This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-03-06 19:57:40

veggieman001
Scratcher

Re: Keep scratch 1.4!

Gravitation wrote:

1.4 will be available until 3.0.

I'm guessing it'll be available long after that, due to backups and such on the wiki.  wink

#27 2013-03-06 20:15:20

Nomolos
Scratcher

Gravitation wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

hmm

I know what you're feeling. It seems that you love Scratch 1.4 so much that you don't want it to go, right?

Well, I feel the same. But that's what life is for... Sometimes we have to leave some things behind to keep on moving.

About  2.0, don't worry.One day we'll get used to it. Also, it's not finished yet, so the Scratch Team is still fixing all the bugs...  tongue

Just don't quit because of the new website... Even though I don't know you very well, I do care about you.

+1

1.4 will be available until 3.0. Why leave? Sure, 2.0 isn't very appealing at first, but surely it's better than nothing? Remember when you started with Scratch for the very first time. It was uncomfortable. Why should the transition to 2.0 be different?

With all due respect, I really think we should get used to being in an uncomfortable environment. Rarely do you learn much without hardship.

The transition to Scratch 2.0 is only a fly above a sea of sharks. I'm pretty sure that, if you decided that you would not let the transition to 2.0 hinder you, it wouldn't. It's just a new interface.

3 years of hard work fighting the sharks on the ST's part. And you're afraid of the fly.

Wow. That was a pretty good speech.

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-03-06 20:15:26)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#28 2013-03-06 20:23:59

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

hmm

I know what you're feeling. It seems that you love Scratch 1.4 so much that you don't want it to go, right?

Well, I feel the same. But that's what life is for... Sometimes we have to leave some things behind to keep on moving.

About  2.0, don't worry.One day we'll get used to it. Also, it's not finished yet, so the Scratch Team is still fixing all the bugs...  tongue

Just don't quit because of the new website... Even though I don't know you very well, I do care about you.

+1

1.4 will be available until 3.0. Why leave? Sure, 2.0 isn't very appealing at first, but surely it's better than nothing? Remember when you started with Scratch for the very first time. It was uncomfortable. Why should the transition to 2.0 be different?

With all due respect, I really think we should get used to being in an uncomfortable environment. Rarely do you learn much without hardship.

The transition to Scratch 2.0 is only a fly above a sea of sharks. I'm pretty sure that, if you decided that you would not let the transition to 2.0 hinder you, it wouldn't. It's just a new interface.

3 years of hard work fighting the sharks on the ST's part. And you're afraid of the fly.

Specially the last phrase.

I HAVE SWITCHED ACCOUNTS! My new username is NoxSpooth.

#29 2013-03-06 20:49:00

jvvg
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

1.4 will be available until 3.0.

I'm guessing it'll be available long after that, due to backups and such on the wiki.  wink

I think it will be available as long as there is a website, so people can see older versions.

http://tiny.cc/zwgbewhttp://tiny.cc/e1gbewhttp://tiny.cc/zygbewhttp://tiny.cc/izgbew
Goodbye, Scratch 1.4  sad                                                        Hello Scratch 2.0!  smile

#30 2013-03-06 21:04:33

Nomolos
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

+1

Specially the last phrase.

Yeah. That was really good Grav!  big_smile

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.

#31 2013-03-07 00:24:35

Etellex
Scratcher

I like the 1.4 site a lot better, and there's absolutely no way I'm making projects the new way, but the ST is giving options to 1.4 supporters, like being able to make a project outside of Scratch, and then upload it. So I say: Good job ST for compromising.

Simplicity.

#32 2013-03-07 01:29:43

soniku3
Scratcher

Etellex wrote:

I like the 1.4 site a lot better, and there's absolutely no way I'm making projects the new way, but the ST is giving options to 1.4 supporters, like being able to make a project outside of Scratch, and then upload it. So I say: Good job ST for compromising.

Uhm. You just joined.

internet's all about cats today.

#33 2013-03-14 20:38:50

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher

I'm sorry about being such an idiot.

My computer had been running slow. I should've tried again. I got a few updates on the computer, and it runs smoothly! I feel like an imbecile now LOL. Please forgive me for being a jerk.  smile

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/jackdelamare/JPIV/JPIV-Userbar2.png after seven years of development fails I'm impatient... IT MUST COME

#34 2013-03-14 20:49:56

Liamadams
Scratcher

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

We love scratch 1.4! It's fun, and matches our typical needs. I know that the new one has MOTION DETECTION MUMBO-JUMBO and stuff, but 1.4 is good enough! Whenever I try to even OPEN a project on Scratch 2.0 It doesn't load the page! I use a pretty fast computer, and I"m NOT going to pay 800+ dollars for a new computer!
2.0 is laggy when loading.
It's somewhat like facebook!
It's making programming a little TOO simple. Programming isn't simple- if we grow up and try to be computer programmers, scratch would be so easy, this "other stuff" would be SUPER hard.

Notify the mods on scratch about this, and hope for the best.
Keep 1.4! who's with me?

true. We do need 1.4, i saw 2.0 and i don't like it much. I just wanted new blocks and the glitches fixed. Now i go to 2.0 and the site has completely CHANGED. Also the glitches weren't fixed, new glitches were added.  sad

http://i39.tinypic.com/3309476.jpg

#35 2013-03-14 20:53:16

ArtStarArtist
Scratcher

soniku3 wrote:

ArtStarArtist wrote:

Keep 1.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you switch to 1.4 to 2.0 THEN i will quit..

You aren't even on here for a year.

I have been more than 1 year, It's 4 or 5 years been on scratch, before this account was made.

PLEASE ENTER!!  big_smile
Don't worry you child CC

#36 2013-03-14 20:54:16

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

Liamadams wrote:

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

We love scratch 1.4! It's fun, and matches our typical needs. I know that the new one has MOTION DETECTION MUMBO-JUMBO and stuff, but 1.4 is good enough! Whenever I try to even OPEN a project on Scratch 2.0 It doesn't load the page! I use a pretty fast computer, and I"m NOT going to pay 800+ dollars for a new computer!
It's making programming a little TOO simple. Programming isn't simple- if we grow up and try to be computer programmers, scratch would be so easy, this "other stuff" would be SUPER hard.

Keep 1.4! who's with me?

true. We do need 1.4, i saw 2.0 and i don't like it much. I just wanted new blocks and the glitches fixed. Now i go to 2.0 and the site has completely CHANGED. Also the glitches weren't fixed, new glitches were added.  sad

Because it's not finished yet. They're still working on it, and soon they'll fix the glitches...

But I agree that the website has completely changed.

I HAVE SWITCHED ACCOUNTS! My new username is NoxSpooth.

#37 2013-03-14 23:05:53

kayybee
Scratcher

Liamadams wrote:

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

Keep 1.4! who's with me?

So what if the website has completely changed? That creates excitement in lives (well not particularly this, but change in general) because without change our lives would be boring. Very. Learn to love change.

#38 2013-03-15 11:29:44

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

I'm sorry about being such an idiot.

My computer had been running slow. I should've tried again. I got a few updates on the computer, and it runs smoothly! I feel like an imbecile now LOL. Please forgive me for being a jerk.  smile

Er... guys? Did you read this? I'm OKAY with it now, since my computer problems were fixed. So no problems anymore.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/jackdelamare/JPIV/JPIV-Userbar2.png after seven years of development fails I'm impatient... IT MUST COME

#39 2013-03-15 11:30:58

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher

oh- and yeah. It doesn't make programming simple. I tried 2.0, and it's harder- in a good way, of course.

#40 2013-03-15 15:26:39

OrcaCat
Scratcher

In my opinion, real languages are simpler than Scratch. Scratch is just "dumbed down".

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#41 2013-03-15 15:28:43

Nomolos
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

In my opinion, real languages are simpler than Scratch. Scratch is just "dumbed down".

Actually, Scratch is just as a real language as any other. It just:

1.) Uses objects instead of text
2.) Can't do as much as other languages

Scratch is very similar to Python also, I was just comparing the two languages earlier today.

#42 2013-03-15 15:37:35

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Actually, Scratch is just as a real language as any other. It just:

1.) Uses objects instead of text
2.) Can't do as much as other languages

Scratch is very similar to Python also, I was just comparing the two languages earlier today.

That's why I do Python  tongue

Well, what I mean simpler, is that you don't have to make workarounds for everything. Reversing lists, sorting lists, averaging lists, slicing, indexing, etc., are included in Python, just to name a few. You have to have slightly complicated workarounds in Scratch for all of those. Also, if you wanted something in Scratch, such as "open URL", you would have to mod Scratch. But you could make it in Python.

Oops (get it?  lol ), the standard Python library doesn't support averaging, but I made one myself  big_smile

Last edited by OrcaCat (2013-03-15 15:38:49)

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#43 2013-03-15 15:54:15

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher

Okay, people, could you move this conversation to another place? Oh, and since my being an idiot is over, I think I'm going to ask a mod to close it.

#44 2013-03-15 15:58:56

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Closed by request of the topic owner.

Thanks for opening up the discussion.  We do care about losing members and we do want the 2.0 site to be a fun and exciting place for people to create and share.  So please keep checking in on the Beta site and letting us know what works well and what could use some more improving.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer