This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-02-05 20:15:53

bertdog
Scratcher

For anyone working with the scratch co.

I like scratch, but I'm never on the computer and that's the problem. Here are the reasons

1. School
2. Brothers on scratch
3. Other people doing school
I know it's not much but all lot of scratchers have these problems.
What's my suggestion? I have two. Both involve devices.
Get rid of the flash player. Then people can use the 2.0 to make projects and look at projects. Find something else to replace the flash.

Number 2 is that you make an app for scratch. My thought is that you can learn to make apps for any device. Come on. Broaden your scope!

Now I understand that not everyone that has a scratch profile has a device but I'm just saying ideas here. Don't object with that reason.

Well scratch? What do you think?

EDIT: if anyone requests the app "puffin" here is my answer..... "IM NOT 17!!!!!!!"

Last edited by bertdog (2013-02-05 20:26:21)

"Losers quit when they are tired,Winners quit when they are done." smile http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=bertdog&action=onlineStatus

#2 2013-02-06 03:39:33

kayybee
Scratcher

Re: For anyone working with the scratch co.

When an app says "17+" it really depends on the context.
If it's just an internet browser, it should be okay as you used one to post that.

Mobile Safari, the one that comes installed with your iDevice, is actually 17+ because it can have adult content, but mostly isn't used for that. So if everyone followed the 17+ app rule, then anyone under 17 shouldn't be allowed to own iPods, iPhones, iPads, or any computer with internet access.

So if you're worried just have your parent review the app or something.
=======
I think there are several (main) reasons for using Flash:
1. They started several years ago, when Flash was more popular.
2. It's better than Java running Scratch, even though maybe not the best.
3. It's fairly universal on computers.

And also, I'm fairly sure the Scratch Team would love to have Scratch on all devices possible, but apps cannot just be "poofed" up wherever you want.
They actually have to develop them, so "broadening their scope" is not as easy as it seems, especially not for every single device. They'd have to REPROGRAM the entire program of Scratch, every single block, the interface, etc. Besides the fact that Apple doesn't allow apps to run code downloaded from an external site, but perhaps they can work things out later.

I'm also pretty sure if the Scratch Team had a "Flash to whatever language you want" converter, they'd use it for like HTML5 or something. But they don't. And so they have to recode it in HTML5 when 2.0 is released. I think that's their plans. I read Lightnin's post somewhere. I think.

#3 2013-02-06 06:45:46

soniku3
Scratcher

get the rid of flash? dream. dont you have free time

internet's all about cats today.

#4 2013-02-06 08:10:30

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

soniku3 wrote:

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#5 2013-02-06 09:04:18

bertdog
Scratcher

What I'm saying for reason 2 is that scratch makes an app TO make apps. You know what I mean.

"Losers quit when they are tired,Winners quit when they are done." smile http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=bertdog&action=onlineStatus

#6 2013-02-06 09:12:42

technoguyx
Scratcher

bertdog wrote:

My thought is that you can learn to make apps for any device. Come on. Broaden your scope!

You go make your own block-based programming language in HTML5, then.  tongue  Because anyone can create and maintain such an huge project like Scratch, right?

It doesn't work like that.

While an HTML5 player would be the ideal way to go, given that Apple has single-handly killed the use of Flash in mobile devices, you gotta consider that the Scratch team cannot simply magically convert Scratch 2.0, a version that hasn't even been officially released yet, to another entirely different platform.

Scratch 2.0 took about 3 years to develop - we've been waiting for it since it was announced, few months after the release of Scratch 1.4 if I remember correctly. Scratch is a free, non-commercial project by the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at MIT - they rely in donations (in money or not) and volunteer work (the Scratch Team is mostly made of MIT students and professors) to keep providing this service to everyone.

While a major IT company could just hire some specialized developers to take on such a drastical change as reprogramming Scratch in HTML5, the Lifelong Kindergarten Group can't.

In short: Yes, it would be nice, but the Scratch Team simply doesn't have the time or resources to pull this off.

There are also projects such as "Snap!" (formerly BYOB), a remix of Scratch whose upcoming release is being written in HTML5 (I believe)

(side note: it is still possible to run Flash in Android (because Apple ftl), though I don't know how well it'd run Scratch 2.0.)

Last edited by technoguyx (2013-02-06 09:16:32)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#7 2013-02-06 09:43:18

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

bertdog wrote:

My thought is that you can learn to make apps for any device. Come on. Broaden your scope!

You go make your own block-based programming language in HTML5, then.  tongue  Because anyone can create and maintain such an huge project like Scratch, right?

It doesn't work like that.

While an HTML5 player would be the ideal way to go, given that Apple has single-handly killed the use of Flash in mobile devices, you gotta consider that the Scratch team cannot simply magically convert Scratch 2.0, a version that hasn't even been officially released yet, to another entirely different platform.

Scratch 2.0 took about 3 years to develop - we've been waiting for it since it was announced, few months after the release of Scratch 1.4 if I remember correctly. Scratch is a free, non-commercial project by the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at MIT - they rely in donations (in money or not) and volunteer work (the Scratch Team is mostly made of MIT students and professors) to keep providing this service to everyone.

While a major IT company could just hire some specialized developers to take on such a drastical change as reprogramming Scratch in HTML5, the Lifelong Kindergarten Group can't.

In short: Yes, it would be nice, but the Scratch Team simply doesn't have the time or resources to pull this off.

There are also projects such as "Snap!" (formerly BYOB), a remix of Scratch whose upcoming release is being written in HTML5 (I believe)

(side note: it is still possible to run Flash in Android (because Apple ftl), though I don't know how well it'd run Scratch 2.0.)

Yeah, ST does not have time to work on a HUGE project like an HTML5 block language. You could see what it would take and try it, but you would NOT get far.

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#8 2013-02-06 10:19:59

veggieman001
Scratcher

mythbusteranimator wrote:

Yeah, ST does not have time to work on a HUGE project like an HTML5 block language. You could see what it would take and try it, but you would NOT get far.

It's quite possible that he could get far, especially if he based it on existing things like sb2.js or MathWizz's thing.

And the Scratch Team have announced that they'll work on an HTML5 player/editor, sometime after Scratch 2.0 is released. So it'll be a while, but it will likely happen.

#9 2013-02-06 19:00:30

Mokat
Scratcher

soniku3 wrote:

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#10 2013-02-06 23:00:01

lalala3
Scratcher

soniku3 wrote:

get the [extra word; should be removed] rid of flash? dream. [That doesn't make sense. Do you, perhaps, mean, "dream on"?] don[']t you have free time(?) [Punctuate, please.]

You know what I see? I see that the one talking about others having free time (you) doesn't consider it worth their own time to
1) Capitalize words.
2) Utilize correct grammar.
3) Research the proper usage of colloquial phrases/expressions used in the post.
4) Punctuate.

On an actually relevant matter, he has siblings, you know, so he can't spend all his free time on the computer for the reasons listed in his post. Scratch programming takes time. Lots of time.

Last edited by lalala3 (2013-02-06 23:00:09)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9374/signature2nt.png

#11 2013-02-06 23:08:25

veggieman001
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

he has siblings, you know

How would we know this?
Also, don't criticise soniku3 too harshly on how he writes—English is not his first language, IIRC.

#12 2013-02-06 23:13:27

lalala3
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

How would we know this?

Well...

bertdog wrote:

2. Brothers on scratch

Behold.

veggieman001 wrote:

Also, don't criticise soniku3 too harshly on how he writes—English is not his first language, IIRC.

1. Well, my bad. I tend to expect that, when people don't bother capitalizing and punctuating, that the language they are using is their first language. Which is, if you think about it, not all that unreasonable.
2. It's still just as bad, given what I put in #1.

Last edited by lalala3 (2013-02-06 23:14:46)

#13 2013-02-06 23:19:14

veggieman001
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

How would we know this?

Well...

bertdog wrote:

2. Brothers on scratch

Behold.

veggieman001 wrote:

1. Well, my bad. I tend to expect that, when people don't bother capitalizing and punctuating, that the language they are using is their first language. Which is, if you think about it, not all that unreasonable.
2. It's still just as bad, given what I put in #1.

Sure, he could use better punctuation and capitalisation but complaining about his wording is a little ridiculous.
Plus there's really no need to criticise how people type; people are free to write however they want; you only really need to do something like that if you honestly don't know what they mean.
But we've gone off-topic. Apologies.

#14 2013-02-07 07:59:03

Mokat
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

get the [extra word; should be removed] rid of flash? dream. [That doesn't make sense. Do you, perhaps, mean, "dream on"?] don[']t you have free time(?) [Punctuate, please.]

You know what I see? I see that the one talking about others having free time (you) doesn't consider it worth their own time to
1) Capitalize words.
3) Research the proper usage of colloquial phrases/expressions used in the post.
4) Punctuate.

On an actually relevant matter, he has siblings, you know, so he can't spend all his free time on the computer for the reasons listed in his post. Scratch programming takes time. Lots of time.

Soniku3 is Dutch.
And I don't know why having siblings would affect free time...

Last edited by Mokat (2013-02-07 08:01:54)

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#15 2013-02-07 09:56:34

veggieman001
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

Soniku3 is Dutch.

The brothers on Scratch could be using the computer so that he couldn't.

#16 2013-02-07 12:58:03

technoguyx
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

I don't see how would an iOS app help him - even with that, he still has to take care of his siblings (if this is the reason he has less time) and study at, and for school. Programming, like any other long-term work such as writing and recording music, or drawing and processing said drawings, also take time.

If you ain't got free time for any of these activities, there's not much you can do about it, except organizing the little free time you got, to be as productive as possible.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#17 2013-02-07 15:24:58

zammer990
Scratcher

Well, this has gotten a bit off topic. But anyway, this isn't going to happen, the scratch team don't have the resources nor the widespread want for this for this to happen.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ynq7nn.jpg Play now!

#18 2013-02-07 15:53:34

jukyter
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

maybe you could be less of a jerk  smile
just a thought

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#19 2013-02-07 16:03:00

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

just a thought

Grammar nazi? Yes.  tongue
Jerk? Nah.

#20 2013-02-07 20:14:01

ImagineIt
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

jukyter wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

just a thought

Grammar nazi? Yes.  tongue
Jerk? Nah.

#21 2013-02-07 21:24:26

lalala3
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

Soniku3 is Dutch.

That does not explain the capitalization or punctuation.

#22 2013-02-07 21:38:59

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

Mokat wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

On an actually relevant matter, he has siblings, you know, so he can't spend all his free time on the computer for the reasons listed in his post. Scratch programming takes time. Lottime.

Soniku3 is Dutch.s of

Uhh, I don't see how it doesn't.
You don't need to learn proper capitalization or punctuation to speak most of English.

#23 2013-02-07 21:55:50

lalala3
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

Mokat wrote:

Soniku3 is Dutch.s[/i] of

You don't need to learn proper capitalization or punctuation to speak most of English.

The rule about capitalizing words at the beginning of sentences also applies in Dutch, Q.E.D.

#24 2013-02-07 23:31:19

kayybee
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

The rule about capitalizing words at the beginning of sentences also applies in Dutch, Q.E.D.

um... but just cause you speak English doesn't mean you automatically capitalize words. most people don't and as long as sentences are separated it shouldn't matter. in fact, capital letters should be removed. they're useless...

especially in German where you have to capitalize every noun.

#25 2013-02-08 02:02:49

soniku3
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

soniku3 wrote:

1) Capitalize words.
4) Punctuate.

I did that on purpose , do you think I don't know how to write?

internet's all about cats today.

Board footer