it's not a rank exclusively given to people on the forums, for example?

Many questions left unanswered.

Last edited by Lucario621 (2012-02-26 13:12:48)

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#398 2012-02-26 13:34:26

imsosuperswell1
Scratcher

I think to decide the intermediate rank we could have like occasionial elections for the extra rank, with requirements to deem if they aren't evil or not. Plus there should be an age limit, cause we can't have 7 year olds with Experienced Scratcher rank can we?

http://i43.tinypic.com/34y3brb.png

#399 2012-02-26 13:55:48

veggieman001
Scratcher

imsosuperswell1 wrote:

I think to decide the intermediate rank we could have like occasionial elections for the extra rank, with requirements to deem if they aren't evil or not. Plus there should be an age limit, cause we can't have 7 year olds with Experienced Scratcher rank can we?

I don't see why we couldn't.

#400 2012-02-26 14:37:51

RedRocker227
Scratcher

imsosuperswell1 wrote:

Why not? Sportsdude6 is only 8, and he's extremely mature.

Why

Board footer