This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#151 2012-05-17 11:59:23

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

Re: Discuss the Policies of This Forum

NeighbourhoodSniper wrote:

calebxy wrote:

A response that will cause a debate is crossing the line, saying something that inclines people to argue over something like religion or politics is crossing the line.

But he was just stating facts. What he said isn't (or shouldn't) be the sort of thing that someone could argue about.

So as long as it's a fact it's ok?

Facts can still start up arguments, infact, most arguments are started with a fact.

As a matter of fact, this right here is an argument/debate. calebxy is trying to explain to you what happened, and you, then decide to argue his every response. If you don't like religion, the Bible, or Christians in particular, okay then, but you don't need to start arguments with someone over it. Just listen to what calebxy had to say, as that explains pretty much the whole situation, and then be done with it. People like you, willing to argue every point like this, are what got religion banned in the first place. If you don't have something respectful, nice, and/or constructive to say, then don't say anything please.  hmm

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

#152 2012-05-17 12:11:30

NeighbourhoodSniper
New Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

calebxy wrote:

But he was just stating facts. What he said isn't (or shouldn't) be the sort of thing that someone could argue about.

So as long as it's a fact it's ok?

Facts can still start up arguments, infact, most arguments are started with a fact.

As a matter of fact, this right here is an argument/debate. calebxy is trying to explain to you what happened, and you, then decide to argue his every response. If you don't like religion, the Bible, or Christians in particular, okay then, but you don't need to start arguments with someone over it. Just listen to what calebxy had to say, as that explains pretty much the whole situation, and then be done with it. People like you, willing to argue every point like this, are what got religion banned in the first place. If you don't have something respectful, nice, and/or constructive to say, then don't say anything please.  hmm

So agree with whatever you're saying and let you be right 100% of the time?

The topic was closed because it wandered into religion and it was too hard/resource intensive to moderate and keep it from wandering into religion again.

#153 2012-05-17 12:30:03

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

No, that's not what I said, more of an agree to disagree attitude.
Besides that, I told them I would keep it civil, they don't need to worry. I was about to add something else to the first post to promise I'd delete the whole thing if it became a real problem, but they shut it down before I could do that.  hmm  I meant it though, and it was fine, until I was misunderstood and shut down so they could discuss it. I'm still waiting for their answer, but until I get it, please be respectful.

#154 2012-05-17 13:15:32

calebxy
Scratcher

Well I really want the topic to be opened again.

I'm making my own Doctor Who series!  big_smile  See the first episode here.
And please join Story Zone!  big_smile

#155 2012-05-17 13:36:39

NeighbourhoodSniper
New Scratcher

I am being respectful, you just don't agree with me.

The topic is hard to moderate because it's so easy to cross the line, deleting the topic every time someone starts a debate is a stupid idea too, so much work to put in to discuss a book.

#156 2012-05-17 16:23:44

777w
Scratcher

wow look at all this
id just like to say that i was the actual cause of the closing of the topic, i reported that post saying that it seem like an invitation for debate and they agreed with me
the only reason i didnt post about it is because i like to keep silent when reporting things, not make a big deal about it
anyway, whether or not something is factual doesnt matter as long as it can lead into anything that violates the community guidelines. arguing about colours is fine. arguing about the bible simply isnt

#157 2012-05-17 19:36:40

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Since topics about cooking go in the MaC forum, do topics about eating and consuming food go on this one?

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#158 2012-05-17 20:01:15

777w
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

Since topics about cooking go in the MaC forum, do topics about eating and consuming food go on this one?

lol, maybe

#159 2012-05-18 12:30:36

technoboy10
Scratcher

@Bible thread discussion - I personally think that before the thread became a debate, it was not a problem. People could discuss what they had read in the Bible, and recommend books to read in it. However, I agree that Scratch should not be a huge debate. Perhaps if everyone stopped arguing in the thread, we could reopen it.

*DISCLOSURE*
I am a Christian, so I am biased.

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#160 2012-05-18 12:41:05

schusteralex2
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

It was a response that could have caused a debate. Anything could have caused a debate, I could have said, I like the color blue, and anyone could reply, red is better, and then we have a debate. Whether or not something is a "provocative" comment is all in the eyes of the reader.

No, because there are some topics that can provoke some serous flaming. The thing with religious topics is they always end up with someone stating "My god did ______ so he's better than yours" I have been sucked into some of these before, and they can get pretty nasty. The difference between stating "Blue is the best color" and "The bible is proven to be historically and scientifically true" is that because people have such heated opinions on one they are WAYYYY more prone to flaming. Therefore once that topic started to get a hint of possible flame, the ST did the right thing to nip the problem before people got offended. The topic itself is fine, once it starts to go towards an actual debate on religion, then it becomes an issue.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uj37ds.gif

#161 2012-05-18 13:23:17

calebxy
Scratcher

technoboy10 wrote:

@Bible thread discussion - I personally think that before the thread became a debate, it was not a problem. People could discuss what they had read in the Bible, and recommend books to read in it. However, I agree that Scratch should not be a huge debate. Perhaps if everyone stopped arguing in the thread, we could reopen it.

*DISCLOSURE*

But no one was arguing in it. Sonicfan12p simply posted something which Paddle2See felt could have led to a debate.

#162 2012-05-18 13:27:03

NeighbourhoodSniper
New Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

technoboy10 wrote:

*DISCLOSURE*

But no one was arguing in it. Sonicfan12p simply posted something which Paddle2See felt could have led to a debate.

That would just cause an argument, it's like waving around a lighter near a spillage of petrol then saying that the people who tackled you did it unfairly because it wasn't starting a fire.

#163 2012-05-18 13:27:18

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

I understand the percentage of chance on this issue of it becoming a debate is higher than colors, I was using that to illustrate a point. Anyway, the point still stands that anything COULD cause a debate, and it also stands that whether or not something is provocative is all in the eyes of the reader. What's provocative for one person is different for another. Anyway, does anyone actually read all of the posts, or do they just try to get the gist of it before making comments? I have been misinterpreted repeatedly! Anyway, the most negative comments I got were merely stating that it might cause a debate. We had a nice conversation going on. But anyway, it takes two to argue, all I have to do is say I'm not going to argue with you, and the argument stops there, which is what I will do now. The facts have been stated, repeated, misinterpreted, reexplained, and so on, and I've had enough. I would appreciate it if we could all leave this to the Scratch Team right now. They said they would discuss it, and I would like no further comments on this issue until It's resolved. Thank you, and lets get back to helping the Community!
P.S. calebxy, I really appreciate your attempts to help me explain this thank you for all your help!  smile

Last edited by sonicfan12p (2012-05-18 13:31:55)

#164 2012-05-18 13:37:52

technoboy10
Scratcher

Nicely said, sonicfan.

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#165 2012-05-18 14:18:08

calebxy
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

I understand the percentage of chance on this issue of it becoming a debate is higher than colors, I was using that to illustrate a point. Anyway, the point still stands that anything COULD cause a debate, and it also stands that whether or not something is provocative is all in the eyes of the reader. What's provocative for one person is different for another. Anyway, does anyone actually read all of the posts, or do they just try to get the gist of it before making comments? I have been misinterpreted repeatedly! Anyway, the most negative comments I got were merely stating that it might cause a debate. We had a nice conversation going on. But anyway, it takes two to argue, all I have to do is say I'm not going to argue with you, and the argument stops there, which is what I will do now. The facts have been stated, repeated, misinterpreted, reexplained, and so on, and I've had enough. I would appreciate it if we could all leave this to the Scratch Team right now. They said they would discuss it, and I would like no further comments on this issue until It's resolved. Thank you, and lets get back to helping the Community!
P.S. calebxy, I really appreciate your attempts to help me explain this thank you for all your help!  smile

No problem.  smile  I want the topic opened again probably just as much as you.

#166 2012-05-18 15:56:38

777w
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

i cant help but feel you didnt see my post

777w wrote:

wow look at all this
id just like to say that i was the actual cause of the closing of the topic, i reported that post saying that it seem like an invitation for debate and they agreed with me
the only reason i didnt post about it is because i like to keep silent when reporting things, not make a big deal about it
anyway, whether or not something is factual doesnt matter as long as it can lead into anything that violates the community guidelines. arguing about colours is fine. arguing about the bible simply isnt

Last edited by 777w (2012-05-18 15:57:15)

#167 2012-05-18 16:02:25

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

I did, and it was the reason for me posting the other comment, but this argument/debate is over. We will now leave this problem to the scratch team, and leave the topic we're on to it's original purpose.

#168 2012-05-18 16:06:49

777w
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

I did, and it was the reason for me posting the other comment, but this argument/debate is over. We will now leave this problem to the scratch team, and leave the topic we're on to it's original purpose.

whatever you say bro i suppose

#169 2012-05-18 16:43:56

veggieman001
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

technoboy10 wrote:

*DISCLOSURE*

That would just cause an argument, it's like waving around a lighter near a spillage of petrol then saying that the people who tackled you did it unfairly because it wasn't starting a fire.

Although this is a weird metaphor, I kinda agree  hmm

#170 2012-05-18 17:07:03

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

#171 2012-05-18 17:07:54

777w
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

calebxy wrote:

Although this is a weird metaphor, I kinda agree  hmm

oh i see :O
it works, in a way

Last edited by 777w (2012-05-18 17:08:09)

#172 2012-05-19 03:15:03

calebxy
Scratcher

The Scratch Team still hasn't said anything.  sad

#173 2012-05-19 07:32:52

777w
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

patience friend, they have not only 30 forum sections to moderate but 2539706 projects

#174 2012-05-19 07:40:59

calebxy
Scratcher

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

patience friend, they have not only 30 forum sections to moderate but 2539706 projects

Wow! When did we reach 2 million projects?

#175 2012-05-19 07:42:18

NeighbourhoodSniper
New Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

Wow! When did we reach 2 million projects?

Quite a while ago, I remember lurking around xmas and we hit 2m I think.

Board footer