This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Looking for interesting examples of collaborations in Scratch

#1 2010-08-11 02:07:51

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Looking for interesting examples of collaborations in Scratch

Hello,

For the Scratch conference presentation on Thursday, we want to mention some interesting cases of remixing. I would love to hear your suggestions.

Could you recommend:

1. Examples of companies/collabs that have lasted for a while and that have created a couple of projects?

2. What are some interesting or clever uses of remixing that you have seen?

3. Examples of people offering and getting programming or art services to other Scratchers?

4. Can you tell us a story that shows how the Scratch website helped you or someone else collaborate with others?

Reply to this thread or if you want to submit something anonymously you can fill out this survey

Thanks!

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2010-08-11 02:12:29

Chrischb
Scratcher

Re: Looking for interesting examples of collaborations in Scratch

First view/post.  big_smile
1. I don't really know many - I've heard that Gray Bear Productions has done well, though.  smile  There's also a group called Prism out there - it hasn't made any projects, but it's lasted a long time and is active... I don't think I'm good with this question.  hmm

2. I was doing a collaboration with my friends once - we used a shared account and kept updating a project whenever we felt like it. We didn't get far though, but we had a good time. I put it in a Scratch newsletter that I print and hand out to them.

3. The Requests forum might have some...  hmm  I had a shop once where I would make extra forum smileys - it went well, but the image hosting service I used broke down and I still haven't bothered with re-uploading them.  sad

4. I think my reply to 2 might work here... we'd tried other collaborations outside of Scratch before, but were far less successful.

I'm not good with answering these questions...  sad

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#3 2010-08-11 02:14:49

murpho
Scratcher

For number 4 hmmm like with people to work on something?? If so.. Very

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l-rgCPiQ9pY/Tp32n1MRUEI/AAAAAAAADoA/HNQWbO8OOaA/s510/soccerleague.gif

#4 2010-08-11 02:51:10

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

murpho wrote:

For number 4 hmmm like with people to work on something?? If so.. Very

Yes.

#5 2010-08-11 02:51:44

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Thanks Chrischb. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

#6 2010-08-11 05:16:17

LS97
Scratcher

I think remixing is an important part of scratch. talking about it at the conference is probably a very good idea. here's my answers.

1. i know of more companies in modding scratch than making pojects. these include, panther team, squirrel team (of which i'm part of) and some more. generally less andvanced users team up with experienced ones to create (some are) quality mods.  as for projects, most are companies of 1 person  sad

2. Unfortunately, remixing has become the type 'add yourself to...' where very little to no programming is involved. i don't think that's the type of remixing scratch was thought for. i'd love to see more real remixes on the front page like improving games (that's what i generally do when remixing) but since not that many scratchers are abl to, less remixes are shared, and can never make it to the front page.

that 'most remixed' is also an easy way to get to the front page. many many many scratchers want glory (not approved by me).

i think scratch could have some extreme quality projects (maybe even better than some commercial games) if the remix facility was used efficiently. why? because one person could never make a big, feature-packed project. but if many people build on each other's ideas, we can make it... to the moon. maybe not te best example but: how many people were involved in d-day? 1 person couldn't have acheived that  smile

3. there's a few of these on the 'requests' forums. not as many in projects. most are just like: "there's a good art project on the front page. i'll ask its creator if he/she can make me an animation." type of thing.

4. the forums are very helpful in this. a very good example is (again) the panther thread with more than 150 pages of collaborative effort. project comments can be used to notify the person that (s)he has received a reply on his(er) forum thread.

it would be great if the scratch team brought back forum notifications. it could work a bit like the wiki 'page watching'. if you 'watch' a forum thread, you get a notification whenever someone edits it or replies.

i am, however, thinking of collaborating to create my new SilviSoft release (currently a one-person company like said above) 'SilviSoft MotherBoard'. OS sims are a good way of collaborating in scratch.

hope all that 'wall' of text helped  big_smile

Last edited by LS97 (2010-08-11 05:17:10)

#7 2010-08-11 11:20:40

fg123
Scratcher

1. Prism might qualify for that. We'll give you a secret alpha version of some of our projects.

Hai.

#8 2010-08-11 19:00:16

iCode-747
Scratcher

fg123 wrote:

1. Prism might qualify for that. We'll give you a secret alpha version of some of our projects.

Prism.

That's really it. Most other collabs/companies pretty much fall apart.  sad

-End Transmission-

#9 2010-08-11 19:12:36

adriangl
Scratcher

Well, I'll tell you about my most successful collaboration, CatBOT 1.0. We had the suppliers, pinochino and RHY who made backgrounds for us, the programmers, mostly The-Whiz and Lucario621, and then I tweaked everything to make it the great, finishing product.

Think of the final project as a wheel. The center was Lucario621 and the The-Whiz, they are the base, pinochino and RHY are the spokes, supporting the final product, and I edited the wheel and pushed it in the right direction.

Scratchin' since 2007

#10 2010-08-11 22:37:45

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

fg123 wrote:

Can someone write in more detail about the history and evolution of Prism? The website does not explain that much. A Wiki article would be the best. GBP has a useful article: http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Gray_Bear_Productions

Thanks

#11 2010-08-11 22:38:08

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

adriangl wrote:

Well, I'll tell you about my most successful collaboration, CatBOT 1.0. We had the suppliers, pinochino and RHY who made backgrounds for us, the programmers, mostly The-Whiz and Lucario621, and then I tweaked everything to make it the great, finishing product.

Think of the final project as a wheel. The center was Lucario621 and the The-Whiz, they are the base, pinochino and RHY are the spokes, supporting the final product, and I edited the wheel and pushed it in the right direction.

This is a great example. Please post the links here.

#12 2010-08-12 00:58:40

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

adriangl wrote:

This is a great example. Please post the links here.

Well, here's the finished project... (why am I the one giving the link?  tongue )
I'd mention Prism Productions, but we haven't completed any projects yet... oh:

andresmh wrote:

Can someone write in more detail about the history and evolution of Prism? The website does not explain that much. A Wiki article would be the best.

But you said, "I would like to see articles about any group that has involved more than 1 person that has created at least more than 1 project" - Prism hasn't finished any projects yet, though some progress on some projects have been made.  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-08-12 01:02:28)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#13 2010-08-12 14:57:23

Lucario621
Community Moderator

I have nothing specific to say for this thread... but as far as the Scratch Conference, tell me how it goes!  smile

Also, why isn't there a forum for it?  hmm

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#14 2010-08-12 23:54:58

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

oh I thought Prism had created projects already. I hope they do soon!  big_smile

#15 2010-08-13 02:04:41

Chrischb
Scratcher

Do you want to be notified when it happens?  big_smile

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#16 2010-08-13 02:40:18

iCode-747
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

You can see a demo of the Photon engine in their gallery.  wink

-End Transmission-

#17 2010-08-13 02:44:57

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

iCode-747 wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

But that's not the finished thing... but it's being worked on.  wink

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#18 2010-08-13 03:15:36

iCode-747
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

iCode-747 wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

But that's not the finished thing... but it's being worked on.  wink

I see.

New quoting winking trend starting!  wink

[/off-topic]

I've worked 1-on-1 with kiwi95 on several occasions!  big_smile

-End Transmission-

#19 2010-11-08 20:06:25

TriTeam
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

I was doing a collaboration with my friends once - we used a shared account and kept updating a project whenever we felt like it. We didn't get far though, but we had a good time.

Chrischb wrote:

we'd tried other collaborations outside of Scratch before, but were far less successful.

I disagree. This account is actually me & one of my friends (originally two others, hence the "Tri") making projects together. (I'm a lot more active though  tongue .)

Last edited by TriTeam (2010-11-08 20:07:06)

http://imgur.com/EjPVl.pngMWA HA HA!

#20 2010-11-08 20:13:21

TriTeam
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

i think scratch could have some extreme quality projects (maybe even better than some commercial games) if the remix facility was used efficiently. why? because one person could never make a big, feature-packed project. but if many people build on each other's ideas, we can make it... to the moon. maybe not the best example but: how many people were involved in d-day? 1 person couldn't have achieved that  smile

BINGO! I have just the thing for you: TimeCraft!

Last edited by TriTeam (2010-11-08 20:19:28)

http://imgur.com/EjPVl.pngMWA HA HA!

#21 2010-11-11 09:59:32

GameHutSoftware
Scratcher

The Stickmania fan episodes are collaboration of me, nickbrickmaster, and cmmjkxwhatever: http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/92032

Lurking more than posting, but still here.

#22 2010-11-11 11:45:55

-GizzardGulp-
Scratcher

does me and my dad both making a project together count? there was no remixing involved.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/Max_Levine/SnoutmolStudios.png

#23 2010-11-20 02:53:34

Hardmath123
Scratcher

TriTeam wrote:

LS97 wrote:

i think scratch could have some extreme quality projects (maybe even better than some commercial games) if the remix facility was used efficiently. why? because one person could never make a big, feature-packed project. but if many people build on each other's ideas, we can make it... to the moon. maybe not the best example but: how many people were involved in d-day? 1 person couldn't have achieved that  smile

BINGO! I have just the thing for you: TimeCraft!

Hey...

I was going to say TimeCraft!

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#24 2011-01-08 22:10:23

MIT1987
New Scratcher

I would have to say that by far the most interesting case of remixing is that of Jay-Z's "Black Album", which is a remix that combines The Beatles "White Album" with one of Jay's albums. It was remixed by a fan as a personal project, but when Jay-Z heard it he bought up the rights. very interesting story, and very good remixing.

#25 2011-01-09 14:59:47

bananaman114
Scratcher

MIT1987 wrote:

I would have to say that by far the most interesting case of remixing is that of Jay-Z's "Black Album", which is a remix that combines The Beatles "White Album" with one of Jay's albums. It was remixed by a fan as a personal project, but when Jay-Z heard it he bought up the rights. very interesting story, and very good remixing.

No way, thats awesome!

the sun still shines

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Looking for interesting examples of collaborations in Scratch

Board footer