This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-12-11 23:38:00

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Interested in becoming the first Scratch guest blogger?

Are you interested in writing a long article for the official Scratch blog?

I'd like to find someone who is interested in writing an article for our blog. In particular, I'd like to have someone who can write a comprehensive article on one of these topics:

a) Scratch companies. Some of the questions you can try to answer (as an example) are: what is the history and present of the different Scratch companies? Which ones have been out there? What have they made? How were they created? How did they evolve? Where are they know? Where are they going? How do companies work and not work? What kind of things have companies done that otherwise would have not been possible?

b) RPG games. Examples of the kind of questions the article can answer are: what exactly are RPGs? What is the history of RPGs in Scratch? What makes Scratch a good place for RPGs, what doesn't? What do Scratch projects add to the RPG experience?

You must be someone who has been in Scratch for a while and who can write a comprehensive article about these topics.  I'd like the article to mention as many  examples as possible with an in depth description of each of them. This probably would require some investigative work (kind of like a reporter). The article should come with images and ideally quotes from some of the participants, perhaps interviews?

If you're interested in doing this, please post a sample short segment of your article, as you would write it. A draft is OK, but also it might be better for you to take your time to write a well written response to this post so you increase the chances. I am not looking for the quick "pick me!" type of message  smile

Also, if you want to collaborate with others in writing this, that is also possible.

Thanks and Scratch on!

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2009-12-11 23:43:01

Dazachi
Retired Community Moderator

Re: Interested in becoming the first Scratch guest blogger?

This sounds cool. I think I may try it. I think I would rather do the Companies. If I still want to try this out in a tommarrow I may post a sample.

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#3 2009-12-11 23:43:49

ihaveamac
Scratcher

I might try. But I have no idea if I can make it in.

~ihaveamac - visit ihaveamac.net

#4 2009-12-11 23:44:02

Dazachi
Retired Community Moderator

I want to add, I think this is a great oppurtunity for many Scratch users. I am glad you posted this.

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#5 2009-12-12 00:30:32

Chrischb
Scratcher

I'm starting an article on the RPGs... I'm going to cover these points:

• History (when they started, why, etc.).
• Projects (such as Jewel RPG).
• Galleries (such as The Guardians).
• Forums (in the Text-Based-Games).
• In-depth descriptions.
• The RPGs themselves.

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#6 2009-12-12 00:32:20

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

This is interesting. I think I'll submit an article.  smile

A few questions though - can you use BBCode? For example, you might want to use quote boxes, or the image tag for pictures. I notice that you ask for pictures, so this makes me think BBCode is allowed.

Hmmm... I took a look in the blog and I think I saw BBCode. I'll just go with it, then.  smile

Anyway, is BBCode allowed?

EDIT: I have another question. How long should an article be?

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-12-12 00:36:43)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#7 2009-12-12 00:37:42

cocoanut
Scratcher

I'll try....  smile

http://i42.tinypic.com/20gyvif.jpgPlease leave a message at the beep.
Steam: Hellephant

#8 2009-12-12 00:47:13

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Do not worry too much about formatting at this point (we are using blogger.com for our blog so it does accept a subset of HTML tags, but not exactly BBCCode). Focus more on the writing at this point. A few images, 3 or 5 are enough. Length matters but it's more about quality than quantity  smile

Feel free to collaborate with others if you prefer that.

#9 2009-12-12 00:47:52

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Okay, thanks!  smile

How exactly do we submit the images? Do we do it the same way we do it in posts?

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-12-12 00:48:01)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#10 2009-12-12 01:23:57

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Yes, you can just post links to them. But focus more on the writing...

#11 2009-12-12 01:31:26

Chrischb
Scratcher

I've finished a page on Word of my article so far. I'm waiting for replies on an interview with J0j2, and then I'll go find some pictures. (I won't clutter up the article with them)

Here's a piece of the article:

I wrote:

As a large and growing community, the Scratch Website contains many collaborations. Users have worked together to bring games, companies, contests, and much more to everyone’s ears.
  The Scratch Website is home to more, however. With so many users online, it became the perfect place to play RPGs. Users are always conversing with each other, playing Scratch-related games or others.
  RPGs have their roots in Scratch. Because of their creative and appealing value, many users join them daily. There are an estimated 500 RPGs out there of any sort, all of which have their varying qualities.

I'm not done with it yet, though...

#12 2009-12-12 02:01:59

Magnie
Scratcher

I would like to read this Article once it's finished.  big_smile

#13 2009-12-12 02:09:38

Chrischb
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

I would like to read this Article once it's finished.  big_smile

Thanks, Magnie!

#14 2009-12-12 02:12:17

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Here's the first bit of my article.

Ever since the beginning of Scratch, users have been working together. This varies from simple helping to the ultimate teamwork — companies.

The history of companies in Scratch is widely varied. Companies that were started a few years ago have a long and complex history, while companies that are new have a brief but exciting history. Nevertheless, all company histories revolve around one thing: A group of people who decided to work together.
   Why did they decide to work together? Most of it is based on one simple thing: the want to join up and work together. Why work alone, restricting yourself to your capabilities? When you work together, you can help each other — if you are having trouble, someone else may be able to help you.

It continues, mentioning the benefits of companies and other stuff, but I had to stop the quote somewhere. Anyway, there you go.

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-12-12 02:32:25)

-Charlotte Brontë

#15 2009-12-12 03:21:29

fg123
Scratcher

I want to read your articles. So intriguing(I think that's the word). But, I can't write so...

Oh and andres: It's BBCode, not BBCCode.  wink   tongue

Hai.

#16 2009-12-12 03:50:09

Chrischb
Scratcher

Just curious, how long do they actual articles have to be? I can see that the word "long" is bolded.

When you say long, do you mean two A4 pages? Five?

Because writing five pages would be tricky... all I have is almost-two at the moment.  tongue

Last edited by Chrischb (2009-12-12 03:50:27)

#17 2009-12-12 04:01:21

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

fg123 wrote:

I want to read your articles. So intriguing(I think that's the word). But, I can't write so...

Thanks, fg123! That's very encouraging.  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#18 2009-12-12 10:41:09

Lucario621
Community Moderator

fg123 wrote:

Oh and andres: It's BBCode, not BBCCode.  wink   tongue

Lawlz.

These aren't topics I'm neccecarily the best at, but I could probably do one on colaboration. I'll think about it. Maybe not. Hehe.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#19 2009-12-12 11:28:38

pinochio
Scratcher

You should probably tell people That they should ask their parents permission first...

Also, I would love to collaborate someone, so just message me ! I can also be interviewed.

Last edited by pinochio (2009-12-12 11:34:24)

Flat Out G

#20 2009-12-12 11:45:26

cocoanut
Scratcher

Here's the beginning of mine.

I wrote:

The world of Scratch is ever-expanding, with new members joining by the minute. At first there was sole competition among the members--individual, solitary competition. But with so many users, and with clash at its maximum, teams must be formed. These teams were coined as "companies," and each one was composed of hardworking "employees," each specializing in their own talents, whether the talents be programming, art, animation, music, or anything. In early years, a select few companies succeeded, but as the time whizzes by, innumerable companies are toiling away at this very moment to produce their most professional projects.

Anyone like it so far?  smile

#21 2009-12-12 11:47:38

pinochio
Scratcher

cocoanut wrote:

I wrote:

The world of Scratch is ever-expanding, with new members joining by the minute. At first there was sole competition among the members--individual, solitary competition. But with so many users, and with clash at its maximum, teams must be formed. These teams were coined as "companies," and each one was composed of hardworking "employees," each specializing in their own talents, whether the talents be programming, art, animation, music, or anything. In early years, a select few companies succeeded, but as the time whizzes by, innumerable companies are toiling away at this very moment to produce their most professional projects.

Its schozm. Implying that this is possibly one of the most awesome blogs ever  tongue . Are you gonna interview flamingtrout?

Flat Out G

#22 2009-12-12 11:48:25

littletonkslover
Scratcher

I'll do one on RPGs.  smile

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#23 2009-12-12 11:53:51

cocoanut
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

cocoanut wrote:

I wrote:

Its schozm. Implying that this is possibly one of the most awesome blogs ever  tongue . Are you gonna interview flamingtrout?

a.) What does schozm mean?

b.) I posted a comment last night. Funkymonkey hasn't replied yet.

#24 2009-12-12 12:03:52

pinochio
Scratcher

cocoanut wrote:

pinochio wrote:

cocoanut wrote:

a.) What does schozm mean?

b.) I posted a comment last night. Funkymonkey hasn't replied yet.

You could interview evil string, but flamingtrout is probably better.

Schnozm is a word i invented, it means uncanny and great!

My Article:

Scratch is possibly one of the most useful programs to have, for companies. The outstanding ability to download projects, and then edit them and upload them to the website again, gives users a chance to collaborate, and this is also how Scratch 'companies work'. People all around the world covet to collaborate, but unfortunately most programs do not support the process of 'remixing' (Downloading and editing a project). When Scratch users make a company, the members of the company each add their own style to a game, which it makes it unique and uncanny, compared to games made alone. Scratch companies have different sections for users, as some will do art, some will do programming, and some will test! Companies can really inspire users to possibly pursue a career in a game studio when they are older, and offer a taste of what it is like to work together.

Thats just the beginning, as I am waiting to interview a company. Please tell me what you think!

Last edited by pinochio (2009-12-12 12:04:45)

Flat Out G

#25 2009-12-12 12:06:30

cocoanut
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

You could interview evil string, but flamingtrout is probably better.

I'm going to interview a LOT. Not just one.

Last edited by cocoanut (2009-12-12 12:11:54)

Board footer