This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-06-16 07:03:23

Wes64
Scratcher

Project theft solution

Theft should be dealt with more severely. I see stolen projects at least 5 times a day. My projects are each copied at least 2-3 times on average. Some users have whole pages of copied projects. Sometimes a stolen project even makes it onto the front page.

I say if the scratch team concludes a project is stolen/copied, the copier gets a warning. Next time they steal, 2 day ban from sharing projects. For each offense after this, the ban doubles. So 4 days > 8 > 16 > etc...

For this, we could have a team of trusted users like with SDS, whose job is to go through all the projects marked as stolen. This would lessen the workload on the Scratch Team.

Last edited by Wes64 (2012-06-17 18:08:48)

Experienced 2.0 Tester: Ask me questions!
Using Firefox 13.0, Flash plugin version 11.4.402.287, and Windows XP Professional.

#2 2012-06-16 07:16:18

777w
Scratcher

Re: Project theft solution

with direct remixing its easy to find the original creator though
ive actually discovered a method to steal projects without directly remixing them which i will not share in case anybody actually uses it
i attempted to demonstrate this method but the project was removed since it was a copy even though i clearly stated that it was to show you that you can in fact steal projects and possibly get away with it
anyway, i think, unfortunately, the st will not put this idea into action since it would discourage remixing which is a big part of the idea behind scratch

Last edited by 777w (2012-06-16 07:18:27)

#3 2012-06-16 07:29:40

Wes64
Scratcher

777w wrote:

anyway, i think, unfortunately, the st will not put this idea into action since it would discourage remixing which is a big part of the idea behind scratch

It doesn't discourage remixing, it discourages blatant theft.

Using Firefox 13.0, Flash plugin version 11.4.402.287, and Windows XP Professional.

#4 2012-06-16 07:30:54

777w
Scratcher

Wes64 wrote:

777w wrote:

but i dont think theyll do it anyway

#5 2012-06-16 07:40:48

Wes64
Scratcher

777w wrote:

Wes64 wrote:

777w wrote:

but i dont think theyll do it anyway

It is a large scale problem though. People are learning to share and respect others work, and learning how to be part of a community, which is all great. But they are also learning that theft is not a big problem because they get let off easy.

We have to draw the line somewhere. I love the concept of remixing, and I think it is wonderful. But I hate how easy it is for people to blatantly steal and take all the credit for someone else's work.

#6 2012-06-16 08:00:25

northmeister
Scratcher

Lots of my projects are remixed without the remixer changing anything. I reported them, and it said remixing is allowed and you have to try to support it or something. I agree when they change stuff, but not if they don't change anything. In my minecraft series, someone copied Minecraft Cool Stuff Part 7, kept the title exactly the same (they didn't even change it to part 1 as they hadn't made any before), they kept the notes the same with my upcoming projects and such, and it got quite a few views from people who didn't see the based on sign and thought that they had made it. I've seen quite a few copied projects without a based on link, when the copiers import the project into a new project, and it's completely unacceptable.

Last edited by northmeister (2012-06-16 08:00:40)

http://i48.tinypic.com/5a25g5.png

#7 2012-06-16 08:13:55

Wes64
Scratcher

northmeister wrote:

Lots of my projects are remixed without the remixer changing anything. I reported them, and it said remixing is allowed and you have to try to support it or something. I agree when they change stuff, but not if they don't change anything. In my minecraft series, someone copied Minecraft Cool Stuff Part 7, kept the title exactly the same (they didn't even change it to part 1 as they hadn't made any before), they kept the notes the same with my upcoming projects and such, and it got quite a few views from people who didn't see the based on sign and thought that they had made it. I've seen quite a few copied projects without a based on link, when the copiers import the project into a new project, and it's completely unacceptable.

Exactly. Just because Scratch is full of kids doesn't mean we can go easy on them when they break rules. Especially rules that will be constant throughout your whole life (Don't steal)

Today I received an admin message saying something along the lines of "Remixing is important and you should uphold the values of it" after I flagged over 5 copies of this.
Edit: Out of all those copies, 2-3 were by the same person.

As much as I support remixing, I cannot support theft.

Last edited by Wes64 (2012-06-16 08:22:45)

#8 2012-06-16 08:34:30

northmeister
Scratcher

Wes64 wrote:

northmeister wrote:

Exactly. Just because Scratch is full of kids doesn't mean we can go easy on them when they break rules. Especially rules that will be constant throughout your whole life (Don't steal)

Today I received an admin message saying something along the lines of "Remixing is important and you should uphold the values of it" after I flagged over 5 copies of this.

Were they remixes, or was there no 'based on' link? It doesn't say there are any remixes for that project, so how can the ST send you that message when they didn't remix, they just copied?

Last edited by northmeister (2012-06-16 08:36:02)

http://i48.tinypic.com/5a25g5.png

#9 2012-06-16 08:38:24

Wes64
Scratcher

northmeister wrote:

Wes64 wrote:

northmeister wrote:

Were they remixes, or was there no 'based on' link? It doesn't say there are any remixes, so how can the ST send you that message when they didn't remix, they just copied?

For some reason they showed up as remixes of this. I'm not sure why, must be a glitch.

There were based-on links, but I think the scratch team misunderstood my flagging due to the glitch.

Edit: I emailed that to the scratch team so it will probably be sorted out.

Last edited by Wes64 (2012-06-16 08:38:48)

#10 2012-06-16 09:09:23

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

This is a problem, I saw someone who copied a Bobbyf project, didn't change a thing, and got some comments and several views. But seriously, he copied a Bobbyf project, one of the most famous main siters, who gets front paged with this stuff! He copied it and expects that noone will notice. Where is the common sense in that?

Last edited by sonicfan12p (2012-06-16 09:09:52)

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

#11 2012-06-16 11:16:51

777w
Scratcher

i think the best idea would be to make the "based on" thing more apparent, or even invent a whole new system entirely where, say, it shows a message before the project even starts

#12 2012-06-16 18:35:41

Wes64
Scratcher

777w wrote:

i think the best idea would be to make the "based on" thing more apparent, or even invent a whole new system entirely where, say, it shows a message before the project even starts

That sounds good. I suppose the remixing system would have to become more trustworthy though, because there are ways to escape having the "based on" thing.

#13 2012-06-16 19:18:12

Lucario621
Community Moderator

There's no such thing as "stealing" projects on the Scratch website - by uploading a project, you agree that anybody can remix it, make changes, and upload it again to share with others. In general though, if a project is a direct copy (without any changes), then you can report it, and it will be removed - otherwise, it will stay.

In my opinion though, I consider it an honor to have one of my projects remixed. It basically means that they really liked the project, so they were inspired to download it, make changes (sometimes), and share it with their friends! The only situation where I might be angry is if somebody copied my project, and got front page.

The first two projects you linked to in your post did have changes, so they are not copies. Most likely the other projects also had changes too. Remember that remixing and making small changes is one of the easiest ways that people learn about how Scratch projects work, and what different blocks do - not all remixes will add a dozen new features.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#14 2012-06-16 19:23:01

Mokat
Scratcher

Support. It is annoying when you see people who completely copy a project and claim it as their own, usually New Scratchers who want to be "popular" and they think they will get views for copying from popular Scratchers.

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#15 2012-06-16 19:38:47

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

While we do very much support remixing - as it is a great way to learn and build on each other's ideas - we do not allow copying of projects.  And we do insist that credit be given to the original author when a project is remixed.  The credit may be the automatic credit : "based on a project by ...".  We also like to see direct acknowledgement from the person making the remix - but the automatic credit is sufficient.

If you feel that a project was copied - or somebody is trying to take all the credit for a project that is a remix - please flag it.  We have moderators that look into any project that is flagged and will try and determine the situation.  If they find that it is a copy or a case of credit stealing, then action is taken.  A simple warning is usually sent for a first offense - since many beginners experiment with the Share button and accidentally can create a copy - but if the activity continues, it can result in an account block.

I'm not sure we need a team of trusted users helping out in this area - at this time anyway.  Just flag it when you see it.  Thanks for the idea though, and we'll keep it in mind.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#16 2012-06-16 20:41:35

Mokat
Scratcher

I see a bunch of Caramellstar51's, Jonzo's, Spritemaster's, and other famous scratcher's projects being copied by exporting all of the sprites. i flag the copy and tell the original creator of the project.

Last edited by Mokat (2012-06-17 13:56:12)

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#17 2012-06-16 21:32:05

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

While we do very much support remixing - as it is a great way to learn and build on each other's ideas - we do not allow copying of projects.  And we do insist that credit be given to the original author when a project is remixed.  The credit may be the automatic credit : "based on a project by ...".  We also like to see direct acknowledgement from the person making the remix - but the automatic credit is sufficient.

If you feel that a project was copied - or somebody is trying to take all the credit for a project that is a remix - please flag it.  We have moderators that look into any project that is flagged and will try and determine the situation.  If they find that it is a copy or a case of credit stealing, then action is taken.  A simple warning is usually sent for a first offense - since many beginners experiment with the Share button and accidentally can create a copy - but if the activity continues, it can result in an account block.

I'm not sure we need a team of trusted users helping out in this area - at this time anyway.  Just flag it when you see it.  Thanks for the idea though, and we'll keep it in mind.

Though with 2.0 coming up, i have an idea.
Maybe there is some way that the editor can check to see if the new project file is the exact same as the old one, minus the section about what the project is based on.  True, there would be many ways to cheat this, but at least it would prevent about 90% of direct copies (my estimate), so it may be worth putting into place.
TL,DR: Machine check each file to see if it's a duplicate
TL,DR:TL,DR: Machine check thing for double  smile

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#18 2012-06-17 02:52:14

Wes64
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

There's no such thing as "stealing" projects on the Scratch website - by uploading a project, you agree that anybody can remix it, make changes, and upload it again to share with others. In general though, if a project is a direct copy (without any changes), then you can report it, and it will be removed - otherwise, it will stay.

In my opinion though, I consider it an honor to have one of my projects remixed. It basically means that they really liked the project, so they were inspired to download it, make changes (sometimes), and share it with their friends! The only situation where I might be angry is if somebody copied my project, and got front page.

The first two projects you linked to in your post did have changes, so they are not copies. Most likely the other projects also had changes too. Remember that remixing and making small changes is one of the easiest ways that people learn about how Scratch projects work, and what different blocks do - not all remixes will add a dozen new features.  smile

I use the word stealing to refer to copying.

#19 2012-06-17 06:00:56

JH1010
Scratcher

I have never had one of my projects stolen, but I have never had one of my projects remixed.

#20 2012-06-17 13:35:24

TorbyFork234
Scratcher

I don't support.

Many new scratchers are trying to see how the scratch program works. They look at the front page and say, "Hey, these projects are so good they're on the front page. What is it?"
Then they see it, and sometimes are amazed enough to download it to see how it works. Then they start experimenting by changing a number here and there, changing the color effect by somewhat. It helps them learn about the scratch program.

But, I also flag outright copies, or ones with the exact same project notes with almost no changes. But I think they have the right to upload a tinkered with project.

#21 2012-06-17 14:00:30

Mokat
Scratcher

TorbyFork234 wrote:

I don't support.

Many new scratchers are trying to see how the scratch program works. They look at the front page and say, "Hey, these projects are so good they're on the front page. What is it?"
Then they see it, and sometimes are amazed enough to download it to see how it works. Then they start experimenting by changing a number here and there, changing the color effect by somewhat. It helps them learn about the scratch program.

But, I also flag outright copies, or ones with the exact same project notes with almost no changes. But I think they have the right to upload a tinkered with project.

but what he s talking about is not about remixes. Hes talking about complete copies.

#22 2012-06-17 14:12:47

TorbyFork234
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

TorbyFork234 wrote:

I don't support.

but what he s talking about is not about remixes. Hes talking about complete copies.

Yes, but sometimes I see projects that are described by me above, with people saying that it's a complete copy. It's there, because there are a lot of topics like these, encouraging people to look for copies and flag them.

#23 2012-06-17 18:05:43

Wes64
Scratcher

TorbyFork234 wrote:

I don't support.

I am mostly talking about complete copies that people are taking credit for. Its ok to do what you described, but not take a copy and say it is your own work.

#24 2012-06-17 18:17:07

TorbyFork234
Scratcher

Wes64 wrote:

TorbyFork234 wrote:

I don't support.

I am mostly talking about complete copies that people are taking credit for. Its ok to do what you described, but not take a copy and say it is your own work.

But what if they say nothing at all, what if they have no project notes?

#25 2012-06-17 18:21:30

Andres-Vander
Scratcher

Wes64 wrote:

The line between theft and remixing on scratch includes minor color changes and "made by someone" somewhere on the page

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2260823/flugelhorn-feline-o.gif

Board footer