This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-04 15:56:55

LRGonzales
Scratcher

LRGonzales's suggestions for Scratch 2.0

Dear scratch.mit.edu,
Here are some things I would like you to do in the making of Scratch 2.0. Let's start with the most important one.
1. Do not change web layout or Scratchblock design. Please don't change the design for scratch.com. The 2.0 design you showed looks slightly cluttered and not as appealing as before. I know another popular website, (Khan Academy), that changed its layout to something similar. Now it seems I am going there less and less. Also, the new design of the Scratchblocks looks rather flat and slightly messy. I prefer you draw them the way it looked in v1.4. That version looks nicer.
Now I can move to my other suggestions.
2. Multiple text boxes. When using the text feature to make sprites or stages, you could only type text in one size, one font, one color and one place at a time. Could you please make it that you can add different places to type text on one stage/costume as well as be able to tilt text boxes?  Also make it possible for us to  be able to use multiple different fonts, colors, and sizes in the same text designation?
3. Viewing active scripts, one piece at a time. Here's an idea I'm fond of. Let me start by showing you a script for a sprite named "Stickman" in the best way I can.

when i receive [a cold v]
say [I think I have a cold...]
wait [2] secs
switch to costume [blows nose v]
play sound [loud sniffle v] until done
switch to costume [weak feeling v]
if <(belief) > [40]>
 say [I'm going to CVS for a remedy.]
 repeat [50]
  change x by [-15]
 end
 hide
stop all
We know that in the previous version, when a script is active, it has a yellow outline around the whole script. But my idea is that the script should be outlined (not glowing like in the 2.0 preview) both all at once and each active scratchblock at a time. Here's how it works:
First, when Stickman receives "a cold," the above script outlines itself orange, and the outline doesn't disappear until the script has been completely read. When the "say [ ]" block is doing what it does, a yellow outline appears around that block, and doesn't disappear until the block's procedure has been fully carried out (and in this case, until Stickman says something else). You may be asking, "What about the "~ when i receive { }" block?" Well, that block is different. The "say [ ]" and "wait [ ] secs" blocks both took a certain amount of time. The outline sequence also applies for other blocks that take certain amounts of time, like "say [ ] for [ ] secs", "play sound { } until done", and "glide [ ] secs to x: [ ] y: [ ]". Blocks like "switch to costume { }" and "hide", on the other hand, happen in less than a heartbeat. Their outline flashes a light blue when the block is activated. (While this is happening, the next block is already showing its outline because it has already activated.) The exact minute the outline appears, it quickly fades away in a choppy way. So does the "when i receive { }" work that way as well? Yes, but it has a white outline, as well as all blocks that cap scripts ("when gf clicked", "define { }", etc.) Now what about blocks that wrap around other blocks, like "if" and "forever"? They have a green outline that appears only when the script inside is being carried out. So if the variable (belief) is not more than 40, than the blocks inside will not light up, and the green outline will only appear and fade out, similar to the blue outline. Don't be fooled by user-created scratchblocks, though. They work like any other blocks. If the procedure takes some time, then the outline is yellow, otherwise it's blue. The final outline type is red. It appears when there is an activated block that stop scripts, like "stop script`" and "stop all`" (not "forever/" and "forever if/"). The outline appears, and takes a tiny bit of time before fading out.
Did you get all that? Yes? Great!
4. New stop signs. Before, there were only two stopping scratchblocks. One stopped the script it was attached to, and the other stopped everything. Here are two new stop blocks. 1) stop all active`: It stops all active scripts. 2) stop my active`: it stops only the sprite's active scripts.
5. No more blocky comments. Everybody likes adding scripts in their forum posts. Some people even make up scratchblocks! So if you do this...

repeat until bored
[blow up v] [alarm clock v] with <[bomb v] or [fire v] or [laser v]
end
(it) falls off [cliff v] <forever>

why do you get this?
repeat until bored
 [blow up v] [alarm clock v] with <[bomb v] or [fire v] or [laser v]
end
(it) falls off [cliff v] <forever>
I say it works like this: (Be sure to note that symbols like ~^` etc. are only to identify the blocks' form, and are not part of the wording on the block. So "~when i receive { }" would be known as the "when i receive" block, and "if < >|else" as "if/else".)

a nice rug!/
snug as
a bug
in a
rug!
hey, wait for me!

Result: The block "a nice rug!/" wraps around, because of the the forward-slash in front. It specifically wraps around the blocks "snug as", "a bug", "in a", and "rug!" because they have spaces before them.

wonder [why does the earth spin?] for [(.5)] hrs

Result: The part that reads "[(.5)]" is a text box, only rounded. It works like a 100% square text box (you type in both of them) but scratchblocks where you insert numbers (or variables) only, favor rounded text boxes.

~when hungry
eat {hamburger}

Result: The block "~when hungry" has a wavy bump on top (like the block "~when gf clicked"), due to the tilde in front. Also, it would better if [ v] for selection boxes were replaced with { }.

^why a hamburger?
because/
we're out of hot dogs
and fries

Result: The block "^why a hamburger?" has a pointy top (like "^define { }"), due to the exponent symbol in front.

~when bored
turn on tv
set {it} to [tv]
if show is great/
smile!
|otherwise...
destroy (it) with (bombs)

Result: The wraparound blocks "if show is great/" and "|otherwise..." are combined into a double-wraparound block, "if show is great|otherwise...", and looks like an E (similar to "if < >|else"), due to the vertical line in front of "|otherwise...".

~when i see {grumpy old man}
set {annoy target} to [old man]
repeat until (annoy target) <shouts in <a language i don't know>>/
play sound {go weegee!}
do {Go Weegee} dance
it's super effective!`

Result: the block "it's super effective!`" has no peg at the bottom, and cannot be connected to anything below it (like "stop script`"), due to the grave at the end.
    6. Well said! It would help to add stuff to the way sprites talk. Instead of either talking or thinking, could you add shouting (jaggy lines) and whispering (dotted lines)?
    7. There is a time for every tune. I once went crazy trying to do something in a project, where a character says things and a music loop plays itself again and again. In one part, he repeatedly says "Wait for it..." and gets closer to the screen, until the audience gets fed up and shouts "Just tell us already!!" When the shout comes, the music is supposed to stop, but it ignored everything and kept playing for no reason. I freaked out after trying everything and had to replace the loop with a real song in the end. I'm thinking to make a new scratchblock before this happens to another innocent Scratcher. Hence, the "repeat sound { } until finished/" wraparound block. When the blocks inside the wraparound block are at work, the selected sound (or tune) will play. And when the sound is done, it immediately plays itself again! But when all script wrapped inside has been read, the sound/tune immediately stops! There should also be a triple-wraparound block, "repeat sound { }|stop|pick up until finished". The first wrap works like previous block I mentioned. At the "|stop" wrap, the sound stops. But the final wrap picks up from where the sound originally cut off and then acts like the "repeat sound { }/" wrap. Here's an example.

repeat sound {Rainy Day}/
say [All that math...] for [(2)] secs
say [Gee, Thanks for the homework, Teacher!] for [(3)] secs
|stop
shout [NOT!!] for [(.5)] secs
|pick up until finished
say [This is ridiculous...]
    8. Note me in the forum world! I wish the new messages alert would tell me about others commenting on my forum thread topics as well as replying stuff in forums!
  Conclusion. Thanks for taking time to consider these changes. LR out!

Last edited by LRGonzales (2013-04-23 17:25:43)

I promote creativity. See what you can do w/o meme-spamming today!

#2 2013-04-04 16:02:06

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

Re: LRGonzales's suggestions for Scratch 2.0

It's scratch.mit.edu, not scratch.com. Just saying.  tongue

1- They will change, no matter what people say.
2- This can already be done in 2.0.
5- Blocks are used for people on Help with Scripts. People who add Blocks to talk/ spam are reported.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/BLU_Spy/Best-Cry-Ever_zps3b2b857a.gif Goodbye, 1.4... We'll miss you...

#3 2013-04-04 16:30:22

Hyperbola
Scratcher

1 - Support, but they'll still change anyway. I agree though - 1.4 looks more "Solid".
2 - Apparently already done.
3 - Would actually be really cool and helpful. Like Single step in 1.4. (Though I didn't read it all  tongue )
8 - I don't think the forum software and scratch link too well.
6 - Good idea! Though it might be confusing for new scratchers.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#4 2013-04-04 22:01:45

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

1. No. It is actually nicer and has more features than they could comfortably add here.

Please don't threaten with quitting, either. NEVER has the ST even thought about making a decision because one user wanted it.

2. Totally support.  smile

3. It would be waaayyy too fast, so it would be pretty much a blur...

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#5 2013-04-04 22:08:45

veggieman001
Scratcher

i dont understand #4... pressing the stop button/using the block can only stop active scripts anyway, since it stops those running... right?

#6 2013-04-04 22:09:21

jvvg
Scratcher

2. This is coming in 2.0  smile
3. At least in the current version, you can do that. (Edit -> Set Single Stepping -> Flash blocks (Fast))
4. I think you can stop all scripts on a sprite in 2.0.
5. "blockspam" annoys me too, but the policy is if the blocks are related to the post at all, they're allowed.

http://tiny.cc/zwgbewhttp://tiny.cc/e1gbewhttp://tiny.cc/zygbewhttp://tiny.cc/izgbew
Goodbye, Scratch 1.4  sad                                                        Hello Scratch 2.0!  smile

#7 2013-04-06 10:36:40

LRGonzales
Scratcher

NoxSpooth wrote:

It's scratch.mit.edu, not scratch.com. Just saying.  tongue

1- They will change, no matter what people say.
2- This can already be done in 2.0.
5- Blocks are used for people on Help with Scripts. People who add Blocks to talk/ spam are reported.

Arrgh, too many people accuse me of Blockspamming! You Guys need a proper explaining (or at least how I think it works).
This is helping.
"This script will make your character walk right."

when [right arrow v] key pressed
move [10] steps
This is a joke that uses Scratchblocks.
~when i wake up
play [Kirby's Epic Yarn v] for (who knows?) hours
realize [you missed Barney and Friends on tv v]
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!
This is an embellishment.
say [Until next time!] for [2] secs
end script
THIS is Blockspamming.
say [i liek nyan cat]
its fun
Also the rest of your critique wasn't very uplifting. Be more optimistic! Maybe if various people say they want it to be that way, Scratch.mit.edu will keep the web layout.

#8 2013-04-06 10:42:15

LRGonzales
Scratcher

Hyperbola wrote:

1 - Support, but they'll still change anyway. I agree though - 1.4 looks more "Solid".
3 - Would actually be really cool and helpful. Like Single step in 1.4. (Though I didn't read it all  tongue )

What's confusing about different speech bubbles? If it were confusing, then Scratch wouldn't have created the "think [ ]" block.

#9 2013-04-06 10:51:42

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

LRGonzales wrote:

This is helping.

move [10] steps

Agreed.

~when i wake up
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!

That's still blockspam. The worst kind of it.

end script

That also counts as blockspam.

Also the rest of your critique wasn't very uplifting. Be more optimistic! Maybe if various people say they want it to be that way, Scratch.mit.edu will keep the web layout.

But more people is saying that they want to change. And the Scratch Team worked a lot to make 2.0. They're improving the website, making it more modern.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/BLU_Spy/Best-Cry-Ever_zps3b2b857a.gif Goodbye, 1.4... We'll miss you...

#10 2013-04-06 12:15:38

Hyperbola
Scratcher

LRGonzales wrote:

Hyperbola wrote:

What's confusing about different speech bubbles? If it were confusing, then Scratch wouldn't have created the "think [ ]" block.

Oh, that makes sense. I had just thought new scratchers would be intimidated by a huge list of speech bubbles.

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

This is helping.

move [10] steps

Agreed.

+

~when i wake up
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!

If it's not in the testing area, or it's kinda off topic.

end script

But is usually not deleted as being spam.

Actually I think this is the worst kind of blockspam:

iawjrboai
abaioubo
say [wiabueaomiurba]

Yes, but sadly, no  sad

But more people is saying that they want to change. And the Scratch Team worked a lot to make 2.0. They're improving the website, making it more modern.

I feel 1.4 looks more modern than 2.0. Not is more modern. Looks. Which is still important.

Gtg, editing in a few weeks.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#11 2013-04-06 13:27:53

LRGonzales
Scratcher

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

This is helping.

move [10] steps

Agreed.

~when i wake up
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!

No, it's supposed to be a joke that uses Scratchblocks!

end script

I thought it would be cute because it uses scratchblocks!

But more people is saying that they want to change. And the Scratch Team worked a lot to make 2.0.

You're thinking on the wrong side of the bed STILL!

They're improving the website, making it more modern.

If "modern" means "caved in", then I can agree with that!
You should see what Hyperbola has to say about this conversation!

#12 2013-04-06 13:38:19

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

But that "joke" is spam.

And 1.4 is going to go, no matter what you say. Just deal with it.

#13 2013-04-06 13:50:38

LRGonzales
Scratcher

There's something you need to know...

LRGonzales wrote:

~when i wake up
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!

That wasn't supposed to be the name of a meme explosion that most people know with the letter that stands for an explicit word replaced with a symbol. It's the early name for a replacement for the SFX. I wanted to figure something more appropriate for small ones. It's meant to be pronounced "Witty!?"

#14 2013-04-06 14:00:49

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

LRGonzales wrote:

There's something you need to know...

LRGonzales wrote:

~when i wake up
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!

That wasn't supposed to be the name of a meme explosion that most people know with the letter that stands for an explicit word replaced with a symbol. It's the early name for a replacement for the SFX. I wanted to figure something more appropriate for small ones. It's meant to be pronounced "Witty!?"

Uh... I never said that it was explicit...  hmm

#15 2013-04-06 14:08:03

LRGonzales
Scratcher

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

Oh no...
Who can save me from nobody agreeing with my ideas?
And don't answer with "no one". > sad

#16 2013-04-06 14:26:10

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

Oh no...

Hm, you're not alone. As you said previously, there are other people who prefer 1.4. I really like this version, but I can't do anything about that. 2.0 is going to replace it.  hmm

#17 2013-04-06 14:39:55

LRGonzales
Scratcher

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

Oh no...

Hm, you're not alone. As you said previously, there are other people who prefer 1.4. I really like this version, but I can't do anything about that. 2.0 is going to replace it.  hmm

But how do you know there's some sort of force that prevents scratch.mit.edu from keeping the layout?

#18 2013-04-06 14:49:46

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

Oh no...

But how do you know there's some sort of force that prevents scratch.mit.edu from keeping the layout?

Because they worked really hard to make 2.0 (including the layout), I don't think they'll throw it away.

#19 2013-04-06 19:14:56

Hyperbola
Scratcher

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

This is helping.

move [10] steps

Agreed.

~when i wake up
play sound [WT^ BOOM]
explooooooooode!!!

No, it's supposed to be a joke that uses Scratchblocks!

Actually, it is perfectly fine if it isn't spammed randomly like here. If one posted that say, in the testing thread, it'd be alright. I don't know if a scratchblocks joke thread is allowed though.

LR wrote:

end script

I thought it would be cute because it uses scratchblocks!

It is [kinda cute], and I've seen people do it and not get reported as spam. Like

say [Thanks for helping!]

But more people is saying that they want to change. And the Scratch Team worked a lot to make 2.0.

You're thinking on the wrong side of the bed STILL!

They're improving the website, making it more modern.

If "modern" means "caved in", then I can agree with that!

Yes...! A simple app generally looks like some shapes put together, without much care for good boundaries or looks. A more complex one get's everything good to the pixel (or in games like captain forever, to the lines). What does 1.4 feel like? Now think about 2.0. You can see how 1.4 looks better.

At least a "Switch to old look" button would be good.

You should see what Hyperbola has to say about this conversation!

Um... Yes?

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

The joke's not spam if you put it in the testing thread.

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

Oh no...

Hi!

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

Oh no...

"Switch to old looks button"

I should go suggest that.

LRGonzales wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

LRGonzales wrote:

Oh no...

There isn't

Why am I going against BLU_Spy
He's known as an awesome scratcher

Lemme go make a poll.

#20 2013-04-07 04:00:53

kayybee
Scratcher

When using Scratchblocks:
Posts inside the testing area are fine as long as you're testing. (although it probably won't get removed if your playing around, a mod might say something)
They should only be used to show scripts such as when asking for help or giving help.

You should not need Scratchblocks any other time. Even if it is "cute".

I cannot address most of your suggestions right now but I will try later.

But for 1:
The Scratch Team has worked hard to design the new layout. Reverting not only wastes the work they have done, but also will disappoint some people, and it will also cut out on the new features. Such as the news sections.

For 6, if you really wanted your own custom speech bubbles, you could just draw them and put your text in or something. If you really wanted to make a good project in Scratch you probably shouldn't use any of the built in graphics, perhaps beside the numbers/text.

Or to show yelling you could just use an exclamation mark.

#21 2013-04-07 09:39:55

Hyperbola
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

For 6, if you really wanted your own custom speech bubbles, you could just draw them and put your text in or something.

Try to make a sprite consistently say some random gibberish (like "eiovsju aoiu taoiviojaw") correctly in a zigzag speech bubble. Nope, you can't do it.

I think that custom bubbles would actually encourage creativity by allowing more things to do in an animation.

#22 2013-04-09 01:52:43

kayybee
Scratcher

Hyperbola wrote:

kayybee wrote:

For 6, if you really wanted your own custom speech bubbles, you could just draw them and put your text in or something.

Try to make a sprite consistently say some random gibberish (like "eiovsju aoiu taoiviojaw") correctly in a zigzag speech bubble. Nope, you can't do it.

I think that custom bubbles would actually encourage creativity by allowing more things to do in an animation.

So you make a speech bubble for each line.

I mean like, the current speech bubbles are so inconvenient.

They're automatically sized and placed and cover like everything important on your screen.

Like the other character.

#23 2013-04-09 17:27:33

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Make a speech bubble say something random as in high information entropy. Not two different bubbles. Like saying a random number between 1 and 1000000?

#24 2013-04-09 18:03:42

joshuaho
Scratcher

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

That isn't going to change scratch 1.4 fan's feelings.

Did you know that you can go to space and see Mars by clicking here?

#25 2013-04-09 18:26:43

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

joshuaho wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

But that "joke" is spam.

That isn't going to change scratch 1.4 fan's feelings.

Sadly, you're right. I know that some people (like me) will miss the 1.4 website. But life is like that...

Helen Keller wrote:

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Board footer