This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-21 17:01:39

Nomolos
Scratcher

Yay for writing

I just wrote a prologue for a book I'm writing. Here ya go:

Emma ran down the curving hallway, left, right, left, right. She ran into a dead end and turned around with hesitation, desperate to get away. The platform under began crumbling and she leaped over, landing nimbly on the other side and continuing the sprint.
     Her sides ached, but she couldn’t stop, not now, not until she escaped. She couldn’t fail! It would bring shame and grief to her family and she would never see them again, never see anyone again.
     Left, left, right, dead end, backtrack, right, left, right, right, straight, dead end. The maze was endless. She glimpsed cameras tracking her movements but she didn’t care. She knew they were watching her, and would know if she failed, but still she ran, the walls and everything around her a blur.
     The walls were shining white. That meant she was close to the exit! And then she stopped. A large metal door barred her way, not a crack or hole marring it’s surface. Emma felt the metal, running her hand along it as fast as she could without missing anything. Nothing. She tried again, becoming more desperate as she heard the clanking and screeching of the crumbling metal behind her. There! A small flap blended in with the door so perfectly she could never of noticed had her hand not brushed it open.
     A minuscule keypad with nine numbers slightly glowed on the door. She cursed, but knew better than to type in random numbers. The collapse of the huge room would just speed up if she got it wrong.
     Emma felt the walls around her, looking for something similar to the flap that covered the keypad. There was none. Focus! She thought as her mind drifted to what would happen when her family found out she had failed, and that she would never be coming back.
     Studying the door again, she spotted a small purple light on a cord hanging from the top-left corner and jumped upward, trying and failing to reach it. The sounds of destruction grew closer, and she knew it was only a matter of time before the ground collapsed under her also.
     Deciding that the light was too high to reach, she pushed her feet off both walls on either side of her and jumped up, grasping the cord as she fell and pulling it down. The cord snapped, but the light stayed on. She pointed the light at the walls around her, and her heart fell even deeper in her chest then it was before.
     The floor at the end of the hallway she was in was collapsing, orange light shining from the acid below. She quickened her search, shining the light in every nook and cranny of the hall, until she found it. shining her light on the ceiling above, six numbers glowed brightly back to her. 527328.
She dropped the light and pulled the flap covering the keypad down again and punched in the numbers. A light clicked green, and the door began sliding open.
     Emma stepped back, but screamed and lunged forward. The collapse had advanced faster than before, and some of the eroding substance had splashed her bare foot as her shoe fell  in, hissing as it dissolved in the acid.
     Nearly hugging the door, she tried to slip in the large crack that the door had opened, but it was too small. Tears streamed down her face as she looked back at the ceiling, up at the camera pointed at her.
“Goodbye,” she cried, and fell backwards into the orange ooze, her endless scream as she evaporated echoing for what seemed like hours in the chamber. The door stopped opening and slid shut again while new platforms generated to replace the collapsed floor. A mechanical voice spoke from hidden speakers in the walls.
     “Emma Falcon has failed the cube. We wish her family humblest apology, and hope they will still be cooperative in letting their children take the test. If not, then Emma’s fate will meet them all.”

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-03-25 17:56:48)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#2 2013-03-21 18:18:22

Nomolos
Scratcher

Re: Yay for writing

Bump.

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.

#3 2013-03-23 08:15:22

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Great start! I liked it a lot. The way you wrote the action kept me reading, I wanted to know what happened to Emma.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#4 2013-03-23 11:26:29

fireheartocean
Scratcher

I really like it so far! Good luck with the rest of your book ^^

**May StarClan light your path**

#5 2013-03-23 16:33:03

Nomolos
Scratcher

Thank you both! I'm working on it when I can and hope I will finish it!

#6 2013-03-23 16:52:11

LeDerpy123
Scratcher

I really like it!

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/e107_files/downloadthumbs/logo_mixxx.png

#7 2013-03-23 17:20:29

Nomolos
Scratcher

LeDerpy123 wrote:

I really like it!

Thanks LeDerpy!

#8 2013-03-24 13:46:21

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Very good!

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#9 2013-03-24 13:50:29

banana500
Scratcher

I liked the way that you don't exactly explain what predicament she's in but that adds to the intrigue. I like this a lot so far and I see lots of potential in this.

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#10 2013-03-24 14:04:55

soupoftomato
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

I liked the way that you don't exactly explain what predicament she's in but that adds to the intrigue. I like this a lot so far and I see lots of potential in this.

Eh, I think the ending gives a lot away.

It's some sort of trap-maze thing called "the Cube" where random children are forced to go through for "testing". You die if you aren't compliant.

That doesn't explain why they are doing this, but the concept seems a little cliche.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#11 2013-03-25 10:21:40

Nomolos
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

That doesn't explain why they are doing this, but the concept seems a little cliche.

Just a little I hope. But anyway, the plot twists a lot during the book, and I'll probably post more excerpts some time, so stay tuned!

#12 2013-03-25 16:41:32

ieu99
Scratcher

It's really great and had me hooked from the start! Maybe on alteration could be a diferent word for "sludge" as it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the prolouge, I just googled a synonyms for it: glop, goo, goop, grease, gunk, mire, muck, oil, ooze, scum, sediment, silt, slime, slop, I prefeer ooze the best  big_smile

http://i49.tinypic.com/mwcvbd.png

#13 2013-03-25 17:18:26

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

It's some sort of trap-maze thing called "the Cube" where random children are forced to go through for "testing". You die if you aren't compliant.

Well yeah, it sounds like something out of the Maze Runner or Hunger Games, but if it can be told in a creative or inventive style then I'm all for it.

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#14 2013-03-25 17:56:29

Nomolos
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

Well yeah, it sounds like something out of the Maze Runner or Hunger Games, but if it can be told in a creative or inventive style then I'm all for it.

I don't know how it relates to hunger games, but I guess it can be compared to The Maze Runner.

#15 2013-03-25 21:33:00

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

I don't know how it relates to hunger games

scary evil dudes watching over the teenagers they are forcing to survive/do something

#16 2013-03-25 21:41:34

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

“Emma Falcon has failed the cube. We wish her family humblest apology, and hope they will still be cooperative in letting their children take the test. If not, then Emma’s fate will meet them all.”

Okay so:
• don't make a character reveal information in a way that seems far-fetched. we have no reason to believe that the parents can/are listening, and it just seems like a redundancy in that I'm guessing the parents already knew that
• emma falcon = cliché name
• the cube = not nearly scary-sounding enough, maybe you can fix with the rest of the story though

http://i39.tinypic.com/259j2mu.png

#17 2013-03-25 21:43:44

soupoftomato
Scratcher

dontbombiraq wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Okay so:
• don't make a character reveal information in a way that seems far-fetched. we have no reason to believe that the parents can/are listening, and it just seems like a redundancy in that I'm guessing the parents already knew that
• the cube = not nearly scary-sounding enough, maybe you can fix with the rest of the story though

I'd go with The Ultra-Hexahedral Homicidal Challenge Cube of Doom.
Emma is a cliche name?

#18 2013-03-25 21:52:27

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

dontbombiraq wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Okay so:

I'd go with The Ultra-Hexahedral Homicidal Challenge Cube of Doom.
Emma is a cliche name?

falcon is a cool word, but a very uncommonly-used last name; forgive me for not finding/thinking of a better word for the situation, I should have clarified.
The use of uncommon but cool-sounding last names in stories is cliché, not the name itself (necessarily)

http://i39.tinypic.com/259j2mu.png

#19 2013-03-28 10:18:06

Nomolos
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

banana500 wrote:

I don't know how it relates to hunger games

scary evil dudes watching over the teenagers they are forcing to survive/do something

Ahh, I get it.

@dontbombiraq: Personally, I like the last name Falcon, and I think it fits in with the end. Besides, that might not be Emma's true last name. I'm thinking that when they enter the cube, they are assigned a last name connecting to their talents. Emma is really fast, mind and body, so she got the name Falcon.

#20 2013-03-28 10:42:02

ieu99
Scratcher

Does anyone agree with my point?

http://i49.tinypic.com/mwcvbd.png

Board footer