This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1401 2013-03-02 19:00:56

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

Re: User-made Scary Stories

opiegs wrote:

777w wrote:

get back on topic

okay;once,there was a guy named shmnelvin.he was an astronaut.he studied black holes.(prepare for a runon sentence) he went to a blackhole and was pulled in by...seemingly himself?they

met a creepy guy in it,they killed him out of anger, his last words were ,i am you, they then died
this happens to someone new every day. are you next?

duhhhh i am obviously next

also no trollpasta :s

http://media.tumblr.com/ef092817bb0546c54787e8fa6932bd1f/tumblr_inline_mjvk9eXdM61qz4rgp.gif

#1402 2013-03-02 19:37:12

soupoftomato
Scratcher

I  love how like no creepypastas have characterization.

"I LOVE GAMES"
"something creepy happened in one"
"it haunts me to this day!!!!11!!!1 oooOOOOoo00OOOo0!"

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#1403 2013-03-02 20:38:10

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

"I LOVE GAMES"

Creepypastas are mostly written by amateurs who don't understand the main elements of a short story:

1. Characterization - every story needs characters it's common knowledge, but you also need to give them emotional depth. Give them background, give them personality!

2. Dialogue - another part of characterization. Creepypastas usually have little to no dialogue and that really kills the characters, dialogue is supposed to express their personality.

3. Well Organized Plot - a story needs to have good sequence, events and significant details need time to flesh out and flow correctly, most creepypastas I've seen really rush this, they are in too much of a hurry to "get to the point".

4. Suspense - a story really needs to grab the reader and keep him interested, it needs to be ACTUALLY CREEPY. Few creepypastas succeed in this area. Give the reader a reason to keep reading. Create obstacles for the character, physical or psychological.

At least this is what I think are the main elements, I might have left a couple out..
I'm not the best writer in general but at least I have some knowledge on what fictional narratives should contain (I'm a very prolific reader).

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#1404 2013-03-02 20:48:51

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

"I LOVE GAMES"

Creepypastas are mostly written by amateurs who don't understand the main elements of a short story:

1. Characterization - every story needs characters it's common knowledge, but you also need to give them emotional depth. Give them background, give them personality!

2. Dialogue - another part of characterization. Creepypastas usually have little to no dialogue and that really kills the characters, dialogue is supposed to express their personality.

3. Well Organized Plot - a story needs to have good sequence, events and significant details need time to flesh out and flow correctly, most creepypastas I've seen really rush this, they are in too much of a hurry to "get to the point".

4. Suspense - a story really needs to grab the reader and keep him interested, it needs to be ACTUALLY CREEPY. Few creepypastas succeed in this area. Give the reader a reason to keep reading. Create obstacles for the character, physical or psychological.

At least this is what I think are the main elements, I might have left a couple out..
I'm not the best writer in general but at least I have some knowledge on what fictional narratives should contain (I'm a very prolific reader).

honestly jeff the killer was quite amatuerish imo

http://media.tumblr.com/ef092817bb0546c54787e8fa6932bd1f/tumblr_inline_mjvk9eXdM61qz4rgp.gif

#1405 2013-03-02 21:22:25

Animeboy975
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

"I LOVE GAMES"

My furby story had all of those

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zqr6o6.gifMiiverse:Ryanshy47

#1406 2013-03-02 21:26:56

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Animeboy975 wrote:

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

"I LOVE GAMES"

Repost and I could check!

EDIT: found

If I am truthful, it only truly succeeded in having a decently organized plot.

The one thing I take issue with is on banana500's list is dialogue - it is not necessary. But you only had two lines - and they weren't between two characters (not dia)

Where I believe you really didn't succeed is characterization. Sure, there is a character, but really he could be anyone. Aside from "an awkward loser who finds it necessary to ask McDonald's for their 2 cent toys", there's nothing much about him. You never show if this guys is, say, stuck-up, maybe depressed, naive, or some trait. Preferably many traits but it isn't the longest story ever, so eh.

And while you did just as well as most creepypastas with suspense, I kind of figured the furby was going to be evil, cause, y'know, focus of the story. There's never a question about what the furby is, or what it will do. You know what really makes that scary movie scary, or a horror novel horrific? It's the constant sense that something will happen, but you don't know what. I was pretty scared playing Portal because the super-white walls and lack of noise aside from GlaDOS made everything super eerie. "Evil furby yells" is not suspenseful. Perhaps a story where the main character has to watch his move every step - and the furby only attacks when he leasts expects it - would be suspenseful at the least.

So yeah, it wasn't the worst thing I have ever read, you have decent grammar control, the plots pretty much there, but it wasn't the most captivating either.

Last edited by soupoftomato (2013-03-02 21:39:00)

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#1407 2013-03-02 22:10:15

777w
Scratcher

in some stories one dimensional characters are actually the better choice
it all depends on what effect you want to achieve
a murder mystery where the events are important might not focus so much on characterization, while a psychological thriller would need more character depth

#1408 2013-03-02 23:58:16

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Animeboy975 wrote:

banana500 wrote:

The one thing I take issue with is on banana500's list is dialogue - it is not necessary. But you only had two lines - and they weren't between two characters (not dia)

Where I believe you really didn't succeed is characterization. Sure, there is a character, but really he could be anyone. Aside from "an awkward loser who finds it necessary to ask McDonald's for their 2 cent toys", there's nothing much about him. You never show if this guys is, say, stuck-up, maybe depressed, naive, or some trait. Preferably many traits but it isn't the longest story ever, so eh.

And while you did just as well as most creepypastas with suspense, I kind of figured the furby was going to be evil, cause, y'know, focus of the story. There's never a question about what the furby is, or what it will do. You know what really makes that scary movie scary, or a horror novel horrific? It's the constant sense that something will happen, but you don't know what. I was pretty scared playing Portal because the super-white walls and lack of noise aside from GlaDOS made everything super eerie. "Evil furby yells" is not suspenseful. Perhaps a story where the main character has to watch his move every step - and the furby only attacks when he leasts expects it - would be suspenseful at the least.

So yeah, it wasn't the worst thing I have ever read, you have decent grammar control, the plots pretty much there, but it wasn't the most captivating either.

When I meant dialogue I also sort of meant point of view, forgot to mention that.

I found Animeboy's plot sequence to be all right, I liked how it would fast forward between different periods of time.

I agree that the suspense was a bit lacking, like soup said, we don't know what the furby is going to do. Murder the main character? That's just left for us to assume, really.

'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#1409 2013-03-03 02:22:52

NeilWest
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

NeilWest, Crackedpearl was great, all your scary stories are!

Thanks. I'm glad someone didn't fuel the trollpasta.

Fun fact: This is the trollpasta thread.

Last edited by NeilWest (2013-03-03 02:23:42)

#1410 2013-03-03 10:54:26

opiegs
Scratcher

777w wrote:

weegeeissparta wrote:

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

Nice trolling! Remember, it isn't creepypasta though.

Yah.
I just had to get it out SOMEWHERE.

not here

YES HERE

PIEPIEPIE cool

#1411 2013-03-03 11:08:08

opiegs
Scratcher

hungergamesfanatic wrote:

opiegs wrote:

777w wrote:

get back on topic

okay;once,there was a guy named shmnelvin.he was an astronaut.he studied black holes.(prepare for a runon sentence) he went to a blackhole and was pulled in by...seemingly himself?they

met a creepy guy in it,they killed him out of anger, his last words were ,i am you, they then died
this happens to someone new every day. are you next?

duhhhh i am obviously next

also no trollpasta :s

it wasnt supposed to be

PIEPIEPIE cool

#1412 2013-03-03 11:09:33

opiegs
Scratcher

NeilWest wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

hey everybody lets troll the creepypasta thread and creepy the trollpasta thread

Last edited by opiegs (2013-03-03 11:11:14)

PIEPIEPIE cool

#1413 2013-03-03 11:11:52

777w
Scratcher

777w wrote:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/817/slednog.jpg

nobody noticed the new and improved first post :'I
if its not already obvious im done and through with this thread bye

Last edited by 777w (2013-03-03 11:12:20)

#1414 2013-03-03 11:13:15

777w
Scratcher

opiegs wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

hey everybody lets troll the creepypasta thread and creepy the trollpasta thread

id be glad to help, except ive been banned 3 times and 4 times just sound annoying

#1415 2013-03-03 14:30:13

soupoftomato
Scratcher

777w wrote:

in some stories one dimensional characters are actually the better choice
it all depends on what effect you want to achieve
a murder mystery where the events are important might not focus so much on characterization, while a psychological thriller would need more character depth

Actually, every story type could have great benefits from a three dimensional character.

Not all characters in anything need to have tons of depth, but you do need some characters with depth in everything.

In a murder mystery, your three-dimensionalality would come from motive. Were they a respectable person before their crime? What drove them over the edge? Was there a buildup inside him? Does he feel guilty?

#1416 2013-03-03 14:33:17

soupoftomato
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Animeboy975 wrote:

When I meant dialogue I also sort of meant point of view, forgot to mention that.

I found Animeboy's plot sequence to be all right, I liked how it would fast forward between different periods of time.

I agree that the suspense was a bit lacking, like soup said, we don't know what the furby is going to do. Murder the main character? That's just left for us to assume, really.

Some assumption is alright, but there needs to be some element explained in the story. Some visible consequence before the end.
Not to praise myself, but if you remember Parasitic, we have the consequence being the town falling apart and people dyeing. This builds up drama, and with the ending, it leaves it open with the implication that the whole world will suffer this and the main character needs to stop it, but doesn't know how. Throughout that story, the random pieces of time where he "forgets" everything due to his self-diagnosed amnesia keep suspense open regarding what happened in the empty spots.

#1417 2013-03-04 21:11:20

opiegs
Scratcher

777w wrote:

opiegs wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

id be glad to help, except ive been banned 3 times and 4 times just sound annoying

when you have an alter ego/seperate account,anything is possible

PIEPIEPIE cool

#1418 2013-03-04 21:18:07

soupoftomato
Scratcher

opiegs wrote:

777w wrote:

opiegs wrote:

when you have an alter ego/seperate account,anything is possible

Is your IP showing the same or did you realize this flaw ahead of time and work around it?

#1419 2013-03-04 21:18:34

Firedrake969
Scratcher

You're not supposed to get around a ban with another account.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#1420 2013-03-04 21:24:29

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

I know this!

But I mean, they can't catch you with a "workaround" if your careful can they?

#1421 2013-03-04 21:29:24

Firedrake969
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

I know this!

But I mean, they can't catch you with a "workaround" if your careful can they?

One acronym:  IP

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#1422 2013-03-04 21:29:45

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Some assumption is alright, but there needs to be some element explained in the story. Some visible consequence before the end.
Not to praise myself, but if you remember Parasitic, we have the consequence being the town falling apart and people dyeing. This builds up drama, and with the ending, it leaves it open with the implication that the whole world will suffer this and the main character needs to stop it, but doesn't know how. Throughout that story, the random pieces of time where he "forgets" everything due to his self-diagnosed amnesia keep suspense open regarding what happened in the empty spots.

I do remember that story, and remember it being quite good (and remember being the first replier on that topic as well!).

But I thought that the whole parasite thing in the back of his mind was just himself, I didn't figure it would lead to a pandemic.

I'm not too great at writing horror, but I'm trying my hand at a psychological thriller and it should end up being pretty long (most of my short stories do, going up to usually 4000-6000 words...)

'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#1423 2013-03-04 21:38:14

soupoftomato
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

I do remember that story, and remember it being quite good (and remember being the first replier on that topic as well!).

But I thought that the whole parasite thing in the back of his mind was just himself, I didn't figure it would lead to a pandemic.

I'm not too great at writing horror, but I'm trying my hand at a psychological thriller and it should end up being pretty long (most of my short stories do, going up to usually 4000-6000 words...)

Calling 4000 to 6000 words long seems weird to me
Regardless of it being a short story
My pitiful attempt at NaNoWriMo, what did you do to my sense of scale!

#1424 2013-03-04 21:42:37

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Calling 4000 to 6000 words long seems weird to me
Regardless of it being a short story
My pitiful attempt at NaNoWriMo, what did you do to my sense of scale!

I know, most short stories reach to about 11000, from the ones I've read, but eh, 6000 is a pretty big accomplishment for me, considering how my first attempt at NaNoWriMo (at age nine, not too long before I made this account in fact) was only 15000, and that was a huge undertaking back then.

'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#1425 2013-03-05 02:10:48

NeilWest
Scratcher

There are three types of pasta:

Creepypasta: Creepy stories full of scary elements.
Trollpasta: Cliche'd or satarical creepypasta.
Creepyspam: opieg spamming this thread. SO STOP IT.

Board footer