This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2011-02-07 17:29:39

archmage
Scratcher

Re: Archmage's really neato collab

Your version's accuracy is identical to the one in pokemon which is pretty much how I was going to set things up. You even included the modifiers which I haven't even made the lists for yet.

Here is something you should know if modifiying the scripts:

Current monster data for the player is used in all forumlas and is stored in variables starting with C_. Values for all monsters are stored in lists starting with party_. When a new monster comes out, the old monster's (if there was a previous monster) data is stored back into the party list and the C_ variables hold the data for the new monster.

Attacks stats are completly seperate from monster stats.

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-07 17:32:19)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#127 2011-02-07 17:35:13

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Your version's accuracy is identical to the one in pokemon which is pretty much how I was going to set things up. You even included the modifiers which I haven't even made the lists for yet.

Here is something you should know if modifiying the scripts:

Current monster data for the player is used in all forumlas and is stored in variables starting with C_. Values for all monsters are stored in lists starting with party_. When a new monster comes out, the old monster's (if there was a previous monster) data is stored back into the party list and the C_ variables hold the data for the new monster.

Attacks stats are completly seperate from monster stats.

Already knew about that from looking at the code.  tongue

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/mkolpnji/signaturebanner.gif

#128 2011-02-07 19:12:05

kayybee
Scratcher

We have 2 more days!

My main thing:

work on the intro.

Any ideas for storyline?!?!?!

Please!!! IDK what to do!

#129 2011-02-07 19:33:49

archmage
Scratcher

If you want, you can work on an animation for the intro, as long as it doesn't resemble pokemon's intro. I think I already went over the storyline in a previous post. The dark lords are bad and its up to the team of monsters to stop them.

The rough version is due in 2 days and I already sent one in. The final version is due in March.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#130 2011-02-08 01:14:17

archmage
Scratcher

KMilka wrote:

I'd be willing to help

We only need people who are good with art and music at this point.

#131 2011-02-08 01:25:52

kayybee
Scratcher

Wait. Can someone else do the beginning? I want to do music.

What do we need?
Peaceful city music,
scary cave music,
or fast-paced battle music?
And approx how long?
Also, if you want it to loop.

#132 2011-02-08 02:02:10

archmage
Scratcher

Do the music for the beginning then. I just get all of my music from newgrounds if I can't get people to make it. Could really use some sort of intro.

#133 2011-02-08 17:12:06

archmage
Scratcher

I have exams on wednesday friday and sunday  sad

I think that only mkolpnji is really capable of modifiying the scripts so she can build on that if she wants and the rest of you can add monsters.

Things that need to get done:
-leveling system, monsters have their own rates of leveling. Create 5 lists for each monster starting with leveling_ to store the leveling data. For example when monster a gets a level his Atk increase by item(i) of (leveing_Atk) where i is the id number for the monster

-Catching new monsters. This is simple, add the monster to the lists starting with party_.

-movesets. I first need to add 4 more lists party_moves_1, party_moves_2, party_moves_3, and party_moves_4. The attack buttons' scripts need to be replaced with scripts that can take from those values and set the attackID properly.

-Speed, monsters with best speed go first, not sure about the details on how to add this.

-More monsters, this is simple, take from the example of the monsters currently in the game and repeat the process I used to add monsters.

-move accuracy, there is accuracy now but it doesn't take any values from the move's accuracy stat. This needs to be fixed

-Modifiers need to be added for moves that boost or detract from monster stats.

-Learning new moves, every 10 levels the monster learns a new move. You can also buy new moves from a dojo.

People who are not able to script well enough can do one of the following:

-art
-title page (this is a somewhat original project so the title doesn't resember pokemon in any way)
-music
more monsters
-moves

Sorry, but I am going to be really busy for a while so I can't get to this for a while.

#134 2011-02-08 19:04:45

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

I think that only mkolpnji is really capable of modifiying the scripts so she can build on that if she wants and the rest of you can add monsters.

-leveling system, monsters have their own rates of leveling. Create 5 lists for each monster starting with leveling_ to store the leveling data. For example when monster a gets a level his Atk increase by item(i) of (leveing_Atk) where i is the id number for the monster

-Catching new monsters. This is simple, add the monster to the lists starting with party_.

-movesets. I first need to add 4 more lists party_moves_1, party_moves_2, party_moves_3, and party_moves_4. The attack buttons' scripts need to be replaced with scripts that can take from those values and set the attackID properly.

-Speed, monsters with best speed go first, not sure about the details on how to add this.

-More monsters, this is simple, take from the example of the monsters currently in the game and repeat the process I used to add monsters.

-move accuracy, there is accuracy now but it doesn't take any values from the move's accuracy stat. This needs to be fixed

-Learning new moves, every 10 levels the monster learns a new move. You can also buy new moves from a dojo.

-art
-title page (this is a somewhat original project so the title doesn't resember pokemon in any way)
-music
more monsters
-moves

Sorry, but I am going to be really busy for a while so I can't get to this for a while.

Wha-
When did I say I was a girl. <_<

And I can't work on this today, but I'll try to work on it tomorrow.

#135 2011-02-08 19:51:02

kayybee
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Do the music for the beginning then. I just get all of my music from newgrounds if I can't get people to make it. Could really use some sort of intro.

intro as in?...

fast, slow
major, minor
what happens in the beginning? catastrophic? cheery?
estimated length?

#136 2011-02-08 20:32:26

archmage
Scratcher

mkolpnji wrote:

archmage wrote:

-art
-music
more monsters
-moves

Wha-
When did I say I was a girl. <_<

And I can't work on this today, but I'll try to work on it tomorrow.

OHHH! Sorry! Its so hard to tell with your funny username  tongue  You are officially now a man, a manly one.

#137 2011-02-08 23:26:48

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

archmage wrote:

intro as in?...

fast, slow
major, minor
what happens in the beginning? catastrophic? cheery?
estimated length?

Make an introductory animation less than a minute long. Show the world in trouble because of the dark lords (the members of this collab) and show the monster rising to fight and lead into the battle tutorial. Just make something simple now because it can be revised later.

#138 2011-02-08 23:34:02

kayybee
Scratcher

ah! animations! last time i made one was more than half a year ago and that failed!

okay, i'll try it.

how about this: they are based on their job.
what do the characters look like then?

archmage-the leader of the dark lords, controls (programs) the monsters.
miffinthemuffin-makes monsters
kayybee-um... makes monsters? what should i be?
mkolpnji-um... controls and makes monsters?

#139 2011-02-08 23:50:45

archmage
Scratcher

The dark lords should look like our avatars. Yours is a pokemon, mine is an archmage, miffin's is a muffen.

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-08 23:51:13)

#140 2011-02-08 23:56:14

kayybee
Scratcher

can i use my old avatar? a person?

anyways, so an intro animation, i'll try to compose music and try to match it. also, i'll get the battle music.

#141 2011-02-09 19:10:59

mkolpnji
Scratcher

Monster RPG v8: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1587175

Changes in bold and italics.

archmage wrote:

Done

Done, also merged together the melee and emelee to lessen amount of scripts. If this isn't good, I can easily do speed a different way.

-move accuracy, there is accuracy now but it doesn't take any values from the move's
accuracy stat. This needs to be fixed

Should be fixed.

Added a new attack, Scare, that detracts from the enemy's attack stat. Also laid down some of the groundwork for other stats.

Last edited by mkolpnji (2011-02-09 19:11:14)

#142 2011-02-09 19:32:29

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png

#143 2011-02-09 19:49:40

mkolpnji
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

Tiny update: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/rett/1587232

Various bug fixes + deleting now useless variables.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1587264

Seems there is an online bug with the v8 - v10 already. The projectile that is shot by the enemy if they are faster than the player will be facing in the wrong direction. Only happens online, so I have no idea what's causing it.

#144 2011-02-10 02:58:05

archmage
Scratcher

Your bug makes no logical sense since the projectile shot by the enemy has a set direction.

The new code is not bad but there are lots of little refinements I must make.

#145 2011-02-10 16:02:12

archmage
Scratcher

mkolpnji, your additions were not bad, they just needed a little adusting.

-The attack lists were not set up right. You had it so that each party member had its own list for all its attacks. I set it up so that the monster's moves are shared by the lists. For example, monster 3's fourth move is in party_moves_4 in the 3rd position. This allows for easier access.

-The speed adjustment thing needed to be reworked entirely, throwing if else blocks around isn't a good solution. I made it so that that is a list containing the order of the battle and the order is re-calculated when 1. a monster is changed 2.A monster's speed modifier is changed

-Haven't looked too much at the mods but they may need to be reworked. Also noticed that that are not part of the forumla which needs to be changed.

Go to the archtest account for the newest update.

#146 2011-02-10 21:26:10

archmage
Scratcher

Progress!
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archtest/1589423

Added the things I said I added in the above post. Buffs/Nerfs still don't work properly though.

Also added nicer graphics since some people make a big deal of that even in the early stages.

#147 2011-02-10 21:28:55

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

-The attack lists were not set up right. You had it so that each party member had its own list for all its attacks. I set it up so that the monster's moves are shared by the lists. For example, monster 3's fourth move is in party_moves_4 in the 3rd position. This allows for easier access.

-The speed adjustment thing needed to be reworked entirely, throwing if else blocks around isn't a good solution. I made it so that that is a list containing the order of the battle and the order is re-calculated when 1. a monster is changed 2.A monster's speed modifier is changed

-Haven't looked too much at the mods but they may need to be reworked. Also noticed that that are not part of the forumla which needs to be changed.

Nice.
You did the speed a lot better than I did. I really wasn't exactly sure how to do it, so I defaulted to using if else.

Also, for mods, I haven't put all of the values into the damage formulas yet. It took around an hour for me to implement the scare attack due to the amount of bugs that were created when I added it. And I wanted to get the update out before the day ended. I'll add that in maybe tomorrow or sometime later.

Speaking about bugs, in V13:
-When switching to a monster with a lower speed than the enemy, the battle gamestate order is messed up where it goes 3, 1, and then 2. This really messes up some things so I did a quick fix.
-After changing the order, another bug came up where the monster didn't attack after the enemy attacked. So I moved the broadcast <item<CAtkID> of attack type> to the stage, below the script that receives the next state broadcast. And made it only activate if the gamestate was 2.
-Also fixed a bug that made it so that the miss text was visible if your monster missed with a melee attack.
-For some reason, the statMod receiving script was broken up. So scare wouldn't work. Fixed that.
-Fixed the music not working.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1589431

Last edited by mkolpnji (2011-02-10 21:29:58)

#148 2011-02-10 21:34:43

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

mkolpnji wrote:

archmage wrote:

Nice.
You did the speed a lot better than I did. I really wasn't exactly sure how to do it, so I defaulted to using if else.

Also, for mods, I haven't put all of the values into the damage formulas yet. It took around an hour for me to implement the scare attack due to the amount of bugs that were created when I added it. And I wanted to get the update out before the day ended. I'll add that in maybe tomorrow or sometime later.

Speaking about bugs, in V13:
-When switching to a monster with a lower speed than the enemy, the battle gamestate order is messed up where it goes 3, 1, and then 2. This really messes up some things so I did a quick fix.
-After changing the order, another bug came up where the monster didn't attack after the enemy attacked. So I moved the broadcast <item<CAtkID> of attack type> to the stage, below the script that receives the next state broadcast. And made it only activate if the gamestate was 2.
-Also fixed a bug that made it so that the miss text was visible if your monster missed with a melee attack.
-For some reason, the statMod receiving script was broken up. So scare wouldn't work. Fixed that.
-Fixed the music not working.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1589431

V14 was made like two minutes before you uploaded.

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png

#149 2011-02-10 21:36:44

archmage
Scratcher

Ohhhh sorry, I just made some rather big adjustments to the project involving menus and stuff.

And I thought the the enemy attacking you when switching to a slower monster would be like a punishment  tongue  So that was kind of intentional.

Have another exam tommrow, so can't work on this for another while. Also my more recent code may be poor cus I need sleep  tongue

#150 2011-02-10 21:38:58

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Ohhhh sorry, I just made some rather big adjustments to the project involving menus and stuff.

And I thought the the enemy attacking you when switching to a slower monster would be like a punishment  tongue  So that was kind of intentional.

Have another exam tommrow, so can't work on this for another while. Also my more recent code may be poor cus I need sleep  tongue

Haha.
I'll take a look at it and fix some bugs and stuff.

EDIT: Fixed one bug that was annoying me. (The battle text)
Also like I mentioned on your project, we really need to add a "back" button.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1589471

Last edited by mkolpnji (2011-02-10 21:48:00)

Board footer